Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Apr 07, 2009

Both a remake and expansion to the critically-acclaimed Xbox and PC title The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, Dark Athena features both the original campaign, an all-new campaign and new multiplayer modes.

Riddick's Dark Athena: Butcher Bay and Much, Much More

• 93 results
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
    UPDATE! Before you read the preview, check out this new Dark Athena trailer, then tell me it doesn't look completely badass.

Riddick's got his work cut out for him aboard the Dark Athena.
    The last time you heard about The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, it was being positioned by then-publisher Vivendi as a PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 remake of the original, excellent Xbox game Escape From Butcher Bay with some new content added in. Then Vivendi merged with Activision and stopped talking about the game for a long time, before finally dropping it entirely post-merger. Now Dark Athena is back, and new publisher Atari came through town to show the latest version recently. And, I'm happy to report, it's become a lot more than a simple remake. If Dark Athena is as good as it looks, it already sits near the top of my list labeled "Must Play 2009."

From the sound of it, developer Starbreeze and Vin Diesel's game company Tigon Studios initially wanted to remake Butcher Bay because too few people played the original, and because the game didn't work well with the Xbox 360's backwards compatibility. But thanks to Vivendi's intervening publishing shenanigans, Starbreeze was fortuitously granted a good 18 months longer than expected to crank on Dark Athena, and because of that, the project has swelled into a far more value-packed and exciting proposition than originally envisioned.

To me, the biggest deal about this whole thing is the new single-player content, the Assault on Dark Athena component itself. The PC version of Butcher Bay that followed the Xbox original got some new content, too--a brief, throwaway action level that lasted maybe 15 minutes. So I didn't expect a lot from the content being added in the Dark Athena remake. But I was dead wrong on that one. This isn't just a brief campaign tacked onto the end of Butcher Bay. It's an entirely new single-player experience that's purportedly just as long as the original game, and looks just as great as that one did. Butcher Bay wasn't the longest game ever--10 to 12 hours, say--but combined with Dark Athena, this will be a serious haul.

This new campaign starts minute one after the end of Butcher Bay, with Riddick and bounty hunter Johns' escape shuttle being picked up and imprisoned by roving mercenaries piloting a ship called--you guessed it--the Dark Athena. The mercs are converting their captives into hellish, armed cyborg drones that stalk the ship's corridors and act as the primary enemies, from what I could see during my brief hands-off demo.

The Ulaks will be Riddick's favorite, deadly new toys.
    Cyborgs operate in two modes. On auto-pilot, they move slowly and methodically, without much apparent awareness of their surroundings, so they shouldn't be hard to deal with in that mode. They can also be controlled remotely by the mercs, though, at which point they turn agile, smart, and deadly. Autonomous drones have a bright white light projecting from their heads, while this light shows red when they're remote-controlled. So you'll get a quick visual cue to indicate what kind of enemy you're facing even before you observe its movements.

Gone are the DNA-encoded weapons from the first game, but an equally challenging new weapon mechanic replaces them. The cyborgs' guns are built directly into their arms--so to use one, you'll have to hoist the entire corpse up and drag it around. There's a natural trade-off here. On the upside, you've got a gun to shoot and a body to act as a meat shield. Downside: your view is partially obscured, and you also move a lot slower.

There will be a few times in the storyline when you get to take remote control of the cyborgs yourself. These sequences seem to have a run-and-gun feel, since you can just pop out another 'borg when yours gets wasted. And you can use them to solve some puzzles, like jamming one into a giant fan to stop it rotating, then taking control of another to move past the fan into the next area.

All the great combat mechanics from Butcher Bay are still in here--the brutally violent melee combat, the intelligent stealth system that turns your perspective a bluish tint when you're safely hidden. I would imagine all the shanks and shivs of the first game will make an appearance, but Riddick has a set of nasty new melee toys, the Ulaks, that will surely take center stage. They look like some kind of Klingon weapon, with blades curving straight downward out of a knife-like grip and ending in a wicked point. You can just imagine the stealth kill animations that will go along with these.

The savvy sense of dramatic grit in Butcher Bay is also in evidence here, based on the smart casting and tense cutscenes I observed. Not surprisingly, Riddick quickly busts out of his captivity--but Johns isn't so lucky. In one scene I saw, he was being interrogated by Revas, the hard-assed merc captain played sternly by Michelle Forbes (Ensign Ro Laren from Star Trek: The Next Generation). Lance Henriksen (Bishop, Aliens) also plays a role as Dacher, another captive who assists Riddick in his efforts to subvert the mercs. In his efforts to fight back from the shadows, at one point Riddick met up with another ally, a little girl who reminded me of the character Newt, also from Aliens. There's no telling what kind of events will transpire in the bowels of the Dark Athena, but this looks like a good setup.

