Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Binding of Isaac

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 28, 2011

A twisted twin-stick shooter from one of the designers of Super Meat Boy. Players take control of Isaac, a young boy who delves deep into the dungeons of his basement as he is hunted by his deranged mother.

New Binding of Isaac Wrath of the Lamb DLC

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Yep, the original Binding of Isaac is getting new DLC for the Wrath of the Lamb DLC (yep, DLC for DLC). There's going to be a hard mode with advanced versions of enemies and most bosses. Also, bug fixes.

This is quite possibly last thing I would have expected (especially since they implied editing the Flash file was almost impossible at this point). Also, this is entirely a solo project of Florian Himsl; Edmund has nothing to do with it.

I'm pretty torn about this, honestly. After playing 4 million hours of Rebirth, it will be hard to go back to the original. And there's going to be new DLC for Rebirth at some point as well; I feel that if I go back to the original, then go back to Rebirth for the DLC, I'm going to get mighty confused. More than anything though, I think the original sucks compared to Rebirth.

blzzzrrttt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

This is uh... really weird?

I mean, I'm probably going to go back and play this eventually but it's going to be hard to get used to old Isaac after playing so much Rebirth. I have a hard time imagining that many people will go back to it though since the original ran so poorly on most people's PCs.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Jeust

Will try it! :D

The longevity of this game is almost infinite.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I might give it a go.

Though the main reason I play Rebirth over the original is, as others said, performance. Even with a GTX 970 I still see framerate hitches in the original game whereas Rebirth runs perfectly smooth on my laptop with integrated graphics.

Still will put up with it for that Danny B soundtrack though.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No thanks, I'm good.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ShaggE

Wow, crazy. But I just can't go back after Rebirth.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By BisonHero

@dudeglove said:

how the hell can they squeeze more out of the flash port original? I thought Ed specifically said in that gamasutra interview that the game became highly unstable after a certain file size.

Also, no. Personally I thought WotL ruined the "original" Isaac. Adding anything more to that would be annoying.

Yeah, it kinda did ruin it. Or at least, it wasn't a great addition. Trinkets still seem lame and poorly implemented even in Rebirth, requiring you to keep platinumgod.co.uk open at all times. It's still poor design that a lot of the trinket effects are not immediately obvious and the game still gives poor hints as to what they do (even in Rebirth). I don't even understand why Cursed Skull and Umbilical Cord exist. Even in Rebirth, every Trinket is pretty meh, except some of the money ones are good, and then Cancer or Callus are OP as fuck.

Wrath of the Lamb diluted the boss item pool to the point that it's a joke. Yeah, thanks game, but Pageant Boy (here, have 6 coins) totally fucking sucks as a boss reward. It used to be that "range up" was a bad reward, but now there's all kinds of stupid garbage in there (mostly Pageant Boy and Box, though I still don't give a shit about "shot speed" as a stat so fuck every item that boosts that pointless attribute).

And the final bosses of the Cathedral and the Chest in Wrath of the Lamb ARE THE WORST BOSSES IN THE GAME. There is no interesting strategy to fight them, they're just autowin if you have a full fly shield, or they're slightly more annoying if you don't. Also the Cellar isn't even remotely balanced, because a room full of RNG dash spiders is like impossible to deal with quickly when you still have starting DPS, so hey, hope you like taking damage.

The free Halloween update that added Sheol and Satan into the original game was totally legit (and also added items like Brimstone, so that's awesome), but Wrath of the Lamb was so much more disappointing. With the release of Rebirth they fixed some of the glaring problems with Wrath of the Lamb, but I still think a lot of the game design work from Wrath of the Lamb is atrocious.

peterdotorg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I love Isaac, but I don't know that I'll go back and play the original again. Maybe if the performance somehow improves I'll give it a look, but I'm way too deep into Rebirth at this point. Real Platinum God is close...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.