Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Terraria

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released May 16, 2011

The first major 2D entry into the world of "open world" sandbox action-adventure games, Terraria is inspired by 16-bit platformers and allows players to mine for ores, craft new equipment, and fight monstrous bosses in a large procedurally-generated world.

Terraria developer can't take a joke and hates fun.

• 175 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By LordXavierBritish

Apparently the Terraria developer hates everything that is right and just in the world and also can't take a joke. Early today the Terraria review by The Best Gamers, the most unbiased and scathing reviewers on the internet, was taken down because Terraria developer, Andrew Spinks, is a bad person.

That's just the fact of the matter. I didn't say that, everyone did, because it's true.

Is this the world we want to live in people? Where developers are allowed to remove opinions from the internet just because they had their feelings hurt? Because that sounds like some bull shit to me.

Needless to say, I will not be purchasing the Terraria 4-Pack as I originally planned because I already got someone to buy it for me, BUT THAT IS NOT THE POINT.

The point is that if you pay money for Terraria you are endorsing the silencing of professional journalists and are also a disgusting individual for supporting that. Why would you support that? Fuck you.

EDIT: Here is the original review in all its re-uploaded glory. YOU CAN'T STOP THE TRUTH TERRARIA.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Cant tell if sarcastic. 

You having parts of it bold confuses me. 
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Animasta

what happened exactly, your bold words are "funny" but that doesn't exactly say what actually happened.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By FancySoapsMan

It's still a good game though.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LordXavierBritish
    @Laketown said:
    what happened exactly, your bold words are "funny" but that doesn't exactly say what actually happened.
    That is what happened. The developer of Terraria went to Youtube and made them take The Best Gamer's review down.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @LordXavierBritish said:

@Laketown said:

That is what happened. The developer of Terraria went to Youtube and made them take The Best Gamer's review down.
    I just saw the review. Its a stupid joke. I agree its harmless. Chances are the Dev just over reacted. 

It seems sort of like " A kid is poking at a rabbit. You could tell him to stop. But its more amusing to watch and wait till he gets bit" 

All in all they should have ignored the video. 
    Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Nekroskop

The Best Gamers USA are satire and Blue is just butthurt since he(I assume it's just one guy) doesn't get it

Notch certainly didn't give a damn about the review of his game.
    Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Johnny5

I would think something like, nah its just some suits from PR, but I don't know if a small game like that has a PR agent lol

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By clstirens

That video just seemed juvenile.

Also, before anyone asks, no I do not own Terraria, nor have I ever played it.

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Johnny5

Eh, thats the style he does ALL his videos in it seems like. Are you gonna go and all the Angry Video Game Nerd a juvenile? xD

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By MistaSparkle

I like Minecraft!

WVUEers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By WVUEers

Maybe he just doesn't find their particular brand of humor funny or respectable, it is in fact his work after all which inclines him to dictate how people use footage from said work. To be honest his reaction might be juvenile (I find it kind of understandable, try telling someone to have a sense of humor about something they've worked their ass off on for years) but your reaction is more so juvenile. All parties involved just like sad, lonely, souls.

Also you yourself said it was a joke, so I fail to see how they're professional journalists. Not to mention he didn't force them to remove their review, just the video that uses his game footage. He's not silencing their voice or whatever martyrdom you want to play out, he's just stopping them from using his own IP, they could repost the review multiple ways. Seriously this is not the grave injustice you're spinning it to be.
    MyNameIsJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MyNameIsJoe

If that review is what passes for professional journalism then the end of the world must really be at hand

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By mikemcn
    I think the developer had every right to be angry, he knew his project was better than that, and didn't appreciate some idiot website kicking him in the groin for the sake of a few laughs. For such a small game even a fake bad review can be damaging.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By donchipotle

We call this 'Pulling a Wiseau'

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By onarum

To be fair though that "review" is pretty stupid and makes a whole lot of incorrect claims about the game, also has anyone checked the forums attached to that website? jesus... does everyone there act like complete retards on purpose? here's an excerpt :

i make it a personul gol of mine to play at least one hitty game a week four at least one hour (so i m cultured maybve?  ) and thus was is this weeks game

im a hgacker jhust so u kno and i was luking thru his code (yeah im leet() and he wrote it like a KID   thue game only uses 1 line of code for evry line: if t(xDt) iu mean jesus christ is he 12   

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ryanwho

If you hate something like looks like a person took RPG maker 2000 assets and worked them into Gamemaker 98, you hate life and the world and fun.
    Terry_Bogard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Terry_Bogard
    @LordXavierBritish said: 
    The point is that if you pay money for Terraria you are endorsing the silencing of professional journalists and are also a disgusting individual for supporting that. Why would you support that? Fuck you.

