Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Conduit

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jun 23, 2009

The Conduit is a futuristic first-person shooter developed by High Voltage Software exclusively for the Nintendo Wii. The game makes use of High Voltage Software's proprietary, Wii-specific Quantum3 game engine.

New Developer Commentary sporting finalized graphics.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

It's taking a while to download, but I'll give my thoughts after I watch it.

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Thrawn1

the hud looks pretty bad....but the level of customization is pretty deep.

As for the graphics, it sort of reminds me of The original HL

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HandsomeDead

It's like i'm really back in 2002.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Claude
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By PureRok

The game doesn't look that bad, considering the system. It looks like some early PS2 games (graphically).

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Black_Rose

It seems like all the focus of their previews goes to graphics instead of gameplay.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By zitosilva

I've read recently that what's really been standing out for the people that played the game is that the level design seems pretty bland, but I don't know how old of a build they've allowed people to play.

The video was interesting, but it still seems like the real diferential for the game is the fact that it's on the wii. There doesn't seem to be a personality, something that immediately connects you to watching an image and saying "oh, that's the conduit". And although they seem to be concentrating on the graphical aspect of it, there are still some stuff that don't look good for any standards. That fire effect that ends with a line at the wall really stood out for me.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    PureRok said:
    "The game doesn't look that bad, considering the system. It looks like some early PS2 games (graphically)."
    HandsomeDead said:
    "It's like i'm really back in 2002."
    You have a fucked up memory.

Also, I compared The Conduit to Killzone, which was considered amazing visually for the PS2. It comes nowhere close in draw distance, texture resolution, animation, etc. Cut the shit, you ignorant dickheads.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PureRok
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "
    PureRok said:
    "The game doesn't look that bad, considering the system. It looks like some early PS2 games (graphically)."
    HandsomeDead said:

Also, I compared The Conduit to Killzone, which was considered amazing visually for the PS2. It comes nowhere close in draw distance, texture resolution, animation, etc. Cut the shit, you ignorant dickheads.
    "
    Hmm, looks just like that. Cool, thanks for backing me up, even if you're acting like someone just stuck a dick up your ass and you didn't like it.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    PureRok said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "
    PureRok said:
    HandsomeDead said:

"
    Hmm, looks just like that. Cool, thanks for backing me up, even if you're acting like someone just stuck a dick up your ass and you didn't like it."
    Hey man, I'm sticking up for a quality product. What are you doing? Voicing a wrong opinion.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PureRok
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "PureRok said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "
    PureRok said:
    HandsomeDead said:

"
    Hmm, looks just like that. Cool, thanks for backing me up, even if you're acting like someone just stuck a dick up your ass and you didn't like it."
    Hey man, I'm sticking up for a quality product. What are you doing? Voicing a wrong opinion."
    For one, opinions, by their very nature, can't be wrong. Also, I was complementing the game, asshole.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    PureRok said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "PureRok said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "
    PureRok said:
    HandsomeDead said:

"
    Hey man, I'm sticking up for a quality product. What are you doing? Voicing a wrong opinion."
    For one, opinions, by their very nature, can't be wrong. Also, I was complementing the game, asshole."
    PureRok said:
    I don't agree with what you say. You said it looks like an early PS2 title. And, you have a wrong opinion, because what you are saying is a wrong fact. Calling it an opinion doesn't make it infallable. It is technically more impressive than anything released for the PS2. It is graphically more impressive than any game released on Xbox because it has better lighting.
    clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By clarke0

The game has some cool technical effects that weren't in most last generation games like depth of field, bloom, and more advanced lighting. But honestly I still think some previous gen games look better. Take Doom 3 for example. I think these kind of comparisons are irrelevant anyway. Why? Because graphics shouldn't be the selling point of any Wii game considering... you know... the Wii is known to be far inferior than the other consoles in this department. I'm not saying graphics in Wii games isn't important, I just don't think it should be something to focus on.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Arkthemaniac

A game's control can take it to certain lengths. A game that controls awesomely is awesome. A game that controls awesome and looks awesome is icing on the cake.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Hey man, I'm sticking up for a quality product."
    Only quality product mentioned so far has been Jak and Daxter. Unless you consider a generic looking FPS to be a 'quality product'.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    Only quality product mentioned so far has been Jak and Daxter. Unless you consider a generic looking FPS to be a 'quality product'."
    I consider an FPS that looks as good as this one looks and plays as well as this one supposedly plays to be a quality product.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    Only quality product mentioned so far has been Jak and Daxter. Unless you consider a generic looking FPS to be a 'quality product'."
    I consider an FPS that looks as good as this one looks and plays as well as this one supposedly plays to be a quality product."
    You can't be posting stuff like that with a straight face. The only things you can be comparing that to are like Red Steel and World at War to come out with such high praise.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Alright, you know what? Fuck you. Go to hell. Your entire tenure at GiantBomb has been spent trolling the Wii forums, and you haven't been funny or intelligent once. Go to hell. The Conduit looks great and it will be a blast to play, and I'm not the only one that thinks so. Just because ignorant, no-brained cockfaced dickcheeses like you  think that a game isn't fun and that you should broadcast this message of Wii hate because you have nothing better to do that day, doesn't mean you should.

