Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Binding of Isaac

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 28, 2011

A twisted twin-stick shooter from one of the designers of Super Meat Boy. Players take control of Isaac, a young boy who delves deep into the dungeons of his basement as he is hunted by his deranged mother.

Am I missing something here?

BlameGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BlameGamer

I can't seem to enjoy this game. The controls are tight, but having three hearts and dying is just dumb. Especially in a game where you are in narrow corridors with lots of pellets flying around. Even touching an enemy causes injury.

Not only that, but I die and lose absolutely everything I acquired? What gives, what am I missing here? Thank God this game only cost me 2$ yesterday, because if I payed full price, I would have been pissed.

I'm going to read comments here and give it another shot, but so far it feels like I just paid money to play a game I could have played for free on Kongregate.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By AlexW00d

The game was only like $4 at launch so it's not like you saved much. And dude, it just sounds like you don't like the game; plenty of other people do very much like the game, it's just the way it is sometimes.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By SteamPunkJin

It's a RogueLike. You have one life to make it as far as possible (there is a 1up Mushroom you can find for an extra life though). The items you 'unlock' become available to find in subsequent playthroughs.

There are literally dozens of items that will increase your life bar, finding them is always a priority.

It's also important to know that only Isaac's head can be damaged, let the bullets fly through his body. It's an incredibly great game if you can adjust to the rules. There's even an expansion coming out next week with a new character, new items and a new system of items called Trinkets.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

What you're describing are the general tropes of rogue-likes and they're probably why the genre is a fairly niche one. Games like this are meant to be very challenging, but the people who play them consider the challenge worth it for how rewarding the game is when they do overcome its challenges.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Winternet

@BlameGamer: You're not missing anything. That's the game. It's a Roguelike game. I suggest you give it another shot, it's actually a great game, in my opinion. And as games of this genre goes, it ain't too hard.

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By J12088

I think you missed the point of the game entirely. Everything you just meantioned is intentional.

BlameGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BlameGamer

@Gamer_152: Not at all I like roguelikes. I'm a huge dungeons of dredmore fan.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By benjaebe

I've played about 40 hours of Binding of Isaac. The difficulty curve is steep, but you just have to get used to the mechanics of the game, the patterns of the enemies, etc. The more you play the better you get, the more useful items you unlock, etc. It requires a bit of dedication but it's a great game. It also has a really cheap expansion pack coming out that just about doubles the amount of content.

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jrad

@BlameGamer: Dungeons of Dredmor is probably even more casual than The Binding of Isaac. If you like Nethack or Dwarf Fortress, on the other hand...

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By ch3burashka

I didn't "get it" for the first 20 hours or so. Now I'm 150 hours in. It's amazing.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By OmegaPirate

Probably a silly question but are you using a controller?

Avatar image for white_silhouette
    White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By White_Silhouette

You hit the nail on the head of what this game is. It's brutal and unforgiving. The challenge is to make it as far as you can with what you are able to scrounge in the environment. I think I've got 100+ hours in the game, died over 150 times and just unlocked the beat the game 10 times.

It may not be a game for you. That's all.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Winternet

Well, the game does have a steep learning curve, but after the first 10/15 hours you won't have any problem beating it. I haven't played for a while and I'm sure I could beat it all on my first try.

The problem then won't be beating the game, but getting the achievements.

Still, an amazing game.

theuselessgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By theuselessgod

It's also meant to be taken slowly and carefully (even with frantic waves of enemies). Lots of dual stick shooters are fast, arcadey things that start fast and end just as fast. Isaac requires you to be extremely careful while still being quick on your toes with the mad number of enemies being thrown at you. It's different than the usual dual-stick mentality, and it took me a while to wrap my head around it.

And think of it more in terms of runs rather than actually winning. The game is random so you could simply be boned from the start, or you could have the run of your life. Don't worry about persistance; you'll earn items regardless. Just have a run, enjoy the thrill of however far you get, and keep playing.

Then when you actually beat it the first time, it is so, SO sweet. Until you realize you have to do it a minimum of 12 more times and with bonus levels to get all the endings. :P

Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sbaitso

For the first while, the game is pretty OK, but once you learn all the enemies, your favorite items, bosses, ect, it becomes amazing. After 100 hours I could beat it fairly consistently(comparative to the beginning anyways, sheoul is fucked up), but now wrath is fucking me up pretty bad, god this game is amazing. Also, if you enjoy roguelikes, how is losing everything an issue? It's kind of core to the style.

BlameGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BlameGamer

@Sbaitso: Because I'm used to turn based roguelikes. Not flash games like this one. I've given the game another go, still didn't click. I regret buying it. Honestly, I've played flash games that are more fun for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.