Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Conduit

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jun 23, 2009

The Conduit is a futuristic first-person shooter developed by High Voltage Software exclusively for the Nintendo Wii. The game makes use of High Voltage Software's proprietary, Wii-specific Quantum3 game engine.

More of The Conduit

• 62 results
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Al3xand3r
    New official website.
    Sweet website, but no new media as of yet. Some decyphering opportunities, but I can't bother.

The Conduit Twitter.
    Updates from today's planned demonstration and beyond.

First multi player trailer:

It looks like basic deathmatchy stuff, as expected. 12 players only, though initially they had said 16. I mostly want it for the SP myself, but if this mode is solid it will certainly see some use (but not as much as Excitebots). Some screenshots floating confirm an experience point system.

Some additional information that was placed in comments further down the thread:

Kotaku impressions. We know what this website is about, but it actually sounds quite good if you look past their usual self. The game is hard. Yay. This guy apparently died all the time, the guy he shared the playthrough with only died at level four and five, yet he criticises the difficulty. Learn to play? There will be GoldenEye-like cheats. Sweet, I love unlocking stuff and modes. All games should have that shit. He criticised C being crouch. I think C is the perfect choice, allowing you to do it in combination with any other move, just like pushing CTRL on PC, though TOGGLE should be an option. Pushing down on the d-pad as he wants to do sounds very unintuitive. Anyway, it really sounds like a very solid old-school (not Doom old-school, GoldenEye old-school) FPS, no matter how hard they try to make it sound bad. Great job, Kotaku.

Ok so, known modes so far:
    - Free For All
    - Marathon (kill until time runs out)
    - Three Strikes (Kill until lives run out)
    - Last Man Standing
    - ASE Football (Tag)
    - Bounty Hunter (Only kill specified players)
    - Team Reaper
    - Team Objective (Capture the flag)
    4 left to go.

From Nintendo Power from NeoGAF.

The latest build showcases a world that feels much more alive than earlier versions. You really get the impression that you're in the middle of a massive alien invasion; helicopters zoom by and are occassionaly shot down by the extraterrestrial aggressors while frantic news reports blare from the televisions on display in shop windows.

The enemy AI is another element that's been significantly tweaked since we last saw The Conduit, and to counter their wily ways you can now crouch behind objects to take cover.The firefights offer a bit more depth as a result, but don't expect anything too tactical.

The story definitely has a bit of an X-files vibe going for it.

You can get rid of the HUD entirely for a more cinematic presentation, and alternative indicators are built into the game so you're not flying blind. If Ford's health gets dangerously low, for instance, you'll hear him start to breathe heavily and your surroundings will start to lose their color.

Update: New trailer. Would make a great TV ad.

Neat.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

Are they going to change that god-awful box art I saw on another thread? I didn't comment when I saw it, but... yeah not to hot.

That looks pretty good, I played Medal of Honor Heroes 2 and had some fun. This looks crisp and clean, plus a good frame rate.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well that only shows the free for all mode, they still haven't unveiled all that's in it, but they should soon. The menus were pretty slick, and it seemed to have a nice system of map voting and a very COD-esque rank system. The map style reminded me of HL2DM content, mostly quite restricted but with the occasional more open area. There's not much else to say about this video.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TwoOneFive

aaaaaand nobody cares about this game. 

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

Wow, The Conduit's twitter reveals that there will be 13 modes of play including ASE football and the free for all seen in the trailer.

We can guess other modes will include deathmatch and team deathmatch variants, some kind of CTF (capture the ASE), then I have no clue what the rest may be. Some sort of 1 vs many I guess. Anyway, nice to see it's going to have so extensive options.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Pazy

Im really looking forward to this. I dont really do hype but from the SP footage ive seen, and the MP footage ive just seen, it looks like a solid if unremarkable (bar being probably one of the best fps's on the wii, which is of course such a high bar ;)) shooter. Ill probably pick it up but im hoping that since theres probably no voice support that they will make the levels and gametypes (and even interface) intuitive enough in multiplayer that I can work as a team without need for talking.

