Who is the best character in game?

#1 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

#2 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

Side note: Do these guys have different endings or anything? that would be cool.

#3 Posted by BeachThunder (11692 posts) -

I have a hard time using Cain and Judas, since they don't have much HP. I beat the game with Maggie, but overall, I would say Isaac, as he's balanced to be a good all-round character.

#4 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

I have a hard time using Cain and Judas, since they don't have much HP. I beat the game with Maggie, but overall, I would say Isaac, as he's balanced to be a good all-round character.

I haven't beaten the game yet but unlocked Maggie, is there any reason not to play with her like a different ending or something like that?

#5 Posted by Aishan (1009 posts) -

I've actually been having a lot of luck with Cain and Judas. They're both powerful and take down enemies and bosses a lot faster, especially Judas as he has the Book of Belial available from the start. Their low-health is a liability, especially with Judas but it is good practice at enemy avoidance if you're going for the "... Boy" achievements. Out of the two I think I prefer Cain, the Lucky Foot does seem to significantly improve the quality of found items. The standard Isaac is alright, but I hate playing as Maggie. The Yummy Heart isn't that useful, it charges far too slowly, and she is unbearably slow. If you happen to get a Speed Down pill you're pretty much screwed with her.

@NekuSakuraba: You get a special item available for beating the full game with each character:

Cain: Coin Bag - follows you around and spawns money every few rooms

Maggy: The Cross - follows you around and spawns a Faith heart every few rooms.

Judas: Robo-Baby - familiar which shoots lasers like the "technology" item

#6 Edited by Management (596 posts) -

I would say Cain due to his Lucky Foot, but ??? is also a cool character because it's more of a challenge!

#7 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

@Aishan: So since I have Maggy and Cain there is no reason to play it as Isaac?

Also, how is she that slow? her walking stat only appears 1 bar slower in the character select screen, right? In-game it should be normal speed.

#8 Posted by Aishan (1009 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba: Isaac is a good all-rounder, and he apparently has a good starting item eventually (a D6 which changes items you find on pedestals), but you need to beat the game with ??? to unlock it. And you need to beat the full-game 10 times to get ???. Until then, I don't see much of a reason to use him over the others unless you don't want to deal with the negatives of the others (Cain/Judas: low health; Maggy: low speed.)

Maggy has the lowest default speed of all the characters, and it's especially noticeable if you've been playing with Cain who's the fastest. I find movement speed to be one of the better stats, some of the later enemies move really damn fast and some of the bosses, notably Lust, can close in on Maggy really quick.

#9 Posted by Gnomicidal (92 posts) -

Does beating Mom the first time not give you a "mom kill"? I beat her once, unlocking the Womb with Maggie, but it did not increase my "mom kill" stat. Do I need to beat the entire game to get a mom kill?

#10 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

@Gnomicidal said:

Does beating Mom the first time not give you a "mom kill"? I beat her once, unlocking the Womb with Maggie, but it did not increase my "mom kill" stat. Do I need to beat the entire game to get a mom kill?

Yes. By beating the full game including the womb, only then will you truly kill mom.

#11 Posted by Gnomicidal (92 posts) -

Ok, understood. Was just making sure my game wasn't bugged.

#12 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

@Aishan said:

@NekuSakuraba: Isaac is a good all-rounder, and he apparently has a good starting item eventually (a D6 which changes items you find on pedestals), but you need to beat the game with ??? to unlock it. And you need to beat the full-game 10 times to get ???. Until then, I don't see much of a reason to use him over the others unless you don't want to deal with the negatives of the others (Cain/Judas: low health; Maggy: low speed.)

Maggy has the lowest default speed of all the characters, and it's especially noticeable if you've been playing with Cain who's the fastest. I find movement speed to be one of the better stats, some of the later enemies move really damn fast and some of the bosses, notably Lust, can close in on Maggy really quick.

So after I beat the game once, what changes? Why should I play it again?

#13 Posted by Aishan (1009 posts) -

After you beat Mom the first time, you get another new area and the real final boss at the end.

Each time you beat the game, you get new items to find.

After you beat it six times everything gets even harder.

#14 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

@Aishan said:

After you beat Mom the first time, you get another new area and the real final boss at the end.

Each time you beat the game, you get new items to find.

After you beat it six times everything gets even harder.