The only good cyborg is a dead cyborg.
    Don't think Butcher Bay is playing second fiddle to Dark Athena with a quick, dirty port job. The original game has purportedly been "virtually recreated" by Starbreeze's artists. The levels and character models have been given a new detail pass, or completely remodeled in some cases. The engine (an improved version of the one from The Darkness) is now using uncompressed motion data, giving much finer movements. So you'll see characters' individual fingers moving instead of the entire hand moving at once like a mitten, for example.

New AI routines are going into Dark Athena, and those will be rolled back into Butcher Bay as well, so the prison guards there will be able to knock over tables for cover and blind fire around corners. And the entire experience is receiving some other difficulty tweaks to make it play more smoothly. Dark Athena's team is made up partially of the core team from Butcher Bay; this all sounds a little like a labor of love, for these guys to get to go back and create the definitive version of an already excellent game.

Nobody's talking about the game's multiplayer mode, which I'm sure will be a nice addition, but also seems unnecessary next to all this single-player craziness. But hey, the more the merrier.

Having played Escape From Butcher Bay start to finish, I'm pretty damn excited about Dark Athena. Maybe you can tell. Unless I'm forgetting how good Batman: The Video Game was on the NES, I'm going to call Butcher Bay the best movie-based game ever made. Heck, it's one of the best games of the last generation, period. If you're one of the many people who didn't play it in its original incarnation, Starbreeze is doing you a huge favor in crafting this vastly improved version. Don't make the same mistake the second time around.
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
    UPDATE! Before you read the preview, check out this new Dark Athena trailer, then tell me it doesn't look completely badass.

The last time you heard about The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, it was being positioned by then-publisher Vivendi as a PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 remake of the original, excellent Xbox game Escape From Butcher Bay with some new content added in. Then Vivendi merged with Activision and stopped talking about the game for a long time, before finally dropping it entirely post-merger. Now Dark Athena is back, and new publisher Atari came through town to show the latest version recently. And, I'm happy to report, it's become a lot more than a simple remake. If Dark Athena is as good as it looks, it already sits near the top of my list labeled "Must Play 2009."

From the sound of it, developer Starbreeze and Vin Diesel's game company Tigon Studios initially wanted to remake Butcher Bay because too few people played the original, and because the game didn't work well with the Xbox 360's backwards compatibility. But thanks to Vivendi's intervening publishing shenanigans, Starbreeze was fortuitously granted a good 18 months longer than expected to crank on Dark Athena, and because of that, the project has swelled into a far more value-packed and exciting proposition than originally envisioned.

To me, the biggest deal about this whole thing is the new single-player content, the Assault on Dark Athena component itself. The PC version of Butcher Bay that followed the Xbox original got some new content, too--a brief, throwaway action level that lasted maybe 15 minutes. So I didn't expect a lot from the content being added in the Dark Athena remake. But I was dead wrong on that one. This isn't just a brief campaign tacked onto the end of Butcher Bay. It's an entirely new single-player experience that's purportedly just as long as the original game, and looks just as great as that one did. Butcher Bay wasn't the longest game ever--10 to 12 hours, say--but combined with Dark Athena, this will be a serious haul.

This new campaign starts minute one after the end of Butcher Bay, with Riddick and bounty hunter Johns' escape shuttle being picked up and imprisoned by roving mercenaries piloting a ship called--you guessed it--the Dark Athena. The mercs are converting their captives into hellish, armed cyborg drones that stalk the ship's corridors and act as the primary enemies, from what I could see during my brief hands-off demo.

Cyborgs operate in two modes. On auto-pilot, they move slowly and methodically, without much apparent awareness of their surroundings, so they shouldn't be hard to deal with in that mode. They can also be controlled remotely by the mercs, though, at which point they turn agile, smart, and deadly. Autonomous drones have a bright white light projecting from their heads, while this light shows red when they're remote-controlled. So you'll get a quick visual cue to indicate what kind of enemy you're facing even before you observe its movements.

Gone are the DNA-encoded weapons from the first game, but an equally challenging new weapon mechanic replaces them. The cyborgs' guns are built directly into their arms--so to use one, you'll have to hoist the entire corpse up and drag it around. There's a natural trade-off here. On the upside, you've got a gun to shoot and a body to act as a meat shield. Downside: your view is partially obscured, and you also move a lot slower.

