Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The 3rd Birthday

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Dec 22, 2010

The 3rd Birthday revisits the cult 90s favorite Parasite Eve and updates it with more action-orientated gameplay, heavy RPG elements, and a new story.

a mixed bag then.....

akeripper4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By akeripper4

in some ways it might be awesome (combat) 
    but i thought they had learnt something from the demon baby fight in the first one.......

akeripper4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By akeripper4

but the soundtrack is kick ass

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Jaktajj
    @akeripper4: Thinking of picking this up some time soon, but never played any previous Parasite Eve games. How is it?
    monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By monetarydread

I enjoy it. The game is a lot better than Parasite Eve 2. I may be a little biased though, I hated the second because they removed pretty much any sort of RPG mechanics, and they seem to be back in the 3rd Birthday. I am only about an hour in, but I enjoy it.

My only real concerns at the moment is the story isn't as interesting as the 1st Parasite Eve and the controls are alright for a PSP shooter, but not compared to a console game.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By KaosAngel

It's not Nomura's best work, but he is 100% focused on Versus XIII at the moment I wasn't surprised.  PE died after the first game.

Avatar image for rampageassassin
    RampageAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By RampageAssassin

Thinking about getting it but been put off by the mixed reviews. Should I get it ?

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KaosAngel
    @RampageAssassin: I say no.  It has no connection to either the book or the two games.  Nomura wasn't in control of it, so it turned out shitty.  It's just a subpar action game with clothes breaking off.
    ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By ssj4raditz
    @KaosAngel: Oh man, the disintegrating clothing is ridiculous!
    PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By PixelPrinny
    @KaosAngel said:

" @RampageAssassin: I say no.  It has no connection to either the book or the two games.  Nomura wasn't in control of it, so it turned out shitty.  It's just a subpar action game with clothes breaking off. "

While I've decided to pass on it for now, would you say it's worth a bargain bin price of, say, $10 for a fan of the original game, just for shits and giggles or best to avoid it entirely?
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KaosAngel
    @PixelPrinny: 10 bucks for a 5-10 hours of gameplay sounds good.  It's just so damn empty without any inspiration.  The first one was unique, the second was a RE clone but had magic...but this is just so dull.  It's better than what you'd pay for a movie, and hopefully if it sells enough at a low price Nomura gets an inspiration to make a proper one after V13 and KH3.  
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Aus_azn

This game is okay. It's not as "scary" as previous PE games was; it's a bit more like a portable TPS done right.

It's one of the few games that I've enjoyed on my PSP.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By ReyGitano

Mixed bags can be fine, as long as the pieces are greater than the sum of their parts... 
    >_> 
    <_<

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By lead_farmer

It's alright so far.  I'm only a few missions in though.  Somebody please tell me the enemies become more varied as you get further in the game.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KaosAngel
    @SlashseveN303 In this game's case, some of the sum of the parts contain some greatness, some other parts of the sum do not. It just doesn't feel like PE.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Aus_azn
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @SlashseveN303 In this game's case, some of the sum of the parts contain some greatness, some other parts of the sum do not. It just doesn't feel like PE. "
    It's not meant to be. Should Wikipedia's plot outline be correct, it's basically eschewing all of PE and using the Aya connection on a tangential basis as a way of explaining the events in the story.
    akeripper4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By akeripper4

my problem with it so far is that there are some annoying spikes in difficulty 
    plus you some time run around confused as FFFFF SHOT WHAT FACEDESK 
    also camera... kinda

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Hearing that the story was done by the same writers as Crisis Core has really put me off, that was some of the worst stories that's ever been told in a game and from what I hear of this, it's very possibly a contender for absolute worst ever.  I also don't know if I could bring myself to play another mediocre third person shooter, especially if there's nothing special holding it together.. 

Disappointing.
    HakenBrowning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By HakenBrowning
    @lead_farmer said:
    " It's alright so far.  I'm only a few missions in though.  Somebody please tell me the enemies become more varied as you get further in the game. "
    An average of about one and a half new species per episode tickle your fancy?

...but yeah, aside from some situational enemies, it's mostly Slackers and Wads. And Beans. If it's any consolation, you'll learn to hate the latter two on anything above Normal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.