Research This XCOM E3 Debut Trailer

• 101 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Locate, research, and retreat. These are the three ideas presented in the XCOM E3 2010 debut trailer, a bit of footage that also dedicates a decent chunk of time to establishing the game's suburban 1950's setting.    

== TEASER == 2K Games has been keen on pointing out that XCOM will lean on strategy moreso than traditional, run-and-gun FPS action. So it isn't much of a surprise to see that the publisher is continuing to push the strategy bullet-point, choosing to illuminate the fact that we'll be snapping pictures of foes BioShock-style, in addition to being told to simply escape effed-up alien encounters. But at the same time, it's awesome that these non-traditional and interesting mechanics are getting the spotlight.  You go, XCOM!

2K Marin, one of the studios behind BioShock 2, are behind XCOM. It's now slated for a 2011 release and, for the record, those aliens look like a cigar smoker's boogers (or Venom).
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Locate, research, and retreat. These are the three ideas presented in the XCOM E3 2010 debut trailer, a bit of footage that also dedicates a decent chunk of time to establishing the game's suburban 1950's setting.    

== TEASER == 2K Games has been keen on pointing out that XCOM will lean on strategy moreso than traditional, run-and-gun FPS action. So it isn't much of a surprise to see that the publisher is continuing to push the strategy bullet-point, choosing to illuminate the fact that we'll be snapping pictures of foes BioShock-style, in addition to being told to simply escape effed-up alien encounters. But at the same time, it's awesome that these non-traditional and interesting mechanics are getting the spotlight.  You go, XCOM!

2K Marin, one of the studios behind BioShock 2, are behind XCOM. It's now slated for a 2011 release and, for the record, those aliens look like a cigar smoker's boogers (or Venom).
#2 Edited by gosukiller (2324 posts) -

XCOM! I like they are taking the Bioshock photo mechanic, even though I disliked the BS2 camera thing.

#3 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

!MOCX

#4 Posted by Dogma (943 posts) -

Hmm....it's starting to look interesting. 

#5 Posted by Chaser324 (6255 posts) -

Looks like it could potentially be a very cool game...but it doesn't look much like X-Com.

#6 Posted by Milkman (16481 posts) -

My only concern is that fighting blobs of ink could become really annoying as they are bouncing all over the place.

#7 Posted by gike987 (1747 posts) -

I wish they could stop taking names from old games and do new games that has absolutely nothing to do with the old game.

#8 Posted by biospank (647 posts) -

another 2011 game this fall is going to be dry afterall

#9 Posted by Yzzerdd (521 posts) -

The Sims:Bioshock Edition

#10 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

Oh man this game looks terrible. Beyond the whole FPS bastardization thing who the fuck wants to advertise shooting choppy black gobs of ink in their first trailer? This game is dead from day one.

#11 Edited by Wick (47 posts) -

Why put the X-Com name on this? It is just going to serve to piss off the people who actually played it 20 years ago. This doesn't resemble anything like the original and I didn't expect it to. So why? Is a 20 year old niche game really going to get people nostalgic enough to buy it in droves?

#12 Posted by IamNOTatalkingpony (264 posts) -

Looks good...Bit worried about those AI partners though.
#13 Posted by napalmtrees (79 posts) -

I have a feeling they'll attach more story elements from older X-COM games than what people are expecting.  I can't imagine they'd put that name, of all names, on there if that wasn't the case.

#14 Posted by whitesox (225 posts) -

Looks interesting.

#15 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

I don't get peoples negative reaction to this. I personally think this looks interesting. I think the black inc thing can turn out to be a neat little idea. 

#16 Posted by Wick (47 posts) -
@napalmtrees said:
" I have a feeling they'll attach more story elements from older X-COM games than what people are expecting.  I can't imagine they'd put that name, of all names, on there if that wasn't the case. "
XCom had no story, no protagonist, and no names. It was a tactical game that was set up as aliens are invading the earth you have to stop them.
#17 Posted by iizcallum (606 posts) -

I've never played the older X-Com games nor do I have any knowledge of what they played like/what they were about, but taken as it's own game, this looks very interesting. And if it's as good as Bioshock 2, I'm in.

#18 Posted by napalmtrees (79 posts) -
@Wick said:
" @napalmtrees said:
" I have a feeling they'll attach more story elements from older X-COM games than what people are expecting.  I can't imagine they'd put that name, of all names, on there if that wasn't the case. "
XCom had no story, no protagonist, and no names. It was a tactical game that was set up as aliens are invading the earth you have to stop them. "
No organizations? No enemies?  Just because it didn't have any labeled characters doesn't mean it doesn't have stuff it can use.
#19 Edited by Wick (47 posts) -

I have no real problem with the game itself, it looks like Bioshock, which is a game I enjoyed. I have a problem with digging up an old license and then making a game that doesn't resemble it at all. Everything that had to do with the "story" of the original XCom was generic. Nobody played XCom for the originality of the setting or story. The organization was some generic Earth Defense Force that started with a bare bones base and a couple of random dudes.

What made XCom was that you made your own story in the way you attacked the aliens. There was no linear plot that you had to follow. You got to recruit and research and attack the aliens in how you see fit.

#20 Edited by gike987 (1747 posts) -
@napalmtrees said:

" @Wick said:

" @napalmtrees said:

XCom had no story, no protagonist, and no names. It was a tactical game that was set up as aliens are invading the earth you have to stop them. "
No organizations? No enemies?  Just because it didn't have any labeled characters doesn't mean it doesn't have stuff it can use. "
The events in original game takes place in 1999. This takes place in the sixties, it has absolutely nothing to do with original game.

