2K Announces The Darkness II For Fall

• 126 results
#51 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

Two words:  FUCK YES!

One of the best comics out there.

#52 Posted by wickedsc3 (1046 posts) -

Cool, i found the darkness a pretty good game.  I could defiantly play some more darkness.

#53 Posted by big_jon (5709 posts) -

Sweet.

#54 Posted by RobertOrri (1120 posts) -

The first The Darkness was awesome.

But holy fuck is Digital Extremes a bad choice. Dark Sector was horrendous!

#55 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

The first one was awesome, pretty happy to hear about this.

#56 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

And the award for most unearned sequel goes to... 

#57 Posted by Hamst3r (4450 posts) -

Weird. I wonder if they'll eventually get the first one onto PC, as it's odd to get the sequel without the original.

#58 Posted by swomar (62 posts) -
@WorldDude said:
" I really didn't like The Darkness much at all. Aside from the story it really had nothing going for it. I'll give this one a try sometime, but I can only hope it improves upon the incredibly bland gameplay from the first. "
I would really love to live in the same world as you, where games are so amazing that The Darkness' gameplay is so "incredibly bland" in comparison. But until then, I'll be stuck in reality.
#59 Posted by brokenpilot (67 posts) -
@RobertOrri said:
" The first The Darkness was awesome.  But holy fuck is Digital Extremes a bad choice. Dark Sector was horrendous! "
As someone who played through the entire dark sector I really never understood all the disdain for that game. While it's not an amazing mind blowing triple a game its far from horrendous and had a few unique things about it.
#60 Posted by SirThirdFilms (166 posts) -

My interest starts with Mike Patton. If he is not voicing Darkness I shant be bothered.

Saying that, I really enjoyed the first one

#61 Edited by dvorak (1496 posts) -

The first one had a lot of style and seemed a bit ahead of it's time. I really enjoyed it.

Also, if Starbreeze didn't make this game what happened to them? Where are they?

#62 Posted by G24S (281 posts) -

I've read Starbreeze's busy with the Syndicate game and if that's the case, good for them! Didn't they lay off some people?

#63 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1577 posts) -
@Napalm said:
"And the award for most unearned sequel goes to...  "

Call Of Juarez!
#64 Posted by G0rd0nFr33m4n (762 posts) -
@Napalm said:
" And the award for most unearned sequel goes to...  "
the call of jaurez game they just announced... asshole. 
#65 Posted by EpsilonSE (176 posts) -

I loved the first Darkness. Gameplay was fine. The story was well developed over the long run, and the whole creepy version of hell you go through is awesome. It's the story, the art, the plot, the characters, and the demonic powers that did it for me. Two things that didn't do it for me:

1:    The demonic gun power that you got late game was a lazy cop out, compared to minions, tentacles, and a vortex. 
2:    My left side demon tentacle never got to eat any hearts! He always looked clean and sad whenever righty was devouring one. Sometimes righty even stole hearts from lefty! Why can't you just share with lefty dammit!

#66 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

Quite a surprising sequel-I hadn't played The Darkness, and, although critical acclaim was good, I thought it'd be one of those games that nobody would care about after 2 years ago. Still, hope it's good.

#67 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2209 posts) -

Loved the first game, shame Starbreeze aren't handling it but at least the story is being handled by somebody with experience in this series. Here's hoping Digital Extremes can redeem themselves with this sequel after the disappointing Dark Sector. 

#68 Posted by Lukeweizer (2606 posts) -

Someone directly related to the product said it's amazing? It must be true!

#69 Posted by HadesTimes (802 posts) -

Just as long as we aren't killing mobsters the WHOLE game, it might be good.

#70 Posted by KevinMerrill (32 posts) -
@Lukeweizer said:

" Someone directly related to the product said it's amazing? It must be true! "

" “Yeah, call me biased, but this second installment of Jackie Estacado’s epic saga is--in my humble opinion--one of the most brutally cool games I’ve ever played,” co-creator of The Darkness comics Marc Silvestri said in a statement. “2K Games hammered this one out of the park.” 

" “Yeah, call me biased,  
 " “Yeah, call me biased, 
 " “Yeah, call me biased, 
 " “Yeah, call me biased, 
 " “Yeah, call me biased, 
 " “Yeah, call me biased, 
 " “Yeah, call me biased, 
 " “Yeah, call me biased, 
 " “Yeah, call me biased, 

...just saying. 
#71 Posted by Nasar7 (2598 posts) -

Cool. The first game was an unexpected pleasure although it was worth little more than a rental. Wonder if they're gonna try for a multiplayer mode again.