Fingers crossed but if its sucks I wont be too dissapointed.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By ArcBorealis
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Wow, The Conduit's twitter reveals that there will be 13 modes of play including ASE football and the free for all seen in the trailer."
    ASE Football sounds cool. Reminds anyone of UT's Bombing Run mode?
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Alaska_Gamer said:
    "Al3xand3r said:
    "Wow, The Conduit's twitter reveals that there will be 13 modes of play including ASE football and the free for all seen in the trailer."
    ASE Football sounds cool. Reminds anyone of UT's Bombing Run mode?"
    Exactly what I thought. If so, then hell yes, because that is one of UT's best modes.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Pazy said:
    "[...]since theres probably no voice support[...]"
    There is.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Godwind

They seem to keep stripping away at content.  A shame.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Al3xand3r

Wat? Announcing 13 modes is stripping away content?

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Wat? Announcing 13 modes is stripping away content?"
    I think he was referring to the 12-player online.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

That's not exactly "content" but yeah. Still more than the Wii WaW. Personally I think anything around 10 is fine, it gets a little too chaotic with many more, though I guess that's alright for a deathmatchy game anyway, it's just not my thing for anything but large scale titles like Battlefield.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Oh, right. That's not exactly "content" but yeah. Still more than the Wii WaW version."
    What? How many does that support!?!
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Al3xand3r

8, no? It really was a botched port, the fact it sold so well hopefully means they consider the platform more viable and make better effort for MW2.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Arkthemaniac

EIGHT!?!?

God, that's ridiculous. Well, 12 ain't so bad, especially if it runs smoothly. I think we have to come to terms with the Wii not being made for multiplayer games of great scale. I'll play this for my close-up online, and Bad Company for my more grand, massive online.

Not really a bad move if it improves the quality of the service.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Al3xand3r

I don't think it has anything to do with the online, the game will work like Gears of War 2 relying on the connection of the host player, no? Or will it rely on some server provided by Nintendo? Anyway, 12 is probably chosen for the level of graphics they wanted more than anything else. If they just wanted to port Counter-Strike with those graphics they could probably keep 32 just fine. As they can create more optimised engines with more experience, we should see the number increase. 32 or 64 player games didn't only appear this generation for other platforms, they've existed for years (mainly the PC) and I see no reason for the Wii not being able to handle it if it's done with enough care.

Multi player sometimes is less of a load than single player even, considering it doesn't have to run AI calculations. But I guess the added load of  the number of characters that may be on screen offsets that, and being a closed deathmatchy game you have a lot of chances of meeting many players at once, increasing the load and either requiring the loss of visual quality, or the adjusting of the player numbers possible. They chose the latter, for now, and I'm sure it was the right choice, as I'm sure they or a different studio can increase the number in other games.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Yeah, which I'm cool with. I won't hate them for not including four more people. Things happen, and this seems a legitimate reason to cut back.

Please, just have WiiSpeak support.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Al3xand3r

It does. Doesn't it?

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Arkthemaniac

It supports it. I'm hoping it supports it all the time, and not just in friend matches.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Al3xand3r

Oh, I think you'll only hear added friends, sorry.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Arkthemaniac

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASS.

Well, I think I'll be playing less random people, and will just have to stockpile friends from here and IGN.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Al3xand3r
    TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By TheJollyRajah

Woohoo, another generic-looking shooter.

Wii fanboys gotta have some hope, though.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Al3xand3r
    TheJollyRajah said:
    "Woohoo, another generic-looking shooter.

Wii fanboys gotta have some hope, though."
    It looks like it's turning out better than Haze which had all the Sony fanboys hyped despite being generic, up until reviews slammed it. At least nobody here is expecting the second coming from a generic FPS like those people did, people just expect a solid FPS, and will probably get it.

Anyway, more information from IGN.

In "Free for All," players can take part in a quick match, with the match ending when a player reaches a set kill count. In "Marathon," players simply rack up as many kills as they can in a set time limit. "Three Strikes" challenges players to strive with only three lives to use. "Last Man Standing" is exactly what it sounds like, and "ASE Football" is a "tag" like game where the player who holds onto the All Seeing Eye the longest wins. Then there's "Bounty Hunter," the most complex sounding of the free for all matches: players aim for specific players, but get penalized if they take out the wrong targets.

