Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Adventures of Tintin

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 06, 2011

The tie-in to the Steven Spielberg/Peter Jackson Tintin movie, it was developed by Ubisoft Montpellier.

Tintin Videogame

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

No Caption Provided

Paramount Digital Entertainment andUbisoft Entertainment, have announced a joint venture for the development of a videogame based on the upcoming film adaptation of the comic book, "Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn". The video game is expected to launch simultaneously with the film adaptation. The film, distributed by Paramount Pictures and Sony Pictures Entertainment, is said to utilise state-of-the-art, next-generation performance capture techniques.

The film will be released in the U.S on 23rd December 2011, and internationally in late October and early November 2

Ubisoft's Montpelier studio will work with Director and Producer Steven Spielberg, as well as ProducersPeter Jackson andKathleen Kennedy, to develop a unique and thrilling game that is closely tied to the upcoming motion picture.

"We look forward to working with Ubisoft and the filmmakers to create exciting new interactive adventures for Tintin. The upcoming video game will reintroduce Tintin to a whole new generation of gamers."

- Thomas Lesinski, President, Paramount Digital Entertainment.

"We're incredibly excited to have the opportunity to work on the Tintin game. We're honoured to bring one of the world's most iconic comic characters to life in this new title."

- Christian Salomon, Vice President of Worldwide Licensing at Ubisoft.

I loved the books, as a kid I read them all and loved them all, they were a great way for learning about other countries and cultures around the world. (Even if they were quite racist at times in hindsight) I found them to be fascinating reads and sometimes really quite funny. The Tin Tin series has some really awesome stories and characters, I cannot wait to see them come to life in videogame form finally.

No Caption Provided

Any fans of Captain Haddock here on Giant Bomb?. Blistering barnacles!, what do you mean you have never heard of him?!, his run ins with Calculus were lol worthy. I am guessing he will make an appearance in the new film what with it being the Secret of the Unicorn, where they first meet.

No Caption Provided

I recently went to the Tin Tin Store in London, where I was told they are opening thisTintin museum in Belgium.

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

Yes

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Axersia

There's a movie coming up? :O

And do they even know what Tintin is in the US?

I'll be looking forward to the movie, but I can't really get excited for a game based on a licensed property.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_A_Drain

Awesome. I hope it's not some 3d adventure crap, should either be a 2d platformer in the adventure style (Abe's Oddysee, Flashback, Another World etc) or a flat out adventure/puzzle game.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Axersia said:
    " There's a movie coming up? :OAnd do they even know what Tintin is in the US?I'll be looking forward to the movie, but I can't really get excited for a game based on a licensed property. "

I wonder also, and I doubt it, at least certainly not to the degree we in Europe are aware.  Spielberg and Jackson are fans though, they were raised on them also.

It would be very positive for American kids to get a insight into other cultures around the world via these books, hopefully they will see some future success in the US.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Tintin would be perfect as an adventure game. It's something I would love to see Telltale do, they are excellent at taking other peoples IP's and turning them into a great adventure game. Well, it looks like that isn't going to happen. Do ubi have any dev teams with adventure game experience? Or are they going to try to turn it into your standard crappy action/adventure movie licensed game? I hope they do it properly. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By penguindust

There was a Tin Tin cartoon that ran on HBO (cable tv) in the 90s so Americans are aware of the character.  We also know Babar and Asterix, too.  While I can't argue with the credibility of the source material, is this any different than attempts to make games from any other license? 

Tin Tin always reminded me of a male-centric version of Little Orphan Annie.  Both were kids, both had adventures, both had dog companions and both ran around the same time period (Tin Tin in 1929 and Annie in 1924).  I'm not criticising Tin Tin in this comparison, it's just something I noticed.  They also have a similar art style but many comics did in that era. 

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By dudacles

Wow, Tintin. That just sounds weird to me, as a Dutch-speaking Belgian. His original name is "Kuifje", which translates to "little cowlick". :p

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @dudacles said:
    " Wow, Tintin. That just sounds weird to me, as a Dutch-speaking Belgian. His original name is "Kuifje", which translates to "little cowlick". :p "

The world knows him under many names, Herge's work has been translated into almost every known language there is. Thanks for the fact.

@PenguinDust said:
    " There was a Tin Tin cartoon that ran on HBO (cable tv) in the 90s so Americans are aware of the character.  We also know Babar and Asterix, too.  While I can't argue with the credibility of the source material, is this any different than attempts to make games from any other license? 

Tin Tin always reminded me of a male-centric version of Little Orphan Annie.  Both were kids, both had adventures, both had dog companions and both ran around the same time period (Tin Tin in 1929 and Annie in 1924).  I'm not criticising Tin Tin in this comparison, it's just something I noticed.  They also have a similar art style but many comics did in that era.  "

I had no real interest in the cartoon (seen below), it wasn't a patch on the real thing which is reading the books with their fantastic illustrations.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Snail

I don't know if this is good news.

