Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Crew

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Dec 02, 2014

A single-player and cooperative driving game that takes place throughout the United States, developed by Ivory Tower.

Duders wanting to play The Crew Beta (PC) together?

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By ESREVER

I didn't want to be the one to make this kind of thread, but since there was no thread of its kind (or any thread at all! Seriously, hows there 0 threads for this game) I figured I'd bite the bullet and start one.

So the PC Closed Beta for The Crew is out and I'm having a pretty good time. You know what would make it an even better time? Making a car gang with like minded duders.

I guess just post your Uplay (yes, I know) name if you have the beta and want some people to play with.

I'll Start, my Uplay ID is MaceXx. Feel free to add me!

GB NameUPlay ID
    ESREVERMaceXx
    ZellaZacBroski
    JigglePhysxPughgo
    TheFakePsychicTheFakePsychic
    marcmann2marcmann2
    AviarAviar_Amidar
    DandyShlongLegsajcarpenter
    Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Zella

If I could ever get the game to work with a controller I would play.

UPlay is ZacBroski

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zella: Are you having difficulties playing it on a 360 controller? I've been using a DS3 and have had zero issues so far. (Not that I think there would be an advantage with playing on a DS3)

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@esrever: Trying with a DS4 actually. Haven't tried using my 360 controller yet. The controller is recognized but when having to manually set all the mappings it either won't recognize inputs or misread inputs. Another weird issue is that I will set turn left to left stick to the left and it will accept it, then after saving it drops the mapping.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Did they already release the beta keys? I didn't get one. =(

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zella: Ah, I haven't tried setting up my DS4 for PC yet. There has been a lot quirky "beta" shenanigans on my end gameplay wise. Took me numerous tries to get my car customized without getting an error message and being returned to the frontend. There was also a mission that didn't trigger the end properly when I played in coop.

But thats beta stuff and will probably be ironed out in time. Overall its been a positive experience and looking forward to playing with more people.

@andorski said:

Yea, keys for the first PC Closed Beta have been sent out. Not sure if they're handing out more for this phase over the next couple of days. Sorry you didn't get one yet :/

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have it kind of working, using DS4 to XInput Mapper 1.2.2, if I hide the DS4 controller then it kind of works but reads all the inputs as the wrong buttons. So I can drive around kind of but most stuff still doesn't work. If I don't hide the DS4 then the inputs are mostly mapped correctly, except for it not registering right stick to the right, but it won't let me turn left...which is kind of essential. Looking around the forums for the game it seems multiple people are having control issues with gamepads and wheels.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well thats gonna wrap up my session for the day/night. Hit Lvl 10 which seems to be the lvl cap for the beta and did all the story missions in the midwest region. Drove to New York and upgraded to a dirt kit and then drooled over the cars I can't buy yet (but test drove them anyway). Looking forward to doing some of the pvp stuff with you guys maybe.

Doesn't seem like a lot of interest for this game which is crazy to me cause I've been having a blast. Feels like a combination of Burnout Paradise, Smuggler's Run, and Driver San Francisco.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

They should have done an open beta or at the very least sent out a lot more codes because they haven't done a very good job of showing what the game is other than "You can drive across the entirety of the US with your friends" which isn't very fun.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@andorski said:

Yeah noone I know has got one yet either. Probably why there isn't any buzz about this game (or any threads).

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By Humanity

@bollard said:

@andorski said:

Yeah noone I know has got one yet either. Probably why there isn't any buzz about this game (or any threads).

Yah bummer I didn't get one either and I signed up ages ago. Sucks cause I am genuinely excited about this game and thought that having dumped some money into the Uplay ecosystem would at least make me seem like a fairly eligible recipient - unless they just randomly send them.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So how horribly optimized for pc will this be?

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess they are still sending out keys. I just got mine.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zella

@ripelivejam: I actually find it runs surprisingly well on my laptop card, GTX760m. Mind you the beta is capped at 30 fps, and in my opinion doesn''t look all too amazing.

I finally got my DS4 to work by plugging in my 360 controller and setting up the controls with it then switching over to the DS4. I have mixed thoughts about the game, mainly when it comes to the physics and feel of the driving. I will say god damn the currency is dumb, I seriously laughed out loud when I saw that "Bucks" were the currency.

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By UncleDisco

@zella: Got the same problem you had with your 360 controller. Have to manually set it up, and it just won't save the "turn left" and "turn right" mapping.

jigglephysx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey got into the beta as well. Pughgo on Uplay if anyone wants to add me.

Also wondering what platform you guys are thinking of getting the game on?

Was thinking either PS4 or XOne personally. Beta isn't running too great on my PC.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Ubisoft said that they moved the beta up 2 days so it'd run from Monday - Friday but I feel like that was more to do with giving media more time to cover the game and now I'm seeing that today (the original date), more people are now getting keys. Even yesterday they seemed like a rare commodity.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i got banned from Uplay, sorry :(

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrcraggle: Yea, and they also just straight up removed the NDA. Seems like they're realizing their mistake for the most part.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just got a beta code and started to play it, but how the hell do you use a controller with it? Turning straight up doesn't work.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ESREVER
    Necrotron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Necrotron

Tried launching the game with only a 360 controller plugged in and it would not work within the game although it recognized it. Tried again with only an Xbox One controller to no avail. It recognizes that either controller is plugged in and will pop up an alert if you unplug them, but they're not autmatically mapped to any controls in game.

Not really sure what is going on with their automatic detection of controllers, but not really feeling like putting in the effort to map every single key to a controller just to play the beta.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tried launching the game with only a 360 controller plugged in and it would not work within the game although it recognized it. Tried again with only an Xbox One controller to no avail. It recognizes that either controller is plugged in and will pop up an alert if you unplug them, but they're not autmatically mapped to any controls in game.

