Am I only one that thinks The Beatles suck?

• 98 results
#1 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -

I don't mean to troll or anything, but I really didn't like the hype for this game.

It's basically a Rock Band track pack, and it got so much widespread hype, even mainstream news channels discussing it being a new generation of games (wtf?)

Now I don't mind rhythm action games, but to me The Beatles are just so "bleh"

This isn't coming from a guy who only listens to one genre of music either, I listen to everything from Oasis to Iron Maiden, from Heaven 17 to Dizzee Rascal, from Pendulum to AC/DC... So I know that for alot of people The Beatles were an iconic, life changing band...

But am I the only one here that thinks they really weren't anything special?

Please god don't burn me.

#2 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Are you talking about the game or the band? If the former, yes. If the latter, again, YES. Something that isn't relevant to one's interests doesn't necessarily suck (I don't play such games myself, but it seems to be of high quality and my personal interests don't dicate what sucks).

I saw an article that showcased some of the art created for the game and it's all pretty amazing. They handled this with the respect it deserved.

God WILL burn you.

#3 Posted by EvilSmeevil (4 posts) -
@RiotBananas said:
" I don't mean to troll or anything, but I really didn't like the hype for this game.  It's basically a Rock Band track pack "

Aren't all rhythm game sequels effectively track packs for their previous incarnations?

@RiotBananas said:
" ...  But am I the only one here that thinks they really weren't anything special?  Please god don't burn me. "
I'm sure there are others like you, but I pray you're in the minority.
#4 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@EvilSmeevil said:
" @RiotBananas said:
" I don't mean to troll or anything, but I really didn't like the hype for this game.  It's basically a Rock Band track pack "

Aren't all rhythm game sequels effectively track packs for their previous incarnations?

@RiotBananas said:
" ...  But am I the only one here that thinks they really weren't anything special?  Please god don't burn me. "
I'm sure there are others like you, but I pray you're in the minority. "
Judging by the sales of the game, I'm guessing I am... Maybe I just missed a generation.

I mean, I played the game, and none of the songs really lend themselves to the genre...

It's like sticking Coldplay "In My Place" in Guitar Hero... but they'd NEVER do that would they?
#5 Posted by Soap (3644 posts) -

Your topic title alone makes this trolling.

The Beatles are awesome, even more awesome if you take into account the history of the band and how many things we take for granted nowadays in music and music culture started with the beatles. 

#6 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

i thought like that, that they were just a soft little pop band that made some light hearted songs that i liked when i was a kid. A few months ago i actually decided to check them out again with my dad's albums, because i saw a documentary on telly about their first american tour where they seemed like pretty cool guys. I was blown away, seriously, give them another shot. Revolver and Abbey road, magical mystery tour, white album, love it all.

#7 Posted by Red12b (9085 posts) -
@RiotBananas:
You are not going to win here mate, 

Pie is going to have a say about this no doubt, 

Ill start off 

*Ahem* 
HEY JUDE!
#8 Posted by Fallen189 (5052 posts) -

I don't like them, at all. But I can see how they were influential.

They're just not my thing, sorry.

#9 Edited by Red12b (9085 posts) -
@cap123 said:

"i thought like that, that they were just a soft little pop band that made some light hearted songs that i liked when i was a kid. A few months ago i actually decided to check them out again with my dad's albums, because i saw a documentary on telly about their first american tour where they seemed like pretty cool guys. I was blown away, seriously, give them another shot. Revolver and Abbey road, magical mystery tour, white album, love it all. "

SGT Peppers. 

but Dude try the remixed album LOVE
Mindblowing, also try the movie Accros the Universe, It is a very good homage
#10 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

I tend to ignore discussions like this, because everyone has different taste in music and arguing about it is somewhat pointless.
But you my friend, have horrible taste in music  :)

#11 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -

LIke I said, I'm not being narrowminded I have a huge catalogue of music, some older than The Beatles, and I'm not hating against the people that like them either, they just didn't seem very good to me.