There are two different Team Play categories. In "Team Reaper," you can play Quick Match and Marathon with sides, but you can also play "Shared Stock," where teammates pull additional lives from the same pool. In "Team Objective," you can take part in a capture the flag mode using the ASE -- each team has its own All Seeing Eye to grab. There's also a mode to grab a single ASE somewhere in the level; the team that captures the ASE the most in the set time limit wins.

The Conduit's multiplayer will support the Wii Speak voicechatting peripheral. To cut down on the overwhelming noise of 12 players gabbing away at the same time, players will only hear the players that are close to them -- according to High Voltage, players will hear, at most, the six players closest to them during battle.
    Very Unreal Tournament-ish options. Not bad, I can't wait to hear about the rest of the modes. That voice chat implementation is, well, eccentric.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Red

Is it just me, or has The Conduit been looking more and more like a PSP game every time we see it? I mean, before the game looked awesome, and like it could be on the 360. Now it's just been getting uglier and more and more dated.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Al3xand3r

It's you, it's been steadily improving. The multi player looks toned down, but every new single player video released has been better than the last.

Kotaku impressions. We know what this website is about, but it actually sounds quite good if you look past their usual self. The game is hard. Yay. This guy apparently died all the time, the guy he shared the playthrough with only died at level four and five, yet he criticises the difficulty. Learn to play? There will be GoldenEye-like cheats. Sweet, I love unlocking stuff and modes. All games should have that shit. He criticised C being crouch. I think C is the perfect choice, allowing you to do it in combination with any other move, just like pushing CTRL on PC, though TOGGLE should be an option. Pushing down on the d-pad as he wants to do sounds very unintuitive. Anyway, it really sounds like a very solid old-school (not Doom old-school, GoldenEye old-school) FPS, no matter how hard they try to make it sound bad. Great job, Kotaku.

Ok so, known modes so far:
    - Free For All
    - Marathon (kill until time runs out)
    - Three Strikes (Kill until lives run out)
    - Last Man Standing
    - ASE Football (Tag)
    - Bounty Hunter (Only kill specified players)
    - Team Reaper
    - Team Objective (Capture the flag)
    4 left to go.

From Nintendo Power from NeoGAF.

The latest build showcases a world that feels much more alive than earlier versions. You really get the impression that you're in the middle of a massive alien invasion; helicopters zoom by and are occassionaly shot down by the extraterrestrial aggressors while frantic news reports blare from the televisions on display in shop windows.

The enemy AI is another element that's been significantly tweaked since we last saw The Conduit, and to counter their wily ways you can now crouch behind objects to take cover.The firefights offer a bit more depth as a result, but don't expect anything too tactical.

The story definitely has a bit of an X-files vibe going for it.

You can get rid of the HUD entirely for a more cinematic presentation, and alternative indicators are built into the game so you're not flying blind. If Ford's health gets dangerously low, for instance, you'll hear him start to breathe heavily and your surroundings will start to lose their color.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Al3xand3r

Here be a print ad.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#29  Edited By Claude

The print ad looks better than the box art. Maybe they will change it, they still have time.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Al3xand3r

6 new multiplayer screens and a video. They played it and think it's very Perfect Dark-ish. They'll soon have about 20 single player screens, some of which looked pretty awesome when they uploaded them, but I guess they did it by accident and there's an embargo for now, so they took them down.

The video:

Some screens:

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Al3xand3r

New trailer. Would make a great TV ad.

Neat.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By Meowayne

"A strange flu-like illness"? Oooooh.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#33  Edited By Forcen

Why not in the conduit forum?

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

I'm honestly concluded in the fact that people are only on this because it's a shooter for the wii. 
    Having just got several pretty avg shooters from bestbuy, I have to say, this is an average shooter, if even.

