Now that's what I call a demo!

#1 Edited by nohthink (1223 posts) -

I just finished playing the demo of the Darkness II and man, that was great!

Considering that how demos these days are "play for 45 minutes" or a chunk segment that does not reveal anything about the story but reveal on the gameplay, I thought the Darkness II definitely had a strong demo impression.

Of course, I am not saying this demo represents the whole game. Who knows? Maybe the whole game is terrible. But I have to say, the demo definitely got me excited for this game that I did not really care. So here goes my demo impression

Art Style

The first thing I noticed was the art style. Even from the trailer, you could tell the game has a cartoony style going on. Well... not too cartoony but not realistic looking either. Think of it like Borderland or Rage. You see black lines around the character but they animate super well, especially the facial expression. I thought lip sync might have been off a bit but I could not tell for sure. But overall, I liked it and I thought it did what it was supped to do. And the Darkness looks and animates well. The way they eat hearts, throw objects, whip the enemies and rip them apart, etc. Looks really good.

Story

I might be wrong about this but I am going to guess the developers put the tutorial section of the game as a demo. As a person who did not play the first Darkness(did not have a PS3 not a 360 at that time), I thought they did a good job on explaining but not forcing it you to understand who Jackie is and why he has the Darkness. They give you enough information and implication how the Darkness is a double edge sword type of deal, as all super powers are.

Combat

Control has a lot of things going on. Gun shootings are L1 and R1 are for shooting(standard left to zoom and right shoot) and the Darkness control is L2 and R2. L2 is used for controlling the left Darkness which is mainly for grabbing and throwing. R2 is used for controlling the right Darkness, which is for melee attack. The way the melee attack works is that you hold R2 and use right stick to whip it around. It is exactly like Dead Island analog control.

It worked well. Do not really have anything to complain about it. Using the dark tentacles to attack enemies was very satisfying. You rip them apart(literally), throw them, cut them, eat them, etc. Really satisfying and animation looks good. You can also tear a car door to use it as a shield, which I thought was a smart mechanic.

Things That I Hope I Won't See in the Final Version

1) Lip syncing. I don't know if this was an actual problem or not, because I'm not sure if I actually saw it or I just think I saw it. But if it is a problem, I hope they fix this.

2) There were some parts that frame rate dropped a bit(for PS3 version). I'm not so picky about frame rate and do not believe 60 fps is a requirement. It would be good if it is and more power to you. But I don't get angry about it as long as it does not break the game(I thought Shadow of the Colossus in PS2 was perfectly fine). The frame rate drops that I saw were not game breaking but I did notice it maybe 2 times during combats. I hope they fix it for the game sake.

Overall, I thought it was a really good demo. It showed just enough story to intrigued me, it showed what the game is capable of and it showed a really good taste of the combat. I strongly recommend you guys to give it shot.

#2 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4513 posts) -

@nohthink: The Darkness is not a double-edged sword, it's a thing that festers and tempts you to do horrific, terrible things. And it will always. Always. win.

Aside from that, yeah, it's a good demo.

#3 Edited by CornBREDX (4739 posts) -

The first was a decent, but flawed game that gets little recognition. I hope this one does it justice and makes it better. That game had a lot of potential. 
If you do want to know more about the darkness and whatnot, play the first- at least on easy just to see the story (content tourist I've heard it called). It's actually really cool. The game play isn't so great though which is why the easy suggestion just to get through it (some of it is tedious and a bit of back tracking from what I recall). 
Anyway, glad to hear this is looking good, the art style and different developer has me worried but i'm trying to give this one a chance. I don't want to pass this up for shallow reasons only to miss a fun game.

#4 Posted by Mikey2D (217 posts) -

@nohthink: If you have yet to check out the original - although somewhat dated, you should check it out - it was a great game at the time and the extra knowledge you gain from playing out the first's story would be beneficial to your playthrough of the sequel.

The demo certainly offered a somewhat refreshing take on the idea of a demo in that it split content between Jackie being talked to by an NPC that is probably one of the main villians of the 2nd games story. Obviously though as stated when things loaded up - the running order in this demo is not necessarily how it will play out in the final game. Showing what they did however I feel that some of these high points that were revealed will now have little to no impact in the final game's playthrough - lets just hope there are other twists, turns and surprises on offer in the full retail version. (which i'm sure there are)

Regarding combat - the darkness worked well - but i found the gunplay was really lacking - I had to go into the options and tweak the aiming speed to full as it was all kinds of slow to begin with - it was also in my case worth turning off the aim assist as it just left the shooting feeling sluggish and slow. Once these tweaks were made the gunplay did improve some. I think i'm just used to the super tight and amazing shooting found in battlefield 3 :P

Overall though - I enjoyed the demo - i've always liked the darkness as both a comic and game anyway so i'm sure i'll be picking up and checking out the latest game.

#5 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon: @CornBREDX: @Mikey2D:

Since you guys know more about the Darkness than I do, I have one question. Does Jacky's mafia people know he has the Darkness?

In the demo, his people don't really seem surprise by two giant black tentacles that Jacky had. Do they know? or they can't see? or... what's going on?

#6 Posted by Winternet (8000 posts) -

This is great news.

#7 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I don't understand why they had to add the point pop-ups (after kills and so on) into the game. Even Call of Duty doesn't do that for its single player.

It's just stupid.

#8 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

I really enjoyed the demo. I didn't really need to be sold on the game, but it made me really excited for it to come out. There was one thing that really bothered me about it though: The opening line was something along the lines of "My father once said to me...". Unless something fairly specific happens in The Darkness II, I don't think Jackie has ever met his father, since carriers of The Darkness die as soon as they get a woman pregnant.

