Anyone Else Really Good at Packing from playing lots of Tetris?

#1 Posted by Nightriff (4930 posts) -

So for a few years I worked at Costco and every now and again we would have to help people (lazy assholes typically) pack things into their cars. And always by the time I'm finished I was hit with a "Wow you are really good at packing." And just joking around I would say I played a lot of Tetris as that is a game 99% of people know. But I really do think Tetris taught me how organize and put things in proper order, as stupid as it is. Anyone else's have similar experiences with Tetris?

Or any game in that matter? Any other weird useful skills people learned from games?

#2 Posted by Snail (8584 posts) -

I have played a lot of Tetris and I suck at packing.

#3 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

i used to load unload trucks for jails and i was allways good at it cuz of tetris. id usually hum the theme lol

#4 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2009 posts) -

Someone should conduct a study on whether Tetris actually helps with packing skills or not. I personally haven't played enough Tetris to know, but would start if there was substantial evidence in the form of an empirical, scientific study that found a correlation between packing and Tetris competency!

#5 Posted by wordfalling (193 posts) -

I learned everything I need to know about animal husbandry from Viva Pinata.

#6 Posted by ShaggE (6348 posts) -

I definitely go into a Tetris zen state when packing stuff. I'm no neat freak, but if I were, I'd be a damn good one.

#7 Posted by innacces14 (735 posts) -

Pretty good at packing live equipment in whatever vehicle gets thrown at me, but I suck at Tetris.

#8 Posted by Nightriff (4930 posts) -

@EquitasInvictus: I will do it, but I need a 50,000 to fund the survey, got some spare change?

#9 Posted by believer258 (11683 posts) -

@wordfalling said:

I learned everything I need to know about animal husbandry from Viva Pinata.

Wait, so what does Tetris have to do with bestiality?

On topic, the two might have something to do with each other but there's no way to be sure. A better phrasing might be "organizing things", not "packing".

#10 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2009 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

@EquitasInvictus: I will do it, but I need a 50,000 to fund the survey, got some spare change?

Let me pass it to some desperate Packaging Engineering faculty from school, I'm sure they know people who have grants in their pockets for this kind of "business."

#11 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -

No, because my personal belongings don't look like tetris pieces.

#12 Posted by Nightriff (4930 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

Imagination man

#13 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

@JasonR86 said:

Imagination man

Fuck that.

#14 Posted by Nightriff (4930 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@Nightriff said:

@JasonR86 said:

Imagination man

Fuck that.

No imagination, that's why we play video games

#15 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

Possibly. I'm pretty good at packing things, I love Tetris and have played a lot of it over the years, but I don't know if there's any correlation between those things.

#16 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -

@Soapy86 said:

I'm pretty good at packing things...

Boom.

#17 Posted by BeachThunder (11725 posts) -

Whenever I try to pack things neatly, my stuff just vanishes :(

#18 Posted by coakroach (2488 posts) -

Your ability to fit random falling two dimensional geometric shapes into lines has tenuous link at best with your ability to analyse the size and malleability of three dimensional objects and place them into a container in an effective way.

Probably.

#19 Edited by cid798 (240 posts) -

I don't travel much but when putting groceries on the conveyor at market, child please !

Edit: My distrust of check out persons makes me put groceries in order of all dry or ice together.

#20 Posted by ImHungry (376 posts) -

I'm pretty good at packing stuff, but not that great with Tetris. But those inordinate amounts of hours spent organising inventory in Diablo 2 and RE, now there's something that might have helped me in packing.

#21 Posted by Genkkaku (734 posts) -

@EquitasInvictus said:

Someone should conduct a study on whether Tetris actually helps with packing skills or not. I personally haven't played enough Tetris to know, but would start if there was substantial evidence in the form of an empirical, scientific study that found a correlation between packing and Tetris competency!

Well there is this http://kotaku.com/5569820/packing-tips-from-a-tetris-master.. But knowing all the dumb things that people study I can assume there's on floating around

#22 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Just cramming it in there works for me. Wish you could do that in Tetris as well.

#23 Posted by FirePrince (1763 posts) -

@Snail said:

I have played a lot of Tetris and I suck at packing.

#24 Posted by Jimbo (9776 posts) -

Yep. In fact I'm so good at packing that my stuff just vanishes.

#25 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

@DoctorDanger99 said:

i used to load unload trucks for jails and i was always good at it cuz of tetris. id usually hum the theme lol

You were transporting prisoners while singing russian music?. Are you a fellow communist?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.