And the Hype for the game was too big, the Bombcast spent about 35-45 minutes discussing the game!

#12 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:
" I tend to ignore discussions like this, because everyone has different taste in music and arguing about it is somewhat pointless. But you my friend, have horrible taste in music  :) "
Rather contradictory to say that and then say my music taste is horrible, especially considering I like EVERYTHING except from The Beatles style, oh and R'n'B.
#13 Edited by Marzy (675 posts) -

I'm sure they have done a lot for music and I wouldn't say they suck, because they don't. I'm just not into them, personally.

I don't see why some people have to get all elitist over it. It's just music and everyone has there different tastes.

#14 Posted by Famov (768 posts) -

There have been better musicians before and since The Beatles. Does that mean that they 'suck'? Certainly not, but that doesn't make the rabid fans any more tolerable. 

I have listened to a lot of the Beatles more acclaimed albums/songs, and I do wish to warn you that genuine crap like "Yellow Submarine" is not necessarily indicative of their better work.
#15 Posted by raidingkvatch (1165 posts) -

I am by no means a Beatles fan, I don't really like their music, but, really they do not suck, I can understand not liking their music, that's fine music has moved on in the last 40 years, but it has moved on because of The Beatles, what they did has definitely been done since (for example you listed Oasis as a band you like, they pretty much owe their entire sound to The Beatles), and I'm sure arguments could be made that it has been done better, but they did it first they paved the way for pretty much everything that's come since, so pretty much if you like any pop (as opposed to classical) music at all then The Beatles don't suck.

#16 Posted by Food (386 posts) -
@Famov said:
" There have been better musicians before and since The Beatles. Does that mean that they 'suck'? Certainly not, but that doesn't make the rabid fans any more tolerable.  I have listened to a lot of the Beatles more acclaimed albums/songs, and I do wish to warn you that genuine crap like "Yellow Submarine" is not necessarily indicative of their better work. "
Because being a good musician has everything to do with writing good songs.
#17 Posted by Famov (768 posts) -

@Food said:

" @Famov said:
" There have been better musicians before and since The Beatles. Does that mean that they 'suck'? Certainly not, but that doesn't make the rabid fans any more tolerable.  I have listened to a lot of the Beatles more acclaimed albums/songs, and I do wish to warn you that genuine crap like "Yellow Submarine" is not necessarily indicative of their better work. "
Because being a good musician has everything to do with writing good songs. "

What are you getting at? The only definite things my post said was that rabid fans suck and the Yellow Submarine sucks. In what way did I say anything as it regards writing music?
#18 Posted by Red12b (9085 posts) -
@RiotBananas said:
"LIke I said, I'm not being narrowminded I have a huge catalogue of music, some older than The Beatles, and I'm not hating against the people that like them either, they just didn't seem very good to me.  And the Hype for the game was too big, the Bombcast spent about 35-45 minutes discussing the game! "

I also think they spent awhile talking about it, But it is a wicked game and there is alot of people intrested in it at the moment, Plus Alex Navarro works for harmonix and you know.
#19 Posted by PenguinDust (12639 posts) -

Okay, I am going to go ahead and say it...If you like Oasis, how can you dislike the Beatles?  A huge chuck of their sound was inspired by [some say stolen] from the Beatles.   Noel Gallagher lists them as his favorite band of all time so it isn't by accident that they have similar styles. Source.

But, it's still okay to dislike the Beatles since no one is required to like everything that everyone else does (unless you are in junior high). 

#20 Posted by EVO (3941 posts) -

It's one thing to say you don't like something. It's another to say it sucks. Citizen Kane is generally regarded as the best film ever made. Do I like it? No. Does it suck? Nah.

#21 Posted by _k1_ (199 posts) -

Not much of a fan, but I think saying they suck is probably a little off.  You can not like something, but still not think it sucks; it might not just be to your taste.  They were good at what they did, but do they deserve the religious fervor they inspired?  probably not. 

