I understand you unlock items the more you play.

#1 Posted by EightBitShik (1333 posts) -

My question is say you die and have to replay do you start off fresh and only become stronger the longer you play that session? or do you become stronger for everytime you play.

#2 Posted by MattyFTM (14342 posts) -

As I understand it, you don't become stronger as you play as such. If you do badly on a playthrough, it'll give you better and more powerful items the next time. If you do well, it'll give you weaker items. I don't believe it's effected by play sessions.

#3 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

In roguelike fasion, when you die you lose everything, however as long as you have unlocked the item it will always have a chance to appear in future games.

#4 Posted by Morien (159 posts) -

Each time you start is fresh, you do not keep items from previous playthroughs. You do however unlock items to appear as drops or rewards in successive plays.

#5 Posted by EightBitShik (1333 posts) -

I see thanks for clearing that up for me.

#6 Posted by Undeadpool (4908 posts) -

@MattyFTM: Here's where I'm confused: what do you mean you unlock it to show up as a drop or reward later? Isn't that how it always shows up?

#7 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
@Undeadpool said:

@MattyFTM: Here's where I'm confused: what do you mean you unlock it to show up as a drop or reward later? Isn't that how it always shows up?

Many items (probably about half if not more) will not show up in the game until you unlock it. So technically it is random what items appear, but most will not even have a chance to appear until they are unlocked.  

For example take the game kid, this item is unlocked by visiting the arcade enough times. Once unlocked it has a random chance to appear in item rooms but it can never appear in item rooms until you've unlocked it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.