Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Darkness II

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Feb 07, 2012

Return to the dark life of Jackie Estacado in The Darkness II, Digital Extremes' sequel to the 2007 shooter by Starbreeze.

End game (SPOILERS)

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Hizang

What did you guys think of the ending?

I ended up choosing the rejecting Jenny option and enjoyed that last mission, when I found Jenny and they hugged and it faded to black that really left me feeling great on the game. But then after the credits they say surprise Jenny turned out to actually be your enemy and fly's away leaving Jackie alone, that seemed like a stupid way to prepare you for the next game.

I hate when they do that!

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Lautaro

Seems like they left it open for a sequel if you go the reject Jenny route.

Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Voxus

Hated the ending. The only thing missing was a FINISH THE FIGHT 2014 after the end title card. Don't get it twisted, I loved every minutes of the 4 hours it took me to get to the conclusion. But man, talk about a buzz kill.

The last 10 minutes of this game felt like the ending of Alan Wake. I guess that means DLC with the real ending coming soon for 7.99?

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By SomeDeliCook

The ending you're talking about is AMAZING, right before... you know, Angelus.

I'm surprised the game made me care about Jenny as much as the first game did.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By musubi

As a fan of the comics Jenny ending up being the Angelus host blew my fucking mind. Wow. I've been waiting for the Angelus to show herself as she is pretty much the ying to the darkness yang. If the 3rd game ends up being The Darkness vs Angelus that would be amazing. Even more so if the Witchblade showed up in some capacity or even going more out on a limb the Magdalena. Although i doubt Magdalena would ever make it to a game as she isn't as popular as Witchblade or Darkness.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Coafi

The ending didn't really surprise me, that doesn't mean I didn't like it. I liked it a lot but I was expecting it and it reminded me of Shadows of the Damned.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#7  Edited By alistercat

I wasn't surprised but I managed to be satisfied and immensely frustrated because it just sets it up for another sequel.

Really enjoyed it. Wish there were more asylum sequences.

Rek503

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Rek503

I just finished the game, and I really liked it. I just hope this does well enough to get the sequel that it deserves. I'm still surprised that The Darkness got a sequel at all, and now I need a 3rd game. They won't leave it on that note unless another game is planned.... right?

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#9  Edited By Danteveli

When the started hinting the presence of Angelus in this version of the Darkness I knew something like that would happend. But doing it after credits shocked me a bit.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By altairre

I think they set it up pretty well and I wasn´t suprised. Especially after you find the relic at the beginning of the last level and Powell says that it should contain the angelus but doesn´t. I liked it and I look forward to the sequel.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By UnrealDP

It was also the most goddamn obvious thing in the world. "Hey, so the Angelus is like you, but a girl and someone the Darkness would hate a whole bunch, in fact he would imprison her soul inside him if given the chance, but it's a good thing we don't know anyone like that, huh?" It just felt so forced and stupid when compared to every other great moment in that game. So many times the game goes left when you think it's going right, and when it does go right it does it with some amount of elegance and restraint, yet that ending couldn't be blunter if they used a fucking club.

k9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By k9

I share similar sentiment of disappointment expressed by others in the thread. I enjoyed the 1st shorter ending more where you dance with Jenny in hospital and the screen slowly fades to black.

As soon as I heard about Angelus and what her nature was in the game I knew that Jenny was somehow going to become her and you would have to fight against Jenny. And that is exactly what is going to happen in the third game. And you will win and be together with Jenny once again, thus nullifying the significance of her loss from the first game. The main idea behind the first game was a great one; you get darkness powers at the cost of seeing people you love die around you. Now the sequels are determined to to show that "love can conquer anything", just like 95% of movies and story laden games. Way to capitulate to mediocrity Darkness 2!

I still enjoyed having Medusa snake hairs though. That mechanic is still unique.

KJ869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KJ869

Same, just hated how they made it so clear DLC ending.  I would guess 2 DLC's: First is the escape from hell, second would be the first battle with Angelus and build up for the wait for third game.

the_red_mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By the_red_mage

I loved the first game. I love this one as well. The ending was okay though not really suprising. I mean this whole Jenny is the angelus stuff is hinted in the first one where jackie calls her "the light in the dark" (or something like that) and the darkness literally tells you that "it" deceives you right before you free her ... sooo money well spent I'd say.

Btw. am I the only one who really likes open endings in general?

Edit: jesus I had to edit this short little f-in comment like three times because I'm basically nodding off in between words

GenghisJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By GenghisJohn

I loved this game. Having said that, I thought the ending was really lousy, and I would be really pissed if I had bought it because of the campaign length. Ended up renting this from a RedBox and finishing it in a day, definitly worth the $2 it cost me. :D

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Oni

I thought it was fine. I actually didn't see it coming, but I knew what was going on as soon as it happened. I just wasn't really clear on some stuff. For one, the Siphon seemed like a total MacGuffin, something move the plot along. Why does the Darkness get so powerful if he gets it? Who the fuck knows. And what actually happened to Jackie at the end? I thought he went to Hell to get Jenny's soul back, but did he actually go inside of the Darkness? Are they the same? It was kind of vague, to me. Maybe I'm an idiot. Someone elucidate me please.

RageKage14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RageKage14

I thought the best ending would have been if, after Jackie jumps off the roof of the asylum, he hits the ground and it just cuts to black and that's the ending.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HaltIamReptar

@Oni said:

I thought it was fine. I actually didn't see it coming, but I knew what was going on as soon as it happened. I just wasn't really clear on some stuff. For one, the Siphon seemed like a total MacGuffin, something move the plot along. Why does the Darkness get so powerful if he gets it? Who the fuck knows. And what actually happened to Jackie at the end? I thought he went to Hell to get Jenny's soul back, but did he actually go inside of the Darkness? Are they the same? It was kind of vague, to me. Maybe I'm an idiot. Someone elucidate me please.

