2K Announces The Darkness II For Fall

• 127 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Dark Sector developer Digital Extremes is hard at work on The Darkness II, publisher 2K Games revealed this morning. The brand new installment in the series, which will see a return of the original game’s quad-fisted action and light versus dark themes, is slated to hit later this Fall 2011 for the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC.

2K isn’t putting a lot of information out there this morning, but it did confirm that The Darkness II will be based on the Top Cow comic book series just like the original games was. Also, it'll feature a narrative penned by Paul Jenkins, writer of The Darkness - Volume 1, so no worries on the fiction front. 

== TEASER ==2K blasted out a little sampling of what to expect from this game's plot, which, once again, will see Jackie Estacado grappling with the strange forces of The Darkness after violence triggers his weird demon-snake powers. Interestingly, it looks like the story will revolve around Jackie's exploration of the motivations and the powers of the Darkness, as opposed to his raw desire to get revenge after someone close to him was killed the last time around.

It’s been two years since Jackie Estacado, now the Don of the Franchetti crime family, used The Darkness to kill the men responsible for his girlfriend’s murder. He’s been unable to shake the memory of Jenny’s death since bottling up his supernatural power, and now The Darkness wants out. 

A sudden, unprovoked attack on Jackie’s life heralds the start of a full-scale mob war, which has clearly been orchestrated by some outside force. The botched attempt opens the door for The Darkness to reemerge, and sets Jackie on a journey to hell and worse, as he unravels the mystery behind the attack and the motivations of The Darkness itself.

“Yeah, call me biased, but this second installment of Jackie Estacado’s epic saga is--in my humble opinion--one of the most brutally cool games I’ve ever played,” co-creator of The Darkness comics Marc Silvestri said in a statement. “2K Games hammered this one out of the park.”

No word on other details, but take note of the Xbox Live and PSN logos on the game’s new official Web site. The first game had competitive multiplayer and it looks like The Darkness II will follow suit.     
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Dark Sector developer Digital Extremes is hard at work on The Darkness II, publisher 2K Games revealed this morning. The brand new installment in the series, which will see a return of the original game’s quad-fisted action and light versus dark themes, is slated to hit later this Fall 2011 for the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC.

2K isn’t putting a lot of information out there this morning, but it did confirm that The Darkness II will be based on the Top Cow comic book series just like the original games was. Also, it'll feature a narrative penned by Paul Jenkins, writer of The Darkness - Volume 1, so no worries on the fiction front. 

== TEASER ==2K blasted out a little sampling of what to expect from this game's plot, which, once again, will see Jackie Estacado grappling with the strange forces of The Darkness after violence triggers his weird demon-snake powers. Interestingly, it looks like the story will revolve around Jackie's exploration of the motivations and the powers of the Darkness, as opposed to his raw desire to get revenge after someone close to him was killed the last time around.

It’s been two years since Jackie Estacado, now the Don of the Franchetti crime family, used The Darkness to kill the men responsible for his girlfriend’s murder. He’s been unable to shake the memory of Jenny’s death since bottling up his supernatural power, and now The Darkness wants out. 

A sudden, unprovoked attack on Jackie’s life heralds the start of a full-scale mob war, which has clearly been orchestrated by some outside force. The botched attempt opens the door for The Darkness to reemerge, and sets Jackie on a journey to hell and worse, as he unravels the mystery behind the attack and the motivations of The Darkness itself.

“Yeah, call me biased, but this second installment of Jackie Estacado’s epic saga is--in my humble opinion--one of the most brutally cool games I’ve ever played,” co-creator of The Darkness comics Marc Silvestri said in a statement. “2K Games hammered this one out of the park.”

No word on other details, but take note of the Xbox Live and PSN logos on the game’s new official Web site. The first game had competitive multiplayer and it looks like The Darkness II will follow suit.     
#2 Posted by benjaebe (2784 posts) -

Can't wait, but not too happy that it looks kind of cell shaded.

#3 Edited by X19 (2306 posts) -

I enjoyed the first one. 

#4 Posted by Yummylee (22506 posts) -

Just bought me the original The Darkness game and looking forward to it! 

#5 Posted by Delta_Ass (3282 posts) -

I always wondered why Jackie in the video game didn't look like Jackie in the comic book.

#6 Posted by JustinSane311 (335 posts) -

Great news.  The Darkness was a really fun, Hope Mike Patton reprises his role

#7 Posted by LackLuster (748 posts) -

I really really like the first

#8 Posted by wrecks (2317 posts) -

Good news! I could go for some more Creeping Dark action.  

#9 Posted by Robitt (351 posts) -

New developer? Developer of Dark Sector? Color me skeptical.

#10 Posted by VicRattlehead (1400 posts) -

pitty they couldn't have gotten phil hester on board to pen the story...

#11 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2730 posts) -

Starbreeze isn't developing this? No thanks.

#12 Posted by SomeJerk (3388 posts) -

Oh, it's not "I believe in a thing called luuuurve~" Darkness :(

#13 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

Fantastic.

#14 Posted by SirDancealot (22 posts) -
@benjaebe: Cell shaded? Really? I don't think it looks cell shaded : /
#15 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4873 posts) -

On the one hand, happy to see The Darkness get another shake. Back in '07 it was one of the best games I played that year. On the other hand, Starbreeze isn't making this, so I'm skeptical. 

Especially after Dark Sector. That shit was so bad.