Not really sure what is going on with their automatic detection of controllers, but not really feeling like putting in the effort to map every single key to a controller just to play the beta.

Even if you do map them the left stick doesn't work. It's kind of awful.

lun49gameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far after seeing this game in action on giantbomb Im really looking forward to this game. The same thing happened with destiny, I finally see what these games are really about and Im 100% going to buy them. The Crew reminds me of a much better and funner version of the Need for Speed mmo with its own ideas like the under the hood customization. I had a question regarding the customization of the cars, is it close to the type of part changing that Need for speed underground had? I always like when racings games have millions of parts you can change, so if that is the case then ill be super happy and ready for this game!

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I really wanted to check this out but I did't get a code :( After seeing the QL I'm probably gonna buy it anyway.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Corevi
    @lun49gameon said:

I had a question regarding the customization of the cars, is it close to the type of part changing that Need for speed underground had? I always like when racings games have millions of parts you can change, so if that is the case then ill be super happy and ready for this game!

It's just you level up and get new parts that are objectively better as you do stuff, there's not 5 different parts in each section each with their own pros and cons.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Finally got a chance to play this last night despite having to download it twice. No controller problems.

Seems pretty fun. A good take on a dynamic, open world driving game. The physics on the cars are on the heavier side but that only makes you appreciate it in the long run. The small stuff you can do on the roads between missions are fun distractions from point A to B although they could be a bit more frequent. The jump one especially seems like it needs a better indicator where the ramp actually is before you hit the gate.

The few racing missions I tried were fun enough and challenging. The world itself is.. close enough.. I went to New York and well it's a very comical rendition of Manhattan and I didn't really recognize Queens at all. I didn't check to see if the globe was there in Flushing Meadows park. Still it's nice that you can literally drive from one place to another and it seems like a semi-meaningful transition.

Haven't tried any of the social stuff but muting people is easy so props for that. The moment I drove within range of other human players I was blasted by a wall of static, a crying baby in the background and a snobby voice declaring "it's not 60 but it's playable.." at which point I quickly began muting everyone.

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By slowbird

I just want to get the Ford GT and put Raid parts on it. That may not be possible in the beta but I hope it is when the finished game comes out.

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@corruptedevil: @necrotron:
    So mine used to do that, as I stated above. I did however figure out, that if you disconnect the controller and reconnect it while in game, it will map the controller to the proper controls. Left stick included.
    Try that out. It might work.

TheFakePsychic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

As soon as the download finishes I'm definitely going to check this out. Definitely a thing that I've been interested in since they announced it around a year ago.

My uPlay ID is TheFakePsychic.

erbarad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to play but I've got no beta keys :(

marcmann2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

uPlay ID is marcmann2

Been having fun with this once I got my DS4 actually working.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By bigjeffrey

got my key and started downloading, will play later today. hope my xone controller works w/ it.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Aviar

Been playing the beta all week. So far I am really enjoying the game. I haven't had any issues with using a 360 controller with the game. I have noticed that the game does stutter occasionally and then completely crash on me. Also the audio in the game really needs to be adjusted and the sounds levels worked on. Through my 5.1 speakers, I can't hear the horn at all and I have to crank the volume up to hear anything. Through my Astro A50's everything sounds perfect though so it's pretty weird.

My Uplay ID is:

Aviar_Amidar

Avatar image for dandyshlonglegs
    dandyshlonglegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#35  Edited By dandyshlonglegs

I'm enjoying this game quite a bit.

Uplay ID: ajcarpenter

TheFakePsychic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I spent a good majority of today driving around "The South", being a resident of there and... I'm going to echo the sentiment of "Eh. Close enough?" The feeling of each locale seems fine enough (Tennessee should be more mountainous as you head east, though), but... Nashville is nowhere near big enough, nor does Nashville have an oil refinery, as far as I'm aware. When I drove into Dallas it seemed more like Nashville than their Nashville. Additionally, the national laboratory located in "Space Industries" (Presumably Huntsville, AL) seems way more like the Y-12/ORNL/formerly K-25 area of Oak Ridge, although that may just be me projecting a little. Also the Carolinas and Georgia seem to be non existent, as Florida stretches up to Virginia.

I got really kind of excited when I found what really looked like Barnegat Lighthouse in an area that, based on how fudged the geography was anyway, could have potentially been New Jersey, but then I saw it again when I went to Key West so that excitement deflated a little.

Southern geography nitpicks aside, I am actually really enjoying this game a lot. Once I got out of muscle cars, the driving felt great, and I did spend some time just cruising from Key West to Seattle, taking in the sights. It's a great world they've built, geographically accurate or not, and I'd love to just spend some time just... driving.

SleazyWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was surprised how much I enjoyed the beta. The open world, despite it being a sometimes odd approximation, was cool and fun to just cruise around in. Some of the missions and story we're a little uninteresting to me. However the driving and customization of the cars was good. Racing with the boost trying to avoid crunching into cars reminded me of Burnout sometimes. Overall I think I'll check this out more at some point.

wokoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey duders, I got some extra The Crew beta keys, hopefully somebody will make use of them:

• 3VTF-DX4N-D3JL-K6U3
    • ERRL-4C6M-WX3M-Y9L3
    • 7LWY-8G8V-VV3A-3G33
    Veyrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wokoman:

I used ERRL-4C6M-WX3M-Y9L3.

Thank you.

Avatar image for alexander_knitschke98
    alexander_knitschke98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone one else having trouble leveling up from 10, it seems to be the cap but the next mission is for level 11? anyone?

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
    deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wokoman: Cheers for the key, just used

• 7LWY-8G8V-VV3A-3G33

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.