Just . . . fuck off. I'm tired of dealing with your pointlessness.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By jakob187
    PureRok said:
    Seriously?  It looks like EARLY PS2 games?  I don't know what EARLY PS2 games you were playing...
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    What FPS ISN'T generic-looking at this point?  It's less about "oh, look at the graphics in the game" and more about "hey, look at the technical achievements we are trying to accomplish on this game to bring a new level of quality to the look of Wii games".  People have bitched time and time again about the Wii's graphical capabilities, and now a company is trying to push some of those boundaries.  What's wrong with that?  I'm more impressed by the level of customization they are offering to players for HUD, controls, and even filters added for effect.  Needless to say, THAT is something far more interesting to be excited about.

Here's what I find amazing:  people praise music that is made with old Atari boards and Game Boys, herald artwork that is made with old and archaic ways, but will shit all over a game if someone tries to push the limitations of dated hardware rather than conforming to the newest and latest standards.

The people that bitch about things like this...it shows the division between gamer culture and people that just play games.
    clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By clarke0
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "..."
    Damn dude, chill out. You're the one who's looking like the asshole talking like that. You might disagree with what he's saying but that doesn't mean you should tell him to fuck off.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HandsomeDead

Thanks for adding fuel to my fire. That's almost as good as BiggerBomb's 9/11 outburst. If you think i'm trolling the Wii forums then I really don't care. I got trolled by Nintendo expecting to have a third good console following from my N64 and GameCube but that never happened and instead you've got people like you buying into this garbage. You can throw around words like 'ignorant' all you want, but having owned every console since the N64, it's not like i'm plucking my opinions out of thin air. I've played FPS' on every platform and The Conduit has already been bettered by things on the 360 and PS3. At this point, I imagine the arguement turns to 'but... but... it's not competing with those consoles', in which case it's you missing out on the good games by picking something which is obviously inferior. And now back to my victory dance.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    clarke0 said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "..."
    Damn dude, chill out. You're the one who's looking like the asshole talking like that. You might disagree with what he's saying but that doesn't mean you should tell him to fuck off."
    I don't care, really. Sorry. HandsomeDead is an asshole. If I end up looking like an asshole, well . . . that's just how it spins. Can't fight it.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HandsomeDead
    jakob187 said:
    "What FPS ISN'T generic-looking at this point?  It's less about "oh, look at the graphics in the game" and more about "hey, look at the technical achievements we are trying to accomplish on this game to bring a new level of quality to the look of Wii games".  People have bitched time and time again about the Wii's graphical capabilities, and now a company is trying to push some of those boundaries.  What's wrong with that?  I'm more impressed by the level of customization they are offering to players for HUD, controls, and even filters added for effect.  Needless to say, THAT is something far more interesting to be excited about.
    Here's what I find amazing:  people praise music that is made with old Atari boards and Game Boys, herald artwork that is made with old and archaic ways, but will shit all over a game if someone tries to push the limitations of dated hardware rather than conforming to the newest and latest standards.

The people that bitch about things like this...it shows the division between gamer culture and people that just play games.
    "
    There's hardly any non-generic FPS games these days, but you don't get people clamoring over the 360 edition of World at War saying how amazing it looks. If The Conduit were being released on any other console, it would be shot down in flames. That's the point i'm trying to make. Also, fine that they're pushing the boundaries, but it is always going to be inferior, so what's the point?

Arkthemaniac said:
    "I don't care, really. Sorry. HandsomeDead is an asshole. If I end up looking like an asshole, well . . . that's just how it spins. Can't fight it."
    Get over yourself.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By jakob187
    HandsomeDead said:
    1.  "There's hardly any non-generic FPS games these days, but you don't get people clamoring over the 360 edition of World at War saying how amazing it looks. 
    2.  "If The Conduit were being released on any other console, it would be shot down in flames. That's the point i'm trying to make."
     3.  "Also, fine that they're pushing the boundaries, but it is always going to be inferior, so what's the point?"
    1.  If you only knew...lol.  I'm in a gaming center all day for five days a week.  What's the most popular question that we get asked?  "Hey, is (insert game name here) any good?"  I then tell them, everytime, "define 'good'".  To this, their next reply is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS "I mean, does it have good graphics and stuff?"  Given that we have about 5,000 people in our logging system...I would give my estimate that about 60-70% of those people are Xbox 360 players...and the two most popular games we have (outside of Halo 3) are Gears of War and World at War...

You want to draw your own conclusions on that, because I did a LONG time ago.  

