Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 08, 2013

A third-person, squad-based, tactical game that recounts humanity's first contact with aliens during the Cold War in the 1960s, and the subsequent founding of the XCOM organization.

The game formerly known as just "XCOM"

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GaspoweR

Polygon's Chris Plante recently published an incredible and extensive article on The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. It goes into detail about its history from when the franchise was acquired in 2006, the changes it has gone through, the teams that became involved, the troubles that were encountered to establish the game's identity, and how it ultimately became the game as we know it now through the accounts of various anonymous sources.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/8/19/4614410/xcom-the-bureau-development-2006-2013

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have a few issues with Polygon but they really can knock a feature out of the park.

KittyVonDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An incredible story. Always sucks when talented people get corporately fucked :(

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TruthTellah

This reminds me of @patrickklepek's idea for doing more coverage of why bad games end up bad. Very interesting to read.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's a shame for both studios as 2K Marin obviously wanted to work on new IP while 2K Australia wanted to become a top tier development studio instead of being known as the guys who help out on other people's projects. I gotta say, I'm still much more interested in the first iteration of the game they showed back when they first announced it, though as stated in the article, the photography/stealth gameplay just didn't work out.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually thought the first version of this game looked really interesting...

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@probablytuna: I think that's the problem with 2K as a whole. On a Non Rockstar Year they don't make the profits they want and will try so hard to make a killer IP. They spent so much money on Spec ops and Mafia 2 and they didn't really sell well and i think that's what we are seeing from XCOM now.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool. Thanks for the link dude.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.