Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Apr 07, 2009

Both a remake and expansion to the critically-acclaimed Xbox and PC title The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, Dark Athena features both the original campaign, an all-new campaign and new multiplayer modes.

Excellent Video Interview With Vin Diesel

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187

Again, another interview shows up over on Gametrailers.com that shows how badass Vin Diesel is and how dedicated he is to making good games.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By BiggerBomb

Woah, woah, woah! Look at the sag under his chin! Wow, Vin's getting old! But, hey, I guess it's a testament to how badass he truly is, that he still looks like he could kill with a teacup, even at that age.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Snail
    THIS is why Vin Diesel is more than Chuck Norris.
    There I said it.
    Before Chuck Norris there was Vin Diesel you know?!
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Snail said:
    "THIS is why Vin Diesel is more than Chuck Norris.
    There I said it.
    Before Chuck Norris there was Vin Diesel you know?!"

Snail, I was thinking THE SAME EXACT THING! Alas, I didn't have the balls to say it...
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    Snail said:
    "THIS is why Vin Diesel is more than Chuck Norris.There I said it.Before Chuck Norris there was Vin Diesel you know?!"
    i have no damn clue what you talking about !

however i would like to see them fight
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Hamz

He should just continue making Riddick and Fast and the Furious movies. And focus the rest of his time on video games, more Vin Diesel = win.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    Hamz said:
    "He should just continue making Riddick and Fast and the Furious movies. And focus the rest of his time on video games, more Vin Diesel = win."
    yeah man i played the wheel man demo 

and holy hell that game is crazy 
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jakob187
    ZombieHunter said:
    "Snail said:
    "THIS is why Vin Diesel is more than Chuck Norris.There I said it.Before Chuck Norris there was Vin Diesel you know?!"
    i have no damn clue what you talking about !
    however i would like to see them fight"
    The whole "Chuck Norris Facts" thing was originally "Vin Diesel Facts".  Eventually, people decided to mainstream Chuck Norris for it instead.

Yes, Vin Diesel IS more than Chuck Norris.  Chuck Norris has never starred in a movie alongside the sex-a-rrific Alexa Davalos.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jakob187
    ZombieHunter said:
    "Hamz said:
    "He should just continue making Riddick and Fast and the Furious movies. And focus the rest of his time on video games, more Vin Diesel = win."
    yeah man i played the wheel man demo 
    and holy hell that game is crazy "
    I keep meaning to download that demo, but continue to neglect it.  Why am I being so stupid?  Everything I've seen about that game makes me mark out like a motherfucker!!!
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BiggerBomb
    jakob187 said:
    "The whole "Chuck Norris Facts" thing was originally "Vin Diesel Facts".  Eventually, people decided to mainstream Chuck Norris for it instead. "

Really? I didn't know that.
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

jakob get on downloading that game it is so awesome but in a stupid way its weird 

my only real problem with it is the shooting, but who needs that when you can melee with your car....
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jakob187
    BiggerBomb said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "The whole "Chuck Norris Facts" thing was originally "Vin Diesel Facts".  Eventually, people decided to mainstream Chuck Norris for it instead. "
    Really? I didn't know that."
    Yep.  You want an interesting REAL fact about Vin Diesel?

In the movie XXX, the tattoo across his stomach, "Melkor", is actually his D&D character's name.

THAT is what makes Vin Diesel fucking amazing!!!
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BiggerBomb
    jakob187 said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "jakob187 said:
    Yep.  You want an interesting REAL fact about Vin Diesel?

In the movie XXX, the tattoo across his stomach, "Melkor", is actually his D&D character's name.

THAT is what makes Vin Diesel fucking amazing!!!
    "

Sorry, Brad! My mancrush has changed.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jakob187
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Sorry, Brad! My mancrush has changed."
    Dood, Brad's gotta be having a shitty day at the office.  You lose your mancrush on him, I lose my mancrush on him...I mean, what's next?!

Anyways, back on topic...sorry it got derailed a bit...

The interview shows that he's just a regular ass dood like everyone else that happens to be rich, famous, and built like a motherfucker.  Listening to him talk about games is about the second most pleasing thing in gaming interviews aside from listening to Peter Molyneux...

...except Vin Diesel delivers on his promises!!!  OOOoooOOOhhhHHHhhh!!!  SICK BURN!!!
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Milkman

As some as said, Wheelman is definitely just fucking nuts. But once the whole "ZOMG THIS IS FUCKING STUPID/AWESOME" feelings wears off then you realize that the game kinda blows.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BiggerBomb
    jakob187 said:
    "

...except Vin Diesel delivers on his promises!!!  OOOoooOOOhhhHHHhhh!!!  SICK BURN!!!
    "

Except it's funny 'cus it's true...
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    Milkman said:
    "As some as said, Wheelman is definitely just fucking nuts. But once the whole "ZOMG THIS IS FUCKING STUPID/AWESOME" feelings wears off then you realize that the game kinda blows."
    i dont wanna make death threats or any thing but

YOUR DEAD!

