Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Banner Saga

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jan 14, 2014

The Sun has stopped in the middle of the sky, the Gods have died and human settlements are being invaded by the Dredge, a race of stone beings. There can be no doubt about it, the world is coming to an end. In this turn-based tactics game, borrowing elements from Norse myth, your clan's continued survival is the only thing that truly matters. Will its banner be stomped into the the ground or fly high and bring back hope to those who have lost it in this desolate cold world?

What do the "Fighters" and "Clansmen" stats do?

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I just started playing this (I've just gotten to Frostvellr) and I have a question. What impact does the "Fighters" and "Clansmen" stats have? I get that the more people you have in your caravan the more supplies you're going to need, but is there a good reason (except being a nice guy) that you'd want many people in your caravan? And what about the fighters? It's not like they participate in the battles, so what does that stat mean? Are there going to be events (encounters with the Dredge, perhaps?) that you can only succeed at if you have a certain number of fighters?

I'm guessing it'll become clear as the game goes on, but I'd just like to know. Can anyone help me out?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Tennmuerti

@gkhan: Clansmen, no doesn't matter beyond your own attitude towards the game, whether morality of saving as many as possible matter to you or not. Personally I found it more engaging to go in with a mindset of trying to have as many people survive as possible. But yes mechanics wise it does not matter aside from depleting your resources faster.

Fighters and Varl on the other hand do engage in what are called "wars". Basically you will have encounters where hundreds of dredge attack your caravan and depending on how you chose to do them the game does some math of your numbers versus their numbers. However and this is speculation, in my play through the game seemed to always approximately match my army in numbers in these encounters regardless of how many I had, so the more dudes I got the more dredge got thrown at me, therefore I would venture a guess it would try to do the same in the opposite direction and give you smaller number of enemies if you had more losses, up to a point, maybe.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By gkhan

@tennmuerti: I figured that the fighters and varls would play into stuff like that. Given that the game seems to be all about moral choice, I probably will play to maximize clansmen too. That's the whole point, after all.

Thanks duder!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By BisonHero

@tennmuerti: I feel like that game really needed to explain the "war battles" or whatever much better. They're the only place where fighters and varl potentially mattered, but it was really ambiguous to what degree their numbers affected it, if any.

And as someone else suggested elsewhere (can't remember if it was these forums or not), it would've been nice if like, for every week or something that goes by where nobody starves, maybe you get rewarded 5-10 Renown or something. Just so there is some mild incentive to buy supplies. As the game works now, buying supplies for Rooke's group is just a huge Renown pit that doesn't earn you much aside from a sense of satisfaction.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.