#9 Posted by CornBREDX (4739 posts) -
@nohthink: That kind of gets into spoilers of the first, but suffice to say in the first they ended up knowing but he wasn't the leader in the first. The resolution of the first game is why hes is the boss in the second.  
In this I have heard his darkness powers have been dormant and he hasn't used them for awhile until a certain event which takes place (presumably at the beginning of the game) so I assume if they don't know already in this one they will when that happens. That is speculation, though, based on what developers have said in interviews like- last year. I don't know if it changed at all.
#10 Posted by Landon (4127 posts) -

@Sooty said:

I don't understand why they had to add the point pop-ups (after kills and so on) into the game. Even Call of Duty doesn't do that for its single player.

It's just stupid.

They have the whole upgrade tree now, I think the reason behind that was to let the player know how much XP they get for doing certain things. Call of Duty doesn't do that for it's single player because there is nothing to upgrade. And if you think it's stupid, I saw an option to turn it off.

#11 Posted by Mikey2D (217 posts) -

@nohthink: As others have said it could spoil things to explain - play the original - you won't regret it judging from the amount of fun you had with the second's demo :)

#12 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2130 posts) -

Yeah, I thought it was a really good demo, combat felt great.

#13 Posted by markini6 (445 posts) -

@Sooty said:

It's just stupid.

@Landon said:

@Sooty said:

It's just stupid.

They have the whole upgrade tree now, I think the reason behind that was to let the player know how much XP they get for doing certain things. Call of Duty doesn't do that for it's single player because there is nothing to upgrade. And if you think it's stupid, I saw an option to turn it off.

Yep, didn't like them either, so I turned them off and played the demo without any experience-point pop-ups.

#14 Posted by project343 (2809 posts) -

I'm incredibly disappointed with this game. They threw in far too much Bulletstorm-sillyness into my Darkness. A real shame. I loved the original--maybe that's why I disliked this demo so much.

#15 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@markini6 said:

@Sooty said:

It's just stupid.

@Landon said:

@Sooty said:

It's just stupid.

Yep, didn't like them either, so I turned them off and played the demo without any experience-point pop-ups.

Ah great! I wouldn't mind if it was some bonus arcade mode where things popped up (Like CoD4 Arcade) but it just seemed a bit daft in a game like this.

#16 Edited by TentPole (1858 posts) -

In comparison to the first game this one seem to be a lot less flawed and a lot less unique and special.

#17 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

It was awesome. I'm pumped.

#18 Edited by NTM (7233 posts) -

Here's what I suggest, go buy the first, play it because it's amazing, and if you don't want to buy a handful of The Darkness comics, then you should at least read a wiki or something. I thought the demo was fine, the visuals wouldn't win awards in my book, but they're great, and when I say great I mean 8.0 great, not 7.5 which is really good, or 8.5 which is really great, just great.

The gameplay, while fun and takes a few interesting twist, is pretty standard. The sound was really quite good, and although I thought the voice for this Jackie was great, I'm still disappointed about the change. So really, the thing is, although what's there is great, I'm still slightly disappointed about any of the changes big or small. Aside from the somewhat idiotic A.I. the original is an amazing game.

#19 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2203 posts) -

@nohthink said:

@Oldirtybearon: @CornBREDX: @Mikey2D:

Since you guys know more about the Darkness than I do, I have one question. Does Jacky's mafia people know he has the Darkness?

In the demo, his people don't really seem surprise by two giant black tentacles that Jacky had. Do they know? or they can't see? or... what's going on?

The same problem happened in the first game. Only a few times did people actually freak out from what they saw coming out of Jackie, so it almost made you think noone could see it, but they do. The way certain people freak out proves it.

By the way, play the first game before this game. The story is pretty damn good.

#20 Posted by mordukai (7125 posts) -

Seriously! How come none of you mention how awesome Mike Patton is as the voice of the darkness. What's wrong with you people.

#21 Posted by ShaggE (6288 posts) -

I just hope there are entire movies in this one like there was in the first. I still can't believe how pointless and awesome that was.

#22 Posted by N7 (3572 posts) -
@ShaggE said:

I just hope there are entire movies in this one like there was in the first. I still can't believe how pointless and awesome that was.

There were movies in the first one?
#23 Posted by ShaggE (6288 posts) -

@N7 said:

@ShaggE said:

There were movies in the first one?

Yup. To Kill A Mockingbird, The Man With The Golden Arm, The Street Fighter (not Street Fighter, of course), as well as episodes of Flash Gordon, Popeye, and Gabby. The whole damn things.

#24 Posted by CannonGoose (372 posts) -

I just finished the demo and I thought it was quite cool. The graphics were really sharp and it ran at 60fps on my computer which is always a nice bonus. I also just really enjoyed the gunplay in this demo compared to the first game, very glad they improved on that.

Apart from basic shooting controlling some parts of the Darkness with the mouse and keyboard felt a bit wonky, but I'm sure it'd play great with a controller.

#25 Posted by N7 (3572 posts) -
@ShaggE: Wow. That's pretty awesome.

Man I hope they do that again in the sequel. That would be entertaining as shi-ite.
#26 Posted by ShaggE (6288 posts) -

@N7: Yeah, it was a total mindfuck when To Kill A Mockingbird started... and kept going... and going... haha. After 20 minutes I went ahead and skipped it, because I was starting to question what I was doing with my life watching a movie inside a game, but I still appreciate that it's there.

Shame it never came to PC, because that scene is just begging for some mods.

#27 Posted by Mikey2D (217 posts) -

@Mordukai: It goes without saying based on how awesome Mike Patton is. When a friend told me the demo was out my very first question was 'Is Mike Patton still doing the voice of the darkness'. I was very happy to hear his voice not long there after the demo started :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.