I'm really pulling for this game

  • 61 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by Sackmanjones (4688 posts) -

  

  Honestly I think it looks like a great spider-man game and a lot of that is due to the lifted combat system from Batman. Batman has really excellent combat and stealth mechanics and Spider-man is definitely borrowing some systems. It seems like you'll be indoors once in awhile but they've kinda tuned it to act as rooms with gargoyles like in Batman. But of course, the big leap is the open world and just swinging around the city always captures some thrills. It is a bit worrying that its technically a movie tie-in but they did state they have been working on this game since Shattered  Dimensions (which also explains the lackluster Edge of Time). I just really want a great spider-man game and think this could be the one. Anybody else planning on picking this up? 
 
EDIT: Here is Gamespots E3 stage demo if you didn't see it. Shows off the web swinging and combat if you didn't catch it before.
#2 Posted by falserelic (5413 posts) -

Hope it turns out good. I wouldn't mind playing another spider-man game.

#3 Posted by Sackmanjones (4688 posts) -
@falserelic said:

Hope it turns out good. I wouldn't mind playing another spider-man game.

Batman and Spider-man are my two favorite super heroes. They've got one down, now I just need the other. I don't expect it to be better than say Batman AC, but I really hope it's good.
#4 Posted by cb1115 (116 posts) -

Looks dope.

#5 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

i would love,love, LOVE to like it. but a long history of movie games has taught me it will be horrible at worse and mediocre at best.

#6 Posted by Sackmanjones (4688 posts) -
@DoctorDanger99 said:

i would love,love, LOVE to like it. but a long history of movie games has taught me it will be horrible at worse and mediocre at best.

This is a whole different situation: 
 
1) This game had a normal development cycle (2 to 2 1/2 years) instead of the normal 8 months to a year for movie titles. 
 
2) It is based after the film and therefore is not hindered by the movies plot-line. 
 
Not saying it will be good, but it has a better chance than many movie games and just Spider-Man games in general
#7 Posted by Maystack (905 posts) -

The one thing that I'm not too fond of is the really close camera. I guess once I'm playing it I won't really mind, but it'll take some getting used to. Still really looking forward to it. The past couple of spider-man games have been pretty rad so I'm sure Beenox won't let us down.

#8 Posted by believer258 (11813 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

@falserelic said:

Hope it turns out good. I wouldn't mind playing another spider-man game.

Batman and Spider-man are my two favorite super heroes. They've got one down, now I just need the other. I don't expect it to be better than say Batman AC, but I really hope it's good.

Wait... so they've got one down (Batman) and you need the other?

Just so we're clear, you have played this:

...right?

#9 Posted by LiquidPrince (15917 posts) -

@believer258: Spiderman 2 wasn't THAT great... It was good for the time, and the swinging around was fun. Otherwise it wasn't amazing.

#10 Edited by Sackmanjones (4688 posts) -
@believer258 said:

@Sackmanjones said:

@falserelic said:

Hope it turns out good. I wouldn't mind playing another spider-man game.

Batman and Spider-man are my two favorite super heroes. They've got one down, now I just need the other. I don't expect it to be better than say Batman AC, but I really hope it's good.

Wait... so they've got one down (Batman) and you need the other?

Just so we're clear, you have played this:

...right?

Yes I have. I thought it was pretty good but I just think this one looks to strive higher and better.  I will admit I did forget about this game when I wrote that but there is definitely room for improvement.
#11 Edited by Sean2206 (264 posts) -

I really hope it'll be good and it looks like ti has potential. It has a lot going for it Beenox working on it since finishing shattered dimensions, it's similarity to the old Spiderman 2 game and it being Beenox who have made some good Spiderman games but all of this could easily come crumbling down under the movie tie-in curse, but I hope it's good I really hope it's good.

#12 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

I was kind of turned off when they mentioned that the web doesn't actually attach to buildings, meaning you can just swing over a park with no buildings near you because of a "helicopter that's always right above you!".

Ugh.

#13 Posted by Master_Funk (732 posts) -

Wow seriously? You could replace spiderman for batman in that gameplay, and I would have believed that it was a Batman Arkham game. I understand its a winning formula but man.

