XCOM Reboot Suddenly Has a Release Date, New Trailer

• 88 results
Posted by Alex (1968 posts) -

I think the last time any of us heard anything really significant about 2K Marin's upcoming first-person reboot of the classic X-COM strategy series, it was last year's E3. Flashes of continued existence have popped up here and there, but with the original, tentative release date and this year's E3 fast approaching, the radio silence from 2K was, ironically, a bit disquieting.

Get ready for some serious singularitying... or... um... yeah, I got nothing.

Fans need wring their hands no longer, as 2K chose to break the silence today with both a new trailer (which you'll find embedded at the bottom of this story), and a solid release date for the title: March 6th, 2012.

The trailer shows off a good bit of the game's style of action, which, as Kotaku'sStephen Totillo interestingly pointed out, 2K went to great pains to avoid referring to directly as "first-person shooting." I mean, the trailer certainly looks chock-full of first-person view points, and scenes where you are at least ostensibly shooting things, but there's something about the way the characters on your team and the enemy soldiers move, the way they're animated, that feels very... dare I say it? Okay, here goes nothing. It feels very strategy game. I'm just sayin'! It looks that way! Don't hold me to anything! I'll deny I ever said it!

I'm not sure if old school X-COM fans will ever be completely happy with something that isn't pure, unfiltered X-COM, but if the trailer below can't get you even a little excited about the prospect of what 2K Marin is up to here, well then, I just don't know what to tell you.

== TEASER ==
Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (1968 posts) -

I think the last time any of us heard anything really significant about 2K Marin's upcoming first-person reboot of the classic X-COM strategy series, it was last year's E3. Flashes of continued existence have popped up here and there, but with the original, tentative release date and this year's E3 fast approaching, the radio silence from 2K was, ironically, a bit disquieting.

Get ready for some serious singularitying... or... um... yeah, I got nothing.

Fans need wring their hands no longer, as 2K chose to break the silence today with both a new trailer (which you'll find embedded at the bottom of this story), and a solid release date for the title: March 6th, 2012.

The trailer shows off a good bit of the game's style of action, which, as Kotaku'sStephen Totillo interestingly pointed out, 2K went to great pains to avoid referring to directly as "first-person shooting." I mean, the trailer certainly looks chock-full of first-person view points, and scenes where you are at least ostensibly shooting things, but there's something about the way the characters on your team and the enemy soldiers move, the way they're animated, that feels very... dare I say it? Okay, here goes nothing. It feels very strategy game. I'm just sayin'! It looks that way! Don't hold me to anything! I'll deny I ever said it!

I'm not sure if old school X-COM fans will ever be completely happy with something that isn't pure, unfiltered X-COM, but if the trailer below can't get you even a little excited about the prospect of what 2K Marin is up to here, well then, I just don't know what to tell you.

== TEASER ==
Staff
#2 Edited by shinigami420 (640 posts) -

Another fps....... 

Old x com was fucking amazing this looks like anyother fps game  

#3 Posted by Beatle (5 posts) -

Cool

#4 Edited by AlexanderSheen (4928 posts) -
@shinigami420 said:

Another fps.......

Yeah, it's like another CoD, right? -.-
#5 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

At the very least, the shifting geometric enemy designs look cool.

#6 Posted by HubrisRanger (476 posts) -

This is one of the games I'm most fascinated to hear about out of E3. A lot of question marks surrounding this one, and it will be interesting to see just how much depth, strategy and role-playing it actually has, or if its all just window dressing.

#7 Edited by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

Yeah.. I can give benefit of the doubt for the FPS-choice, but judging by the trailer: Guess there won't be much strategy and tactical play in this one... Sod it. 

#8 Posted by eznark (92 posts) -

I didn't think they could do, I am truly impressed.  2K found a way to make XCOM look worse. Well done...I guess?

#9 Posted by cooljammer00 (1528 posts) -

Is this the first time we're hearing about a PS3 release?  It seemed like it was just 360/PC for a while there.

#10 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

the problem with ideas like this is that frequently designers try to dilute genre's to please everyone, but instead of pleasing everyone, they please nobody.

Old XCom strategy fans aren't pleased by the departure from the original content, and COD fans aren't pleased by teh fact that they can't solve every problem by shooting at it.