#22 Posted by cspiffo (869 posts) -
@RiotBananas: @RiotBananas said:
" @WinterSnowblind said:
" I tend to ignore discussions like this, because everyone has different taste in music and arguing about it is somewhat pointless. But you my friend, have horrible taste in music  :) "
Rather contradictory to say that and then say my music taste is horrible, especially considering I like EVERYTHING except from The Beatles style, oh and R'n'B. "
If you like rock music and hate The Beatles then you do have poor taste since nearly all of them pay homage to them in one way or another.  Who knows what rock would have sounded like today had The Beatles not been around.
#23 Posted by RichardLOlson (1852 posts) -

No the beatles do suck monkey balls.

#24 Posted by Creamypies (4091 posts) -

I can totally understand someone saying that they do not appreciate their music, but to say they suck is just wrong. They're one of... if not the most influential bands ever.

#25 Edited by skrutop (3615 posts) -

They definitely don't suck, even if they're not your cup of tea.  I never realized how much everything I listen to is influenced by them until I started grabbing their albums a few years ago.  As for playing the songs in Rock Band, I find them to be fun, but they're certainly not challenging in any way.

#26 Posted by guiseppe (2842 posts) -

I don't see how so many can say that they don't have to suck because he has no interest in them. While at the same time saying that they are great, it's like you're not allowing him to have an opinion. Is it so hard for people to understand that some people do actually think that The Beatles suck? I mean regerdless of the level of influence they've had on the music industry. Different people have different views on things, just accept it. Now personally, I don't think The Beatles suck, but I don't have a big interest in them either. Nor do I have a single song of theirs, however I still appreciate what they did and were able to do way back when. As for the actual game, I've never gotten the whole concept of having a rhythm game where all the songs are from the same band. It just doesn't appeal to me, it's the same with Aerosmith, Metallica, Van Halen and what have you.

#27 Posted by lucas_kelly (769 posts) -

You're not the only one. I cant stand the Beatles, and I cant stand people who think they are great just because they are old.

#28 Posted by Pie (7112 posts) -
@Red12b said:
" @RiotBananas: You are not going to win here mate,  Pie is going to have a say about this no doubt,  Ill start off  *Ahem* HEY JUDE! "
DONT MAKE IT BAD! 
TAKE A SAD SONG AND MAKE IT BETTER!
REMEMBER TO LET HER INTO YOU HEART,
THEN YOU CAN START TO MAKE IT BETTER

TAKE IT AWAY RIOT BANNANAS!
#29 Posted by nrain (1274 posts) -

They are incredible. That is all.

#30 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

I don't like any songs from Metalica or Iron Maiden but I know they don't musicaly 'suck', I just don't enjoy that style of music.

#31 Posted by zombie2011 (5050 posts) -

I hate these kind of threads. Your not the only one of anything, you can have a penis for a nose and there would be someone just like you out there.

#32 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

The Love album takes me to another world I swear. Go outside on a stormy night, make sure you have a short sleeve shirt on so you can feel the rain on your arms and walk around listening to the Love album with headphones. Dude.... It's amazing.

#33 Posted by FlamingHobo (4512 posts) -

I personally don't like most of the Beatles repitoir of songs, though I hugely respect the influence they've had on many of the musicians today.

#34 Posted by SUPERhys (69 posts) -

I didn't like it either. I appreciate what the Beastles did for music and like a few of their songs, but I'm not a massive fan. I prefered GH:Metallica. But that's just cos my taste in music.