It's not the same, but imagine if this were in the same situation for the wii.  People would go crazy over it.  People sort of just blow games like these off.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Al3xand3r

People were pretty excited for Haze before they saw it ended up crap, and that still looked generic and conventional prior to release (so prior to finding out it was so crap after all the hype).

Payback looks good in that video (might as well be another COD game on looks alone) but among its downfalls are design flaws like so: "Difficulty in the game doesn’t come in the form of craft AI, but instead from not being able to pinpoint enemies and having them spawn randomly behind you allowing them a few quick cheap shots." so I don't see the comparison to The Conduit. Too bad, because the first Soldier of Fortune, and to an extent the second, were ace.

Similarly, Blacksite Area 51 seems to have mixed reviews, with some people who liked it, and others who note flaws like "a wide assortment of bugs and design issues" so I don't see the comparison here either.

Sure, The Conduit may have such design flaws and bugs also, but until we see them, why pretend it's a game of the same caliber? Those videos don't really make any point other than PS360 are more powerful than the Wii, which I think is something people haven't ever disputed.

You seem to think it's looks alone that make people like or dislike a game, and because those games look good/generic in short bursts, The Conduit must be of the same quality or something. If people saw those videos for the Wii they would be excited because usually good visuals for the WIi mean a lot of effort from the developer. But when the games were finally out, if they had the same issues I have given examples of above, you can be sure people wouldn't play them. Still, for now, what we know of The Conduit doesn't imply any such issues. Not yet at least.

Nobody's praising The Conduit as the second coming, people expect a solid, fun FPS, perhaps along the lines of old school shooters or for a better comparison something like F.E.A.R.2 minus the scare factor plus aliens. Say, an 7-8/10 game as opposed to a 10/10 masterpiece that will be remembered for the next decade. I played F.E.A.R. 2 on PC. It was no COD4 or Crysis but I enjoyed it and even played its uninspired multiplayer a bit, what's wrong with doing the same with The Conduit? Well, these are the facts I'm concluded in. Lol.

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Keyser_Soze

Still looks like crap. Alex sell your Wii while it's still worth something and pick up a 360 if you want shooters.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By atejas

Area 51 was awesome.

And the aiming reminds me of the use of TrackIR in ArmA.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Keyser_Soze said:
    "Still looks like crap. Alex sell your Wii while it's still worth something and pick up a 360 if you want shooters."
    Take your trolling elsewhere kid, who was even discussing console strengths and comparisons outside this particular title? Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with the likes of you? Go create a new thread to compel me and others like me into buying your beloved 360 if you really want everyone to conform to your extreme fanboyism, otherwise I'll stick with my PC & Wii combo which, imo, offers the best of all worlds (portables not withstanding). Go on. Give it your best shot (as you clearly didn't here, well, hopefully at least). Just not in here.
    Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Keyser_Soze
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Keyser_Soze said:
    "Still looks like crap. Alex sell your Wii while it's still worth something and pick up a 360 if you want shooters."
    Take your trolling elsewhere kid, who was even discussing console strengths and comparisons outside this particular title? Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with the likes of you? Go create a new thread and compel me and others like me to buy your beloved 360 if you really want everyone to conform to your extreme fanboyism, otherwise I'll stick with my PC & Wii combo which, imo, offers the best of all worlds. Go on. Give it your best shot (as you clearly didn't here, well, hopefully at least)."
    Trolling? Moi? I was merely stating blatantly obvious facts. The Wii is crap, and The Conduit looks like generic garbage, on a system wishing it had some generic garbage shooter.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yes, you. You don't even know what the fuck you typed, lol. Telling me to sell my Wii is "stating blatantly obvious facts" now? How is it a "fact" to urge me to buy or sell anything for that matter? Do you even know what you're talking about anymore? I guess not, judging by these responses. Go on, keep destroying the forums with completely off topic trolling like this. It's good for your soul. Keep it up kid.

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Keyser_Soze

And they were like you sooooooooooooooooooooo trolling! And I was like, I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooo not trolling.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By atejas
      Was what I was talking about.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By mikemcn

i hope theres some sort of indicator that tells whether or not you actually hit your opponent.

