Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with Spider-Man, but...

#1 Posted by PoisonJam7 (324 posts) -

What are those things on his wrists? Last I checked, Spidey didn't have those things before. I also noticed that after doing certain things in-game, you can hear a beeping noise and Spidey makes some sort of "sheathing" type animation with both hands.

Please forgive my lack of current lore knowledge, but what are these things? Also, I don't remember his girlfriend being Gwen Stacey either....are we in some sort of alternate universe or something? I seem to remember reading something about Peter Parker being dead a few months ago in Marvel lore, but that doesn't seem to be the case in this game.

Thanks for any insight, and please excuse my ignorance. ( I'm more of a DC guy. ;) )

#2 Posted by MethodMan008 (806 posts) -

Gwen Stacey was his first love.

#3 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@PoisonJam7 said:

What are those things on his wrists? Last I checked, Spidey didn't have those things before. I also noticed that after doing certain things in-game, you can hear a beeping noise and Spidey makes some sort of "sheathing" type animation with both hands.

Please forgive my lack of current lore knowledge, but what are these things? Also, I don't remember his girlfriend being Gwen Stacey either....are we in some sort of alternate universe or something? I seem to remember reading something about Peter Parker being dead a few months ago in Marvel lore, but that doesn't seem to be the case in this game.

Thanks for any insight, and please excuse my ignorance. ( I'm more of a DC guy. ;) )

When Peter first got his powers he did not have natural webbing. (on his wrists are what SHOOTS his webbing something he created)It was not until Venom merged with him then left that he got natural wedding. Gwen stacey was his first love. She was killed by Green Goblin. As for "Sheathing" Thats how he reloads his webbing.  

Why not go check out his page on Comic vine? It has a lot of info. 
#4 Edited by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

Spider-Man originally made his web-stuff, which he shot out of webshooters that he invented which are placed around his wrist. Sometime after 2000, in the comics, Spider-Man underwent a mutation where he found he could generate organic web and hasn't had to use his webshooters since. Ultimate Spider-Man had organic web-shooting abilities right from the very start, which influenced the original Spider-Man movie (from 2002). This new movie has Parker invent his web again, sticking with the "Amazing" part of the title, since that was how it originally was.

Gwen Stacy was Peter Parker's first love, before Mary Jane. Her father was a high ranking and respected member of the NYPD. Things happened, eventually Peter met Mary Jane and the rest is history.

It's been a while since I kept up with Spider-Man, though, so I could be wrong.

#5 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7048 posts) -

Peter died in the Ultimate Universe. Not the one this game and movie take place in.

#6 Posted by 49th (2688 posts) -

He has robot hands because Lex Luthor chopped them off.

#7 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

After beating the game it seems the movie isn't exactly following the comic exactly.

#8 Posted by Undeadpool (4908 posts) -

@Barrock said:

After beating the game it seems the movie isn't exactly following the comic exactly.

They never do (usually for the better, some comic stuff does not translate well to movies and vice versa).

#9 Posted by JonSmith (169 posts) -

@PoisonJam7: As the others have said (I'm just posting to be redundant) the red lights on his wrists are mechanical web shooters. Since it would be inconvenient to have him swinging around New York by his rear end, instead they had him design a substance that mimics spiders thread, then invent an ejection system which could spin it into a strand thick enough to use for transportation. However, they can only hold a single cartridge of web at a time, meaning that once it runs out, he can't shoot webs anymore. Since this is more than a minor inconvenience, he carries multiple cartridges on his belt in addition to his Spider-Camera and Spider-flashlight. When he sort of sheathes his wrists on his belt, he's reloading the cartridges. As for Gwen Stacy, prior to Mary Jane popping into his life, Gwen was Peter's first great love. Due to a series of tragedies involving the Green Goblin, who threw Gwen off a bridge, Peter tried to save her by shooting a web at her ankle as she fell to catch her. He succeeded in catching her, but the sudden stop snapped her neck, killing her. Thus, she died. Making room for the unforgettable Mary Jane, and all the shenanigans that resulted in that are now meaningless due to a literal deal with a devil.

#10 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Why does no one know that Spiderman doesn't have natural web slinging abilities? I dont even read comics. Maybe I'm just old.

#11 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@TheHumanDove said:

Why does no one know that Spiderman doesn't have natural web slinging abilities? I dont even read comics. Maybe I'm just old.

Because he has it right away in the movies and everyone has followed that. 
#12 Posted by JonSmith (169 posts) -

@TheHumanDove: Ahem.

#13 Posted by HistoryInRust (6274 posts) -

@TheFreeMan said:

Spider-Man originally made his web-stuff, which he shot out of webshooters that he invented which are placed around his wrist. Sometime after 2000, in the comics, Spider-Man underwent a mutation where he found he could generate organic web and hasn't had to use his webshooters since. Ultimate Spider-Man had organic web-shooting abilities right from the very start, which influenced the original Spider-Man movie (from 2002). This new movie has Parker invent his web again, sticking with the "Amazing" part of the title, since that was how it originally was.

Gwen Stacy was Peter Parker's first love, before Mary Jane. Her father was a high ranking and respected member of the NYPD. Things happened, eventually Peter met Mary Jane and the rest is history.

It's been a while since I kept up with Spider-Man, though, so I could be wrong.

Not wrong at all. You're pretty much spot-on.

You'll often times see comics alter their canon slightly when a movie comes out. Comic companies will do this to ameliorate a sense of "culture shock" felt by new readers inspired to read because of a movie they just saw. In this case, Marvel didn't want the readers they'd gain after releasing a profitable film feel lost immediately after picking up a single three dollar issue. They want to hook the reader and keep them coming back month after month. Streamlining the continuity to match the film's canon is the easiest, and most effective, way to do this.

Spider-Man didn't have natural webbing until the original Sam Raimi film proposed he did. After that Spider-Man's mechanical web-shooters were retconned. I think the comic continuity has since gone back to the stalwart mechanical shooters, but I'm not one-hundred percent positive on that front.

#14 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

I'm just here to say that natural webbing is better, IMO. So... Yeah.

#15 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Turns out Darth Vader was his father.

WHO KNEW!

#16 Edited by Snail (8578 posts) -

@TheHumanDove said:

Because many people saw the Maguire-acted Spider-Man trilogy?

#17 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

You mean the web-shooters? Like how Spiderman shoots webs? I don't even read comics and that's some 101 stuff right there.

#18 Posted by handlas (2658 posts) -

all my knowledge comes from the 90's Spiderman cartoon... I assume most people know about Spiderman thru the Raimi movies.

I just now connected the villain in the videogame with the guy in the wheelchair that works with the Kingpin in the cartoon show. Smythe or whatever. That explains all the big robots.

#19 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

@TheHumanDove said:

I don't really pay attention to spiderman comics and i didn't know this until very recently. According to people here though, he has had natural web shooting since 2000, so anyone that has gotten into comics in the last 12 years might not know this. Which is a lot of people.

There are also people like me, who hate spiderman as a character so my only knowledge of him comes from those movies and cartoons I watched as a kid.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.