#35 Posted by Bioderm (194 posts) -

Its not because everyone seems to like them that you have to like them personally I like a couple of there song

#36 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -
@RiotBananas said:
" I don't mean to troll or anything, but I really didn't like the hype for this game.  It's basically a Rock Band track pack, and it got so much widespread hype, even mainstream news channels discussing it being a new generation of games (wtf?)  Now I don't mind rhythm action games, but to me The Beatles are just so "bleh"  This isn't coming from a guy who only listens to one genre of music either, I listen to everything from Oasis to Iron Maiden, from Heaven 17 to Dizzee Rascal, from Pendulum to AC/DC... So I know that for alot of people The Beatles were an iconic, life changing band...  But am I the only one here that thinks they really weren't anything special?  Please god don't burn me. "
I think they probably innfluenced the world the most-they are still pretty great to listen to today for most people, unlike a fair number of people who aren't. Also, they made everybody go crazy, rioting and generally acing like C-C-C-CRAZY people. Animals too. Oh, and bananas.

Rioting bananas. Huh? huh? Amirite?
#37 Posted by Hobbies (976 posts) -

I hate it when people use disliking something interchangeably with saying that something sucks. They don't mean the same thing at all.

In this case, I don't mind if someone doesn't like The Beatles, but to say that they were bad musicians (i.e., they sucked) is wrong.

#38 Posted by tranquilchaos (576 posts) -

I wonder if, in fact, the Beatles were as influential as a lot of people think they are. Not saying they aren't, just wondering aloud.... 

I know they haven't had any direct influence on me. Trying to quantify the influence of an influences influence is a bit tricky as well...

#39 Posted by Akeldama (4257 posts) -

you should be banned for this

#40 Posted by Gamer_152 (14113 posts) -

I suppose it depends how you define "suck". But I think in this case you are not using the adjective "suck" to refer to them as making technically low quality songs or songs that are perceived as low quality by the general audience. You seem to be saying that you personally really don't enjoy their music and while I don't share your opinion I can understand that.

#41 Posted by Milkman (17329 posts) -

You don't have to like them but you have to appreciate them. They made modern music what it is today and should be recognized for that.

That said, it seems that most people who say they don't like Beatles think they are some sort of MANLY MAN who only listens to MANLY MUSIC because they're a MAN.

#42 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -
@Hobbies said:
 I don't mind if someone doesn't like The Beatles, but to say that they were bad musicians (i.e., they sucked) is wrong.
#43 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

You are entitled to your own opinion. Although saying that they "suck" is kinda going to far.

#44 Posted by wafflestomp (252 posts) -

It's okay to be wrong sometimes. In this case sir, you are clearly wrong. On that note, you will listen to Oasis yet think the Beatles suck? Unreal.. haha. To each their own.

#45 Posted by bonbolapti (1626 posts) -

I like The Beatles, 
it's okay if you don't, But because it's a game you don't need to play you can hop off the Soapbox.

#46 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

I love the beatles personally. I love progressive music. They were way ahead of their time. But whatevs, dog.

#47 Edited by Valkyr (669 posts) -

I don't like The Beatles, they are so irritating to me and aw... that stupid faces, especially Ringo and Paul, but yeah, they don't suck, it's a matter of taste

#48 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I don't like them all that much. But I do not think they suck, and to say that is just dumb, because they don't.

#49 Edited by ververdan0226 (1573 posts) -

I think you can say that they don't  suit your tastes, but I find it utterly impossible to look at them and say that they are an objectively bad band or deny the influence that they had over music in the 20th century.

It's fine of you don't like them, but man... troll topic is trolling.

#50 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@Pie said:

" @Red12b said:

" @RiotBananas: You are not going to win here mate,  Pie is going to have a say about this no doubt,  Ill start off  *Ahem* HEY JUDE! "
DONT MAKE IT BAD!  TAKE A SAD SONG AND MAKE IT BETTER! REMEMBER TO LET HER INTO YOU HEART, THEN YOU CAN START TO MAKE IT BETTER  TAKE IT AWAY RIOT BANNANAS! "
HEY JUDE DON'T BE AFRAID.
YOU WERE MADE TO GO OUT AND GET HER
THE MINUTE YOU LET HER UNDER YOUR SKIN
THEN YOU BEGIN TO MAKE IT BETTER

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.