Lyphen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lyphen

I'm sure Ubisoft will try their best, as it is a European property that most have grown up on.

Or, at least I hope.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Emilio

Pfft, just give me a new Popeye game... not by Ubisoft, please.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Insectecutor
    @Linkyshinks said:
    "Any fans of Captain Haddock here on Giant Bomb?. Blistering barnacles!"
    Yes, although I'm disappointed that most people in the US seem to think Tintin was a TV show. The TV series was childish and rubbish.
    Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Snowy is the real star.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#15  Edited By JackiJinx

Yep. Ubisoft announced this at their press conference last week, but barely said anything beyond that. Not sure what to think of it.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Origina1Penguin said:
    " Snowy is the real star. "

He is, he's been a essential part of the comedy throughout.  My memory is patchy, but I do remember liking the one where he gets drunk, and the ones where good and evil Snowy's appear above him, and he battles with his conscience. He has even saved the day if I recall correctly.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By torus

Ten thousand thundering typhoons!

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @torus said:
    " Ten thousand thundering typhoons! "

I wonder who's doing the voice for him in the film :)

"Billions of blue blistering barnacles in ten thousand thundering thyphoons!" - Captain Haddock

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By oraknabo

I fucking love Haddock.

If Ubi can filterTintin into a game as well as they have with Naruto, I'll be pretty satisfied. I hope they base it more on the books than the movie. Tintin needs lots of interesting locations and missions to explore.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By buzz_killington

I have read every single book, and love the series. And they are conbining three of the best books for the movie.  But what I read over at Wikipedia worries me: they are adding new characters and extending the Sir Francis Haddock flashbacks...

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By natetodamax

Aha, I remember watching those in French class.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By Video_Game_King

A French company making a video game based on a French comic? Zut alors :P!

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Absurd
    @Linkyshinks said:
    "
    @Axersia said:
    " There's a movie coming up? :OAnd do they even know what Tintin is in the US?I'll be looking forward to the movie, but I can't really get excited for a game based on a licensed property. "

I wonder also, and I doubt it, at least certainly not to the degree we in Europe are aware.  Spielberg and Jackson are fans though, they were raised on them also.

It would be very positive for American kids to get a insight into other cultures around the world via these books, hopefully they will see some future success in the US. "
    I'm Canadian and I used to read Tintin, although my parents are european.
    Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By Snipzor

I love Tintin, have the originals in Flemish. It's great.

I just wish I could read them.
    GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GunnBjorn

The more hardship he had to endure the more he multiplied his swearing.

buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By buzz_killington
    @Snipzor:
    All you gotta do is learn Flemish!
    Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Snipzor
    @buzz_killington: Impossible, that shit's crazy!

And I've tried, but it's hard.
    agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By agent_lost

I read all the "bande dessinée" well it is a French/Beige. I really hope that the go for the old uncensored comic. I guess you don't know but the "Capitaine Haddock" in the original version was an alcoholic. In the later version and in the cartoon they remove that. They give little reason why his had a unique speach, replace them with so profanity and his make more sense.

buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By buzz_killington

I just thought of something. If Ubisoft Montpellier is making it, it's going to be a third-person action/adventure/platformer right? Wouldn't you rather have Tell Tale make a point and click adventure game based on it? I mean what they did with the Wallace and Gromit was pretty convincing, and I think a Tin Tin game would be much better in that vein.

CashBailey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CashBailey

I've been reading Tintin ever since I could read, and I even have a sweet Tintin keyring that I have all my keys on.

I know how tightly controlled the Herge estate is. So I guess with the movies finally being made (Spielberg's been trying for nearly 30 years) that Herge's wife must finally be ready to drag these wonderful tales into the modern multimedia age.

Of course, so many of the US-based movie websites are very sniffy , and the basic attitude is "Well we don't know what it is so obviously it's gonna be a bomb..." You can't tell them that about 80 million Tintin books have been sold in every country in the world.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @buzz_killington said:
    " I just thought of something. If Ubisoft Montpellier is making it, it's going to be a third-person action/adventure/platformer right? Wouldn't you rather have Tell Tale make a point and click adventure game based on it? I mean what they did with the Wallace and Gromit was pretty convincing, and I think a Tin Tin game would be much better in that vein. "
    I completely agree. An adventure game would be far more suited to Tintin. And with Telltale being the only dev out there still making them, I guess it'd have to be them if it was going to get made properly. It's a pitty that this game will probably end up like your standard crappy movie licensed action/adventure game.
    makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32  Edited By makari

Ah, Haddock. Any character who routinely gets drunk and yells at everything is alright in my book.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jeffgoldblum

Whats a Tintin?

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Daryl

I have a bad feeling about this film. Gotta love Tintin though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.