Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Crew

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Dec 02, 2014

A single-player and cooperative driving game that takes place throughout the United States, developed by Ivory Tower.

Is the open world alone worth a purchase?

TheGanjaKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheGanjaKing

Good day dear readers,

It is no secret here in the Great Neo-Ganja Empire that the Ganja King's favored genre is the open-world, I mean, was there ever a genre so well-fit for our most sacred of traditions? I've been hearing a lot about this game and the one positive thing I've heard is that the world is gorgeous and expansive, and this excites me, the Ganja King. What does not excite me though is basically everything else: the story, the racing, the online, the micro-transactions, the lack of smoke pillowing from windows.

No Caption Provided

So my question to those who have played the game is whether or not you can play by mostly avoiding those less desirable features. I just want to cruise the USA y'all.

-So says the Ganja King, in the year 420 of the Great Neo-Ganja Empire, 666th year of Burn's Sleep

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Im pretty sure you can just cruise around if that your thing. We have a saying here that goes "Dont ride the GDG when you can take LSD", makes no sense if you dont know what the GDG is ofc.

meatsofevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Short answer is no.

Long answer is maybe. I would say that the world is actually pretty fun, and hell of cool to drive in. That being said, If you were to only cruise around the map it would incredibly painful and annoying with the starting car, and being at level 1. In order to actually have fun roaming the map, I would say you would have to be at least level 30. That way you would have unlocked all the car kits (except Circuit I think) that are important to exploring. You will have also acquired gear to make your cars control better, and feel less like fucking awful garbage like the level 1 cars do. Though you might think that you could just do skill stuff on the road to level up, it is not that easy. Let's just leave it at this: in order to have a good time with this game, you HAVE to slog through the horrible shit show that is the "story", at least enough to get you the right stuff to make driving in this game fun. (which it absolutely is*)

*with a level 700+ vehicle

Some context: I have put an amount of hours into the game (I'm not sure how many because i don't know how to check. Let's put it at around ~20+ hours) I am a max level driver (lvl. 50) and have all 5 car specs at lvl. 800+ (with a lvl. ~1000 Dirt spec) The driving and racing is fun as hell. The "pvp" races are actually totally fucking rad, but in order to have that fun (and compete) you MUST be at least level 900 in whatever car you are using. Exploring the world is really cool, but at a certain point you just don't need/want to, and just fast travel everywhere. It isn't like skyrim where you fast travel to a location. If you have a part of the map revealed you can just warp to a specific spot, it's pretty fuckin' dumb and just leads to you not driving at all.

There is plenty more i could say, and go into detail about, but suffice it to say that this game is fun, but is saddled with horrible mission design and a terrible first impression. Also, the "Crew" aspect of the game is fucking meaningless. Also, FUCK TAKE DOWN THE TARGET MISSIONS, AND ESCAPE THE COPS MISSIONS!

Man, what a bummer.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

Forza Horizon 2 might be more your style if you just wanna drive around. It does not involve cruisin' the USA though.

TheGanjaKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheGanjaKing

@meatsofevil: Sir, thank you. That was an extremely thorough answer and it really helped me out. It is a bummer, agreed.

meatsofevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theganjaking: yeah dude, anything to help people understand what EXACTLY is fucked about that game. I think I might actually write something up about it because man...

SJQPersonal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SJQPersonal

@meatsofevil: Do it, man. People really appreciate feedback about purchases. I got a lot of positive conversation out of a post to the F1 2014 forum.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.