Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Darkness

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jun 25, 2007

On his 21st birthday, Jackie Estacado gets possessed by an entity known as The Darkness. After getting into trouble with the Mafia, Jackie finds himself on the run, trying to protect the people most important to him.

Most underrated story last year.. agree??

DrLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By DrLove

id think so, plus the voice acting was great.. id say as good as Mass effect, even tho there was alot less.

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By SonicFire

Well, it got pretty decent scores, but I'm still on the fence for playing it... 

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Megalon

I don't recall it being underrated...but I'll agree it was good. Gameplay could have been better in my opinion (especially gun stuff, the darkness powers were good but maybe could have used more).

DrLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DrLove

i didnt meant the game as far as scores go.. i just ment the story itself.  i thought i was one of the best of the year.. up their with bioshock and Mass effect

psr388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By psr388

are you serious?

a psychopath's spree of wanton destruction compared to the complex, well written, and unpredictable stories of bioshock and mass effect?

this thread is made of FAIL

CheeseFanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By CheeseFanatic

Yes, psr388, we are serious. 

The game was underrated.  Sure the controls were choppy, but the story was so dark and haunting that it completely made up for its downsides.  Sure the game wasn't as great as some of the other titles last year, but it was still a great game.

this thread is made of PEOPLE WHO LIKE THIS GAME!

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

I agree 100%, this game's storytelling absolutely murders anything that came out last year that I've played. (Keep in mind I never played Bioshock, so I don't have an opinion on that one, but The Darkness is definitely in the top 3 at least)

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By clubsandwich

this and BioShock were the best games last year IMO.

DavidSnakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By DavidSnakes
    psr388 said:
    "are you serious?

a psychopath's spree of wanton destruction compared to the complex, well written, and unpredictable stories of bioshock and mass effect?

"
    That's completely stupid, dude.  You can trivialize anything with the right wording.  GTA 4 is about an immigrant who kills people for money.  Romeo and Juliet is about two people who kill themselves.
    Quadrifoglio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Quadrifoglio

I completely agree.

SlayingShogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SlayingShogun

I loved The Darkness in every aspect I really hope they make a second game.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hazelnutman

Yep, good story was good

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Shawn
    psr388 said:
    "are you serious?

"
    He said underrated. Bioshock and Mass Effects stories weren't underrated.
    Avatar image for s1lent_assass1n
    S1LENT_ASSASS1N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#14  Edited By S1LENT_ASSASS1N

I really enjoyed The Darkness it was one of my favorite games of 2007, but I do agree that a lot of people didn't pay any attention to this game which is a shame because it is a really good game.

fresh2deafbill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By fresh2deafbill

agreed

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Origina1Penguin

It played with my emotions more than Bioshock and Mass Effect to be honest.  Each of the three games has different points of presentation that they excel in, but yea, The Darkness did seem overlooked.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DualReaver

Loved this game's story and Mass Effects'.
    Am I the only one who thought Bioshock was disappointing?

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Whenever anybody says, "Am I the only one _____?" the answer is no.

PrawnToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By PrawnToast

I just completed it over the weekend and really enjoyed it. Mike Patton's voice work as The Darkness was AMAZING and I was stunned to see some people hated it over on NeoGAF.  

They story was good, but not great and it felt a little contrived at times. But it was never less than enjoyable. 
    The developer, Starbreeze Studios, are excellent. They need to get that long-delayed Riddick title out (if it's not trapped in development hell - Activision may have killed the project following the ActiBlizz merger) and the much-wanted Road Rash update that they're rumored to be working on for EA.
    TEAMHOLT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TEAMHOLT
    DualReaver said:
    "Loved this game's story and Mass Effects'.
    Am I the only one who thought Bioshock was disappointing?"
    Nah, I'm with you, but we really shouldn't turn this into a thread about BioShock.

The only thing I didn't like about The Darkness, story-wise, was how non-chalant everyone seemed to be about the fact that you murdering everyone with demon powers. Other than that, it did have some of the best voice acting as well as one of the most interesting stories last year. The ending was really bittersweet, and I can't wait for the sequel.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought this game Friday for $9 at Gamestop (they were having a 50% off sale on select games...). I gotta say the voice work is top notch here and

SPOILERS AHEAD

Ok, the part where Jenny is murdered by Paulie Estacado blew me away. I was on the edge of my seat in suspense (usually in movies you can anticipate what's going to happen, games are slightly less predictable, not to undermine either art form). The fact that throughout the game you think the Darkness is sort of on your side, and then when it betrays you in the end was a really powerful plot element that I felt was executed brilliantly. Then to top it all of, you get the feeling of Jackie's desperation pounded into you when he kills himself!