There will be a few times in the storyline when you get to take remote control of the cyborgs yourself. These sequences seem to have a run-and-gun feel, since you can just pop out another 'borg when yours gets wasted. And you can use them to solve some puzzles, like jamming one into a giant fan to stop it rotating, then taking control of another to move past the fan into the next area.

All the great combat mechanics from Butcher Bay are still in here--the brutally violent melee combat, the intelligent stealth system that turns your perspective a bluish tint when you're safely hidden. I would imagine all the shanks and shivs of the first game will make an appearance, but Riddick has a set of nasty new melee toys, the Ulaks, that will surely take center stage. They look like some kind of Klingon weapon, with blades curving straight downward out of a knife-like grip and ending in a wicked point. You can just imagine the stealth kill animations that will go along with these.

The savvy sense of dramatic grit in Butcher Bay is also in evidence here, based on the smart casting and tense cutscenes I observed. Not surprisingly, Riddick quickly busts out of his captivity--but Johns isn't so lucky. In one scene I saw, he was being interrogated by Revas, the hard-assed merc captain played sternly by Michelle Forbes (Ensign Ro Laren from Star Trek: The Next Generation). Lance Henriksen (Bishop, Aliens) also plays a role as Dacher, another captive who assists Riddick in his efforts to subvert the mercs. In his efforts to fight back from the shadows, at one point Riddick met up with another ally, a little girl who reminded me of the character Newt, also from Aliens. There's no telling what kind of events will transpire in the bowels of the Dark Athena, but this looks like a good setup.

Don't think Butcher Bay is playing second fiddle to Dark Athena with a quick, dirty port job. The original game has purportedly been "virtually recreated" by Starbreeze's artists. The levels and character models have been given a new detail pass, or completely remodeled in some cases. The engine (an improved version of the one from The Darkness) is now using uncompressed motion data, giving much finer movements. So you'll see characters' individual fingers moving instead of the entire hand moving at once like a mitten, for example.

New AI routines are going into Dark Athena, and those will be rolled back into Butcher Bay as well, so the prison guards there will be able to knock over tables for cover and blind fire around corners. And the entire experience is receiving some other difficulty tweaks to make it play more smoothly. Dark Athena's team is made up partially of the core team from Butcher Bay; this all sounds a little like a labor of love, for these guys to get to go back and create the definitive version of an already excellent game.

Nobody's talking about the game's multiplayer mode, which I'm sure will be a nice addition, but also seems unnecessary next to all this single-player craziness. But hey, the more the merrier.

Having played Escape From Butcher Bay start to finish, I'm pretty damn excited about Dark Athena. Maybe you can tell. Unless I'm forgetting how good Batman: The Video Game was on the NES, I'm going to call Butcher Bay the best movie-based game ever made. Heck, it's one of the best games of the last generation, period. If you're one of the many people who didn't play it in its original incarnation, Starbreeze is doing you a huge favor in crafting this vastly improved version. Don't make the same mistake the second time around.
    Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Death_Burnout

I really could go for this, i never quite finished Butcher Bay, so its a good oppertunity. This whole thing is quite amazing actually

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By gla55jAw

i <3 vin diesel

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By iamjohn

I've always really wanted to play Riddick.  I played the PC demo a couple years ago and it was awesome!  I can't wait for this!

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Death_Burnout

First comments dont seem to be showing up around here...hmm. Oh scratch that, they do and they dont, some odd glitch. Again, looking forward to this i think

stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By stephengotlost

I finished the game on PC last year and enjoyed the combat, but I did not care much for the monotonous level design featuring hundreds  of metallic walls, floors, and ceilings.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By tekmojo

loved the movies, never played the game.

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lamegame621

I want this!!!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Claude

Not only did I love Butcher's Bay, but I thought it was the best action game I had played on the Xbox. I'm very interested... very.

webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By webby

Hated the movie, loved the game, cant wait

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Totally agree with you on BB being one of the best games of last gen. I cant wait to go through BB again, but a whole new campaign with the tried and true BB formula?! Cant WAIT.

Mjolnir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Mjolnir

I never did get to play the first game, so I'll have to check this out when the time comes.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#13  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Maybe? I have heard good things about Butcher Bay...

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By jakob187

SUPER great to hear some news about this coming out.  Escape from Butcher Bay IS the best movie-based game ever made, and Starbreeze deserves a chance to bring that experience to a bigger audience.  I've got SOOOOOOO many questions that I would love to drill you with, but I'm sure you're a busy man.

Pitch Black still remains one of my favorite movies because there are a TON of unanswered questions from that movie...and I'm sure that Dark Athena will only create more.  I'm also curious to see if they play anything else into Riddick's Furyan background...
    Fade2Gray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Fade2Gray

Butcher Bay was an AMAZING game. Lord, I hope they put this on the PC!

