Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Terraria

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released May 16, 2011

The first major 2D entry into the world of "open world" sandbox action-adventure games, Terraria is inspired by 16-bit platformers and allows players to mine for ores, craft new equipment, and fight monstrous bosses in a large procedurally-generated world.

Terraria; I don't get it.

Chontamenti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Chontamenti

At the 1st January. I bought Terraria for 3,39€ (4,56$ thank god!) instead of 9,99€. (13,45$)

I played for 28 Minutes. And I'm done with it.

I don't get it! I knew it was about "build your World!" and it has a Minecrafty-Vibe. I love Minecraft, played with for 30-35 hours in the XBLA-Version. So why is Terraria not gripping me? I love 2D-Worlds, I love that I can build stuff (like I said Minecraft was a lot of fun!) But Terraria gives me nothing! I digged my "House" and quit the game.

I thought "yeah I will play it tomorrow" but NOPE .. 28 Minutes. It was 22 Minutes when I stopped the first time. And since then I did "go back" for 2-4 Times. But after one ore two minutes I think "huh.. I rather play *** or read a book."

Now MY question is: Why is it gripping you? Because I don't see the appeal, but like I wrote usually I like those kind of games!

Chontamenti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Chontamenti

At the 1st January. I bought Terraria for 3,39€ (4,56$ thank god!) instead of 9,99€. (13,45$)

I played for 28 Minutes. And I'm done with it.

I don't get it! I knew it was about "build your World!" and it has a Minecrafty-Vibe. I love Minecraft, played with for 30-35 hours in the XBLA-Version. So why is Terraria not gripping me? I love 2D-Worlds, I love that I can build stuff (like I said Minecraft was a lot of fun!) But Terraria gives me nothing! I digged my "House" and quit the game.

I thought "yeah I will play it tomorrow" but NOPE .. 28 Minutes. It was 22 Minutes when I stopped the first time. And since then I did "go back" for 2-4 Times. But after one ore two minutes I think "huh.. I rather play *** or read a book."

Now MY question is: Why is it gripping you? Because I don't see the appeal, but like I wrote usually I like those kind of games!

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By project343

It is significantly more 'hardcore gamey' than Minecraft. You summon bosses, find rare loot, and stuff like that. I'd suggest giving a game more than half an hour before judging it.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By FancySoapsMan

It's a lot more fun to play with friends.

My friend and I had a lot of fun dicking around digging tunnels and the like, even though we never actually accomplished anything.

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ToxicFruit

That is how i felt when i first tried it, but once you give it more time and really start digging into it you will find a lot.

Also play with friends or a friend is also fun.

Just start exploring and digging. That is when you find most the loot and components to make your gear or new items.

Give it a little more time is all i can say

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By MikkaQ

I think this game's more about fighting shit than Minecraft is.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By VoshiNova

Yea I didn't get it either.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By McGhee

I "digged" all kinds of shit in Terraria.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

But if you just built a little hole-in-the-dirt house and then quit the game, you're so obviously doing it wrong. Terraria is about exploration and discovery, finding items and figuring out what they do, summoning bosses, finding the dungeon, etc.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Justin258

I liked it for about 19 hours. I played it mostly with my brother, and once you start to get into it's pretty fun. It's definitely more of a game than Minecraft is - Terraria is mostly about progression and getting the best stuff and fighting the biggest monsters; building a house is actually something of a secondary goal in the game as far as I'm concerned. This is why Terraria is sometimes called a Metroidvania game by people who have actually played it.

It is by no means "just a 2D Minecraft", despite obviously being inspired by Minecraft.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mellotronrules

since it's largely a game where you get what you put into it, maybe give it another 28 minutes?

MURDERSMASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By MURDERSMASH

It sounds like you didn't know where to go, or what to look for. Do you know some of the basic mechanics? Like, building multiple rooms of a certain size with furnishings and light will cause NPC's to move in? Or that there's an enchanter hidden in the world somewhere that will put permanent enhancements on your weapons? Or that there's hidden underground houses with loot chests to look for? Yeah, i'd agree that if you were just running around on the surface stabbing at slimes for about 20 minutes it would get boring, but there's so much more to work towards in this game compared to Minecraft (besides building insane structures) that I think you just need to give it another shot.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By breadfan

Terraria is dope. Pro tip: just dig down.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By viking_funeral

It's not so much the building aspect, as it is the loot and discovery aspect. Think more Metroid with construction.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.