Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 08, 2013

A third-person, squad-based, tactical game that recounts humanity's first contact with aliens during the Cold War in the 1960s, and the subsequent founding of the XCOM organization.

E3 2011: XCOM Trailer

• 79 results
    hayami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By hayami

i will always love 1950's settings

IzunaDrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By IzunaDrop

The keyword here is 'Suspenders'. Rock dem slacks!

Let's hope that geode-men are only the mid-tier enemy and we get some kind of full blown geometric alien overlords later in the game. The 80's Battlezone race dont creep me out enough.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By gike987
    @UnrealDP said:

@ahoodedfigure: Dude you don't just make Xcom games the same over and over, turn based to turn based, you need some variety to keep things from getting stale and this looks amazing! Look at   Red faction with the series landing great games with huge success and Red faction changed from fps to third person open world during that time, but if you just want them to make the same type of game with little to no major differences then hey look no further then pokemon......

You obviously know nothing about the history of X-COM. Why even comment, when it only makes you look like a fool. The last turn based X-COM game was made in 1997. After that we got a space sim, a third person shooter and now we get an FPS that has nothing to do with the old games.
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By onarum

The only possible way I'll give this a fuck is if they kept all the management stuff intact and this that they have been showing is just the combat sequences (when you send landing crews). fat chance......

Otherwise it's just yet another generic FPS that shouldn't even be named Xcom at all.

jeffk38uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By jeffk38uk
    @gike987: As opposed to the two you listed which were also not turn based, and fairly terrible if I remember correctly. The point he makes is that sometimes a franchise needs to do something new to reinvigorate it or to adapt to a new age. Judging by recent articles coming out for E3 on this new one, that is exactly what they are doing. Squad control, base management, resource control and research. In some respects, those are core X-com values.
    SadisticWOlf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By SadisticWOlf

Doesn't look very good. That and the hijacking of the X-COM brand really putting me off the game.

rockinkemosabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#57  Edited By rockinkemosabe

wait. I thought this trailer was uploaded already, why are there two of the same trailer? Interns!

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#58  Edited By godzilla_sushi

You know, this one isn't really doing it for me. For whatever reason, it reminds me of the Area 51 FPS from a few years back.

Avatar image for sandwich_adjustment
    sandwich_adjustment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i kind of like! i do agree with some of the comments here though. For some reason it also reminds me of the Sims. Guess i will jump in the juarez mobile and try it one day

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#60  Edited By Nomin

Well the game tagline seems to obliquely comment on how the game industry treats its bygone years of classic property or brand. 

beeftothetaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By beeftothetaco

I miss the slime from the trailer from last year. These enemies seem kind of generic.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#62  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @UnrealDP said:
    @ahoodedfigure: Dude you don't just make Xcom games the same over and over, turn based to turn based, you need some variety to keep things from getting stale and this looks amazing! Look at   Red faction with the series landing great games with huge success and Red faction changed from fps to third person open world during that time, but if you just want them to make the same type of game with little to no major differences then hey look no further then pokemon......
    I don't tend to look at Pokemon.

X-Com had a good formula going. If you want to just take the name and pretty much discard the rest, what you're doing is sliding in on name recognition. Nodding your head at certain processes that remind us of what X-Com did isn't enough to justify the name without even a subtitle to help differentiate it. You may notice my complaint was relatively mild compared to some of the others' here, since I see that they were trying to at least have a base where you can work on the tech you find, have a squad of people and not just a single guy, that sort of thing.

X-Com also has a long history of the people who owned the title not trying to refine what was a good formula, instead pretending it was the brand itself that was great. It wasn't that great, really, it was the gameplay combination of strategic world management, interception, and squad-based combat. XCOM may have all those things, but the changes are so radical it doesn't feel like it's doing what a lot of people here think is justice to what makes X-Com "X-Com".  You get a bit of the trailer burnout syndrome, too, where everyone who knows what X-Com was about is left waiting when the name similarity will mean something.  "Shootin' aliens" is about all one would pick up from seeing this.

