E3 2011: Darkness II Interview

• 58 results
#1 Edited by iAmJohn (6091 posts) -

WHO IS TOM GALT?!

#2 Posted by Seraphim84 (400 posts) -

@iAmJohn: Damn, just what I was thinking.

#3 Posted by Chemin (630 posts) -

E3 is probably the only time interviews are interesting, for some odd reason. For me that is. I guess the games usually are more interesting to get a first glance at.

#4 Posted by sixghost (1679 posts) -

The Darkness 1 had one of the best stories ever in a video game? Slow down buddy.

#5 Posted by iAmJohn (6091 posts) -

@sixghost said:

The Darkness 1 had one of the best stories ever in a video game? Slow down buddy.

Don't be fronting. The Darkness is nothing short of fantastic.

#6 Posted by Jeffsekai (7017 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@sixghost said:

Yea the first game had an amazing story, and actually made an effort to make you care about the characters.

#7 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:

@sixghost said:

Word.  I know I still think about The Darkness when it comes to great characterization and immersive story in video games.  It was just that good.
#8 Posted by Ferros (217 posts) -

Looks like Tom's been relying on the methamphetamine to get through E3

#9 Edited by Lrawrl (5 posts) -

I never heard of the first one before this vid. is it worth going back to and playing? this game seems promising.

#10 Posted by csl316 (7384 posts) -

@Jeffsekai said:

@iAmJohn said:

@sixghost said:

Yea the first game had an amazing story, and actually made an effort to make you care about the characters.

Indeed. And Uncle Paulie... one of the few times in games where I NEEDED the bad guy to die.

#11 Posted by ZGoon (215 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:

WHO IS TOM GALT?!

Why is this in my memory? What is it from?
#12 Posted by Chemin (630 posts) -

@sixghost: I recall him saying it was one of the best that he had ever played. That we don't know what games he has played makes a big difference there. But, as many already stated; The Darkness did have a great story, and characterization - at least from my perspective. And especially for an FPS.

#13 Posted by popmasterruler (570 posts) -

So you're just going to ignore the elephant in the room Ryan?Come on man,you should've asked about the voice actor for Jackie.A lot of people are upset that they didn't get Kirk Acevedo back from the first game yet they somehow got back the voice actors who played The Darkness and Jenny from the first game respectively.People are upset that it's Nolan North playing Jackie.We need answers from Digital Extremes about this.

#14 Posted by Luck3ySe7en (240 posts) -

I had a hard time getting into the first Darkness. Maybe that's because the actual gameplay was starting to show its age a year ago when I got a chance to play. I kind of wish I would've picked it up at release day

#15 Posted by Gabriel (4050 posts) -

@popmasterruler said:

So you're just going to ignore the elephant in the room Ryan?Come on man,you should've asked about the voice actor for Jackie.A lot of people are upset that they didn't get Kirk Acevedo back from the first game yet they somehow got back the voice actors who played The Darkness and Jenny from the first game respectively.People are upset that it's Nolan North playing Jackie.We need answers from Digital Extremes about this.

Oh man really that guy was great, I'm kinda bummed.

#16 Posted by PixelGorilla (35 posts) -
@popmasterruler said:
 Ive heard that Nolan North is the temporary voice until they find someone permanent.
#17 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -
@csl316 said:

@Jeffsekai said:

@iAmJohn said:

@sixghost said:

Indeed. And Uncle Paulie... one of the few times in games where I NEEDED the bad guy to die.

Word, my brothers. Word.
#18 Posted by crusader8463 (14326 posts) -
@Gabriel said:

@popmasterruler said:

Oh man really that guy was great, I'm kinda bummed.

You honestly think Ryan knew something like that?
#19 Edited by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

I like how it took thousands of years for people to realize that you could use light to fight the darkness. :P

The game does seem cool. I've been thinking about buying the original and playing through that and then getting this is I like the first.

#20 Posted by popmasterruler (570 posts) -
@PixelGorilla said:
@popmasterruler said:
 Ive heard that Nolan North is the temporary voice until they find someone permanent.

Since then though they haven't said anything and they had Nolan North's voice in the E3 demo.
#21 Edited by iAmJohn (6091 posts) -

@FuzzYLemoN said:

@csl316 said:

@Jeffsekai said:

@iAmJohn said:

@sixghost said:

Word, my brothers. Word.

Actually, I thought the ending was kind of lame. The big shootout with the mob outside the townhouse was great, and a lot of the island stuff was fun too, but the ending itself was a cheap cop-out. When their whole thing is about the darkness ripping away your agency and you killing Paulie will finish you giving yourself over to it, it makes their final bout with Paulie seem even stupider. It's bad enough to not give you a choice of letting him live or not (as far as I was concerned, retribution wasn't worth feeding the darkness), but to make the conceit of why you have to kill him be that you're locked inside the lighthouse with him and he'll shoot at you indefinitely--even if you're behind a wall--until one of you is shot to death? How lazy could you be?