Thanks, one thing though, are you SURE maddy has a slower running speed? Play her and check her stats in game and she has 2 bars just like Isaac. Also, from the wiki -

Starts out with 4 hearts, 2 points of attack power, 2 points of attack speed, 2 points of range and 2 points of speed. She also starts the game with the Yum Heart but no other consumables. The Character Selection screen shows that she is slower than Issac but upon entering the game, her stats are the same.

#15 Posted by Gnomicidal (92 posts) -

I think Maggie is the best because she seems literally impossible to kill. I had her starting item up until the end of the game, acquired the vampire power as well. It was totally unfair. Sacrificed two hearts to the devil and still ended the game with seven hearts.

#16 Posted by ADAMWD (564 posts) -

I've beaten the full game with each of the characters, and I'd have to say that what character you choose doesn't matter nearly as much as what items you find throughout the game. With that said, since I've already beaten the game with everyone, I won't play as anyone other than Isaac simply because he's the most balanced and is easiest to max out all stats on.

#17 Posted by Deathpooky (1374 posts) -

I like Judas so long as I get some extra hearts on the early levels. Between his strength and the Book of Belial he makes short works of the early bosses and it's easy to make it through the basement without taking much damage. But after that it's way too easy to die if you haven't gotten some additional health.

I agree Maggie is the worst. Extra health is nice, but the lowered other stats suck terribly and the yum heart isn't as useful as you'd like. 4-5 hearts and some weapon/speed upgrades are the best way to make it through, and it's a lot easier to get there with everyone but Maggie.

#18 Posted by ValiantGoat (376 posts) -

@ADAMWD: Realising that item luck is the biggest factor in how far you can make it in a run, why would you not think Cain to be the best character. I find his increased luck to be really helpful, I generally make it further with him then the others. You are right about the item luck being the biggest factor, that and not getting some really annoying room continually(which can happen sometimes).

#19 Posted by ADAMWD (564 posts) -

@ValiantGoat: I've actually started using Cain a bit more. I still haven't used him enough times to notice a difference in what items you pick up, but I would say now that he's a good choice to go with as well.

#20 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Judas is the only character worth taking for any of the Iron Boy achievements, if you're taking in anyone else for better health you're doing it wrong. The only acceptable substitute is really Cain because of his higher base speed and his passive Rabbit's Foot.

Generally I use Cain for normal runs because his unique item is passive so it doesn't take up a slot and he is basically just an improved Isaac in every way minus one heart, which if you've taken everything out at least once you probably won't miss it much.

I've been using Isaac a lot more since I unlocked the D6 though since it makes it a lot easier to find new items.

#21 Posted by BeachThunder (11692 posts) -

Sigh, I've come so close with Cain twice now ;_; I just keep getting killed by heart bombs =( sigh.

I'm going to keep trying with him though, since I'm seeing what LXB is saying about the lucky foot item. It's not immediately apparent, but one thing I've noticed about the foot is a general lack of bad items.

#22 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

Sigh, I've come so close with Cain twice now ;_; I just keep getting killed by heart bombs =( sigh.

I'm going to keep trying with him though, since I'm seeing what LXB is saying about the lucky foot item. It's not immediately apparent, but one thing I've noticed about the foot is a general lack of bad items.

You could always try your luck and see if you can buy the foot with 1 heart, I did it and I got up to Mom...

Of course I didn't win though. >_>

#23 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

Any tips on killing those jumping bodies that shoot blood when they land? They caused me to loose when I had around 8 hearts and awesome items.

#24 Posted by ValiantGoat (376 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba: You can try running in circles shooting towards the middle of the room, but it's not an ideal tactic. If the room layout isn't too bad you can wait for them to jump and then stop out of the way on an angle and past them after they shoot. The leapers are the worst when they aren't the only enemy around, particularly when combined with other enemies with projectiles. Defiantly one of the toughest/annoying enemies, they can really ruin a good run in the womb.

#25 Posted by sawtooth (429 posts) -

I play Judas. The book he starts with makes first couple boss fights a cake walk.

#26 Edited by ateatree (80 posts) -

Issac, post D6 acquisition.

When this happens, the rest of the game is pretty inconsequential.

All stats at max, Mega Bomb shots as my default fire. I had a better chance of hurting myself than the enemies had of hurting me.

