• 59 results
#1 Posted by Hugh_Jazz (327 posts) -

I thought this game had bit the dust...

#2 Posted by Ezekeilpurger (319 posts) -

THIS IS A REAL GAME? HOLY BALLS.

#3 Posted by shinigami420 (640 posts) -

Another fps games.....

#4 Posted by Jeffk38uk (710 posts) -

Loving the alien design, and gameplay looks good, plus what I've read up to this point I hope its a pretty good game.

Won't stop the hardcore X-Com fans from crying about it tho...

#5 Posted by Hugh_Jazz (327 posts) -
@shinigami420: I think calling it just another fps game is a bit reductionist. Provided that it sticks with the R&D mechanics of the old games it'll probably be quite a bit more complex than a run and gun shooter. I'm getting a good vibe from it; getting equal parts Ghostbusters and Bioshock impressions, and will be looking forward to it, provided that the aforementioned mechanics actually result in some decision-making gameplay and not just a straight-on tech "path".
#6 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -

I like he part where they captured the thing. I didn't expect that. 

I liked the designs of the orb aliens and the discs and cubes and weird shapes, but I don't like the idea that some of em are just straight-up alien shaped.

#7 Posted by gaseous (16 posts) -

I really want this game to work out, but for some reason I don't think it'll be as fun as the original just because they want to appeal to as many people as possible and the original Xcom was far from appealing for the average gamer nowadays. 

#8 Edited by CornBREDX (4457 posts) -

Looks cooler then it did before- they're doing some interesting stuff here. It's a real shame this game is going to fail. 

That's just a prediction, though. All the talk around the older fans of XCom think this is a travesty so they may not buy it, and I'm only going to guess based on other interesting titles like Singularity not being so successful that the people who don't know XCom wont buy it in large enough numbers to really say this game is a success.

I want it for the novelty. To me it's going to be an interesting experiment in design. When we first saw it it was all about black goo- now they have this max headroom approach to stuff (possession) that looks a lot more interesting. If this game does ever come out I want to be able to say I played it. 

I wonder how shifting design ideas and them not seeming to know what they want from this is going to affect the overall final product. I don't know why, but I find it fascinating.

#9 Posted by leejunfan83 (901 posts) -

another shooter 

#10 Posted by GozerTC (452 posts) -

I am one of the "Old X-com Guys" and I agree that it will not appeal to X-com loyalists.  I Might give it a try but I really wish they had named it something else. :\ 

#11 Posted by Fontelroy (92 posts) -

I think I liked the last e3 trailer more.... art style seemed more striking without block-men alien bad guys and tetris space ships. This new art direction and extended look at the gameplay makes the game seem kinda run of the mill....

#12 Posted by drew327 (539 posts) -
@shinigami420: I would say it looks pretty different, whereas something like MW3 is 'another fps game'.... I mean, Portal 2 was hardly another fps game.  

That said, just visually judging this game, it does not look very nice.  Am I nuts?  Some of the effects are impressive but the ground and wall textures kind of jumped out at me as looking pretty low-quality.  

Still on my radar though
#13 Posted by kidman (458 posts) -

This looks kind of... bad. It's choppy, and the graphics don't look so good. I like the style and atmosphere but i don't know it if's gonna be enough.

#14 Edited by DamOver (11 posts) -

Wow, that was eye opening, forgot how much X-com was like tron. And they seem to have diverted away from the goo creatures which looked cool in the previous trailers too. "Nope we're gonna go with a Tron of Duty: Group Fortress 2 motif, get out of my office and wipe that originality off your face". Whereas previously was a sense of enthusiasm and mystery to whether 2K could make a FPS X-Com, now is just terminal indifference.  
Thought this would be more investigating & narrative; akin to some sort of L.A Noire X-files with added Goo creatures. *Sad Face* 
 It looks dated a year before release and the "enemies" or space cube men look less characterised than Keanu Reeves in  [insert film here]. 
 I think all I am trying to say is... 

Why? 

Fan of old X-com: Damo (Not angry, just disappointed) 

#15 Posted by cannedstingray (380 posts) -

I was hoping for less shooting, and more exploration/investigating. I'm still interested, just less optimistic

#16 Posted by Slaneesh (850 posts) -

Doesnt look good when the trailer has framedrops

#17 Edited by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1722 posts) -

A video game where I get to defend the USA from alien invasion in a first person perspective? What a novel idea!

#18 Posted by feDaykin7 (10 posts) -

wow, how disappointing. nice premise, completely average fps...

#19 Posted by kollay (1923 posts) -

Blocky.

#20 Posted by jonc151 (68 posts) -

With the inner child that calls out for turned based squad combat dying, there is hope that the story progression and developement is enough to keep this game on the radar. People who don't know about X-Com will probably dismiss this game as just another shooter. Hopefully people who remember back to 1994 and 486 computers will find that there is something of an homage to the original game to cling on to.