;p 
    papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By papercut

Completely off topic, but the video for me froze and the still of Vin reminds me of Andrew Dice Clay

thought everyone should know that.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BiggerBomb
    papercut said:
    "Completely off topic, but the video for me froze and the still of Vin reminds me of Andrew Dice Claythought everyone should know that."

You dare compare Vin Diesel to a mere mortal (who I have never heard of?)?!?!?! YOU SHALL PERISH!
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    BiggerBomb said:
    "papercut said:
    "Completely off topic, but the video for me froze and the still of Vin reminds me of Andrew Dice Claythought everyone should know that."
    You dare compare Vin Diesel to a mere mortal (who I have never heard of?)?!?!?! YOU SHALL PERISH!"
    Vin diesel is mind control us Bigger bomb .... Telling us to kill for him ! 
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jakob187
    BiggerBomb said:
    "papercut said:
    You dare compare Vin Diesel to a mere mortal (who I have never heard of?)?!?!?! YOU SHALL PERISH!"
    The Dice is no mere mortal, sir.
    tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tekmojo

Vin Diesel for President?

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BiggerBomb
    jakob187 said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "papercut said:
    "

Of who is this man, you speaketh?
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jakob187
    BiggerBomb said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "papercut said:
    "
    Of who is this man, you speaketh?"
    The same dood who said "Little Miss Muffet sat on a tuffet, and then she sucked my fucking dick."

Now, BACK ON TOPIC, BIGGERBOMB!!!  LUCHACAKE DEMANDS IT!!!
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BiggerBomb
    jakob187 said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "papercut said:
    "
    Of who is this man, you speaketh?"
    The same dood who said "Little Miss Muffet sat on a tuffet, and then she sucked my fucking dick."
    "

Dude. That's pretty badass. Even though his name is pretty flimsy.
    papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By papercut
    jakob187 said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "papercut said:
    "
    Here here.

Back on topic,
    I think Vin Diesel is in the wrong line of work. The amount of good movies he has been in can be counted on one hand, a hand that held on to firecracker a little too long even. With Movies like Riddick, it seems like he just has to much content to fit in to a 2 hour film, and it ends up being too confusing and ridiculously over the top. In videogames, where single player can be 8-10 hours, and over the top action being welcomed with open arms, it would seem he'd be more at home.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BiggerBomb
    papercut said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "papercut said:
    "
    Here here.Back on topic,I think Vin Diesel is in the wrong line of work. The amount of good movies he has been in can be counted on one hand, a hand that held on to firecracker a little too long even. With Movies like Riddick, it seems like he just has to much content to fit in to a 2 hour film, and it ends up being too confusing and ridiculously over the top. In videogames, where single player can be 8-10 hours, and over the top action being welcomed with open arms, it would seem he'd be more at home."

You found Riddick to be confusing? :O
    papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By papercut

Yeah, like how the fuck did Judy Dench get roped into this?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jakob187
    papercut said:
    "Here here.Back on topic,I think Vin Diesel is in the wrong line of work. The amount of good movies he has been in can be counted on one hand, a hand that held on to firecracker a little too long even. With Movies like Riddick, it seems like he just has to much content to fit in to a 2 hour film, and it ends up being too confusing and ridiculously over the top. In videogames, where single player can be 8-10 hours, and over the top action being welcomed with open arms, it would seem he'd be more at home."
    I could almost agree with you on that.  It does seem like he and David Twohy have the whole Riddick thing fleshed out pretty well.  I've heard a lot of backstory and seen a lot of interviews with both of them talking about it, and there's still tons of things they can explore in it all.  Pitch Black still has a ton of questions in it that I'd like to get explained from the man himself.  For instance:

You know the scene where Fry dies after leaving the cave to go find Riddick, and Riddick asks her to leave with him and forget about Imam and Jack?  Alright, so he was just fighting a shitload of these "things", right?  Fry finds him all beaten up at the ship that's leaving, and he asks if she would die for Imam and Jack, and she says that she would die for them, but not for Riddick.  Then he starts trying to get Fry to leave with him.  Alright, so after this, Riddick hugs her and she gets attacked by the thingie and killed and it flys away with her.  Riddick, at that point, yells "NOT FOR ME!".  Afterwards, he goes back to the cave and he saves Imam and Jack.