I'm gonna buy it to spite you.
    Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sanity

Personally i couldn't care less and the game is great so its your loss if you don't buy it. And that review is shit, its not even funny, just flat-out tasteless.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By xpgamer7

Sounds crappy on both ends. 2D minecraft is still awesome.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HandsomeDead

I can't believe I did it, but I went on that best gamers shit and I can only come to the conclusion that this was done on purpose to bump views of their site because that review is so terribly unfunny that no one could get offended by it.

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NekuCTR

If you ask me everyone involved is an asshole. I heard the review by that dude, and it was the most annoying piece of garbage that I had ever heard, I actually went and bought the game shortly after partially to spite the review, and to see if it really was the "worst game created" like he said, it's not. that said Terrarian developer dude needs to chill out and take 1 bad review.

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By amomjc

That video was stupid and tasteless. They took it down because there is a difference between a joke and someone just berating something for the hell of it.

EDIT: Oh, and for the love of god, why would anyone take the time out of their day to hear the voice in that review? I mean god, can there be more spit-smacking and lack of breathing in between words in one individual. It made me cringe just to hear his slander, but i plowed on through only to be angry at the crap he thought was worth talking about.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By thatfrood

developer needs to grow a pair. who gets offended by a shitty review by shitty humorists? I promise you he lost no sales due to that video.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By phish09

I don't understand.  Why would a person who "hates fun" choose video game development as a career?

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Slaker117

I found the review incredibly unfunny, but getting upset over it is just dumb.

Also, yes it is satirical. Obviously.

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By amomjc

I am not going to endorse overreacting and the such, but really if you put yourself in his shoes, this would offend the creator more than the audience. You work hard, pour your heart and soul into something, to find a terrible review like that is borderline offensive. It's not like jumping onto a credible site who gives an honest review (even if it is negative), its a couple of children making videos that I really don't understand how they can afford their own website.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By onarum
    @csoup said:
    I am not going to endorse overreacting and the such, but really if you put yourself in his shoes, this would offend the creator more than the audience. You work hard, pour your heart and soul into something, to find a terrible review like that is borderline offensive. It's not like jumping onto a credible site who gives an honest review (even if it is negative), its a couple of children making videos that I really don't understand how they can afford their own website.
    true, seriously that entire site looks like a joke, and not a good one.
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

If it's personal then you shouldn't take this to forums but talk to the developers.

If it is you really got offended about something that doesn't concern you.
    Peace out.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

That guy has an annoying speech impediment.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Snipzor

That review sucked something fierce. Christ, he has the humour even Lyle Chipperson would make fun of. I can understand why he couldn't take the joke that didn't exist.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MrKlorox

The Best Gamers are big fat pussies and should also lose any traffic from you since they caved. Fuck them too.

logicfracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By logicfracture

I found his "review" to be really immature and not funny at all.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By onarum
    @LordXavierBritish said:

@WVUEers said:

Also you yourself said it was a joke, so I fail to see how they're professional journalists. Not to mention he didn't force them to remove their review, just the video that uses his game footage. He's not silencing their voice or whatever martyrdom you want to play out, he's just stopping them from using his own IP, they could repost the review multiple ways. Seriously this is not the grave injustice you're spinning it to be.

That isn't how intellectual copyright works, if that were true then there would be no bad reviews on any site, period.

Maybe you don't understand how big of a deal this is.

Maybe I have to take it all the way up to heading level 3.

Have you even watched the "review"? I agree the dev was wrong on doing what he did, not for the same reason you are pointing, but for the same reason you wouldn't get back at a 10 year old for calling you names, because that was pretty much what that video was, it didn't showed even a third of what the game haves, it didn't addressed any mechanics, all it did was spout a bunch of nonsense and juvenile provocation going as far as mocking the dev directly, that can't be considered a real review by any stretch of imagination.