#14 Posted by The_Tolman (432 posts) -

Wow this REALLY is like the recent batman games.

#15 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

It looks good.

#16 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

i will play this just for the textures of spidey's suit alone.

#17 Posted by Willza92 (263 posts) -

@LiquidPrince said:

@believer258: Spiderman 2 wasn't THAT great... It was good for the time, and the swinging around was fun. Otherwise it wasn't amazing.

Oh ho ho ho, I see what you did thar!

Everything I've seen looks pretty good actually, but I was the one guy who actually enjoyed Web of Shadows so it seems my Spider-Man game bar is lower than everyone else's.

#18 Posted by cb1115 (116 posts) -

Only thing that bothers me: The animations seem...off. Can't quite describe it. Shattered Dimensions had the same problem.

#19 Posted by Landon (4139 posts) -

Every time I see this game I see something I really like about it, then see something I really hate about it.

#20 Posted by HistoryInRust (6293 posts) -

I always imagine Spider-Man fighting like a pinball. A bouncing, unpredictable flurry of movement. Not this standing-in-the-middle-of-a-circle-jerk brawling stuff that's perhaps showing the influence of Arkham Asylum too obviously.

#21 Posted by Sackmanjones (4688 posts) -
@killacam said:

i will play this just for the textures of spidey's suit alone.

Oh my god I know, I wanna reach at my screen to freakin touch it. 
@Landon said:

Every time I see this game I see something I really like about it, then see something I really hate about it.

I see where your coming from too. I just hope positives outweigh the negatives. Although the web not sticking to stuff does not bother me one bit. 
#22 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

It looks pretty decent, nothing super amazing.
 
I hate how he runs and walks, hell I hate almost every videogame's walking/running.
Why can't devs get such a simple thing right?

#23 Posted by Sterling (2162 posts) -

I got to play this last night, and it was pretty fun. The combat is very similar to Batman:AA/AC with a cross of the last two Spider-Man games.

The open world is pretty fun swinging around, and the stealth in missions is much better than just beating up dudes. But you don't get that much experience to level up your spidy powers if you don't beat up dudes. So its almost like they are forcing you to fight, even when you can clearly beat a level almost entirely on stealth. Overall its a good game. I find it much more enjoyable than the last two Spider-Man games that came out. They also went a little overboard on the collectibles.

Overall its a worth a rent to check out. I enjoyed the 2 hours that I played and will more than likely pick it up myself.

#24 Posted by blueinferno (448 posts) -

Waiting for reviews and crossing my fingers that it gets good reception. The last Spider-Man game that I REALLY enjoyed was Spider-Man 2, and I hope this is one is even better. Kind of dumb that you can't swing from buildings though.

#25 Posted by ProfessorEss (7324 posts) -

I would love to get another great Spiderman game but I refuse to get my hopes up.  

 
@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Why can't devs get such a simple thing right?
The simple things are always the hardest. Especially the simple things that we see so frequently that even the tiniest of nuance is burnt deep into our brains.
#26 Posted by Sackmanjones (4688 posts) -
@oulzac said:

I got to play this last night, and it was pretty fun. The combat is very similar to Batman:AA/AC with a cross of the last two Spider-Man games.

The open world is pretty fun swinging around, and the stealth in missions is much better than just beating up dudes. But you don't get that much experience to level up your spidy powers if you don't beat up dudes. So its almost like they are forcing you to fight, even when you can clearly beat a level almost entirely on stealth. Overall its a good game. I find it much more enjoyable than the last two Spider-Man games that came out. They also went a little overboard on the collectibles.

Overall its a worth a rent to check out. I enjoyed the 2 hours that I played and will more than likely pick it up myself.

If you don't mind me asking, could you go more in depth? Like with visuals and combat? It sounds pretty good from what you've said but I just really wanna get a bit more information before I finalize my pre order. I understand you only played 2 hours but I'd appreciate it =)
#27 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@ProfessorEss: But unless the entire studio walks as silly as their ingame characters (relevant video) I cannot understand how they would say yeah lets ship this.
Its often not a big deal, but sometimes its just mind boggling how they create such a immersive game for you to sink into and the moment you move your character moves like a ape or is lollerskating through a castle.
#28 Posted by Getz (2997 posts) -

Looks like a decent Arkham clone, though I really don't see myself buying this.