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By TwoOneFive

i just got a BONER and it grew its own little boner, it looks like a tonfa!!!!

LOL im just a HUGE fan of the first game and i became addicted to the riddick universe for a while LOL its not that great but once you get into it, the universe they created for this franchise should be explored so much more. 
    RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By RenegadeSaint

I want.

brydello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By brydello

DO WANT!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jakob187
    TwoOneFive said:
    "i just got a BONER and it grew its own little boner, it looks like a tonfa!!!!
    LOL im just a HUGE fan of the first game and i became addicted to the riddick universe for a while LOL its not that great but once you get into it, the universe they created for this franchise should be explored so much more. 
    "
    Damn straight, sir.  Not only do we get Dark Athena, but if rumors are true, we should be close to seeing the next Riddick flick.  UNDERVERSE!!!
    PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PercyChuggs

Call me crazy, but I would prefer a talented new developer work on a new IP or something original, not a frickin' remake of a game that isn't even 5 years old. What's next, a remake of The Darkness on the next Xbox because the original didn't sell well on 360?

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PercyChuggs

Call me crazy, but I would prefer a talented new developer work on a new IP or something original, not a frickin' remake of a game that isn't even 5 years old. What's next, a remake of The Darkness on the next Xbox because the original didn't sell well on 360?

Johanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#23  Edited By Johanz

Escape from Butcher Bay really set the standards on how you use a movie license and a actor with it. EfBB is really top notch Riddick material along with Pitch Black and this seems to be pretty darn sweet aswell. Starbreeze really knows how to create atmospheric and cool games, they look cool and you feel cool playing it. I think this might be one my top games for 2009. A new campaign AND the old game? Heck, I'm in love already!

Really makes you proud to be from Sweden, when we have fine craftsmen like the boys and girls at Starbreeze.

Really, if you want a great action game 2009, you must get this game. The first game got good scores almost everywhere, and no one bought it! Well, not enough atleast. Don't do a Psychonauts on this game and do take the leap of faith if you haven't played it before. The money goes to a good cause and a good developer atleast, that have some passion for their work. If there is one license-based game that should live on. It's Riddick by Starbreeze!

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TwoOneFive
    jakob187 said:
    "TwoOneFive said:
    "
    Damn straight, sir.  Not only do we get Dark Athena, but if rumors are true, we should be close to seeing the next Riddick flick.  UNDERVERSE!!!"
    i know i would love to see them continue with his saga. its just so cool to me. dunno
    but anyways. this game sounds like a 2009 GOTY contender for sure. 
    and it sounds like its guaranteed a 20 hour game, and thats AMAZING for an game in this genre (lookin at you Call of Duty and Gears) ! And we can rest assure that it stays fresh throughout because the second half is a whole new game! And i have complete faith in the mutiplayer, but we all know were here for the single mostly. it would be awesome for this game to have its own horde type co-op to all users to do melee attacks online, i can't see it working competitively
    Swinghi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Swinghi

I really enjoyed it as well.  I hope it is worth the money when it comes out.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By daniel_beck_90

one of the best News I have ever heard , a must buy for me

gzl5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gzl5000

This is gonna be friggin' awesome. Vin Diesel should work exclusively in video games, and he'd be a gigantic success. Plus, he's a giant nerd himself...it works for everyone!

mrsmiley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mrsmiley

Butcher was hands down my favorite action game for the Xbox. The graphics were as good as some of the next gen games out there! Can't wait to see this. :)

TaintedSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By TaintedSun

This game is going to be awesome... period.

trecipticon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By trecipticon

I can't wait for this, the last game was awesome.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jakob187
    TwoOneFive said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "TwoOneFive said:
    "
    Damn straight, sir.  Not only do we get Dark Athena, but if rumors are true, we should be close to seeing the next Riddick flick.  UNDERVERSE!!!"
    i know i would love to see them continue with his saga. its just so cool to me. dunno
    and it sounds like its guaranteed a 20 hour game, and thats AMAZING for an game in this genre (lookin at you Call of Duty and Gears) ! And we can rest assure that it stays fresh throughout because the second half is a whole new game! And i have complete faith in the mutiplayer, but we all know were here for the single mostly. it would be awesome for this game to have its own horde type co-op to all users to do melee attacks online, i can't see it working competitively
    "
    Hell, dood...the first game was so tightly-made that it'll be fun to play through all that again!!!  I was in awe of just how damn good Butcher Bay was.
    And yeah, they WILL be continuing the movies.  There's two more that Twohy and Diesel have in the works.  They are penning out the scripts right now, and it's going to be picking up right where the last flick left off.  Diesel has already said, very cryptically, that Riddick is going to be making a visit to the Underverse...and my assumption is that he's going there to claim Kyra back.
    artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By artofwar420

This is made of pure love.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Hell.  Yes.

