How long did it take for you to beat Mom?

#1 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -

I have tried so hard to beat her but I just can't, the game says 53 times but around 10 of them were me losing a heart on the first basement and then restarting, so how long did it take you to beat Mom?

#2 Posted by SMTDante89 (2586 posts) -

Just regular Mom?  It was probably in my 20's I know that.  Used a Bible on her (instant kill and you get the Halo achievement/secret item) and I think that's the only reason why I beat her.  Haven't done so since, though I got close once.  Needless to say, I've never even reached Mom's Heart.

#3 Posted by Village_Guy (2665 posts) -

I was in my 20's too, I beat her the second time I reached her without any fancy Shovels or Bibles or something like that.

Just beat the Heart too on my 40-something attempt.

#4 Posted by BeachThunder (12437 posts) -

@SMTDante89 said:

Just regular Mom? It was probably in my 20's I know that. Used a Bible on her (instant kill and you get the Halo achievement/secret item) and I think that's the only reason why I beat her. Haven't done so since, though I got close once. Needless to say, I've never even reached Mom's Heart.

The shovel is your friend :P

Also, 53 to kill true Mom.

#5 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -

@SMTDante89: @Village_Guy: @BeachThunder: I hate you guys! I can't beat regular mom. :(

How long until I give up? I'm 20 tries late it seems.

#6 Posted by SMTDante89 (2586 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba: Don't give up.  It takes a while.  If you're lucky enough to find the Bible, hold onto it and if you can get to mom, use it for an instant kill.  And don't confuse it with The Book of Revelations.  The Bible is Brown in color with a black cross on it and the Book of Revelations is... a purple color I think with a white cross on the front.
#7 Posted by Optix12 (625 posts) -

first time was in my 30s. Had the card which brought out the guy which you pay for an item inside the mom room, luckily he gave me a bible for instakill, but thats after steam reinstalled it and somehow lost a previous save which had around 30 attempts. Second time a couple days ago had an epic run of awesome tear+ items and completed the whole game without a bible or shovel. It seems the last 2 levels don't have a gold room or a shop, i forget which (or both)

#8 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

I bet her on my first playthrough as Maggie. I have yet to beat her as Isaac in 30 odd tries.

#9 Posted by ValiantGoat (378 posts) -

I beat mom the first time(depths version) probably some where between my 12th and 15th run, didn't finish the womb the first time though. A few runs after I got my first mom kill(womb version). I noticed by the second mom kill I had done 22 runs and I'm still sitting around the 10% success rate with 4 mom kills currently. My first mom kill was with Cain, and second was Magdalene, I had bad luck with Isaac for a while.

Trying to finish the game with Judas now but there's also something I'm lacking in character development to really stand a chance in the womb. My last attempt I didn't get a single speed increase, and actually got a speed decrease from a pill. That was probably one of the most frustrating times I've had with the game because I was too slow to maneuver, ultimately leading to my health gradually dropping while exploring the womb.

The game largely comes down to luck, both in terms of benefiting from good luck as well as avoiding occurrences due to bad luck.

#10 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

This sounds wrong.

#11 Posted by CastroCasper (1307 posts) -

12 hours. Steam says I have played for 20 hours now and I still have only beat her once.

#12 Posted by Mentalnova (139 posts) -

at first I thought first 2 replies were trolling

#13 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -

I DID IT, I BEAT MOM FOR THE FIRST TIME!!! :D

#14 Posted by BeachThunder (12437 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

Yay, now beat the real final boss :P

#15 Posted by csl316 (9498 posts) -
@Ravenlight said:

I bet her on my first playthrough as Maggie. I have yet to beat her as Isaac in 30 odd tries.

Same here, except maybe 20 for Isaac.
#16 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

Done, on the first try! :D

I used the shovel to pass Depths 2 and went into the womb for the first time, did I miss a cut scene or anything?

#17 Posted by Mercy_ (255 posts) -

This thread is terrible if taken out of context o_O

#18 Posted by Gaidren (17 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

@BeachThunder said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

Done, on the first try! :D

I used the shovel to pass Depths 2 and went into the womb for the first time, did I miss a cut scene or anything?

Yeah, you missed the epilogue. The game is *supposed* to end when you beat Mom for the first time on Depths 2, and you don't get to try the Womb until next game. Interesting that you bypassed that with the shovel and did "True Mom" without killing the Depths version first, nice!

My first Depths Mom kill just came at attempt #18.

Here's how crazy good my luck was on that:

Halo of Flies, Lasers, Number One and Chocolate Milk to allow for super fast/chargeable lasers, skeleton key followed by Bombs Are Key for unlimited bombs, tons of heart containers AND a dollar (unlocked Mag and Cain in the same game), AND a 1-Up that I never. Even. Used. Boo-ya! Also had crazy amounts of run speed.

The only thing I was lacking some form of crossing gaps and some type of good space bar item (all I had was the useless teleporter).

I still suck at a lot of the Caves/Depths bosses, but with 90+ bombs you can brute force damn near anything.

Can't wait to see The Womb!

#19 Posted by Gaidren (17 posts) -

@Gaidren:Update: First Mom's Heart kill after 38 deaths. Did it with Maggie and the Book of Revelations/Battery combo. Is it just me or does she seem to find the BoR more often than others? I've only played Maggie a handful of times and she's found the BoR like half of the games. Maggie is growing on me....most games you encounter enough Speed Up items to make her usable late game, and the 2 extra hearts over Cain aren't trivial if you hit a 1-Up along the way or a Full Health pill. I'm still leaning towards saying Cain is probably better overall, but it is closer than I thought it was initially.

#20 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -

Just finished it my 4th time, completed it using Judas.

#21 Posted by chu52 (286 posts) -

goddamn i suck..... 115 deaths to first mom kill.....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.