Game's still amazing, but the ending did not live up to the rest.

#22 Posted by Ketchupp (671 posts) -

Tom Galt went to college and majored in explaining things.

#23 Posted by csl316 (7384 posts) -

@iAmJohn: I dunno, I got my big bombastic shoot out through the mansion, and a small intimate moment with this evil asshole.

Reminded me of Metal Gear Solid 1, where there's all this action, followed by a bare knuckle brawl.

I dug it, but I guess I can see why it could be disappointing.

#24 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5355 posts) -

@Lrawrl said:

I never heard of the first one before this vid. is it worth going back to and playing? this game seems promising.

I would give it a rent and play through it. It did things that I still haven't seen replicated that were really cool.

Oh, and I watched a full movie on a bum's TV in the subway. Never done that in a game before!

#25 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5355 posts) -

@sixghost said:

He never said that. He said it was one of the best stories out of any video game he's ever played. Big difference.

#26 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2343 posts) -

The light mechanics make it sound like a reverse Alan Wake.

#27 Posted by SilentIcon (6 posts) -

Lol Ryan be shovin' the mic all in they mouth!!!  hahaha

#28 Posted by Mercanis (658 posts) -

@Ketchupp said:

Tom Galt went to college and majored in explaining things.

I was thinking something similar. The man's good at what he does.

#29 Posted by spilledmilkfactory (1755 posts) -

@Luck3ySe7en said:

I had a hard time getting into the first Darkness. Maybe that's because the actual gameplay was starting to show its age a year ago when I got a chance to play. I kind of wish I would've picked it up at release day

I thought the gameplay showed age even on the release date, when I played it. The fantastic story and characters made up for it though. I still think about scenes from the original, so pre-ordering the second was a pretty easy decision.

#30 Posted by blacklab (1477 posts) -

loved the first one. Hyped despite the Rand guy's ADD interview.

#31 Posted by fillmoejoe (1469 posts) -

Fighting the light would be interesting for Alan Wake 2.

#32 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11035 posts) -

That guy really needs to slow down. Yeah, it's clear he knows what he's talking about, but that kind of nervous excitement kind of undermines what you have to say.

#33 Posted by AuthenticM (3672 posts) -

Holy shit, this guy looks and talks like Christopher Lloyd.

#34 Posted by big_jon (5660 posts) -

Yes

#35 Posted by Johnny5 (1353 posts) -

Im not sure I like the art style being slightly more colorful ,slightly more cartoon-esque. Like obviously people always complain about drab games, but the darkness is one of those games I didn't mind at all.

It made me feel like the fucking boogeyman, I'm gonna get ya!

#36 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -

Seems neat so far. I like the idea of the darkling pointing you in the right direction when needed. There were a few times in the original where I had no idea where to go (this is the part where you call me bad at video games), and this approach definitely seems to make more sense than a bread crumb trail or a giant on-screen arrow.

#37 Posted by erichr (58 posts) -

Super excited for this, the first game ended up getting me into the comics bigtime. To all those who are wondering if they should play this, I say give it a shot. It's somewhat dated nowadays, but the story is fantastic. Only thing I wasn't crazy about was the level in Hell. 

#38 Posted by Nightfang (371 posts) -

Awesome!!!

#39 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2168 posts) -

Can't wait to play, there's a chance it might bet banned here in Australia but there's always Ebay. Can't believe the level of violence in this sequel.

#40 Posted by Ramone (2932 posts) -

That dude sounded like he was reading from a really bad Wiiware description.

#41 Posted by dropabombonit (1474 posts) -

Good interview and liking the look of this game

#42 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2452 posts) -

Really loved the first game despite it's flaws, still not totally sure if I'm into the art style though, I enjoyed that the first game felt more like a mob movie and less like a comic book.

#43 Posted by Xshinobi (357 posts) -

I feel the same way. I really don't like the new art style. I really wish Starbreeze was making this.

#44 Posted by HellBrendy (992 posts) -

Not really sure about the graphical side of things. It's a bit too much for me, I want it to be closer to the original. It's also too violent. The Darkness was violent too, but atleast it was calm about it. Not cutting people in two all the time. 

#45 Posted by MeatSim (10609 posts) -

Never got around to playing the first one, probably should.

#46 Posted by McBEEF (354 posts) -

Wish I could play the original again:( dont have a 360 anymore though.

Anyhoo this sequel looks to be shaping up nicely, wasnt sure at first but it the comic book style isnt too bright and it looks nice and grim

#47 Posted by MisterMouse (3531 posts) -

awkward handshake at the end...

#48 Posted by afrokola (547 posts) -

I liked the first Darkness, this could be interesting even without the original developer.

#49 Posted by Milkman (16233 posts) -

I don't have a good feeling about this game.

#50 Posted by Rongaryen (264 posts) -

I liked the first Darkness game and feel it doesn't need a sequel even if that sequel happens to be good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.