Warning: German users buying the UK retail version (PC)

#1 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1618 posts) -

Hey, I just experienced something really annoying and I thought maybe I can warn some people about it.

So I live in Germany, I usually buy my retail-versions of PC games in the UK since they are (even with shipping) cheaper there. I did that with Darkness 2 and the game just arrived. When I tried to install it and it asked me to put the serial into steam, steam told me this version of the game is not available in my country. Germany usually has low violence versions of games unlike the UK but that has never been a problem for me. I also checked the amazon.uk description of the game and didnt find any warning that this version might not be working in a different country.

As of now I found no way to work around this, and this is very specific to the german-uk think, but everyone who imports the game on PC should probably be carefull.

#2 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11031 posts) -

I don't use Steam, so I can't say for sure, but would it be possible to create another Steam account and lie and say you live in the UK? You'd still be able to play it, at least, even if it wouldn't be on your main account. I have no clue if Steam can tell where you live though.

#3 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

This is something that Squeenix attempted to do with Deus Ex, but then backed out of at the last minute after it caused an uproar. Not surprised to see 2K pull that crap, honestly (assuming it really is region locking, and not just the low violence version thing).

#4 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Have you mailed Steam support about this? I suppose they could give you the German version of the game in exchange for the code.

#5 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1545 posts) -

@Jack268: I think that is the reason he bought the UK version, probably to avoid any censorship the German version may have. All you probably have to do is activate the serial through a VPN from wherever the game's region. At least that's the case with Russian copies of games I've purchased.

#6 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@2HeadedNinja:

Aww that sucks! I also import most of my games (bin auch aus Deutschland), but I only have a PS3. Never had any issues with that tho. The only drawback with that is, that sometimes the DLC from the german psn store isn't working.

If you play a lot of games that would be cut in Germany, maybe you should consider buying a console. I've been gaming on both PCs and consoles and always thought the consoles have more advantages.

#7 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

@WilltheMagicAsian: Ah I thought it was just to get it cheaper.

#8 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@Jack268:

I guess both. In Germany games are both more cencored and more expensive.

However, I'm getting the impression it's loosening up a bit, since some games that have an identical UK or US version get an uncut release over here too.

#9 Posted by Baal_Sagoth (1261 posts) -

Yeah, not the first example either, unfortunately. SR: The Third has the same problem for example. Publishers and Steam know this very well and simply don't give a fuck - realistacilly that part of the market is probably not nearly important enough. I'm pretty sure the "lying to Steam" tactic doesn't work without also faking your IP. I would rage if I wasn't utterly disillusioned at this point anyway.

#10 Posted by TopCat88 (176 posts) -

I had a similar issue with Football Manager. I live in Taiwan but the game does not have a release here and couldn't be bought via Steam. (or at least it didn't/couldn't when I bought it). I have a proxy server internet connection from the UK to allow me to watch UK TV online, etc and by going to the steam store online via the proxy I as able to get the game. I'm not sure if you could get around this issue in a similar way by registering a steam account in the UK (via a proxy) and installing the game that way.

Also, I suppose you could download the game illegally seeing as you have already bought it legit. And I know this is a hot-topic around here so before an argument breaks out, I'm not condoning or recommending this...but it is always an option if you have no problems with taking that route.

#11 Posted by believer258 (11914 posts) -

You've already legitimately paid for the game, so I wouldn't consider a torrent of the uncensored version bad because you're not stealing anything.

#12 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1618 posts) -

Thanks for the replys ... I didnt try much yet, had to recover my steam forums/support account and that takes ages. And yeah, I tend to buy in the UK because of cencorship too but I would settle with the german version.

#13 Posted by Liber (648 posts) -

There are 2 solutions:
1. Login to your steam account through UK proxy server and enter your serial key , then login again with your normal connection and you should see the game in your list.

