Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Binding of Isaac

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 28, 2011

A twisted twin-stick shooter from one of the designers of Super Meat Boy. Players take control of Isaac, a young boy who delves deep into the dungeons of his basement as he is hunted by his deranged mother.

Question on Cain and Game difficulty

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By wunder_

Hey guys, I just grabbed this game through the Voxatron bundle and I'm having mixed feelings about the entire thing. It seems like the game simply gets harder and harder the more times you beat it, and yet I've been seeing threads from various places saying how they've gotten amazing runs with Cain/Judas. Is this simply a luck thing where they get specific item combos (Brimstone+Choco Milk) and lucky drops, or is it a skill thing or simply that the game helps with the drop rate as well as longer chapters and tougher bosses.

Also, is there an easier way to tell where the projectiles are landing? I'm having a real tough time figuring out where airborne projectiles will hit and though I usually luck out and dodge them I'd like it to be a 100% chance of knowing where they land rather than waiting for a shadow and having it be too late.

Thanks!

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

#2  Edited By ADAMWD

Getting lucky with what items you find plays a huge part in how well your run goes. With that said, if you're good at the game, you don't need awesome items to beat the game. I think one of the biggest factors is getting a lot of the passive upgrades rather than usable items, since you can only carry one of those at a time.

As far as telling where projectiles will land, a lot of it just comes from repetition. After playing the game 50+ times, you get a good sense of how all the enemies fire and what kind of range they have.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By VisariLoyalist

i just remembered i bought the voxatron bundle. Rest of the night you don't even stand a chance.

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By wunder_

@ADAMWD: Thanks! I was also wondering whether or not there was some behind the scenes calculations on heart drops? I might just be paranoid but it seems like when I'm at full HP I get hearts galore, but when I'm at half a heart all I get are keys and bombs. Maybe it's me.

Gaidren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Gaidren

I'm fairly sure heart drops are random, but always remember you can go back for hearts later if you don't need them now. My earliest Mom's Heart kills were fueled by getting a ton of hearts from the games in the Womb 2 arcade, and coming back for them after any room I took damage in. Mom's Heart is pretty easy if you go into the fight with a decent number of hearts.

valiantgoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By valiantgoat

Everything comes down to randomness, almost all items are spawned/dropped randomly, except for some bosses that always drop the same item(ie: Horsemen always drop cubes of meat). Hearts, bombs and keys are also random even if sometimes it seems like the game is just trying to be a dick to you. At first the game is mainly about learning enemy tendencies, if they really have any at all, and getting used to the various items.

From my experience getting through the game for the first time was the hardest part, after that it seemed much easier. Now I beat the game practically every run unless I'm getting extremely unlucky by getting useless/bad items. The new level, Sheol, added in the Halloween update is pretty tough but the original portion of the game becomes pretty easy after some time/experience.

ElCapitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By ElCapitan

@Wunder_: The game does literally get harder when you beat it more, but your skill also increases and, like all roguelikes, you've also got a little luck thrown in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.