It's kind of like when platform developers try to break up the action with puzzles, but don't want to make them too hard because it's a twitch game so they give you the solutions outright. Puzzle fans aren't satisfied because the joy of solving the puzzle is taken away and twitch fans arne't happy because they just want to get back to the action.

#11 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

fuck. that. shit.

#12 Posted by PenguinDust (12450 posts) -

I watched it and I see a spiffy but familiar looking FPS.  I don't know what Alex is talking about when he says the way other characters move seems strategy-gamish.

#13 Posted by DeF (4798 posts) -

I don't know why but visually, this looks extremely 2006-ish.

The initial reveal trailer/demo/walkthrough looked way more interesting than this new trailer, by the way.

#14 Posted by endaround (2138 posts) -

Alex I think you're confusing crappy animation with strategy. 

Really this looks bad for a 2012 game.

#15 Posted by Krystal_Sackful (808 posts) -

I don't understand why Terror from the deep has been the only game to copy the style and the gameplay of the original. I want X-com 1 with more vivid and varied battle maps along with Terror missions with distinctively different cities.
Not this.

#16 Posted by EuanDewar (4745 posts) -

Regardless of the game looking a tad over familiar that re-shaping geometric alien thingy still looks awesome.

#17 Posted by Shadowjester (93 posts) -

oh good grief! It's still alive? (I mean this in a good way)   I had never gotten into Xcom before and this looked pretty interesting. I was disappointed when it looked like it may have gotten canned. So I am cautiously optimistic about this. 

#18 Posted by warmonked (349 posts) -

Not even a sectoid. LAME!

#19 Posted by pewpewlazer (56 posts) -

If old XCom was amazing just go back and play that again and ignore this game? I don't see how crying about this does anything. It's not like they're gong to go burn all the copies of old XCom and rape your childhood memories.

#20 Posted by brassmarsh (49 posts) -

In 2012 those graphics will look even shitter (somehow)

#21 Posted by StingingVelvet (569 posts) -

That looks pretty good to me.  I like the vibrant colors and smooth lines.

#22 Posted by Nadafinga (957 posts) -

Wow, the graphics look last-gen. They obviously have time to improve them by next March, but I'm not impressed by this trailer at all.

#23 Posted by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -

That's weird. I could have sworn that looked like a FPS.But why would they take a franchise that has a huge rabid fanbase and take a shit all over that love and turn it into something completely different then what people loved from the first games? I'm sure it was just some slick cutting of video to make it look that way. They would never change the entire gameplay of a loved franchise just to make it appeal to a bunch of kids that have no interest in it right?  

Oh wait...

#24 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
@shinigami420 said:
Another fps.......   Old x com was fucking amazing this looks like anyother fps game    
Yeah, they even have Kill Streaks. This is an outrage!
#25 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

I was a fan of how Fallout 3 was taken from its RPG roots to an FPS, so if the X-COM reboot is similarly well handled I'd like to play it.

#26 Posted by WillyLo (302 posts) -

I like the cartoon look it has, I guess like borderlands I should say? I think it gives them a bit more open range in animation, I really like the new look of the Darkness 2, which is similar to this as well.

#27 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (937 posts) -
@pewpewlazer said:
  It's not like they're gong to go burn all the copies of old XCom and rape your childhood memories. 
They would do that if it would increase quarterly profits.
#28 Posted by StingerMK2 (386 posts) -

im kinda hoping they showed the FPS action bits for this trailer, just to get interest from the 99% of gamers who aren't interested in the strategy elements, from what they were saying when this game was first announced it sounded super interesting so i hope those elements are still there

#29 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I know it's pre-release, but there were a lot of frame-rate dips in that trailer. PC version a go-go baby.

#30 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -
@skrutop said:
I was a fan of how Fallout 3 was taken from its RPG roots to an FPS, so if the X-COM reboot is similarly well handled I'd like to play it.
Fallout was still an RPG though, it just had a different perspective. 
I don't see how this is in any way related to X-COM.
#31 Posted by Tesla (1905 posts) -

It seems as though a lot of people in the comments don't know anything about this reboot. 

There will still be research...which is even alluded to in this trailer.  You will use radio and radar to track aliens and conduct field investigations.  Basically, they understand the roots of the franchise and are trying to incorporate some of the things that made the original what it was. 

So calm down, educate yourself, and realize this game is close to a year away.

#32 Edited by Cubical (637 posts) -

Let the suckage of making the PC Classic Xcom series into a console noob First person shooter begin.    