#72 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@G0rd0nFr33m4n said:
" @Napalm said:
" And the award for most unearned sequel goes to...  "
the darkness II game they just announced.  "
I know! That's what I am saying.
#73 Posted by BABS (75 posts) -
@WorldDude said:
" I really didn't like The Darkness much at all. Aside from the story it really had nothing going for it. I'll give this one a try sometime, but I can only hope it improves upon the incredibly bland gameplay from the first. "
I didn't like the first game either.
#74 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1692 posts) -

Love the first Darkness. I should replay that this year before this one comes out. I really wish Starbreeze was developing it, though. That said, Dark Sector wasn't really a bad game, and since this game obviously isn't going through the development hell that Dark Sector went through, I think Digital Extremes can pull it off.

#75 Posted by ShadzKing (85 posts) -

Great news. There was a lot of potential in the first game. Hopefully, the sequel can promote more of it.

#76 Posted by Brodehouse (9576 posts) -

All I know about the Darkness is Jeff saying "RGHOW I'M SWINGIN'!"

#77 Posted by apoloimagod (117 posts) -

Best news of the day! Must play on day one! :-)

#78 Posted by apoloimagod (117 posts) -

Best news of the day! Must play on day one! :-)

#79 Posted by nick_verissimo (1380 posts) -
@Aetheldod said:
" Meh , never licked the first game as much , too generic (even if you had the darkness powers) "
Same. I thought I was going crazy based on all of the people in the comments that said they really liked the first.
#80 Posted by Floppypants (798 posts) -

I thoroughly enjoyed the first Darkness game.  It had flaws, but the pros definitely outweighed the cons.  One of my top 10 games of 2007 for sure.

Too bad this isn't being developed by Starbreeze.  I'm not expecting much from Digital Extremes.

#81 Posted by MrCellophane (524 posts) -
@Robitt said:
" New developer? Developer of Dark Sector? Color me skeptical. "
QFT

Also, I miss Jenny :'(
#82 Posted by Rorie (2676 posts) -

Wonder if this will be ridiculously easy like the first game. As I recall, you could go through headshotting everyone with the pistols and barely ever use your powers.

Staff
#83 Posted by floodiastus (1262 posts) -

Liked the mood in the first one, subway, tvspots, random people although the action itself was pretty lame. It had that Max Payne kind of scandinavian view of america... that shit is dope ;)

#84 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2479 posts) -
#85 Posted by Xshinobi (372 posts) -

I was really excited. Until I found out that it is being made by Digital Extremes.    

#86 Posted by scottygrayskull (432 posts) -

So this'll be the... 5th 6th and 7th times he dies?

#87 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2224 posts) -

I LOVED the first game. Its a different developer, I'm ok with that, even though I love Starbreeze. As long as the story is as gripping and awesome as the first game's story was. And its weird, the engine looks the same, even though Digital Extremes has their own engine. 

#88 Posted by fraser (478 posts) -

Surprising/awesome news! Hated the first one for a while, left it, came back to it a year later and now hold incredibly fond memories of it.

Though I'd appreciate less nazi zombies this time round.

#89 Posted by Drace (164 posts) -

Well that's a pleasant surprise 

#90 Posted by Lingxor (422 posts) -

EXCELLENT

#91 Posted by UsbCable (235 posts) -

I loved the first so I look forward to seeing what they do with 2.

#92 Posted by Nightfang (376 posts) -

I loved the first game, so i'll probably like this one too.

#93 Posted by Laughlin_12 (127 posts) -

Fuck. Yes. I loved the first

#94 Posted by MrKlorox (11205 posts) -

Meh. Would rather have info on Starbreeze's Project Red Lime. That's still alive, right?

#95 Posted by takua108 (1478 posts) -

This is kind of odd, as I always mixed The Darkness and Dark Sector up.

#96 Posted by Castiel (2528 posts) -
@takua108 said:
" This is kind of odd, as I always mixed The Darkness and Dark Sector up. "
How is that even possible? 

XD
#97 Posted by takua108 (1478 posts) -
@Castiel: Both games claim to contain negligible amounts of light?
#98 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

PSYCHED!  I'm worried about Digital Extremes being on the project, as they don't have the greatest of track records.  Suffice it to say, the first game's overall gameplay was pretty stiff, but that's not why people played it.  You played the first game because the story, narrative, and characterization were fucking PHENOMENAL, and the twist mid-game was goddamn brutal and emotionally charge.

Here's to hoping for a bomb-ass game.

#99 Posted by Erebus (52 posts) -

"Also, it'll feature a narrative penned by Paul Jenkins, writer of The Darkness - Volume 1, so no worries on the fiction front. "

Jenkins penned most of Vol 2. Didn't have anything to do with Vol 1 (except issue 40 I think).

Just saying..

#100 Posted by JeanLuc (3571 posts) -

Sick I loved the first Darkness.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.