What I got was that the illusion of the hospital and Jenny was actually created by Angelus - that's why the Darkness kept saying "it deceives you". You really did go to hell, but then Angelus trapped you and the Darkness in there.

With that said, the Siphon was a straight up MacGuffin. There is literally zero explanation of why it would be bad for the Darkness to have it.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By nohthink

So... what happens if you choose to stay with Jenny??

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Erebus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Erebus

@Demoskinos said:

As a fan of the comics Jenny ending up being the Angelus host blew my fucking mind. Wow. I've been waiting for the Angelus to show herself as she is pretty much the ying to the darkness yang. If the 3rd game ends up being The Darkness vs Angelus that would be amazing.

Very surprised to see Jenny as the host also. Great to see Angelus show up, but Jenny? Hmmm.. not sure on that one. Makes no sense, since Jenny is dead. Since when did the Angelus attach itself to a dead host which is only a soul? It goes against the lore quite a bit.

Looking forward to taking on Angelus Warriors and hopefully being able to summon my own little army of darklings to take them on.

The whole "love conquers all" thing is rather annoying, because the whole point of Jackie is that he lost Jenny. If at the end of all this they both are free from the Darkness and Angelus and a are happy ever after....well that sucks.

Jackie can't escape Hell without Tom Judge coming in and saving him ;)

DLC will be Tom Judge and The Rapture searching for a lost Jackie in Hell.

Kelswitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kelswitch

The fade in to 'Press X to let go' after the credits was fantastic, I sat on the prompt for 5 minutes just drinking in the overall experience.

Then of course they had to end on a stinger for the Darkness 3.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By EarlessShrimp

@Hizang said:

I ended up choosing the rejecting Jenny option and enjoyed that last mission, when I found Jenny and they hugged and it faded to black that really left me feeling great on the game. But then after the credits they say surprise Jenny turned out to actually be your enemy and fly's away leaving Jackie alone, that seemed like a stupid way to prepare you for the next game.

I kinda suspected that would be what happened with that ending when they said that the light was a woman. They still managed to surprise me because of the credit roll thing but I was still on my guard about it. I'm not saying it wasn't a clever twist it was just a lucky guess on my part. I did enjoy the ending a lot and where they went with it, giving you the option to reject or accept that as the reality was really quite good. For the longest time I was struggling to decide which reality was the real one. In that way, the story overall was excellently executed. Both times I finished it I rejected the asylum, so I don't know what happens otherwise haha.

Erebus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Erebus

They screwed up by having the Angelus credited in the credits and you are there left wondering "did I miss something? I never saw the Angelus"

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bybeach
    @SomeDeliCook said:

The ending you're talking about is AMAZING, right before... you know, Angelus.

I'm surprised the game made me care about Jenny as much as the first game did.

This is what I think. I'm suprised Jenny allowed that, if she did or had a choice. I thought she would in turn save Jackie, but I guess Darkness 3. Also, are all these supernatural entity dicks? The Angelus is just as much a meglomaniac as the Darkness, just prettier (sort of) and with light and horns.
    1p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By 1p
    @bwheeeler Yo that's crazy. Kinda great that they're willing to omit the entire last level.
    Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Pop

I finished it last night, I thought the ending was pretty good and was expecting Jenny to be the Angelus when I heard that it needed a female host. When I saw it faded to black I was like yeaaa great ending, I pressed back and was like, oh here it comes, she's definitely the Angelus and was yelling c'mon let me fight her now!! aaaaaaaaand felt a little let down. But I'll just think the ending was before the credits and not after.

I didn't understand what Jackie did with the siphon, he stabbed himself in the chest wouldn't that give him more powers? instead it kills him? and sends him to the asylum which is made by the darkness to keep Jackie busy while it heals him, but Jackie kills himself in the asylum and that sends him to hell? Is that what happened?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Milkman

Rejected Jenny and the ending left me wanting more. Then after the credits, it left me wanting WAY less. The poor ending is a small blemish on an otherwise great game.

Kiri90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By Kiri90

I just finished it and I absolutely loved the game. I will probably play through it again with New Game+. In regards to the ending, it would've been cool if ended after the embrace, (either way, I like the ending) but this ending gives hope to another game.

dad0ktdid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dad0ktdid

Yeah, I know I am LTTP but I was super disappointed with the ending. Also the beginning and middle. Not a bad game, just not as good as the first one.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@Hizang said:

Which is why Im glad the credits break up the ending.

For me, the 'true' ending is Jackie and Jenny hugging and NOT the Angelus. It was perfect

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#32  Edited By Yummylee

It was cheap, no doubt, and highly predictable; I just knew there was going to be a post-credits scene. And as soon as Johnny tells you about Angelus, it's plainly obvious that it was going to erupt within Jenny. Still, I'm not entirely peeved off with the ending or anything; the actual story of darkness 2 wasn't all too strong, and it was primarily the characters that has made me enjoy the fiction as I do. Though the idea of it ending with Jackie & Jenny residing within Hell together would have been a clean way of wrapping it all up, I'm not completely against the concept of the two also being forced to fight each other in The Darkness III.

I mean can you just imagine the pain Jackie will be going through?? It'll be fucking beautiful - especially if Brian Bloom will stay on for the role. As long as they don't cop out and somehow end the inevitable confrontation with Jenny surviving or anything, though. Frankly, I'm kinda hoping they both die at the end, taking both The Darkness and Angelus with them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.