I loved the original.  I can't wait to play it again, new and improved.

orshick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By orshick

So fully stoked. Wonder why no screenshots this close to release.

...unless those in the article are from the remake.. I hope not.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I totally look forward to getting it. The original game was amazing, and I never finished or purchased it. I was always bummed it wasn't backwards compatible with the 360. God that was such an awesome, and innovative game. I'd like to thank all those that didn't play it before for making this remake possible.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TwoOneFive
    jakob187 said:
    "TwoOneFive said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "TwoOneFive said:
    "
    "
    Hell, dood...the first game was so tightly-made that it'll be fun to play through all that again!!!  I was in awe of just how damn good Butcher Bay was.
    And yeah, they WILL be continuing the movies.  There's two more that Twohy and Diesel have in the works.  They are penning out the scripts right now, and it's going to be picking up right where the last flick left off.  Diesel has already said, very cryptically, that Riddick is going to be making a visit to the Underverse...and my assumption is that he's going there to claim Kyra back.
    "
    rumors and news about these sequels are about as sparse as news about this game was. so i hope it all goes through, i know the budget will be much lower than the last film, but that may help it out big time. i liked the indy feel of the pitch black but i like the epic scope of the sequel. hopefully the underverse is every bit as cool as it sounds. Diesel needs a big hit too, his last movie was a totally dud, critically and box office wise. i think he's an awesome actor just keeps landing crappy roles lately. hopefully the new Fast and Furious is kick ass, and not lame as hell like the last two sequels were. 
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#37  Edited By Bouke

I loved the original game, but somehow didn´t  finish the last level... i´m still left wondering how the ending played out, so this will be a great chance to play this awesome game again with improved... ehhhh.... everything! And this time get some achievements in the process... i´m buying this the minute it comes out!

ratzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ratzombie

I love Butcher Bay as well, I wasn't too interested in Dark Athena until I read this as (like you) I expected a quick and dirty port of the original game... which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but certainly not worth $60.00 (as I even bought the original when it hit budget).

What you describe though is a game well worth the full retail price.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JoelTGM

I never played the original, but I've always heard only good things about it.  I'm looking forward to this game.

vinsanity09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By vinsanity09

Never finished the first one because my PC had problems running it, can't wait to play it on 360

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By cikame

I wanted to play riddick because of all the praise it for from pretty much everyone..... but isn't it a corridor crawler? like doom? or quake?
    Whenever i see pictures its always in a corridor, and this new setup for dark athena "in the corridors of a ship" doesn't sound very imaginative, i've only seen half the film because i keep falling asleep but even there i saw far more than corridors.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#42  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    HTTenrai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By HTTenrai

Cool, but I'm a bit worried about this thick desaturation filter I'm seeing...I don't like seeing excessive desaturation. Why can't we have colorful games? Are we still doing this shitty cliche?

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Keeng

I hated the movies, but the first game was definitely well-made. I'll jump on the bandwagon for this.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

That second movie was complete crap, so I never cared to play a game. I did read the reviews about how great it was, but seeing where the storyline left off in the second movie, there isn't much to say about the story or Riddick anymore, now that he's Emperor of the Universe, or whatever.  I wonder why they wanted to rehash an old game anyway, instead of just making a new one with new stories, etc?  Rehashes are lazy, trying to milk whatever remains of the Riddick franchise, if there is any...didn't the last movie come out 4 years ago?

They should do the 3rd movie: Riddick versus He-man: Master of the Universe next.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Yum, sounds kick ass, Can't wait to see more on this game.

Johanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Johanz
    cikame:

Don't worry. It's nooothing like Quake or Doom. Sure, it has tons of action, but it's more like a action adventure game, you walk around, talk to cell mates in Butcher Bay and do sidequests for cigarettpacks and credits, with credits you can use 'em to buy ciggpacks, or other stuff from people. It's a much deeper experience than Doom or Quake. It's so much focus on adventuring, talking, and then having some action here and there. Perfectly paced. You never get so much action that you are burned out on it, because before you get too much of it, you are through with one area and you can explore some and talk, which is a nice breather before going into another action part. Always makes you hungry for more. :)
    The_Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By The_Icon

The first one was awesome

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#49  Edited By citizenkane
    pandemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By pandemic

I played the original on the xbox and was blown away.  For anyone who hasn't played the original, this is EXCELLENT news

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.