Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Darkness

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jun 25, 2007

On his 21st birthday, Jackie Estacado gets possessed by an entity known as The Darkness. After getting into trouble with the Mafia, Jackie finds himself on the run, trying to protect the people most important to him.

Can Someone Explain the Ending?

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I was expecting a huge reveal about where Jackie was in that black room, but the ending just kinda confused me. There's been a sequel confirmed, so I guess they had to leave some stuff out.

One of the overlooked games of 07 if you ask me. I'll be playing through it again on hard.

Justaddwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Justaddwater

Isnt it like a comic aswell? so they couldnt get away with any major closure. I remember feeling disappointed when I finished it as well, so much so that I cant remember it at all :S

Avatar image for radical_little_girl
    Radical_little_Girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

All the ending really is, is that Jackie was taken over by the darkness (I think)

Which he was then unconscious. And the ending where Jenny said "Wake Up" is the Darkness saying to wake up, like it did at a scene earlier into the game, after you died.

Jigen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jigen

Biggest thing that pissed me off at the ending?  I didn't have a choice to walk away, not kill the guy, and save my soul.  Big disappointment there for me.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187
    Jigen said:
    "Biggest thing that pissed me off at the ending?  I didn't have a choice to walk away, not kill the guy, and save my soul.  Big disappointment there for me."
    That would've ended up defeating the purpose of the story.  Biggest thing that pisses me off about endings is when I have to make a choice.  The only time I didn't hate it was The Suffering, because both endings were well done.  I hate "moral choice" endings.  Stupid bullshit.
    Also, this thread should've had a "SPOILER" tag in the header.  Just letting you know.

As for the ending of The Darkness, Jackie died.  He saw Jenny as she was making her way to the afterlife.  It's the last time they see each other.  Then The Darkness is telling him to wake up.  The Darkness did not overtake him, as Jackie is in control.  Regardless, The Darkness is still there, and remember...The Darkness will not let its host die.

The game doesn't really explain much about all that.  If you want some good reads, check out the comics from Top Cow.  Good stuff indeed.
    Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Johnny5

but doesnt the darkness now own his soul and his body? Thats we he said before he was to kill Paulie

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By c1337us

I am not a big fan of moral choice endings either. Just seems like a cheap way to try and give a game replay value. Make the player play right through again just to see the alternate ending. It also makes it confusing when said games get a sequel. How are you meant to know which is the "proper" or "intended" ending. What happens if you didnt play through and get that particular ending.

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Johnny5
    c1337us said:
    "I am not a big fan of moral choice endings either. Just seems like a cheap way to try and give a game replay value. Make the player play right through again just to see the alternate ending. It also makes it confusing when said games get a sequel. How are you meant to know which is the "proper" or "intended" ending. What happens if you didnt play through and get that particular ending."
    Tekken manages to do it quite often. Then again the story is hardly the main driving force of that game.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By get2sammyb

I thought it was quite sluggish in gameplay, and the areas felt very limited. On saying that, the story was a  good'un and I enjoyed playing through this game for £5!!!

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Shawn

Jackie gave his soul up to The Darkness for 5 minutes alone with Jenny because that's all he had to "live" for anyways, so after he got his 5 minutes of bliss in the park his soul he died (not physically)

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Jeust

Nope. 

For me the darkness had control over his body while in the dream in the park bench, but the spirit of jenny made him wake from his slumber, and gain control over the darkness again. 

I think that is in conformity with the comics, since Estacado gains control over the Darkness and the mafia, and them start the fight with the Angelus  (from which you can see some pictures in the extras).

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Whisperkill

Man this was such a good game... Really good characterization and undoubtedly the best video game voice acting ever.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Whisperkill said:
    " Man this was such a good game... Really good characterization and undoubtedly the best video game voice acting ever. "
    Is that the game where Mike Patton does voice acting ?
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Whisperkill
    @addictedtopinescent said:
    " @Whisperkill said:
    " Man this was such a good game... Really good characterization and undoubtedly the best video game voice acting ever. "
    Is that the game where Mike Patton does voice acting ? "
    Hell yes...
    Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Whisperkill said:
    " @addictedtopinescent said:
    " @Whisperkill said:
    Is that the game where Mike Patton does voice acting ? "
    Hell yes... "
    You just sold me on this, I might have a played a little in the past, but I gotta buy this
    Nylesathis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeust: I agree. Remember, the Darkness lies to manipulate its host. The Darkness DID have control of Jackie until Jenny appeared. Normally, when Jackie dies, the Darkness returns him to the hell prison, but instead of dying, he just lost his mind briefly. It didn't help that there was an eclipse. But Jackie was strong-willed enough to bring the Darkness back under control and take over as the Don, for several years. Then he gets attacked by someone who wants the power for themselves and with his life in danger, he has to let the Darkness out again in part 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.