There IS a problem with changing too little of course; X-Com Terror from the Deep was little better than a reskin in most ways. And I do think XCOM on its own looks fine. It's the name that's rubbing people the wrong way because if you change too much after all this time not paying tribute to what made the game so memorable, what's the point? 

Third person shooter to first person shooter isn't that big of a switch compared to this, by the way, but you need to play X-Com a bit to know why people want to see an improved version of the original rather than a vague homage with the exact same name.  There are a few games coming out who are trying to bring that game formula to modern audiences with some changes, but we'll only really know how close XCOM is to X-Com when the game actually gets reviewed. Right now, judging by the trailers, we only know what they've said in interviews. The fact that it looks kinda neat isn't really an argument in the game's favor.
    Avatar image for harvey_the_pooka
    harvey_the_pooka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By harvey_the_pooka
    morecowbell24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 37

#64  Edited By morecowbell24

I can't imagine they thought Mass Effect would be released on 3-6 as well, this'll probably be pushed back a month

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#65  Edited By PandaBear

The old Xcom games aren't going ANYWHERE. So you'll ALWAYS have them ... but this is something new. Personally, I only played UFO: Enemy Unknown, and really liked it back in the day, but c'mon lets give this game a chance.

Every series that's worth revisiting will go through changes, look at Fallout, it was an isometric RPG to tactical turn-based game to first-person shooter/RPG ... as long as the world and the tone are consistent the genre can change. I'm willing to bet this will be a solid game.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Vodun

It's amazing how a couple of short trailers allow people to know everything there is about a game. At this point, no one knows exactly what it will be. Just chill out and see what it'll be in the end.

Hate that it's an FPS? It might be the best FPS you ever played. Love that they've ditched the TB-strategy bit? They may have so much strategy and nerdy details in there you'll drown. No one knows.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Eyz

A new entry in the XCOM series (similar to the classic Fallout games) which has been reimagined as a 3rd person action western RPG (kinda like the modern recent Fallout entries)......

Well...

It's shaping up quite nicely...and very scifi-ysh! 
    Though I can imagine fans having quite a hard time with this evolution...

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#68  Edited By geirr

I didn't know this was a basement project because it kinda looks it,

here's hoping for more polish though.. not that I'm interested in it at all beyond the title.

I remember 328 years ago when playing the original in DOS and the fear it instilled as

team members panicked in battle and the cool vehicles and fancy alien ships

on the bottom of the ocean to enter and explore and blahblah... dream..blah..drool..

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#69  Edited By Winternet

I so hope this turns out great.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#71  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @UnrealDP: If you want to hash this out, keep your posts in public.  If all X-Com is about for you is shooting aliens, the brand doesn't mean a whole lot, since half the games out there are about shooting aliens. I don't see the direct lineage you do because there's not a whole lot in common with the games of the past except basic themes and a name.

EDIT: I've pretty much laid out how I feel here, and that was a year ago almost.
    MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 15

#72  Edited By MjHealy

Looks cool but that frame rate is looking pretty sketchy at this point.

mrbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#73  Edited By mrbubbles

i never played any of the old xcom games and have no idea what to expect from this so i'll wait for the quicklook.

Mantel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#74  Edited By Mantel

As one of the X-COM fanatics I'll still give this a go... after the reviews.

• For my own tastes though I'm not liking the 50's style, had enough of that with bioshock. Can't say I'm a fan of the style, I'll try to ignore that when looking at the game.
    • The fact that it could be based only around a single town or area (although X-COM's locations where small maps with repeating tiles I still like the idea of saving Rio from aliens... or letting them take over countries I might not like) Could this sense of weight really be transferred to a small area
    • More elements of bioshock in the game than I care to see tbh. Bioshock was a good game, I didn't bother with Bioshock 2 so I can't comment on it, I just don't want this to be known as XCOM:Bioshock with aliens or when someone asks "What's this XCOM game?" "Why, it's like bioshock but on land and with aliens."
    MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#75  Edited By MeatSim

Why can't aliens ever be friendly?

