Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Conduit

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jun 23, 2009

The Conduit is a futuristic first-person shooter developed by High Voltage Software exclusively for the Nintendo Wii. The game makes use of High Voltage Software's proprietary, Wii-specific Quantum3 game engine.

The Conduit to have no cutscenes.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Okay.......you may not realize, but this is HUGE news. Lemme tell you why.

Cutscenes, sorry to tell you, are incredibly outdated. Most big "story" games have figured this out, such as Bioshock, and more notably Half Life. To get the story in the Conduit, you watch and listen to news broadcasts. I assume this will also be a way to get some of your missions.

This shows that The Conduit may be taking influence from people, but they're taking it from Half Life, if anyone. Can anyone say "Finally, an FPS that doesn't try to mirror Halo in every regard."?

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Demyx

I think this is actually a pretty good idea.

I have no problems with the standard cutscenes, at least in RPGs, but after playing Half Life 2 I gotta say the lack of cutscenes is very nice.
    Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Player1

I love cutscenes. With enhanced graphics, they look amazing these days. They give you a nice break, and usually help the story out ALOT. SSBB had some good ones, and gears of war has good ones as well. 

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By brukaoru

I don't mind cut scenes, but I think not having any is a great idea.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Player1 said:
    "I love cutscenes. With enhanced graphics, they look amazing these days. They give you a nice break, and usually help the story out ALOT. SSBB had some good ones, and gears of war has good ones as well. "
    They really take the coherence out of a game for me. Also, it makes the gameplay and the story seem subjugated off from one another, which is counterintuitive.

I also don't really care about teh graphx, which could explain my support of Wii. This new news about the Conduit has me more hyped than when I was a first for the graphics.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By BiggerBomb

Over time I do hope that "cutscenes" will become "seemless-transition-devices." Or STDs. Whatever you think about Asassin's Creed, you have to admit that it is filled with STDs and just seeing one of them makes you want an STD every time. I have this little saying that goes, "Once you have an STD, you can never go back."

Wait a minute....

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Arkthemaniac

^^^^^ uhh, lol.

packster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By packster

I've always liked cutscenes, but we'll have to see how it works out

Elijah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Elijah

I think cutscenes work when they are rendered in-game seamlessly.  When it's a big ol' pre-rendered FMV I think it looks like garbage and really gets rid of any immersion there once was.  I like no cutscenes even better, though.

kadosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kadosho

Ad advent level I have noticed the past few years, is that so many games rely on cutscenes; gameplay takes too much of a backseat. One major thing that bugged me was Devil May Cry 4's cutscenes.. (as much as I enjoy DMC) the cutscenes in 4 ran a bit too long. Something Bru, and myself discussed during our early eps of our DF podcast. But to actually have control of the gameplay during those "moments" would have been astonishing. Seriously why do they always take away our fun, just to show some cutscene?
    Let us go completely "crazy" and let loose, 5-10 of drama or suspense, followed by "now loading" is not what we implied.

Another series that's become to clung onto cutscenes is Sonic. Sonic NG (06') missed the mark, although it was gorgeous (yet translaced with bugs) One too many loading screens, even after talking to NPC's tacked on more waiting. Hopefully Unleashed and Black Knight let go of what NG missed.

But for some games, cutscenes are paradigm, and they further on where a story moves next. Shin Megami Tensei  - to Persona are those that definitely rely on a solid tale. And its something that keeps a player interested, yet not having to "wait" until they can get back into the game. Even some moments in either series, let a player choose freely (sure some american rpgs have the "wait" system, but why make it the entire game?) and then make a move.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pause422

I guess its really going more for the half life kind of story telling...still haven't seen anything in this game that makes it look interesting at all, besides it just generally looking better than every other Wii game currently available. I still think Madworld will be the game to make the biggest impact on the system, way more than this.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187

Um, Dead Space had, like, 3 cutscenes in the entire game.

Far Cry 2 has like no cutscenes.

Everything is in-game.

The Conduit will probably be the same way.

And anyone who thinks that cutscenes are worth something needs to play Dead Rising again.  =  /
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By Willy105

By cutscenes you mean in parts where you have no control to explain the story or parts where it explains the story but you still have control?