In WAW they had that sound that played and a symbol appeared on your crosshairs, hope they do something similar, its a small but important feature for me

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Meowayne
    Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By Goly

Sorry but from what I've seen this game looks pretty awful.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By get2sammyb
    Al3xand3r said:
    "People were pretty excited for Haze before they saw it ended up crap, and that still looked generic and conventional prior to release (so prior to finding out it was so crap after all the hype)."
    Stop going on about Haze.

What people are trying to say is, if this game was coming to PS3/360/PC the hype would be significantly less. Which is true.

But then, good work on SEGA and High Voltage's part for clearly offering a game the audience wanted -- even if that same audience do throw out the words "urgh shooters" everytime someone mentions a genuinely good HD one.

Jury is still out on The Conduit. I won't be buying it because I can play Killzone 2 or Call Of Duty 4. Capiche?
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Meowayne
    Al3xand3r said:
    As for "garbage" kay, whatever, everyone's got their own opinion, as misguided as it may be when they haven't actually experienced it.
    Ayup. I am certainly going to try The Conduit with an open mind. It might just be great. But what we actually did already experience is the artstyle. And that is, really now, awful.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Al3xand3r
    get2sammyb said:
    "Al3xand3r said:
    "People were pretty excited for Haze before they saw it ended up crap, and that still looked generic and conventional prior to release (so prior to finding out it was so crap after all the hype)."
    Stop going on about Haze.What people are trying to say is, if this game was coming to PS3/360/PC the hype would be significantly less. Which is true.But then, good work on SEGA and High Voltage's part for clearly offering a game the audience wanted -- even if that same audience do throw out the words "urgh shooters" everytime someone mentions a genuinely good HD one.Jury is still out on The Conduit. I won't be buying it because I can play Killzone 2 or Call Of Duty 4. Capiche?"
    Why don't you stop going on about The Conduit if you want me to stop going on about Haze? It's a good example, okay? People were hyped for it despite it looking generic, then it turned out crap, oh well. So why do people bash The Conduit for looking generic, since it may not end up crap? Of course, it might as well, and I'll be the first to say so at that point. Nobody hypes it as the second coming of gaming, all ppl expect is a solid FPS. If someone hypes it like that, feel free to go find them and tell them off. I'm not. And I don't follow the hype. All I do is post videos and revealed information, then say I look forward to seeing how it shapes up in the end. I don't praise every little thing as spectacularly spectacular and in fact I often say that I think the multi player won't be all that great, and that I mostly want it for the single player because it just "clicks" with me. I've played many fun games that weren't the second coming of their respective genres, you know.

I can play COD4 also, but it's gotten quite boring by now, especially in regards to the single player which is what I want out of this. I can't endlessly replay COD4, F.E.A.R. 2, Half-Life 2, and whatever else has come out, while actually having fun.

I like the storyline they have going. As cliche as it may be, it's more than a good excuse to own some aliens and shady government agents. I like some of the environments,like the airport,  the firefights they have shown so far, the enemy spawners, the way the AI makes the firefights flow, the All Seeing Eye's uses which remind me of the Metroid Prime visors, and other elements. I'm not trying to make you like them. You decide to go in threads with The Conduit in the topic on your own. Then you get upset because some people look forward to this, hoping it's a solid game? Meh.
    Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

Looks pretty good. Another Wii title I would pick up if I had one.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By get2sammyb
    Al3xand3r said:
    "get2sammyb said:
    "Al3xand3r said:
    Stop going on about Haze.What people are trying to say is, if this game was coming to PS3/360/PC the hype would be significantly less. Which is true.But then, good work on SEGA and High Voltage's part for clearly offering a game the audience wanted -- even if that same audience do throw out the words "urgh shooters" everytime someone mentions a genuinely good HD one.Jury is still out on The Conduit. I won't be buying it because I can play Killzone 2 or Call Of Duty 4. Capiche?"
    Why don't you stop going on about The Conduit if you want me to stop going on about Haze?
    It's a Conduit thread?

You berate on others for having "different opinions" to your own but you should really try to control that rage you have when others disagree with you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.