Where did my time go?

Posted by xxizzypop (577 posts) -

Damn you Terraria. Damn you all to hell. I had a life once. I had a family who loved me, a girlfriend. A home. A job. A future. And then you walked in. That's incredibly hyperbolic and I haven't actually turned into a pseudo-heroin junkie (yet), but the amount of fun I'm having with this game, or at least the amount of time that I want to sit down and sink in to it, is crazy.

For Christmas, I received a new laptop as a gift, and it works tremendously better than the one I previously was using, to the point where I felt good about maybe actually possibly playing a game on it. So I downloaded Steam again, recovered my log-in information from the days where I created an account in an attempt to play TF2 with my high school classmates, and got down to business with their holiday sales.

Seriously. My old computer couldn't run this with consistent FPS at the lowest settings.

Now Terraria was game that seemed to be incredible. The Quick Look painted an incredibly positive image of it, and the staff members who played it seemed to have really good things to say about it, and best of all, it was $2.50, less than the cost of a meal and well worth the price of admission. It was Minecraft, but with an art style that doesn't actively repulse me, and with some measure of in-game guidance. I didn't need to spend an hour downloading mods and digging through questionable Wikis and YouTube tutorials -- I could just play the game. There were some things that I really had to work at to get a hang of, such as effectively fighting enemies and developing good housing, but eventually, it came to me. And then, it was a game. Exploration had a measure of joy where I can strike out in any direction and find things to do. Combat wasn't an excruciating task, there was a better sense of randomness in my stumbling across caves that extend every which way in a seemingly endless manner. It's such a different experience than I've had in games that are similar, in that I don't have to treat it like work. I can just have some sweet, unadulterated fun.

I sank about 6 hours in directly after the game installed, after which I heavily debated calling out sick the next day. I didn't even really do much, other than create an apartment building for NPCs, but the simply act of mining, fighting off enemies and plain old exploration was just so much fun, that I didn't notice.

I don't know what it is about this game, but I enjoy it, more than I feel like I should, and I'm excited to sink unholy amounts of time in to it, if only to build a world-consuming castle.

#1 Posted by xxizzypop (577 posts) -

Damn you Terraria. Damn you all to hell. I had a life once. I had a family who loved me, a girlfriend. A home. A job. A future. And then you walked in. That's incredibly hyperbolic and I haven't actually turned into a pseudo-heroin junkie (yet), but the amount of fun I'm having with this game, or at least the amount of time that I want to sit down and sink in to it, is crazy.

For Christmas, I received a new laptop as a gift, and it works tremendously better than the one I previously was using, to the point where I felt good about maybe actually possibly playing a game on it. So I downloaded Steam again, recovered my log-in information from the days where I created an account in an attempt to play TF2 with my high school classmates, and got down to business with their holiday sales.

Seriously. My old computer couldn't run this with consistent FPS at the lowest settings.

Now Terraria was game that seemed to be incredible. The Quick Look painted an incredibly positive image of it, and the staff members who played it seemed to have really good things to say about it, and best of all, it was $2.50, less than the cost of a meal and well worth the price of admission. It was Minecraft, but with an art style that doesn't actively repulse me, and with some measure of in-game guidance. I didn't need to spend an hour downloading mods and digging through questionable Wikis and YouTube tutorials -- I could just play the game. There were some things that I really had to work at to get a hang of, such as effectively fighting enemies and developing good housing, but eventually, it came to me. And then, it was a game. Exploration had a measure of joy where I can strike out in any direction and find things to do. Combat wasn't an excruciating task, there was a better sense of randomness in my stumbling across caves that extend every which way in a seemingly endless manner. It's such a different experience than I've had in games that are similar, in that I don't have to treat it like work. I can just have some sweet, unadulterated fun.

I sank about 6 hours in directly after the game installed, after which I heavily debated calling out sick the next day. I didn't even really do much, other than create an apartment building for NPCs, but the simply act of mining, fighting off enemies and plain old exploration was just so much fun, that I didn't notice.

I don't know what it is about this game, but I enjoy it, more than I feel like I should, and I'm excited to sink unholy amounts of time in to it, if only to build a world-consuming castle.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.