A massively overlooked and fantastic PC port

#1 Edited by Vitor (2789 posts) -

Now, I know that Activision only have themselves to blame for basically sh*tting this game out with no fanfare on the PC, months after the console versions and so it, naturally, got very little publicity. Worst of all, it's not even out on Steam in Europe and can only be bought at retail, despite digital versions being available elsewhere which seems utterly bizarre.

That being said, it's a phenomenal PC port. It has graphics options galore, runs great and looks absolutely incredible. I'm shocked at how well made this seems. Now, I personally disagree with Ryan as to the overall quality of the game (I think it's a very solid 4 star title, a little repetitive but clearly well crafted with Beenox finally understanding what makes a Spidey game good) and would highly recommend it to anyone who is even partially interested.

It's no Arkham City, but merely travelling through Manhattan is a complete joy and I'd say it looks up to par with stuff like Sleeping Dogs visually (non-DX11 version). Anyone else pleasantly surprised by this game also?

#2 Posted by Timnoldzim (86 posts) -

It's hard to screw up a Spider-Man game these days, since nobody's really changed the swinging mechanics since Spider-Man 2 perfected them, so yes, I did rather like the game- though I played it on PS3. It's nice that the PC port is good, since most such ports are embarrassing disasters (howdy, GTA4).

#3 Posted by Vitor (2789 posts) -

@Timnoldzim: You say that, but I found the last two a little lacklustre because they moved away from the open world. I'm glad they moved back to it although I would have preferred less simplistic swinging mechanics - the fact that your webs don't actually attach to anything is a little jarring although usually not noticeable unless you're swinging above the parks.

Still, the game looks incredible and plays well so it's easy to forgive, especially when the free roaming remains highly enjoyable regardless.

#4 Posted by TeflonBilly (4722 posts) -

I thought Shattered Dimensions was fun, but Amazing Spider-Man made webslinging across the city feel like a true joy.

First time I've REALLY felt like Spidey since Spider-Man 2 on the Gamecube (Though Ultimate Spider-Man was close). It's a solid title which sets a great framework for a future game with a bit more content to it. If they manage to refine the battle system a little more and make the story and content a bit more epic in scope (Like take a best of from the rogues gallery of the comics) then they're sitting on a winning formula.

#5 Posted by Vitor (2789 posts) -

@TeflonBilly said:

I thought Shattered Dimensions was fun, but Amazing Spider-Man made webslinging across the city feel like a true joy.

First time I've REALLY felt like Spidey since Spider-Man 2 on the Gamecube (Though Ultimate Spider-Man was close). It's a solid title which sets a great framework for a future game with a bit more content to it. If they manage to refine the battle system a little more and make the story and content a bit more epic in scope (Like take a best of from the rogues gallery of the comics) then they're sitting on a winning formula.

I think they managed that to a degree - with no real overarching villain, they tackled multiple although nowhere near as in depth as Arkham City. Also, the whole cross-species thing led to some unfortunately hockey design for some of the more established enemies.

Still, if they iron out the repetitiveness for the next outing and have more missions actually utilise the city well, then I'm sure they'll strike gold.

#6 Edited by Kidavenger (3380 posts) -

I ended up buying this game mainly because it was on sale, but also due to this thread and I just wanted to say:

This game is not a good port, in fact this is the first game in years I've had any problems at all on my PC, I had to turn off Vsync to get the game to even start up (and damn does this game need vsync) and the game randomly crashes every few hours, a few hours of searching for a fix has provided nothing more than a ton of other people all complaining about the exact same thing, not a good port.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.