I won't be going  with in 50 feet of this game though and I would only poke it suckage witha stick from a distance.
#33 Edited by gike987 (1747 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:

@skrutop said:

Fallout was still an RPG though, it just had a different perspective. I don't see how this is in any way related to X-COM.
Fallout 3 art style and story was atleast related to the first games. This story has nothing to do with the other X-COM games and the art style is completely different.
#34 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

Good job Bombcast for calling this one!

#35 Posted by EtherealSlayer (82 posts) -

Screw 2k

#36 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -
@gike987, @WinterSnowblind:Ah, didn't realize.  I'll still try to take this game on its own merits, even if it's misusing the X-COM moniker.  That being said, I hope it doesn't do damage to the X-COM IP.
#37 Posted by cannedstingray (387 posts) -

I don't get all the comments about shitty graphics, they look fine to me.  The art style is by design less detailed, more like the sally forth type comic style which is fine with me, the effects look good, and hopefully the framerate will be good by the time it's released. 

I just hope it's not just a shooter,  and I hope they didn't ditch the ink monster from the last years trailers.  I love watching the lady being overcome by the ink blob, the way it went through her face basically looked terrifying, it was awesome. I hope that stuff is still in the game.

#38 Posted by august (3826 posts) -
@gike987 said:
@WinterSnowblind said:

@skrutop said:

Fallout was still an RPG though, it just had a different perspective. I don't see how this is in any way related to X-COM.
Fallout 3 art style and story was atleast related to the first games. This story has nothing to do with the other X-COM games and the art style is completely different.
The story and art style of the originals was garbage.
#39 Posted by RE_Player1 (7549 posts) -
Cool it's coming to PS3 as well.
#40 Posted by Brendan (7685 posts) -
@charlie_victor_bravo said:
@pewpewlazer said:
  It's not like they're gong to go burn all the copies of old XCom and rape your childhood memories. 
They would do that if it would increase quarterly profits.
But they are not, hence the comment.  So who cares.
#41 Posted by PKHilson (205 posts) -

COM THAT X, COM IT GOOD!

#42 Posted by bybeach (4722 posts) -
@StingerMK2 said:
im kinda hoping they showed the FPS action bits for this trailer, just to get interest from the 99% of gamers who aren't interested in the strategy elements, from what they were saying when this game was first announced it sounded super interesting so i hope those elements are still there

I'm one of those fools, and would be greatly conducive  to strategy gaming if hybrid ed with a shooter.
RTS, another nemesis, I'm trying to get back to in SC2
#43 Posted by Landru (46 posts) -

Looks more like a sequel to Area 51 for PS2 than to Xcom. Area 51 had a fake moon landing level, hard to beat that!

#44 Posted by Seraphim84 (405 posts) -

No way do they make an X-Com game and not have a bunch of strategy ideas in there.  I'd bet all my BradBucks that this isn't just some FPS with you-go-there pointing.

#45 Edited by Erlog (34 posts) -

It's gonna be great when more information is released about this game, and then you guys all look sheepish that you were able to so completely wrong for so long. You guys should keep in mind that these trailers are rarely if ever put together by developers, and so this all comes down to PR people spinning this game to look like something it probably isn't. But go ahead, let's please continue judging this game based on 2 pre-release trailers that don't look a whole lot like what developers have said this game is from the beginning. 

You guys all remember that time Brutal Legend was a "Character Action Game" based on trailers and PR spin? Trailers...they never lie man.

#46 Posted by walterbennet (152 posts) -

Why even call this XCOM?

#47 Posted by Thoseposers (779 posts) -

I think the art style looks awesome, especially that transforming human/alien at the end and i love the simple block alien craft...thing. I never played the original and it looked to me like there was some kind of squad commands ala Freedom Fighters. I may pick this up

#48 Posted by onarum (2011 posts) -

I would be ok with the FPS in it if they kept everything else from the old games, like if you still managed several bases, sent interceptors and landing crews, and the FPS parts would be the combat sequences (because truly I always thought the old ones turn based combat was a major pain in the ass sometimes).

#49 Posted by delogo (36 posts) -

Here's hoping this is not just a modern equivalent for X-Com Enforcer.

#50 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

Looks like an FPS with some tactical and RPG elements. 
I personally am looking forward to it, though I can see why people who loved the old games might not...  I guess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.