The organization is called  Extraterrestrial Combat Unit, X-COM for short. The protagonist in this game are some random CIA/FBI agents
#21 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4580 posts) -

Not to be picky about it, but gobs of black goo don't seem like the kind of thing that get hurt by shotguns. Whatever, it's their game.

#22 Edited by napalmtrees (79 posts) -

Also, wasn't there an action-based X-COM game before?

edit: yep 

#23 Posted by DanRees (7 posts) -

Looks like The Sims  mixed with bioshock

#24 Posted by dudeglove (7684 posts) -

Wait, what? Wasn't X-Com a futuristic, deep space, isometric turn-based strategy about 15 years ago?

#25 Posted by SoundShower (9 posts) -

I'm not familiar with the X-Com series but this looks awesome!

#26 Posted by ZeroCast (1869 posts) -
@MarkWahlberg said:
" Not to be picky about it, but gobs of black goo don't seem like the kind of thing that get hurt by shotguns. Whatever, it's their game. "
But looks like it gets hurt by fire...
#27 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -

When women do household chores of their own accord, you know there's something wrong!
#28 Posted by Gutlieb (87 posts) -

Wow this game looks god awful. Black jelly? Come on...

#29 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Bioshock meets the goo from PoP 2008?

#30 Posted by fillmoejoe (1469 posts) -

So you fight the BP oil spill?

#31 Posted by Xander (136 posts) -

Getting Bioshock vibes.  That's a good thing in this case.  Cool setting.

#32 Posted by bitcloud (646 posts) -
@fillmoejoe: It's the ultimate foe.
#33 Posted by eldiax (632 posts) -

I sure hope there's gonna be a bigger variety of enemies than in this video.

#34 Posted by Zelnox (381 posts) -

That’s no moon.

#35 Posted by Spiritof (2017 posts) -

I think this is obviously a cautionary tale about what's going to happen to us if we don't plug the BP Oil Spill.

#36 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11418 posts) -
@dudeglove said:
" Wait, what? Wasn't X-Com a futuristic, deep space, isometric turn-based strategy about 15 years ago? "
Yes. And this game is not that. At all. The aliens weren't blobs of goo either.
#37 Posted by SonicBoyster (346 posts) -

Hey, another 50s/futuristic themed non-traditional shooter.

#38 Posted by MrAriscottle (258 posts) -

It looks like a cool game, but I feel they should have named it something other than XCOM as it seems to have nothing in common with those games. Well... apart from the aliens.

#39 Posted by MichaelBach (874 posts) -
@eldiax:  Just what I was thinking. Killing oil spills the entire game would be booring.
#40 Posted by 500xp (68 posts) -

Looks interesting enough. 

#41 Posted by the_purgatory_station (400 posts) -

@wick & others w/ this point
Duder you are so right now that you mention it.  almost seem like how movies adapt books.  base a little bit from source material, slap on title.
ryan made a point about Bionic Commando doesn't resonate w/ this generation.  i wonder if it's too late from them to change the title.

i'm really looking forward to the game.  50s setting.  it looks really interesting.  but maybe they should've gone w/ another title.

#42 Posted by TheBlackPigeon (314 posts) -

Awesome. Another resurrected license that old school fans will bitch and moan about for not being 100% true to the source material. Cripes, I'm just getting over the migrane I got from all the Fallout die hards. : / 

Anyway, it does look kind of interesting.
#43 Edited by gike987 (1747 posts) -
@TheBlackPigeon: 
Fallout 3 had the same setting and was set in the same universe and both of them was RPGs (even if  Fallout 3 wasn't turn based and isometric).
The original X-COM was a turn based strategy game, this is an FPS. The original X-Com was set in the near future and had an high tech organization protecting earth from aliens.
This game is set in the 50s and have a standard secret agent trying to fend of the aliens.
The aliens in this game are blobs of goo, in the original the aliens were humanoid.
#44 Posted by drakattack (151 posts) -

Looks interesting until I realized the villains were black oil. It absolutely amazes me how someone in production wasn't like this is ridiculous, lets model actual aliens. Once again, another stupid design decision that ruins what could have been a great game. 

X-COM: Oil Spill Cleanup    
coming soon to a console near you :(

#45 Posted by Krystal_Sackful (808 posts) -
@drakattack: 
"One minor complaint ruins whole game I have not played yet."
#46 Posted by wrecks (2197 posts) -

It's the year of evil Black substances in many forms.

#47 Posted by drakattack (151 posts) -
@Krystal_Sackful: 
I won't be buying this game just because someone decided black oil enemies was a good idea when it is so BLATANTLY not a good idea. Makes you wonder what else they fucked up on. I for one am not spending 60$ to find out.
#48 Posted by Daveyo520 (6651 posts) -

Wow this looks awesome. I must play it.

#49 Posted by k4el (120 posts) -

No base building, no mention of squads, no mention of any sort of management game. I'm sorry but this is a reskinned bioshock game NOT xcom. Way to do what everyone else has with X-com games 2k... way to go. There's no reason to use the xcom name for this game at all!  

It was so great to see a talented studio pick up the Xcom license, i was really hoping to finally see a new entry in the series that was worthy of the original game. 

#50 Posted by CaptainFish (454 posts) -

Not really X-Com, but it does look like a decent game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.