2.  I don't think that's the point you are trying to make at all, given what I've read from your posts.  You simply feel the need to hate on a console that you don't play.  Fanboys and trolls will do that.  Hell, I do it from time to time.  However, I personally just think it's absurd to come in and bash on the game and/or the company because they want to do something different and test the limitation of this hardware that people say is absolutely incapable of doing the things that...guess what...High Voltage is doing!!!  I admire that they are taking the time to offer some form of a core game, albeit a little generic, to the Wii crowd.  Hopefully, this will show developers who are afraid of taking a risk on the console that you can build a solid FPS and catch the core audience's attention.  If not, well, it was a nice try.

Moreover, I don't think there's anyone on this planet that doesn't know the 360 and PS3 are more powerful than the Wii.

3.  Define "inferior".  You mean it's going to lack in graphical capabilities?  It's already shaping up past anything else on the Wii, and even shaping up past most of the triple A titles from back on Xbox and PS2.  The technical elements alone are impressive for the console it happens to be developed for.  You mean it's going to lack in terms of controls?  If anything, the Wii seems like the logical choice for being able to play an FPS, and with the level of customization that is being offered to gamers for controls, HUD, and almost every aspect of the game (you can even apply or get rid of filters being used), it seems to me like those are features that are vastly ABSENT from most of the games on 360 and PS3.  You know, the games YOU are ballyhooing about are seriously lacking in some of the features that this game is offering on an "inferior" console.  Is it a gimmick?  Maybe.  In the end, however, it's also something that NEEDS to be offered with more than just Wii games.  I would love a much sturdier standard for sensivity settings and controls on FPS games, both console AND PC.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HandsomeDead
    jakob187 said:
    "1.  If you only knew...lol.  I'm in a gaming center all day for five days a week.  What's the most popular question that we get asked?  "Hey, is (insert game name here) any good?"  I then tell them, everytime, "define 'good'".  To this, their next reply is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS "I mean, does it have good graphics and stuff?"  Given that we have about 5,000 people in our logging system...I would give my estimate that about 60-70% of those people are Xbox 360 players...and the two most popular games we have (outside of Halo 3) are Gears of War and World at War...

You want to draw your own conclusions on that, because I did a LONG time ago.  
    "
    Of course you will with Joe Public. But I mean as in forum buzz and in video game media. But if you're saying that people are just drawn to graphics, why would they look to a Wii game? I suppose it's foolish to think that a company shouldn't try to push the graphical power of a console, but without adding a nice art style to he game, the graphics in general look so passe.

jakob187 said:
    "2.  I don't think that's the point you are trying to make at all, given what I've read from your posts.  You simply feel the need to hate on a console that you don't play.  Fanboys and trolls will do that.  Hell, I do it from time to time.  However, I personally just think it's absurd to come in and bash on the game and/or the company because they want to do something different and test the limitation of this hardware that people say is absolutely incapable of doing the things that...guess what...High Voltage is doing!!!  I admire that they are taking the time to offer some form of a core game, albeit a little generic, to the Wii crowd.  Hopefully, this will show developers who are afraid of taking a risk on the console that you can build a solid FPS and catch the core audience's attention.  If not, well, it was a nice try."
    I don't hate it. I hate having a console I would like to play but end up putting back in the box as i'm constantly seeing shit piling up on the shelves in my local HMV and this looks no better than most of that. It both looks like and looks like it plays like an old game and the fact that that is 'admirable' when on the Wii continues to make me look at that platform as incredibly inferior to the Xbox 360 and PS3. It's also nice to think that it'll get developers to consider aiming for the core audience on the Wii, but I don't see why they'd start focusing on that when they already have the core audiences attention elsewhere.

jakob187 said:
    "3.  Define "inferior".  You mean it's going to lack in graphical capabilities?  It's already shaping up past anything else on the Wii, and even shaping up past most of the triple A titles from back on Xbox and PS2.  The technical elements alone are impressive for the console it happens to be developed for.  You mean it's going to lack in terms of controls?  If anything, the Wii seems like the logical choice for being able to play an FPS, and with the level of customization that is being offered to gamers for controls, HUD, and almost every aspect of the game (you can even apply or get rid of filters being used), it seems to me like those are features that are vastly ABSENT from most of the games on 360 and PS3.  You know, the games YOU are ballyhooing about are seriously lacking in some of the features that this game is offering on an "inferior" console.  Is it a gimmick?  Maybe.  In the end, however, it's also something that NEEDS to be offered with more than just Wii games.  I would love a much sturdier standard for sensivity settings and controls on FPS games, both console AND PC."
    Graphics: Last gen. Art direction: Bland. Storyline: Cliche. Gameplay: Waggling. That's what I mean about inferior. Nothing about this game says special or AAA to me. You can say the Wii is a logical choice for FPS games but as of yet, I have just been completely let down and I don't see how this will change anything. For example, when you need to turn 180 degrees, both Red Steel and Metroid Prime 3 absolutely died and I can't see how just changing deadzones and sensitivity will do much to change that. Pointing at the screen does nothing for me when I can just pcik up a pad and have a much better time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.