Web Physics

#1 Posted by joetom (93 posts) -

From all the videos I've seen, it looks like Spiderman doesn't actually attach to buildings when swinging about the city. Is anyone else incredibly disappointed to see this? That was one of the things I loved in Spiderman 2, and it sucks that it's not here.

#2 Posted by BormahAl (68 posts) -

Yea it's a major turnoff.

#3 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

He doesn't? Thank God.

#4 Posted by stinky (1544 posts) -

seems like it wouldn't actually work if it attached to buildings. i mean if were talking physics and swinging.

as an example swings in playgrounds aren't attached to walls which is a great benefit for the swinging motion.

#5 Posted by JeanLuc (3572 posts) -

@stinky: What does it attach to then, the clouds?

#6 Posted by The_Nubster (2047 posts) -

@stinky said:

seems like it wouldn't actually work if it attached to buildings. i mean if were talking physics and swinging.

as an example swings in playgrounds aren't attached to walls which is a great benefit for the swinging motion.

Spiderman 2 pulled you in a certain direction according to what you were swinging off of. Of course, if you want to swing like a pendulum on a perfect track, a wall isn't going to work, but it's possible to swing off of walls. Think of the motion of a tether ball, for example. It swings, but off of a central point, not two fixed points. It allows for a greater range of movement and makes it more dynamic and fun. If it really isn't in this game, that's a pretty big bummer, because Treyarch's Spiderman games were so awesome about it.

#7 Edited by JonSmith (169 posts) -

@JeanLuc: To use the officially sanctioned excuse: There is a special helicopter that flies WAY over Spider-man's head, which follows him around for his web to attach to. I'm not even kidding, straight from the mouth of Stan Lee.

And while it doesn't attach to buildings, you'll see if you watch gameplay videos of him swinging around that there's a white reticle in front of him. When above a certain point (i.e., with no sufficient buildings around him), that reticle turns red and he can't web swing. It turns white again when he reaches a point where he logically could. However, it does NOT actually attach to buildings. Which is kinda weird.

As for the why, with the camera so incredibly close to Spider-Man in this game, you can't really see whether or not it attaches to anything, and at that angle, for you to suddenly be anchored to a building, the change in trajectory would be really noticable and disorienting. That wasn't an issue in past Spider-Man games because the camera was so far back.

#8 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Wow, that's very disappointing to hear. That's one of the things that made Spider-Man 2 so fun to swing around in.

#9 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

Wait, really? That was one of the coolest things about Spider-Man 2/Ultimate Spider-Man (I think?), it was some nice attention to detail and you could abuse the physics to let you get to insane speeds. 
 
Weird, but oh well.

#10 Posted by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

@JonSmith said:

@JeanLuc: To use the officially sanctioned excuse: There is a special helicopter that flies WAY over Spider-man's head, which follows him around for his web to attach to. I'm not even kidding, straight from the mouth of Stan Lee.

And while it doesn't attach to buildings, you'll see if you watch gameplay videos of him swinging around that there's a white reticle in front of him. When above a certain point (i.e., with no sufficient buildings around him), that reticle turns red and he can't web swing. It turns white again when he reaches a point where he logically could. However, it does NOT actually attach to buildings. Which is kinda weird.

As for the why, with the camera so incredibly close to Spider-Man in this game, you can't really see whether or not it attaches to anything, and at that angle, for you to suddenly be anchored to a building, the change in trajectory would be really noticable and disorienting. That wasn't an issue in past Spider-Man games because the camera was so far back.

So you essentially only swing forward in a a simple arc? What the hell is the point then? That doesn't capture the feeling of these games at all.

#11 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@JonSmith said:

@JeanLuc: To use the officially sanctioned excuse: There is a special helicopter that flies WAY over Spider-man's head, which follows him around for his web to attach to. I'm not even kidding, straight from the mouth of Stan Lee.

And while it doesn't attach to buildings, you'll see if you watch gameplay videos of him swinging around that there's a white reticle in front of him. When above a certain point (i.e., with no sufficient buildings around him), that reticle turns red and he can't web swing. It turns white again when he reaches a point where he logically could. However, it does NOT actually attach to buildings. Which is kinda weird.

As for the why, with the camera so incredibly close to Spider-Man in this game, you can't really see whether or not it attaches to anything, and at that angle, for you to suddenly be anchored to a building, the change in trajectory would be really noticable and disorienting. That wasn't an issue in past Spider-Man games because the camera was so far back.

So you essentially only swing forward in a a simple arc? What the hell is the point then? That doesn't capture the feeling of these games at all.

No one said that.

#12 Posted by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

@TentPole said:

@iAmJohn said:

@JonSmith said:

@JeanLuc: To use the officially sanctioned excuse: There is a special helicopter that flies WAY over Spider-man's head, which follows him around for his web to attach to. I'm not even kidding, straight from the mouth of Stan Lee.

And while it doesn't attach to buildings, you'll see if you watch gameplay videos of him swinging around that there's a white reticle in front of him. When above a certain point (i.e., with no sufficient buildings around him), that reticle turns red and he can't web swing. It turns white again when he reaches a point where he logically could. However, it does NOT actually attach to buildings. Which is kinda weird.