Also take a look at the forums of that website to see what is the target audience for this "review", that's all that needs to be said really.
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onarum said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@WVUEers said:

That isn't how intellectual copyright works, if that were true then there would be no bad reviews on any site, period.

Maybe you don't understand how big of a deal this is.

Maybe I have to take it all the way up to heading level 3.

Have you even watched the "review"? I agree the dev was wrong on doing what he did, not for the same reason you are pointing, but for the same reason you wouldn't get back at a 10 year old for calling you names, because that was pretty much what that video was, it didn't showed even a third of what the game haves, it didn't addressed any mechanics, all it did was spout a bunch of nonsense and juvenile provocation going as far as mocking the dev directly, that can't be considered a real review by any stretch of imagination.Also take a look at the forums of that website to see what is the target audience for this "review", that's all that needs to be said really.
    This post is incredibly funny to me.

Also yes, I've watched it. Several times.

I found it informative.
    SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SomeDeliCook

The Terraria developer can't possibly hate fun, because they made a fun ass game.

caityful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By caityful

That's weird, if the developer really did do that... But regardless, its a pretty good game.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @HandsomeDead said:
    I can't believe I did it, but I went on that best gamers shit and I can only come to the conclusion that this was done on purpose to bump views of their site because that review is so terribly unfunny that no one could get offended by it.
    I was thinking the same thing. How do we know they did not just remove it them selves? Or enough community reports got it removed? 
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By Video_Game_King

Man, that was a pretty aggressive yet impotent review. I think I can see why they removed the video, though: the end part where the reviewer called the maker of the game a pussy.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@HandsomeDead said:

I was thinking the same thing. How do we know they did not just remove it them selves? Or enough community reports got it removed? 
    Because on the original youtube video it says it was taken down by Teh Gamez which is the previous company name Blue used; he probably thought he could hide behind it and people wouldn't find out it was him.

I thought that was a joke name at first too, but apparently it is totally real.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @LordXavierBritish said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@HandsomeDead said:

Because on the original youtube video it says it was taken down by Teh Gamez which is the previous company name Blue used, he probably thought he could hide behind it and people wouldn't find out it was him.I thought that was a joke name at first too, but apparently it is totally real.
    I watched it again and insulting someone like that at the end gave the guy perfect right to remove it. Even know the video was very childish. He went all out on a personal attack on the guy. Which im pretty sure can get you in trouble on youtube. 

Also now on their main page they are more or less calling him gay. So ya..."The best gamers" are a punch of ass holes. 
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_Laughing_Man said:
    @LordXavierBritish said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@HandsomeDead said:

Because on the original youtube video it says it was taken down by Teh Gamez which is the previous company name Blue used, he probably thought he could hide behind it and people wouldn't find out it was him.I thought that was a joke name at first too, but apparently it is totally real.
    I watched it again and insulting someone like that at the end gave the guy perfect right to remove it. Even know the video was very childish. He went all out on a personal attack on the guy. Which im pretty sure can get you in trouble on youtube. 

Also now on their main page they are more or less calling him gay. So ya..."The best gamers" are a punch of ass holes. 
    That's the point.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    @LordXavierBritish said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@HandsomeDead said:

That's the point.
    And you have no issues with the personal attacks on Blue? 
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_Laughing_Man said:
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    @LordXavierBritish said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@HandsomeDead said:

That's the point.
    And you have no issues with the personal attacks on Blue? 
    It's the internet.

So no, not really. I don't see how this is any different from any other developer that has been insulted ever.
    heat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By heat

that is not what the DMCA is for

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @heat said:
    exactly.  I find it ironic that it was used to protect his IP and yet his IP completely thieves from Minecraft.
    heat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By heat
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    @heat said:
    exactly.  I find it ironic that it was used to protect his IP and yet his IP completely thieves from Minecraft.
    ...what.  Minecraft doesn't have rights to "Blocks and digging".
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @heat said:
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    @heat said:
    Just because you can't copyright a concept that doesn't make Terraria any less of a theft of idea and execution.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    @heat said:
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    @heat said:
    Just because you can't copyright a concept that doesn't make Terraria any less of a theft of idea and execution.
    And minecraft is based on another game that is a lot like it. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.