#29 Posted by BigChickenDinner (766 posts) -

I hate the animations of Spider-Man, Looks janky as hell, or maybe its just the animators had no idea how the human body actually moves, which is causing Spider-Man to move like a shitty kids toy.

#30 Posted by Toxin066 (3283 posts) -

It still boggles me that they'd let open world spiderman games go back to swinging from the sky. And I'm hoping I hear enough good things about the game to merit me checking it out.

Online
#31 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@LiquidPrince said:

@believer258: Spiderman 2 wasn't THAT great... It was good for the time, and the swinging around was fun. Otherwise it wasn't amazing.

This is the most important thing in a Spiderman game. And no developer has made half an effort at it since Spiderman 2, including with this game.
#32 Edited by handlas (2676 posts) -

People really didn't like Ultimate Spiderman? Thought that was a pretty damn good game and don't recall the swinging around the city to be bad. Think it was the best one (well I haven't played Shatter Dimensions or any of the recent ones).

edit:...watching vids of it on youtube...still looks pretty damn good to me.

#33 Posted by TheHT (11155 posts) -

I'm pulling for every Spider-Man game before it comes out. The only ones that actually delivered were the old PS1 games, Ultimate Spidey, and Web of Shadows.

This one looks like it might be worth checking out, unlike that Edge of Time one.

#34 Posted by jewunit (1056 posts) -

I am most interested in this game because of the Stan Lee DLC. I love his quips and to have a whole story based around Mr. Excelsior himself seems pretty cool.

#35 Posted by Demoskinos (14778 posts) -

I still love the N64 Spiderman game. That probably makes me an awful person but hey....

#36 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

This is the first Spider-Man game I've been genuinely hopeful for since.. well, since ever.

#37 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

I am really put off by the close-up camera while swinging. The swinging footage I have seen had them bumping into buildings constantly, not elegant at all.

It looks fine other than that though.

#38 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

@rebgav said:

Watching Spider-Man stand and fist-fight a crowd of goons is soul-crushing.

At least the game looks like it's full of the stealth gameplay that Spider-Man is famous for. Crawling through vents, hiding in the shadows, picking off enemies one-by-one with silent take-downs, the stuff that superpowered heroes are made of.

I'm not sure you've actually ever read a Spider-Man comic.

He's not stealthy. He's a loudmouth, who always announces himself before punching out groups of goons.

He's not Batman.

#39 Posted by Solh0und (1765 posts) -

I hope it's good too. I was really blown away with Spiderman 2k and Web of Shadows.

#40 Posted by tonnous24 (43 posts) -

They should have made it so the web needs to attach to buildings, that's what made Spider-Man 2 feel so great.

#41 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Cloudenvy said:

I was kind of turned off when they mentioned that the web doesn't actually attach to buildings, meaning you can just swing over a park with no buildings near you because of a "helicopter that's always right above you!".

Ugh.

That actually wasn't the excuse of the studio, but Stan Lee excuse for a moment in a comic book.
#42 Posted by CaLe (3964 posts) -

Replaced Spec-Ops for this in my rental queue.

#43 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@MikeGosot: Excuse or not, it's really awful to just see the web going straight up into the air in the middle of nowhere.

#44 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Cloudenvy said:

@MikeGosot: Excuse or not, it's really awful to just see the web going straight up into the air in the middle of nowhere.

Nah, i don't think so. Opinions, i guess.
#45 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@MikeGosot: Excuse or not, it's really awful to just see the web going straight up into the air in the middle of nowhere.

Nah, i don't think so. Opinions, i guess.

They really do exist!

#46 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Cloudenvy: And it's possible to respect them! EVEN ON THE INTERNET!
#47 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@MikeGosot: WHAT?! this is the first I've heard of this!

#48 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Cloudenvy: I think... I think... I just blew my mind.
#49 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@MikeGosot: I can't stay on an internet where people respect other opinions! I'm out of here!

#50 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

the last siderman game i played was ultimate spiderman, this has promise

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.