#16 Posted by Toxin066 (3326 posts) -
@KingWilly said:
" On the one hand, happy to see The Darkness get another shake. Back in '07 it was one of the best games I played that year. On the other hand, Starbreeze isn't making this, so I'm skeptical.  Especially after Dark Sector. That shit was so bad. "
My sentiments exactly.
#17 Edited by benjaebe (2784 posts) -
@SirDancealot said:

" @benjaebe: Cell shaded? Really? I don't think it looks cell shaded : / "

If you get a full-res version you can see a black outline around the people and objects. It just ends up looking sort of cellshaded to me.
See HERE

#18 Posted by Jeffsekai (7052 posts) -

YEAAAAA LONDON WOOOOO

#19 Posted by darkvare (780 posts) -

i wanna see jackies suit from the comics and darklings that look like thosse in the comics

#20 Posted by DT9k (135 posts) -

I'm worried about the dev switch, but hyped up for further info. The Darkness was dooooope

#21 Posted by Aetheldod (3702 posts) -

Meh , never licked the first game as much , too generic (even if you had the darkness powers)

#22 Posted by EgoCheck616 (782 posts) -
@Robitt said:
" New developer? Developer of Dark Sector? Color me skeptical. "
New developer? Developer of Dark Sector? Color me interested.
#23 Posted by EvilKatarn (465 posts) -
@BulletproofMonk said:
" Starbreeze isn't developing this? No thanks. "
This threw me off too. The detail in the first Darkness was imaculate and astonishing, really. 
The detail in Dark Sector is in fact nonexistant. 
#24 Posted by EpicSteve (6498 posts) -

I really enjoyed the first game. 

#25 Posted by HyperionXR (278 posts) -

OH yes... I didn't expect this would come! The Darkness was a personal favorite for me. Here's to it being outstanding, AND to Starbreeze hopefully making another Riddick! *fingers crossed*

#26 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1789 posts) -

I thought Dark Sector was a serviceable game. The first half was actually good it's just the second half was fucking work to get through. I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully they can get the shooting better than Starbreeze. That was never their strong suit.

#27 Posted by Tordah (2487 posts) -

I still have the first game sitting on my shelf. I promise I'll play it one day.

#28 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5293 posts) -

Sweet just bought the first one for 3 dollars! Maybe it's time I check it out.

#29 Edited by zaglis (910 posts) -

The Darkness 2 - FUCK YES
Digital Extremes - Dude NO.

...but I enjoyed Dark Sector. I finished the game 2 times. One time on Xbox 360, the second time on the PC

#30 Posted by MetalGearGeorge (214 posts) -

Marc Silvestri is excited about this game => I am excited about this game. The first game was really good and as a Darkness fan i can't wait till the next one.

#31 Posted by buft (3320 posts) -

no way! the first one was pretty solid from what I hear.

#32 Posted by cikame (1073 posts) -

I liked Dark Sector alot so i'll give them the benefit of the doubt, my problem is Starbreeze games had a certain feel to them no other games shared so it's definately going to feel different... and by that i mean, like alot of other games.
The voice acting and lip sync was phenominal in Dark Athena i doubt Digital Extremes can match it.
At least Jackie is in it, hopefully with his trenchcoat, though i don't see how they can continue after the very definitive ending in the first.

#33 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Magic glaive and pinball minigame confirmed.

#34 Posted by Soap (3639 posts) -

This was a big surprise for me, didn't think this game would ever get a sequel..... or need one. 

#35 Posted by Little_Socrates (5711 posts) -

All I'd like to know is whether or not this game will really require having played the first.

#36 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

What a horrible promotional screenshot. Other than that, mega hype.

#37 Posted by ZipCrash (175 posts) -

This news pleases me greatly. I'm one of the few that loved the first game.

#38 Posted by shinluis (432 posts) -
@Little_Socrates said:
" All I'd like to know is whether or not this game will really require having played the first. "
If you like sweet games with some damn nice storylines you are automatically required to play the first.
#39 Posted by Little_Socrates (5711 posts) -
@shinluis said:
" @Little_Socrates said:
" All I'd like to know is whether or not this game will really require having played the first. "
If you like sweet games with some damn nice storylines you are automatically required to play the first. "
Is the story that good? I played the demo and it was pretty janky...and the main character's got zero appeal from that demo for me. 

I suppose that game is probably like $5.00 now, so I might get it anyways.
#40 Posted by Beauty (58 posts) -

Charlie Murphaaa!!!!

#41 Posted by Solh0und (1846 posts) -
Darrkness! I thought the game was ok though...but the multiplayer sucked balls.
#42 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -

I really liked the first game, it had some great imagery (if maybe a tad contrived) and one of my favourite character deaths in terms of emotional resonance. 
That said, the shooting was kinda bad at some points.
#43 Posted by jrodrz (159 posts) -

YES YES YES!!!

#44 Posted by WorldDude (93 posts) -

I really didn't like The Darkness much at all. Aside from the story it really had nothing going for it. I'll give this one a try sometime, but I can only hope it improves upon the incredibly bland gameplay from the first.

#45 Posted by Ghost_of_Perdition (735 posts) -

My initial reaction was HOLY FUCKING SHIIIT. I loved The Darkness and I hope MIke Patton returns as the voice of the Darkness. That said, seeing Digital Extremes developing this has me second guessing this.

#46 Posted by Notyourlogic (2 posts) -

Been waiting a long time for this game. 

#47 Posted by shinluis (432 posts) -
@Little_Socrates: It's one of the best of the PS3 IMO. I'm pretty sure you'll like it =)
#48 Posted by MechaEspio (40 posts) -

Hell effing yes!!! The first was legitimately scary at times and genuinely fun to play. I have been praying for a sequel. This news made my day.

#49 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

First game was one-of-a-kind. Remember hearing rumors about this sequel months and months ago. So glad they were true.    

#50 Posted by SirDancealot (22 posts) -
@benjaebe: Yeah, I guess you're right! Sorta' like a Borderlands-esque look to it, but it might not be the final version, so one can hope!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.