Now, here's the thing:  when he yells that, is it in spite or is it genuine emotion?  I don't know.  I don't think ANYONE knows.  I mean, on one hand, Riddick can SEE IN THE FUCKING DARK, and he was looking in the direction of where the thing attacked from.  Therefore, he KNEW that Fry would get killed and not him.  So, he could've hugged Fry because he wanted this to end up being the outcome.  However, at the same time, if Riddick were free to leave with Fry dead and Imam and Jack in the cave...WHY WOULD HE GO BACK AND SAVE THEM?  He's a killer, so it almost makes you wonder if her saying that line of "I would die for them, but not for you" hit him hard and made him realize "holy shit, she gives a damn".

So...it's moments like that which make the films worthwhile to me.  There are questions that get raised in some of his films that I don't think people ever notice.  At the same time, there were moments that I felt and saw in Butcher Bay that made me feel the same way.  For instance:

Remember in Butcher Bay, how Riddick got his "shine job" on his eyes?  Well, that would mean that HE KNEW about his Furyan heritage long before the events of The Chronicles of Riddick!!!  So why is he lying about how he got his "shine job" in Pitch Black?  Was that something that they decided on later after Pitch Black, or is there seriously no way that he knows about his Furyan past other than being born in a dumpster with an umbilical cord tied around his neck and whatnot?

So yeah, there are a LOT of questions about just little things like that which open up a million questions.

I would love to sit down with him one day and just pick apart his brain about stuff.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BiggerBomb
    papercut said:
    "Yeah, like how the fuck did Judy Dench get roped into this?"

Judy Dench needs no introduction, bitch!
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Snail
    BiggerBomb said:
    "jakob187 said:
    Ah, those were good times. :'D
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Snail said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "jakob187 said:
    Ah, those were good times. :'D"

*Facepalm*

How did I just notice? Snail, you still have your Santa hat on!
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Snail
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Snail said:
    "Ah, those were good times. :'D"
    *Facepalm*How did I just notice? Snail, you still have your Santa hat on!"
    I KNOW! :'D

Christmas is whenever a person wants it to be, I AM KEEPING IT!
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    Snail said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "Snail said:
    I KNOW! :'DChristmas is whenever a person wants it to be, I AM KEEPING IT!"
    Then you shall die a peasants death !!!!!!!
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BiggerBomb
    ZombieHunter said:
    "Snail said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "Snail said:
    I KNOW! :'DChristmas is whenever a person wants it to be, I AM KEEPING IT!"
    Then you shall die a peasants death !!!!!!!
    "

*Begins to twitch*

H-holiday d-d-ec-decor-at-decorations af-ff-f-a-ft-afterrr ch-chri-st-mmMm-mAS?!?!?!!?! GAKLHHHHHHHHHHHKLFDAD
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By TwoOneFive

vin diesel is a highly underrated man in hollywood,, mainly because he is forced to star in macho action movies because of his physique. he is very talented and intelligent. im a big fan but so many people hate on the guy. check out my thread i posted on his forum here on gb. its a wierd little short film he made before he got big. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jakob187

Actually, Judi Dench getting involved is interesting as well:

Vin Diesel is a huge fan of her, and the character she plays is based on an air elemental that he uses in D&D.  She loved the juxtaposition of the character from a tabletop game like D&D to cinematic form like The Chronicles of Riddick, and so she signed on for the movie.

What's even crazier is that the air elemental character that Vin Diesel had was very much based on Judi Dench's likeness!!!

I'm telling you, man...he's a super geek.  He's even got a game in development right now that is a fantasy epic called MELKOR!!!  HE'S NAMING A GAME AFTER HIS D&D CHARACTER WHICH IS NAMED AFTER TOLKIEN'S MORGOTH!!!  The dood is a FREAK OF NATURE!!!

Action star that loves RPGs?  NUTS!!!
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    jakob187 said:
    "Actually, Judi Dench getting involved is interesting as well:

Vin Diesel is a huge fan of her, and the character she plays is based on an air elemental that he uses in D&D.  She loved the juxtaposition of the character from a tabletop game like D&D to cinematic form like The Chronicles of Riddick, and so she signed on for the movie.

What's even crazier is that the air elemental character that Vin Diesel had was very much based on Judi Dench's likeness!!!
    "
    i think i just shit my mind.... 
    ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#39  Edited By ZombiePie

Sorry if this is off topic but Vin Diesel has said that his dream movie would be an adaptation of the musical Guys and Dolls. Yeah try and wrap your head around the idea of Vin Diesel doing a musical... just try....

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#40  Edited By kush
    Hamz said:
    I say that he should take both of those licenses and throw them into a blender to create the ultimate hybrid game!
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jakob187
    Kush said:
    "Hamz said:
    I say that he should take both of those licenses and throw them into a blender to create the ultimate hybrid game!"
    ZOMG, KUSH!!!  THAT'S MIND-BLOWING FANTASTICULAR AMAZINGNESS!!!  If he could fit some breakdancing into it, I'm SOLD!!!
    smokeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#42  Edited By smokeH

pretty cool interview

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#43  Edited By JoelTGM

vin diesel's the man!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.