Anybody play this?

#1 Edited by ShaggE (6295 posts) -

I'm about halfway(?) through the game, and I'm astounded at how little buzz it has gotten outside of adventure game circles. The best way I can describe it is "The Crow plus Catwoman plus Chronic Depression plus David Lynch". It's ridiculously engrossing, despite some instances of cheesy dialogue and "I clearly got my friends to record their lines over Skype, and I will make no attempt to hide this". The only things I don't much care for are the control scheme and the jittery animation.

If you liked Walking Dead, but wanted more actual puzzles, play this game. It's not as emotionally devastating (so far), but beyond the crazy violence, it's a surprisingly sincere look at depression and suicide. It feels like you get to impact the story to some extent also, but I can't tell for sure yet.

Edit: I feel like I should this, as it's directly up his alley.

#2 Posted by madnesshero88 (42 posts) -

It's been released?? I loved downfall, and have tried to keep a loose eye on the cat lady, but gave up after whats felt like years. Thank you so much for bringing this up otherwise i might not have checked on it again.

#3 Posted by ShaggE (6295 posts) -

@madnesshero88: Yeah, I remembered seeing it on a "notable horror games of 2012" list, and the title intrigued me, so I bought it on a whim yesterday. Didn't know it had such a history, haha. Glad I could help.

#4 Posted by madnesshero88 (42 posts) -

Id assumed it had been canceled or just plain abandoned after the years its been in development. Very happy to see thats not the case. BTW I highly recommend downfall, which is by the same guy, its just about the most grisly 2d game ive ever played, and is genuinely disturbing in parts.

#5 Posted by ShaggE (6295 posts) -

@madnesshero88: Yeah, I have that queued up to play next (there's a blatantly placed poster for it in Cat Lady, and I immediately jumped at the chance to play something else from these guys :P).

#6 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3481 posts) -

I enjoyed my time with the game immensely. Having said that, the pacing in the game is horrid; it's a damn slow game. I mean that literally as well: the walking animation is intolerably tardy-gaited. The serial killers and their respective chapters also take a precipitous decline in quality after the first encounter. But, I'm fond of the treatment of the main protagonist's depression and anxieties, which is no doubt bolstered by her exemplary voice-acting (a big deal for adventure games). The game's use of chiaroscuro (contrasts between light and dark) is noteworthy and easily ranks as one of the better-looking adventures games of--my undoubtedly fallible--recent memory. The game also has a fantastically gruesome opening and a rad, late title-card.

Man, the game sure as hell deserves more conspicuous recognition.

@ShaggE: If it wouldn't distract you too much during the game, you should take some screenshots during play. I, unfortunately, was extremely negligent during my play-through in doing so.

#7 Posted by ShaggE (6295 posts) -

Just finished it, and this has got to be my 2012 game of 2013. ... Or 2013 game of 2012. ... Or something. It's amazing, is my point.

@mylifeforAiur said:

I enjoyed my time with the game immensely. Having said that, the pacing in the game is horrid; it's a damn slow game. I mean that literally as well: the walking animation is intolerably tardy-gaited. The serial killers and their respective chapters also take a precipitous decline in quality after the first encounter. But, I'm fond of the treatment of the main protagonist's depression and anxieties, which is no doubt bolstered by her exemplary voice-acting (a big deal for adventure games). The game's use of chiaroscuro (contrasts between light and dark) is noteworthy and easily ranks as one of the better-looking adventures games of--my undoubtedly fallible--recent memory. The game also has a fantastically gruesome opening and a rad, late title-card.

Man, the game sure as hell deserves more conspicuous recognition.

@ShaggE: If it wouldn't distract you too much during the game, you should take some screenshots during play. I, unfortunately, was extremely negligent during my play-through in doing so.

I liked the slowness of the story, but I agree about the movement: It was downright silly at times, waltzing along in dire or disturbing situations like it's a Sunday in the park. Agreed about the killers as well (and a loose end that left me very, very confused). I even teared up at the ending, which puts it in the same league as TWD for "The Only Two Games In Existence That Made Me Cry".

I really hope GB picks up on this game and gives it due recognition. It'll certainly be stuck in my mind for a long time.

Sadly, I didn't take any screenshots, but I might go back and do so at some point. I rarely saved, though (couldn't tear myself away), so it might be awhile.

Final thought: Without spoiling anything... "MIIIIII SEEEEE RRRREEEEYYYY!". Fuck, my blood ran cold.

#8 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3481 posts) -

@ShaggE: Oh, the whole digression that takes place in that apartment is spectacular.

The writhing, tarry humanoid-thing in the bathroom completely caught me off-guard. And does the loose end pertain to the chapter epilogue with the guy torturing his wife(?)? This puzzled me initially, but after some perfunctory sleuthing it appears that it is a reference to Downfall. I myself am a little confused about the sequence at the docks and as to the identity or purpose of penultimate serial killer (Hammer Dude). Why did he show up? Was he the stalker-dude who harassed her before? He must be, right? So why is he mute? I think that the game may have eluded me a little.
#9 Posted by ShaggE (6295 posts) -

@mylifeforAiur:

Yup, that's the one. Glad it wasn't just a plot hole, as it left me completely baffled. I was fully expecting him to be Adam, and I was kind of disappointed that he wasn't... his whole sequence was wonderfully unsettling.

As for Hammer Dude, I took it as fate. Each "parasite" event was just implausibly convenient enough to make me think Death/Depression/Maggot Queen/Jimmy Ray was orchestrating all of the meetings. Just my interpretation, though. And weren't the docks just the "dead world" messing with her?

Another scene that threw me was the Cat Widow story. I thought it was just a cool little re-enactment that used the neighbor as a stand-in (especially considering the "zombie cat" bit... which was hilarious), then suddenly it's revealed that the visualization is you pulling the prank? It took me a minute to wrap my head around what had happened there.

#10 Posted by madnesshero88 (42 posts) -

So about how long is it? My one problem with downfall was i finished it in an afternoon. Granted i didn't pay much for it, but was hoping for a bit longer experience. Ive already bought it and im not one of those that thinks length=quality, but im still a little curious...

#11 Edited by ShaggE (6295 posts) -

@madnesshero88: I think I got a good eight or nine hours out of it. Bear in mind that I found myself stuck a couple of times (it's not a hard game, I'm just rusty with adventure puzzles), but considering how much of the game is dialog, I think you'll get six at a minimum.

#12 Posted by madnesshero88 (42 posts) -

Thats interesting, it has Joe Davis (the main character from Downfall) in it. And not just a cameo either. Very interested to see where this goes.

#13 Edited by emem (1960 posts) -

I finished it a couple of days ago and I absolutely loved it. It's definitely one of (if not) the most mature game(s) I have ever played and I would really like to see them making a game with a bigger budget. The writing is amazing, the characters are great, the atmosphere is fantastic... everything is really really good except for the clunky controls. Having said that... so far it's my game of the year.

Edit: If you are emotionally unstable (or a child) you should probably stay away from this game, it gets pretty dark.

#14 Edited by Zaccheus (1784 posts) -

This game is insanely good... When it comes to story this is right up there with To the Moon. If you think video game stories suck: play The Cat Lady! I wish more games could have such mature themes handled as well. I finished this about a week ago and I still think about it everyday.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.