#21 Edited by Mayu_Zane (603 posts) -

Not going to judge a game by a trailer, will wait for the reviews and also hear what my friends have to say about it.

That said, it isn't a very good trailer.

EDIT: Gotta say though, I love the fact that you can turn enemy weapons against the aliens, just like you did in X-COM. That rotating circle of death is awesome.

#22 Posted by kerikxi (527 posts) -

As an old school fan, I'm actually not completely jaded on this reboot yet. X-Com had two distinct layers; the tactical turn based combat and the geoscape management. If you put this game in the same turns, they've replaced the turn based combat with FPS, but what I'm really interested in is the strategic overlay between missions that links it together. They've hinted and mentioned things, but haven't really gone into detail about base management, research, etc. Those are the elements that will set this game apart from other shooters, and will make or break the game entirely. But if they handle it well, and if the action is actually fun to play, it could be amazing.

#23 Posted by dyong (331 posts) -

I'm certainly hoping this game will be good on its own merits so that the old fanboys will have to bury their rose-tinted glasses to play it.

#24 Posted by darkjester74 (1545 posts) -

Digging the visual design, not sure about the game play tho...

#25 Posted by ckeats (489 posts) -

Looks like an Evangelion, Call of Duty cross over with out the Evas.

#26 Posted by mortal_sb (499 posts) -

love the interversion like design for the enemies and all that. but a shooter with a cover system and squad commands seems preeetty preeeetty standard.

#27 Edited by EastboundSpider (93 posts) -

No chryssalids, no purchase.

#28 Edited by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

O_O 

Looks pretty incredible. I'm glad they're taking the gameplay in a fresh direction, if just because pandering to the original XCOM players at this point is kind useless, as they're probably all stubborn old bastards by now anyway :) 

Judging from the trailer and stuff I heard this game looks to be a feast of interesting ideas and scenery, and sweetjesus the art direction is al kinds of magical! Definitely something unique here - how you can manage that from a reboot is beyond me. 

JUST WANT MORE INFO D:

#29 Edited by Warchief (646 posts) -

oh cool we need another FPS
#30 Posted by SensuousLettuce (103 posts) -

Looks. Bad.

#31 Posted by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

Well... it comes out on my birthday. That is a thing that is happening.

#32 Posted by Subjugation (4693 posts) -

Didn't expect this to be a FPS. Not sure what to think of that.

#33 Posted by Toxin066 (3197 posts) -

XCom is looking very 2008.

#34 Posted by radioactivez0r (808 posts) -

I don't want to give up on it yet, but they are going to need trailers that don't focus on shooting stuff to get me at all interested in this.

#35 Posted by Tennmuerti (7723 posts) -

Waiter, there is an FPS in my X-com !

#36 Posted by TheSmashing (313 posts) -

Looks interesting. I'm getting a Bioshock vibe from it.

#37 Posted by GeekWhenSpoken2 (48 posts) -

If someone held back the title card and told me this was a Conduit prequel I'd believe them. That's not a good thing...

#38 Posted by xrolfx (103 posts) -

This is kind of a shitty trailer. I really hope there's more to this game than what looks like pretty mediocre shooting action.

#39 Posted by AngriGhandi (683 posts) -

Squad commands? Research? Destructible environments, maybe?? Very interested to see where this game is going.

Transforming geometric head-man was pretty cool as well

#40 Posted by DBagalot (159 posts) -

I'll wait till reviews before calling it another shooter and putting it in the same category as MW3.

#41 Posted by Atilac (89 posts) -

Fuck 2K for destroying the xcom series

#42 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19158 posts) -

This reminds me of Bioshock, so I'm interested in it.

#43 Posted by Chumm (205 posts) -

God dammit the tone seems so great and then durpdedurp imma shootin from cover

#44 Posted by Rudy (124 posts) -

Thanks for ruining XCOM.

Sigh.

#45 Posted by drstrawberry (103 posts) -

Looks really good
#46 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

Can't wait for this :)

#47 Posted by thebigJ_A (978 posts) -

Ok, so it's not what X-Com was. If I remove that from my mind and look at it as a new IP, it does look really interesting, and potentially good. I hope it ends up that way.

#48 Posted by Daftasabat (509 posts) -

looks like a game that came out 5 years ago...

#49 Posted by MisterMouse (3531 posts) -

that seems really cool, the different style of the enemies seems almost refreshing within that world.

#50 Posted by WizardShazam (135 posts) -

@Daftasabat said:

looks like a game that came out 5 years ago...

This, and I really wish they didn't feel the need to slap the X-Com name on it. From the looks of the trailer, it doesn't appear that it is going to do the name any favors.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.