2. Pirate the game, unzip it and click the exe to play it.

#14 Posted by CoinMatze (471 posts) -
#15 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Liber said:

There are 2 solutions: 1. Login to your steam account through UK proxy server and enter your serial key , then login again with your normal connection and you should see the game in your list. 2. Pirate the game, unzip it and click the exe to play it.

^ Pretty much. 

Contact Steam support first, if they can't help you, what I would do is either try the proxy solution or simply get it from a fileshare website since the developer has my money.
#16 Posted by 1p (760 posts) -

@2HeadedNinja: Thanks for the heads up. Will get it on console then.

This stuff sucks. It makes me nervous about the digital distribution future.

For people suggesting tricking Steam by using a proxy or VPN: It might work, but it's probably against the Steam TOS to do that. Not sure that i would try it with a Steam account that i wouldn't want to lose.

#17 Posted by AssInAss (2648 posts) -

Consoles are the answer here!

Steam region-locking is annoying. Is GOG or other digital services more open than that?

#18 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1618 posts) -

consoles are never the answer ;) ... I'm a PC gamer, always was, always will be. I own a 360 but never use it. I still love steam, and, to put it in perspective, never had any serious problems with any of the ~250 games I own there.

That said: What angers me a little is that I openend a ticked with my problem 24 hours ago and didn't get a response yet.

#19 Edited by emem (1968 posts) -
@Morrow  said: 

@2HeadedNinja:

Aww that sucks! I also import most of my games (bin auch aus Deutschland), but I only have a PS3. Never had any issues with that tho. The only drawback with that is, that sometimes the DLC from the german psn store isn't working.

If you play a lot of games that would be cut in Germany, maybe you should consider buying a console. I've been gaming on both PCs and consoles and always thought the consoles have more advantages.

If you are playing games on the PC the only way to get most of the newer titles uncut is by asking someone who doesn't live in Germany to send you the game as a Steam gift. It always works and that way most games are even cheaper than they are over here (bin ebenfalls aus Deutschland). So my advice would be not to buy retail versions of PC games that are cut in Germany ever... just find someone who is nice enough to send them to you via Steam. And t̶̶h̶̶e̶̶o̶̶r̶̶e̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶a̶̶l̶̶l̶̶y̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶ ̶̶c̶̶o̶̶u̶̶l̶̶d̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶l̶̶s̶̶o̶̶ ̶̶u̶̶s̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶v̶̶p̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶o̶̶ ̶̶u̶̶n̶̶l̶̶o̶̶c̶̶k̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶g̶̶a̶̶m̶̶e̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶u̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶o̶̶u̶̶l̶̶d̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶e̶̶f̶̶i̶̶n̶̶i̶̶t̶̶e̶̶l̶̶y̶̶ ̶̶n̶̶o̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶e̶̶c̶̶o̶̶m̶̶m̶̶e̶̶n̶̶d̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶a̶̶t̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶c̶̶a̶̶u̶̶s̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶e̶̶r̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶l̶̶w̶̶a̶̶y̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶s̶̶k̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶v̶̶a̶̶l̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶a̶̶n̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶c̶̶c̶̶o̶̶u̶̶n̶̶t̶̶.̶     

Buying a console because of that doesn't sound plausible to me and in this day and age the only reason for me to even consider getting one would be exclusives, but that's just me... :) 

@2HeadedNinja: Well, the only thing Valve can do is give you a German key, the question is if you really want that? Honestly, if I were you I'd forget about the 50 bucks you already payed, because playing games cut is something I will never do again. (I've got the cut version of L4D and that version is bad, it makes the game look bad.)
#20 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1618 posts) -

@emem said:

@2HeadedNinja: Well, the only thing Valve can do is give you a German key, the question is if you really want that? Honestly, if I were you I'd forget about the 50 bucks you already payed, because playing games cut is something I will never do again. (I've got the cut version of L4D and that version is bad, it makes the game look bad.)

tbh. I don't really mind. I prefer the uncut versions of games but I would settle with the cut one. I would like to play the game I payed for though ^^

#21 Posted by Metallus (4 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.