If it's the latter, many games have had no cutscenes.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HandsomeDead

I was hoping for some epic Kevin Sorbo cinematics.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By get2sammyb

I think games have finally made the shift to no cutscenes now. Having said that the MGS4 cut scenes were amazing. And you never lost the immersion because the camera would just swing back round. And you're not sure until you move the analogue stick that you're actually meant to be playing because it looks way too good.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pause422

It really depends on the game, and if the cutscenes they do are meaningful and actually good or not...so many games do cutscenes of like, a tiny event that is drawn out to like a minute or two long that isn't showing shit. Those are completely pointless, I think there is definitely still a place for cutscenes, it just depends on the game and how they are being used..but if a game is told completely from first person, and trying to immerse you in that world, I think no cutscenes usually fair better.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Emilio

Yeah, but this method of no cut scenes usually only works with First Person perspective games. Sometimes I'd rather watch a cut scene to understand the story than to actually have to go and read through eight in game books or waiting for some NPC to shut up.
    The good thing about cut scenes is that you have the ability to skip them ( sometimes ) while in games like Half-Life I really wish I could skip some of them just to get back to the action.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pause422

If its on second playthroughs and stuff I completely agree I don't need to see the stuff again, but its not usually that long or a big deal(as far as the half life like no cutscene events) but playing it for the first time..if you want to skip things happening in half life you have some problems :P

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By ZenaxPure
    Emilio said:
    "Yeah, but this method of no cut scenes usually only works with First Person perspective games. Sometimes I'd rather watch a cut scene to understand the story than to actually have to go and read through eight in game books or waiting for some NPC to shut up.
    The good thing about cut scenes is that you have the ability to skip them ( sometimes ) while in games like Half-Life I really wish I could skip some of them just to get back to the action."
    Agreed fully, cutscenes have their place and I like them better in games with a bigger focus on story than others (that however is just a personal thing with me). My big problem with how something like Half-Life gives you to much control at times. While I haven't played HL2 fully so I can't speak really exact with it, from the demo I DLed on XBL I felt I was to in control of things during a cutscene early on in it. There were some people talking and I could obviously move around freely during it and do as I wished. To me that takes away from the story, but then on the other hand I could just sit there and watch it but I find that terribly boring most the time without the dramatic camera angles and such...
    However that example is just a convo between characters, I am not a fan of non controlled scenes of any kind for action sequences. Unless they are over the top and something that would not look as cool if the player were in control (I'm staring at you FF and DMC) players should have control over what is going on during that event.
    ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By ieatlions

didn't bioshock have cut scenes they were just all in engine

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Snail

Then it's just a straight forward shooter?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Snail said:
    "Then it's just a straight forward shooter?"
    Of course not. It's a ground breakingly innovative first person combat experience that will immerse you to the bone. Featuring Kevin Sorbo.
    zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By zityz

Cutscenes are fine, but it really depends on the game. Personally, I enjoy my fps games cutscene free, keeps you in the action.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PureRok
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Snail said:
    Of course not. It's a ground breakingly innovative first person combat experience that will immerse you to the bone. Featuring Kevin Sorbo."
    Kevin Sorbo is the shit!
    Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Tylea002

Cutscenes are awesome, see MGS 4 and DMC 4. However, they can be very draining, and HL2/Portal/Etc found a nice alternative. News channels though... I think exposition network will prove to be more boring than cutscenes. Its a neat idea though, but its all in the execution.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Snail
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Snail said:
    Of course not. It's a ground breakingly innovative first person combat experience that will immerse you to the bone. Featuring Kevin Sorbo."
    Har dee har har.

I thought that it would have some story to it, I never intended to get it anyway.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By vidiot

This is not groundbreaking, it's perfectly acceptable for a shooter to not have cutscenes. To rid off cutscenes entirely is asinine as to advocate them for all story purposes. It's all depends on your situation.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By Claude

I like interactive cutscenes. RE 4 and God of War had some of that and it was cool, everything was big, bad and used quick time events.

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#29  Edited By joey

If you've played half-life you know this is a good idea.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By Meowayne

Shouldn't you be putting that into context? Devs said The Conduit will not have cutscenes, because they do not want the story to "get in the way", and want this to be a run-and-shoot FPS only. They also mentioned story elements that you can read if you want to, but don't have to.

The Conduit will have no cutscenes because it won't have a story. ; )

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By JoelTGM

I wish games wouldn't have cutscenes, and let you do your own thing no matter what.  So there could be a massive spaceship crashing into a building, and you could instead turn around and chase after a bunny rabbit or something.  Some games rely too heavily on cutscenes... like GTA 4...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.