As for the why, with the camera so incredibly close to Spider-Man in this game, you can't really see whether or not it attaches to anything, and at that angle, for you to suddenly be anchored to a building, the change in trajectory would be really noticable and disorienting. That wasn't an issue in past Spider-Man games because the camera was so far back.

So you essentially only swing forward in a a simple arc? What the hell is the point then? That doesn't capture the feeling of these games at all.

No one said that.

Dude, read between the lines. If the idea is that Spider-Man essentially is attaching his web to an overhead helicopter instead of the surrounding environments, that's going to severely reduce the range of movement he can have through swinging, unless they're keeping in the web-zip. Plus, with comments like the swinging system being altered because of their more pulled-in camera, it's bound to be a much simpler swinging system since the game apparently becomes unplayable when using the tetherball physics of the old ones.

Either way, you're missing the point. They've changed the physics in a way that makes it no longer play like those games. The entire reason I enjoyed those games was because of that specific swing mechanic and how fun it was to tear through the city using it, and it's not there. So now I no longer understand why this game even exists.

#13 Posted by JonSmith (169 posts) -

@iAmJohn: They're really not working with it as in it's attaching to an overhead helicopter. That's just the excuse Stan Lee came up with when a fan asked what Spider-Man's web was attaching to when he was swinging around logically above the Empire State Building. And yes, they're keeping the Web Zip in as the Web Rush. You can tap the button to choose a point forward to web zip. Contrary to popular belief, the Web Rush doesn't lock you into an animation, you're free to interrupt it at anytime with a Web Swing or other input. As for the actual swinging dynamic, the pulled in camera works to give you a much greater sense of vertigo when you're falling or on a downward swing. It's supposed to make you feel a lot more like Spider-Man. And from what I've seen, it works. I can't speak for how it actually feels, but the web swinging seems pretty awesome nevertheless.

#14 Posted by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

@JonSmith said:

@iAmJohn: They're really not working with it as in it's attaching to an overhead helicopter. That's just the excuse Stan Lee came up with when a fan asked what Spider-Man's web was attaching to when he was swinging around logically above the Empire State Building. And yes, they're keeping the Web Zip in as the Web Rush. You can tap the button to choose a point forward to web zip. Contrary to popular belief, the Web Rush doesn't lock you into an animation, you're free to interrupt it at anytime with a Web Swing or other input. As for the actual swinging dynamic, the pulled in camera works to give you a much greater sense of vertigo when you're falling or on a downward swing. It's supposed to make you feel a lot more like Spider-Man. And from what I've seen, it works. I can't speak for how it actually feels, but the web swinging seems pretty awesome nevertheless.

That sounds a bit better, but I dunno. It still sounds far more like the mechanics of Shattered Dimensions' web-swinging (or, if I'm being generous, the swinging mechanics from Bionic Commando) than the games I like. And that's fine, I guess, but it also saps all interest I have in this game. Since I mean, let's be honest, this is coming out basically nine months after Beenox's last Spider-Man game, and neither that nor Shattered Dimensions were particularly good.

#15 Edited by JonSmith (169 posts) -

@iAmJohn: Tell you what, check this out. Decide for yourself. And they actually started working on this RIGHT after Shattered Dimensions, with another team working on Edge of Time.

... If you mute it, I won't blame you.

#16 Posted by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

@JonSmith: Looks pretty cool but not quite feeling it.. Thanks for posting that, though; the game looks like it might not be terrible!

#17 Edited by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@iAmJohn: I don't like how you pull shit out of your ass without having seen the game you are complaining about and then rant at me about a change in physics you haven't even seen.

#18 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

@JonSmith said:

@iAmJohn: Tell you what, check this out. Decide for yourself. And they actually started working on this RIGHT after Shattered Dimensions, with another team working on Edge of Time.

... If you mute it, I won't blame you.

It looks better than I thought it would after reading this thread, and it does look cool when you're falling with the closer camera, but damn, it really annoys me when he's still able to swing with no tall building around him (or the web is straight up where nothing is at all.) Maybe it will still be fun to swing around, who knows. Hopefully they release a demo.

#19 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

I definitely got the sense of vertigo they were going for, which was cool. The camera looked like it could be kinda problematic at spots, though, like when he got in close to buildings. Looks better than expected.

#20 Posted by HistoryInRust (6274 posts) -

Totally forgot:  
 
A) That this game was coming out.  
 
B) That this movie was coming out. 

#21 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -
@xobballox

Wow, that's very disappointing to hear. That's one of the things that made Spider-Man 2 so fun to swing around in.

#22 Posted by HistoryInRust (6274 posts) -

Also.  
 
Guys, fuck that camera angle. 

#23 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@JonSmith said:

@JeanLuc: To use the officially sanctioned excuse: There is a special helicopter that flies WAY over Spider-man's head, which follows him around for his web to attach to. I'm not even kidding, straight from the mouth of Stan Lee.

I've never heard that.. Care to link?

