Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Binding of Isaac

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 28, 2011

A twisted twin-stick shooter from one of the designers of Super Meat Boy. Players take control of Isaac, a young boy who delves deep into the dungeons of his basement as he is hunted by his deranged mother.

Just beat Satan with ???

tenderbrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tenderbrew

It was definitely one of those things that I just don't question and accept. It was the first time I'd beaten Mom, Mom's Heart, AND Satan with ???.

It's a lucky coincidence that I'll take.

tenderbrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By tenderbrew

Hell yah, 0.3% global completion rate on Steam.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BisonHero

Yeah, if you get some source of Soul Hearts and enough stat boost items so that you don't get torn apart by the enemies in The Depths and The Womb, beating Mom's Heart and Satan ends up being nearly inevitable unless you get incredibly sloppy all of a sudden.

I take it you had some combination of The Nail/The Book of Revelations/The Relic (blue cross that follows behind you and occasionally gives you Soul Hearts)?

tenderbrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By tenderbrew

Yeah I had both the Book of Rev and the Relic. But I've had those before and have done shit.  

The item that really threw me over of the top this time was that one that turns you black and gives you wings.  

I am pretty sure it made me invincible to Satan and everything in Sheol.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BisonHero

@Gnomicidal: I think that's Lord of the Pit? You mean the upgrade that you buy as a devil pact, and it gives you permanent flight, right?

Do you mean it helped you move around effectively, or do you mean it literally gave you immunity from any damage in Sheol because you were a fellow demon or something? If it's the latter, I didn't know that was possible.

tenderbrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tenderbrew

I think it literally made me invincible to the last boss. I took zero damage and definitely got hit a ton.

Gaidren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gaidren

I can't imagine Lord of the Pit trivializing the last boss is intended. I suppose it could be, though....Bible is an auto-win against Mom/Mom's Heart, but it's generally harder to come by than LotP.

Interesting. I'd love to get confirmation whether that is a bug or not.

valiantgoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By valiantgoat

I'm fairly sure Satan hit, and damaged, me once last I fought him with lord of the pit. If you had pretty fly or a cube of meat they could have been blocking the shots you thought were hitting you. So far Sheol is either too easy because your build is OP, or it's a nightmare because you aren't OP. For instance beating Mom's Heart is doable without any form of damage upgrade(definitely a lot harder), but Sheol would destroy you because you can't kill anything in a remotely timely manner.

I still need to finish Sheol with ???, but have been putting it off because beating Mom's Heart with him/her was frustrating for me(seemed to have really bad luck with ???).

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#9  Edited By BeachThunder

Just finished Sheol with ??? I had brimstone and chocolate milk; the final boss took about 30 seconds o_o

valiantgoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By valiantgoat

@BeachThunder said:

Just finished Sheol with ??? I had brimstone and chocolate milk; the final boss took about 30 seconds o_o

easily the most powerful combo in the game, it's sad how easy the game becomes with brimstone + chocolate milk.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I just realized someone changed Blue Baby's name back to ??? on the wiki page.

I am going to have to bitch slap a fool.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Just beat Satan with ???

The love of Jesus bro, the love of Jesus.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BisonHero

@ValiantGoat said:

For instance beating Mom's Heart is doable without any form of damage upgrade(definitely a lot harder), but Sheol would destroy you because you can't kill anything in a remotely timely manner.

I find that happens far sooner than Sheol. For example, when you fight regular Mom, who I think is generally a harder boss fight than Mom's Heart. Instead of alternating between "spawn wave of enemies" and "wail on weak point" like her heart, the regular Mom fight has nearly constantly spawning enemies, and Mom's position moves around constantly. If you don't have a damage upgrade of some sort, that fight can go on forever, because it takes time to kill all of the constantly spawning enemies (that are in different directions no less) that are in your way, and you barely make any progress since you have to constantly deal with enemy spawns.

Comparatively, Mom's Heart might end up taking more "waves" of enemies, but you're guaranteed to make steady progress in lowering her hit points since she just sits there undefended for several seconds at a time.

Also, I find that on most playthroughs where my character is underpowered and got almost no stat boosts, the most common thing that seems to happen is that The Womb just gradually wears me down because all of the enemies have so much goddamn health that each room takes forever. If my character is strong enough to make it through the Womb, I don't think I've actually lost to Mom's Heart or anything in Sheol even once.

Gaidren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gaidren

@BisonHero said:

@ValiantGoat said:

For instance beating Mom's Heart is doable without any form of damage upgrade(definitely a lot harder), but Sheol would destroy you because you can't kill anything in a remotely timely manner.

I find that happens far sooner than Sheol. For example, when you fight regular Mom, who I think is generally a harder boss fight than Mom's Heart. Instead of alternating between "spawn wave of enemies" and "wail on weak point" like her heart, the regular Mom fight has nearly constantly spawning enemies, and Mom's position moves around constantly. If you don't have a damage upgrade of some sort, that fight can go on forever, because it takes time to kill all of the constantly spawning enemies (that are in different directions no less) that are in your way, and you barely make any progress since you have to constantly deal with enemy spawns.

Comparatively, Mom's Heart might end up taking more "waves" of enemies, but you're guaranteed to make steady progress in lowering her hit points since she just sits there undefended for several seconds at a time.

Also, I find that on most playthroughs where my character is underpowered and got almost no stat boosts, the most common thing that seems to happen is that The Womb just gradually wears me down because all of the enemies have so much goddamn health that each room takes forever. If my character is strong enough to make it through the Womb, I don't think I've actually lost to Mom's Heart or anything in Sheol even once.

My 10th Mom's Heart kill involved using Eve, and I found ZERO damage upgrades all game (although I did find some upgrades to firing rate). I actually didn't find Mom (the Depths 2 boss) that awful in that every Mom stomp at least damages nearby enemies too, but damn did it take a long time.

On a more related note, I just played my first game with ??? and beat Satan. I had the Relic, Book of Revelations, and the ridiculous combo of Brimstone and Chocolate Milk. The Brimstone/Choc Milk thing HAS to be unintended, it is completely overpowered. Brimstone alone is nearly game breaking, let alone being able to spam it.

valiantgoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By valiantgoat

The Brimstone + Chocolate Milk combo could be fixed(assuming it isn't working as intended) come Monday. McMillen said in twitter that there is a patch coming on Monday, he's only mentioned that it is for saving issues caused by the halloween update(I've unlocked Eve 3 times now, last update seemed to fix my issue) but it's likely to include other bug fixes. Maybe I should try to finish it with ??? before the weekend ends... :P

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Winternet

I just want to come here and say "FUCK THIS GAME!" How many forms does Satan has? Fuck that! I believe I lost in his last form, but there's no way I can say for sure (it was the one where horse legs are falling from the sky). Fuck!

Gaidren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gaidren

The hoof stomping form is the final one. It's a loooong fight, or can be depending on how much damage (or how little) your character can put out.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just beat him last night with ??? myself. Was down to 1/2 spirit heart, and i was sweating. Didn't have the greatest set up, lost a lot of health in Sheol. Only reason i got there was thanks to the Ancient Sea Scroll giving me the shovel effect in the womb 2, otherwise I probably woulda been worn out had I beaten mom's heart. Now I need to find the forget me not and see what it does!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.