Is this Game a Classic?

#1 Posted by kishan6 (1914 posts) -
#2 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Ahh, what's your definition of 'classic' then?  Really great game back then, doesn't hold up quite so well today (and in the new version) but still enjoyable.

#3 Posted by TurboMan (7695 posts) -

This game was incredible... I'd say it is.

#4 Posted by kishan6 (1914 posts) -
@Diamond: i replayed it last year and thought it was better than other games that got great review scores like lets say mw2
#5 Posted by buzz_clik (7014 posts) -

While I don't think I'll ever consider it a classic, when I played it on the Xbox I thought it was took amazing leaps with graphical and gameplay nuances. Back when it was first released I was just gobsmacked by the engine and the way it rendered shadows and blurring, and I loved the mission-based detours that spiced up the story and atmosphere.

All that aside, though, I don't think it's a classic. For me, however, it's still a significant stepping stone towards the tech of today's games.

#6 Posted by RobJ (398 posts) -

It deserves to be rated as a classic if for no other reason than it's one of the few games based on a film that doesn't totally suck!

#7 Edited by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1530 posts) -
@Diamond said:

" Ahh, what's your definition of 'classic' then?  Really great game back then, doesn't hold up quite so well today (and in the new version) but still enjoyable. "

Yeah agreed.  When it came out it was awesome and there was not much else like it.  It really blew me away, especially on the Xbox where the graphics were spectacular (maybe the best next to Splinter Cell Chaos Theory).  But yeah, revisited it via Dark Athena and the environments weren't very big and it was a little open but a lot more linear than it appeared at the time. I'm a huge Deus Ex fan and I remembered it giving me that feel but going back it was not nearly as free or open.  And there really isn't much of a climax to the game. the ending sucks balls.

For it's time, a great game though.  I think Starbreeze improved with The Darkness.

(on an unrelated note... I forgot about Project Redline?  where was that at e3?!? I need more Starbreeze)
#8 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
(on an unrelated note... I forgot about Project Redline?  where was that at e3?!? I need more Starbreeze)
It seems pretty certain that they're working on a remake of the old Syndicate games now, I assume that's what they'll eventually show next.
#9 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -

Was a great game, but I don't think it's old enough to fall into "classic", at least for me.

#10 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I certainly think so. It was groundbreaking in many ways.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.