#24 Posted by JonSmith (169 posts) -

@SeriouslyNow: I'm afraid I can't, sorry. I read it in a book...

That sentence should not have felt as weird to type as it did.

#25 Posted by JacDG (2114 posts) -

The game looks kind of cool, did not expect that, but the camera is making a little woozy though.

#26 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

I looooooooved spiderman 2, so probably checking this out at least for the ''nostalgia''

#27 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

I personally approve of the new camera angle they chose to adopt for this game and can't wait to play it.

#28 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

That kind of makes me not want to check out this game.

#29 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -

Really? That is disappointing. It reminds of the really bad spiderman game that came out before spiderman 2. Looked so lame swinging with your webs just in the sky somewhere.

#30 Posted by TheHT (10880 posts) -

Whatever. I just hope I can get that sense of speed I got in Web of Shadows. You fucking BLAST in the game.

#31 Posted by HatKing (5817 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

Really? That is disappointing. It reminds of the really bad spiderman game that came out before spiderman 2. Looked so lame swinging with your webs just in the sky somewhere.

Which game are you referring to? Spider-Man (1)?

#32 Posted by Brendan (7687 posts) -

Even after seeing the video I still don't like the look of it. The web physics were what I loved about Spiderman 2, and this doesn't look to be that.

Online
#33 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -

@HatKing said:

@laserbolts said:

Really? That is disappointing. It reminds of the really bad spiderman game that came out before spiderman 2. Looked so lame swinging with your webs just in the sky somewhere.

Which game are you referring to? Spider-Man (1)?

Yes I beleive so. It came out right before spiderman 2 so i'm guessing thats the one. It was shit and the web swinging was awful. After watching the gameplay video posted in this thread I can say that the new one doesn't look as bad but still I am not a fan of the web sticking to clouds or whatever is going on there.

#34 Posted by Trav (241 posts) -

This is kind of a bummer, but I'd like to see how the new system plays before writing it off completely. I would like to see the return of a more physics-based swinging mechanic in future games though. It made getting through areas of New York with lower buildings a really interesting challenge completely its own compared to the higher up swinging.

#35 Posted by Zella (702 posts) -

It looks like they are toning down the web-swinging for more acrobatic stuff, which is cool with me. As long as I the web-swinging is fluid and fast I'm alright with it not attaching to buildings. My one beef is I wish they atleast had the webs go in the direction of building's to create an allusion, which I think Web of Shadows did.

#36 Posted by HatKing (5817 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@laserbolts said:

@HatKing said:

@laserbolts said:

Really? That is disappointing. It reminds of the really bad spiderman game that came out before spiderman 2. Looked so lame swinging with your webs just in the sky somewhere.

Which game are you referring to? Spider-Man (1)?

Yes I beleive so. It came out right before spiderman 2 so i'm guessing thats the one. It was shit and the web swinging was awful. After watching the gameplay video posted in this thread I can say that the new one doesn't look as bad but still I am not a fan of the web sticking to clouds or whatever is going on there.

Are you perhaps talking about the Spider-man franchise that Activision had going before the movie games started? The last one before Spider-man (movie) was Spider-man 2: Enter Electro. They were linear games with some pretty goofy web swinging.

Edit for inaccuracy!

I'm just happy you weren't referring to Ultimate Spiderman. Mostly because that game is awesome, but also because it had realistic web physics.

The first movie game wasn't that bad, I don't think, though it might have just been me being a teen and being in love with the movie.

#37 Posted by JoeyRavn (4948 posts) -

What I find worst of all, even worse than the camera, is that suit. It's fucking appalling. The design is fugly, the yellow eyes make Spider-Man look like he's sick or drunk.

Seriously, fuck that suit. The game doesn't look half bad, but I sure hope you can unlock a more "classic" suit.

#38 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

You shitting me? I thought it was going back to the Spiderman 2 style open swinging mechanics.

Well, I guess I'm not getting the game then, I'll just... play Spiderman 2.

#39 Posted by Masha2932 (1241 posts) -

I'll probably rent this game to suss it out before purchasing

#40 Posted by JustPlainLucas (31 posts) -

As someone who LOVED the swinging mechanic of Spider-Man 2, am I disappointed that Beenox is not using the same kind of system? Yes, but honestly, the sense of web-slinging looks incredible in this game. You just have to click off that rational part of your brain that says, "BUT HE SHOULD BE NEAR A TALL BUILDING" and enjoy the ride. I think that we need to focused more on the fact that ASM returns Spider-Man to a full-fledged fleshed out NYC to swing around in. Their last three Spider-Man games have relegated him to closed areas, so at least with ASM, you get that sense of freedom returning. Focus on the web cartridge being half full!

#41 Posted by SockLobster (456 posts) -

@JustPlainLucas said:

Their last three Spider-Man games have relegated him to closed areas

Last two games; Web of Shadows is free roaming and is also a really fun game. I'm playing through it again to prepare for ASM.

#42 Posted by joetom (93 posts) -

I never actually played Web of Shadows, was it anything like Spiderman 2?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.