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By prestonhedges

It's just a weird thing.

Fallout 3 was a modern RPG based on an old RPG, and carried through some of the original games' art direction and story. If you're not going to use the original art direction or story, then why even bother? And if there's no modern equivalent to turn-based strategy (and there isn't), then too bad. It's not like research and alien invasion are what defines X-Com. What defines X-Com is having your entire squad get murdered because an alien tossed a grenade and all your dudes were all standing around in a circle, or watching your squad members slowly get their brains sucked out by a living brain-beak thing.

XCOM may very well be a cool game, but that just begs the question: why isn't it an original IP? It's not like there are mad X-Com dollars to be getting out of it.

As an X-Com fan, I don't feel betrayed, just mildly confused.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By UnrealDP

@ahoodedfigure
    Gah hang on a sec i thought i replied in the thread let me repost what i said in here.

mosdef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By mosdef
    @antivanti said:

I kind of feel this would have been better off as a new IP without baggage of what people feel XCOM should be..

For Console only players  the equivalent would be shoving Halo into Farmville so that the PC audience would enjoy it.  Although that doesn't sound half bad.
    UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By UnrealDP
    @ahoodedfigure said:

@ahoodedfigure:
    Ok here is what i said:
    What makes Xcom "Xcom" is the name and aliens fighting humans on earth. Look at what the games that game after the turn based ones tryed to do, they poorly executed cool concepts trying to take the game in a less stale direction. I know you x com fans, hell im one of them, are butt hurt that Xcom isn't the same game as the original, but your looking in the wrong places! Xcom is moving on, going to developers who can do this series justice in the non turn based realm. You Xcom fans don't get that they may return som day, but look else where! Xenonauts is a creative HD game made to capture the essence of Xcom! The Xcom games original creater has gone on to make a great turn based ghost recon game for the 3DS! Move on you silly Xcom fans!!!!
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/10/xenonauts-dev-diary-exclusive-first-ground-combat-screens-and-walkthrough/

Heres what you said:
    @UnrealDP

: If you want to hash this out, keep your posts in public.  If all X-Com is about for you is shooting aliens, the brand doesn't mean a whole lot, since half the games out there are about shooting aliens. I don't see the direct lineage you do because there's not a whole lot in common with the games of the past except basic themes and a name.

EDIT: I've pretty much laid out how I feel here, and that was a year ago almost.  

and heres what i say: 
    Exactley, you have proven my point, the Xcom name mean nothing but certain themes and aliens, so if you want the brand to mean something again you need to revamp it, reimagine it, and give it to some developers who know what they're doing! If the Xcom name is turn based fun to you then do what i said before and stop being a dick about this game and move on. I listed a few of the many amazing games that took the Xcom formula and made it better, hell thats all xenonauts is, so whats your problem if the games you want are already being made just with different names?

Note it looks confusing on the who said what angle 
    1st me 
    2nd hoodedfigure 
    3rd me again

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By prestonhedges

What makes Xcom "Xcom" is the name and aliens fighting humans on earth. Look at what the games that game after the turn based ones tryed to do, they poorly executed cool concepts trying to take the game in a less stale direction. I know you x com fans, hell im one of them, are butt hurt that Xcom isn't the same game as the original, but your looking in the wrong places! Xcom is moving on, going to developers who can do this series justice in the non turn based realm. You Xcom fans don't get that they may return som day, but look else where! Xenonauts is a creative HD game made to capture the essence of Xcom! The Xcom games original creater has gone on to make a great turn based ghost recon game for the 3DS! Move on you silly Xcom fans!!!! 

Does that include the developers of this XCOM?

Watch the intro to the original X-Com. Go ahead. I'll wait. Now watch the trailer for XCOM. It's like taking Bulletstorm and calling it Smash TV. Unless there's a guy in a football helmet shooting dudes in a gameshow, it ain't Smash TV, and this ain't X-Com.

Unless you eventually get an all-blue jumpsuit with massive shoulder pads as an armor upgrade, and you eventually shoot some snakemen. But time will tell.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.