"The Banner Saga" Kickstarter Campaign: 22 hrs. Remaining

#1 Posted by Patchcoat (155 posts) -

Just thought that I'd post one last notice for The Banner Saga Kickstarter.

As of this post, they have managed to raise just over $655,000. This mass of money will allow them to have a full orchestra for the soundtrack, which is being composed by Austin Wintory (this is no doubt exciting news for anyone that's experienced the joys of Journey). Also, with the recently reached $650k mark, the game will now be available on XBLA and PSN. However, they have added one last milestone that would no doubt add quite a bit more depth to the overall game and that's what I'm hoping they can get to in the end. Anyway, I hope at least a couple more people that actually read this decide to chip in, the game seems pretty unique and the music will no doubt be awesome.

#2 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

I have never heard of that game, but at this point I'm just starting to automatically dislike all Kickstarter campaigns.

#3 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Seriously kickstarter is pissing me off now.

#4 Posted by Grelik (152 posts) -

Im in the same boat... These kickstarter things are getting a little old. Hopefully once everyone gets burned a few times they'll go away.

#5 Posted by Brendan (7846 posts) -

I thought about backing this game when it came out since it looked really cool, but I already backed a couple others (Double Fine, Wasteland 2) and felt like I should see a final product for something before I continually throw money at things like this. Still glad to hear that it's doing so well because I have high hopes for it.

@scarace360:@Jrinswand: "I hate Kickstarter topics, and dislike all the posts about them!" *Sees Kickstarter topic* "I'm going to post in that Kickstarter topic! On another note, I'm really smart!"

#6 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

@Brendan said:

I thought about backing this game when it came out since it looked really cool, but I already backed a couple others (Double Fine, Wasteland 2) and felt like I should see a final product for something before I continually throw money at things like this. Still glad to hear that it's doing so well because I have high hopes for it.

@scarace360:@Jrinswand: "I hate Kickstarter topics, and dislike all the posts about them!" *Sees Kickstarter topic* "I'm going to post in that Kickstarter topic! On another note, I'm really smart!"

Just had to let it be known.

#7 Edited by Octaslash (555 posts) -

Great, this thread is already filled with cynics.

Just had to let it be known.

No, you really didn't need to. We already have threads about that stuff. Anyway, after looking at the work the developers have already done, I am pretty confident they're going to follow through on their promises. We need more games like these, so I'll gladly pledge.

#8 Posted by Brendan (7846 posts) -

@scarace360: Nice...excuse? Or are you just admitting that you're immature and have no self control?

#9 Posted by jking47 (1215 posts) -

Hey people if you don't wanna see kickstarter stuff don't visit the threads. There are some really great people making some really great games with it.

I have been backing this one for a few weeks, stoked to see it get so much more than they expected. I am already fine with the full orchestra+extra content from reaching $650K, the next milestone is a little less exciting for me, but hey more stuff is more stuff.

#10 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

I think that Kickstarter is great in theory, but you can only say "This group of guys from this company want to make a game, so give them some money" so many times before it starts to rub people the wrong way. I'm not like murderously angry about Kicktstarter or anything, but it seems like every other day there's some new post on video game sites about new Kickstarter campaigns. Ehh... To each his own, I guess.

#11 Posted by JackSukeru (5922 posts) -

Seems very cool, can't tell much what the actual game will be like at this point though. Since it will be coming to XBLA and PSN I think I'll just keep an eye on it and support it there instead if it turns out awesome.

#12 Posted by Brodehouse (10104 posts) -

@Grelik: Hey guys, video games are getting a little old. Hopefully once everyone gets burned a couple times there won't be anymore. And then we won't be bothered by the existence of any of those stupid video games. How fucking myopic can you be?

@Jrinswand: All video game news is "hey these guys are making a game if you want it give them money". The only reason why people decide to shit all over kickstarter is because it's different than how they've bought games before. Just like when online shopping started and people said "I'm not going to pay real money over the internet!" and then when digital distribution started "I'm not gonna pay real money for a download!" It's just the same old white people terrified by new things, clutching their pennies.

@scarace360: Seriously, you're pissing me off now. Just had to let it be known.

Now we're 12 posts in to a thread about a game, haven't even mentioned the incredible animation, the promise of a mature storyline not devoted to the interests of teenagers, or the music. Banner Saga looks completely awesome, and if it had come about through normal channels you people wouldn't say shit about it.

#13 Posted by Bravestar (381 posts) -

@RockmanBionics said:

Seems very cool, can't tell much what the actual game will be like at this point though.

yeah, this is the one thing that bothers me about their kickstarter page. I hope the people backing this project have the same thing in mind as the developers.

cool for them anyway.

#14 Posted by Brendan (7846 posts) -

@Bravestar said:

@RockmanBionics said:

Seems very cool, can't tell much what the actual game will be like at this point though.

yeah, this is the one thing that bothers me about their kickstarter page. I hope the people backing this project have the same thing in mind as the developers.

cool for them anyway.

This is part of the reason I didn't back it (the first being that I'm going to wait and see an actual thing I've backed before backing anything more). This game stills interests me in that it looks like an amazing artistic experience (especially with the full orchestra now) but I'm not sure of how much the game will interest me.

#15 Posted by jakob187 (21691 posts) -

I will watch to see if any of these games actually turn out to be worth a damn before I start donating to them. Once I can see that Wasteland 2, Double Fine Adventure, and Shadowrun Returns don't suck, I'll be more than willing to dump money towards Kickstarter projects.

Until then, I don't really care for blindly throwing money at things over the internet without having a receipt and knowing that something is coming my way within the next week.

#16 Posted by JackSukeru (5922 posts) -

Checking in, they got to 700 000 with a few hours to spare. Good for them.

#17 Posted by BeachThunder (12113 posts) -

Wait, suddenly it's 'cool' to hate on Kickstarter? Well, that was quick...

#18 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

Wait, suddenly it's 'cool' to hate on Kickstarter? Well, that was quick...

Mr. Morooka was wrong. Popularity leads to disgust.

#19 Posted by YoThatLimp (1928 posts) -

I chipped in 80$. This project seemed right up my alley. Between FTL, Double Fine, Wasteland 2 and this I am done with kickstarter for the time being. I am stopping at $160 in projects, hopefully they turn out well.

#20 Posted by cosi83 (402 posts) -

Sleeping Beauty looking Viking adventure?

This will be fantastic

#21 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

This was one where I ended up pulling my funding entirely. I looked at the stuff I was backing and I decided I just couldn't afford to continue backing this one. I'll probably buy it when it comes out, but now I feel is too early. I felt bad about doing it but they didn't need my help. The project had met its goal ages ago. Still looking forward to seeing it completed.

#22 Posted by cojack426 (22 posts) -

I don't hate kickstarter, I thought Double Fine had a neat idea funding a game using the website and getting money from it's fans (I backed the project personally). I just think people are getting sick of the others saying "how this will change the way games are funded in the future" which seems to be nothing more than wishful thinking. We are always going to have the big AAA titles like Call of Duty and Mass Effect that will dominate the market but to say that kickstarter is starting some kind of marketing revolution for games is a stretch and a large portion of people are getting tired of hearing about it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.