#27 Edited by SoldierG654342 (1735 posts) -

Issac has no ground to recover while all the other characters are lacking in at least one stat, which makes him grow the fastest. Cain is a close second though.

#28 Edited by beef_melody (259 posts) -

Depends on what you're going for.

Isaac - All rounder, more survivable with damage powerups.

Maggie - Strong, but definitely get speed powerups.

Cain - Can become ridiculous depending on drops, my go-to character for finishing.

Judas - Good for No Hit runs, gets a very good item to start with.

??? - Not unlocked yet.

#29 Posted by BeachThunder (11692 posts) -

After finishing the game 8 times now, I can say Cain is definitely the best character. Don't underestimate the power of the lucky foot - easier bosses, better items, increased luck with gambling etc...

#30 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

@ateatree: Wow, how the hell do you have so many powerups? That's crazy.

Anyway, 5,000 posts!

#31 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@beef_melody said:

??? - Not unlocked yet.

I can tell you right now you won't be using him more than the one time.
#32 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish
@beef_melody said:

??? - Not unlocked yet.

What's wrong with him?
#33 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba said:
@LordXavierBritish
@beef_melody said:

??? - Not unlocked yet.

What's wrong with him?
He has only faith hearts, he can never get any HP upgrades, his starting item does nothing, and his stats are horrible.
#34 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

@NekuSakuraba said:
@LordXavierBritish
@beef_melody said:

??? - Not unlocked yet.

What's wrong with him?
He has only faith hearts, he can never get any HP upgrades, his starting item does nothing, and his stats are horrible.

AKA Best character to use to challenge yourself. Was very interesting playing as that guy for me, loved it.

#35 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@ShiftyMagician said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@NekuSakuraba said:
@LordXavierBritish
@beef_melody said:

??? - Not unlocked yet.

What's wrong with him?

AKA Best character to use to challenge yourself. Was very interesting playing as that guy for me, loved it.

I felt kind of cheated because I got Book of Revelations and Relic on my second playthrough with him so I pretty much had infinite health.

I got that D6 though so fuck it, now I never have to do that again.
#36 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

@ShiftyMagician said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@NekuSakuraba said:
@LordXavierBritish
@beef_melody said:

??? - Not unlocked yet.

What's wrong with him?

I felt kind of cheated because I got Book of Revelations and Relic on my second playthrough with him so I pretty much had infinite health. I got that D6 though so fuck it, now I never have to do that again.

That's okay though. All's fair in that game and getting the D6 makes Isaac more fun for everybody. I was kind of hoping there was one more ending for ??? though. Can't wait for the Final Chapter Update.

#37 Edited by Ghostiet (5224 posts) -

Right now, I find Cain to be the shittiest character ever. His lucky foot DOESN'T WORK for me, like, at all. I had a slew of shitty items like the Teleporter, The Bean or Shoop Da Woop, finding a boatload of keys but no bomb ever and Gurdy's been pretty much a boss EVERY time. He's faster and stronger, that's for sure, but I fail to find anything useful with him.

So far, my best run was with Maggy, but her abysmal speed makes her total crap if I don't find anything that increases speed. Gemini or Lust are a bitch with her normal speed.

#38 Posted by Chetyre (3 posts) -

I think Magdelene is the worst. I just hate how slow she is. I find Isaac to be the easiest to play.

#39 Posted by Gaidren (17 posts) -

Maggie has grown on me. There are a ton of Speed Up items in the game, and it only takes a couple of them for her to really shine. I also like that she has the flexibility to do a deal with the devil early if he's offering something super useful. I still feel Cain is the best (pre-Isaac D6), but Maggie isn't as far behind as I once thought.

#40 Posted by Gaidren (17 posts) -

I just finished the game with Maggie for the second time....I've only gotten one kill with Cain despite using him more. I managed to finish with Maggie despite having garbage speed (found the Belt but was offset by Speed Down pill and Small Rock).

#41 Posted by GlenTennis (3144 posts) -

I play as Cain mostly, because I'm a sucker for those devil room items and Judas doesn't have enough life to justify them.

#42 Posted by SMTDante89 (2545 posts) -

I usually stick with Cain for the Lucky Foot Item. It's going to be a while before I beat the game 10 times (though I'm getting there) and I'm not looking forward to playing as ??? to get the D6.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.