Granted, the one big flaw I found with the game was the World War One level (that lightning/pop up soldiers REALLY pissed me off) I am excited to finish it. I love gangland stories to begin with and the fact that they're crossing the supernatural with it (and doing it right) really just makes this game a hidden gem. I really hope this game turns into a franchise if plot permits (I haven't beaten it yet...) and am glad 2K is spreading its wings and making stuff other than the usual bland baseball games.

DedBeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By DedBeet

Yeah, I with you guys on this.  I loved The Darkness and felt it didn't get near the attention it deserved.  I can't believe anyone would question the story telling in this game since, when I think about this game, it's the story that I remember the most.  The 1st encounter with Jenny in her apartment?  Her death?  The scene on the park bench at the end?  These were all moments that impacted me as if they'd come from a movie instead of a video game. 

Ryan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ryan_

it had a good story until the ending when it didn't make sense at all, it just made me say "wow i really just wasted 6 hours of my life"

Ma7moud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ma7moud

The Darkness is amazing the worst thing about it was the main character and the online multiplayer.

wtuo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By wtuo

Definately. The Darkness really stuck out last year in FPS along with Bioshock, but The Darkness really is under-rated. The story was interesting and the voice acting was great, and although the story was a bit wonky towards the end, it's definately a game shooter fans should play...

deaux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deaux

Yes, the end of Act I was amazing -- a really surprising and memorable scene.  Nothing else in game was quite as powerful, I thought.

Serker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By Serker

best torture scene in a video game IMO

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Fantastic game, it totally blew me away. I actually just ended up renting it like a month ago, and I had some doubts going into it, but man, it's truly a phenomenal game. The graphics are superb, the gameplay is enjoyable and fun, the voice acting is about as good as it gets, and so is the motion capture that goes along with it. As for the story, I think it's pretty darn cool. I didn't beat it during my time with the rental, however I'll definitely be getting it for my birthday (by the way, the game is an absolute steal at $20 new). There's one portion of the story where things really change, though I don't want to spoil anything, but you're taken out of the game's normal setting. At that point, I thought the story kind of got a little bit dumb, but they end up pulling it off well enough so that it doesn't really hinder the game at all. The level design is excellent, I have pretty much nothing but praise for the game. It's one of the best next-gen games I've played to date. Everything about the game is impressive, and considering it comes from Starbreeze, makers of The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay, I'm not all that surprised. They're definitely a company I'll be keeping an eye on, I can't wait to see what they have planned next.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By weltal

I think it got a praise it deserved, if I'm not mistaken. I enjoyed it, though.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By clubsandwich
    deaux said:
    "Yes, the end of Act I was amazing -- a really surprising and memorable scene.  Nothing else in game was quite as powerful, I thought."
    Yeah, it was such a memorable moment, TD is definitely one of the saddest games I've ever played, it even made me cry. ):
    Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By Discorsi

what do you mean it was underrated; that was the only good thing aobut that game.  The gunplay was horrific etc.   That's why I couldn't stand playing more  an hour of that crap.  Gah who ever thought shooting guns could suck so much.

Avatar image for radical_little_girl
    Radical_little_Girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cannot wait for The Darkness 2.

This is one of my favorite games that I have played on the xbox. This was a game I rented, and bought right away.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33  Edited By jakob187

This game really gave me confidence in the future of story-telling for video games.  The cutscenes were poignant and necessary, not just there because they couldn't figure out how to work it into the gameplay (like most game studios...*cough*BIOSHOCK*cough*).  As far as the gameplay itself, it definitely wasn't as smooth as Riddick was, but I am more than willing to forgive that since Starbreeze was willing to take this game in places that most games refuse to go.  The only other issue I had with the game was the small areas to actually tool around in.  I always kind of felt alone in the game world.  Hated that.

As far as the story goes, though...it was definitely the best I saw in a game all last year.  Bioshock was great, don't get me wrong...but the "complexity" that everyone talks about being in that story...just doesn't exist.  They are reaching for short straws there.  It's a GOOD story, but better than The Darkness?  I'm sorry, but:

***********************************SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT****************************************************

Whenever Jackie's chick gets fuckin blasted by Jackie's uncle...that's one of the single greatest moments in gaming story history.  Far better than Andrew Ryan saying "KILL ME".
    SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SpecTackle

I had so much fun with this game because of how well the story immersed you. Despite the couple shortcomings in the game mechanics themselves, I still find myself wanting to play through it again.

Doomsayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Doomsayer

After playing this, Bioshock just didn't do anything for me.

LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#36  Edited By LackLuster

One of my favorite games of last year

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.