XCOM Debut E3 Trailer

#1 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

I'm not familiar with the series, but this is giving me some Fallout 3/Bioshock vibes.  Looks, weird and unsettling.  I look forward to seeing more of it.
#2 Posted by FirePrince (1763 posts) -

Saw it,looks pretty cool,kinda like BioShock. 
But the aliens are patethic.

#3 Posted by gike987 (1750 posts) -

This shouldn't be called XCOM.

#4 Posted by xyzygy (9893 posts) -

This looks so good. Man I love E3. Can't wait for this game. Is it coming out for the PS3?

#5 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

This was already posted... 
On another site! HAH!  
But yeah, I saw this a couple of days ago(4-5 days, so not that long ago). It looks pretty neat but so far that's all I can say

#6 Edited by Snipzor (3317 posts) -

I can't wait? Actually I can't, I would love a good XCOM game.

#7 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@xyzygy said:

" This looks so good. Man I love E3. Can't wait for this game. Is it coming out for the PS3? "

Yeah, I believe it's for PC/360/PS3.

Edit: Wait, never mind.  I'm pretty sure this is just PC/360.

@ZeForgotten

said:

" This was already posted... On another site! HAH! "

Won't lie, you scared me for a moment, there.  :P
#8 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

Kinda sexy. I'm assuming most of this video was from the earlier parts of the game. I mean, you can't be hanging around in this little suburb forever, can you? Or maybe you can. And yeah, if I had to sum it up, it looks like Fallout 3/Bioshock.

#9 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@FunExplosions said:

" Kinda sexy. I'm assuming most of this video was from the earlier parts of the game. I mean, you can't be hanging around in this little suburb forever, can you? Or maybe you can. And yeah, if I had to sum it up, it looks like Fallout 3/Bioshock. "

I sure hope so.  Maybe 2K will go unconventional like they did with Bioshock's environment and this'll be where the game primarily takes place.  This kind of setting is intriguing; one of the most interesting parts, for me, in Fallout 3 was the virtual suburb in that one vault.
#10 Posted by august (3827 posts) -

Art direction is totally nuts. Like an Omni cover come to life. 

The gameplay, not so much.

#11 Posted by august (3827 posts) -

The style is retro, but it's much cleaner that Fallout 3 or Bioshock.

#12 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -

This looks kind of interesting. I like that I'm gettin a Half Life 2/ Bioshock/ INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS vibe from it, and that it's set in civillian neighbourhoods and it's in like the 50s or something? It all seems really unique and interesting, but the actual gameplay parts just look like Bioshock without plasmids- and what's good about that?

I know next to nothing about X-COM except that there's one where you recruit guys and can swap their limbs around or something. In one of them you fly a spaceship, I dunno. I'm guessin this is a prequel.

#13 Edited by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

Having never played an XCOM game before, I am intrigued with this one. I like the art style, too. Kind of Team Fortress 2-like. Color me interested.

#14 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: Yeah hopefully. And it would be awesome if they pulled some kind of Twilight Zone stuff with the suburbs. In one episode, no one in the suburb ever ventured beyond the borders of the town, and when they tried to they just reappeared at the other end. There was also an episode in the suburbs, where aliens were simply toying and instigating the suburbanites from a distance, only to watch their reactions as they eventually turn on eachother. I donno why I'm bringing all that up, I guess I just like the interesting things that can be done with the setting. You know... or it can just be a suburb with blob aliens and a monolith.
#15 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11476 posts) -

As someone who recently started playing actual X-COM, this is not that. At all. Probably will be a good game because of who is behind it, but the name is not much more than a marketing ploy.

#16 Posted by Godzilla_Sushi (1084 posts) -

Man I don't know. Shooting black blobs taking over lifeforms is a flashback from video games past that I don't feel like I want to take. I'm all for retro games making comebacks, but I hope big budget risky titles don't hurt them. Just a trailer....hope we see more write-ups.

#17 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -
@gike987 said:
" This shouldn't be called XCOM. "
100% agree. 

With that said, I liked the trailer and what it had to show off.  I'm even more interested given how much I loved Bioshock 2, which gives me confidence that 2K Marin can make this a stellar game.
#18 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2413 posts) -

suburban bioshock anyone?

#19 Posted by xyzygy (9893 posts) -

What were the original XCOM games like? What type of gameplay did they have?

#20 Edited by kitsune_conundrum (1202 posts) -

Nope, this is not xcom. 

Heres a Let's Play of the first Xcom for reference.
#21 Posted by Alex_Murphy (1184 posts) -

The second one was kind of wack I heard, but I had the first X-Com for the PS1 and it was pretty sweet once I learned to have my grenade and launcher guys stand in the smoke from a smoke grenade while I sent spotters out to identify targets.

#22 Posted by Hailinel (23901 posts) -

Couldn't we just have a real X-Com game?

#23 Posted by John1912 (1830 posts) -

Yea, that looks like shit.  I know they cant really go back to a top down turn based game like the old ones, but that didnt even look like they tried to capture what Xcom was.

#24 Posted by Tactical_Kill (1695 posts) -
@gike987 said:
"This shouldn't be called XCOM."

Totally agree with you there. 
While it looks like it could be fun, this is not the XCOM I want. They could have just called it something else.
#25 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

Didn't everyone make the same complaint with Fallout 3 not being like the original Fallout games?  I can see people getting used to it later on.

#26 Posted by kitsune_conundrum (1202 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: This is a far bigger deviation than even the fallout 1&2 to 3. Different aliens, different settings, different gameplay...etc If they really wanted to use the XCOM name, they should at least make it a spin-off like enforcer or interceptor rather than the main line. Also with what we know so far, it really messes with XCOM canon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.