Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 30, 1996

The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall from Bethesda Softworks is an enormous RPG and sequel to The Elder Scrolls: Arena. It includes a massive gameworld and pioneering freeform play. It was well received for these factors, but was criticised for a number of crippling bugs.

Is the "Random PC Game" feature subscriber-only?

• 138 results
    Henny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Henny

An odd 10-20 seconds ad before a half hour video of shenanigans is tolerable to me personally. 

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By McGhee

I'm trying to decide if you're a troll, an idiot, or both.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By prestonhedges
    @damnable_fiend said:

@gladspooky said:

The thing is, I bought a monthly subscription because I recently got a job and felt like throwing 5 bucks Giant Bomb's way. Apparently that means I'm entitled to "exclusive content." I just find that a bit weird, is all. Thanks for the stuff, I guess, but I'd rather pay for nothing if it meant everyone else could watch everything for free.

I agree that that would be great. but there have been a lot of people saying that the reason they haven't subscribed is that they feel there's a lack of worthwhile exclusive content.

They probably should have just done donations or ads, then, and there would have been nothing to complain about (well, maybe ads, but those are commonplace). Oh well, it's too late for that.
    gexecuter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#104  Edited By gexecuter

Man i can't believe there's so much bitching about a cool little bonus for susbcribers and this is coming from a free member that would love to subscribe again but is too poor to do so at the moment.
    rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#105  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

OH THIS.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#106  Edited By Gabriel

@BulletproofMonk said:

You sure like to blow things out of proportion, Ahmad.

BATTLEFIELD 3 WILL BE THE RECKONING OF PC GAMING!!!!

Concise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#107  Edited By Concise

Okay, I'll bite--and risk getting bitten.

If I'm bored tonight, I might buy a month just for the Daggerfall feature, but I'd just like to know (in a much clearer fashion) what subscriber-only features are going to be guaranteed in the next year before I commit to a premium membership. Hopefully, the Big Live Live Show 2 will clear this up. Being spontaneous and sporadic about site content is fine for the free stuff--it even gives this site a certain charm--but if I'm going to pay for something I need to feel secure in advance that I'll get my money's worth. Based on the amount of subscriber content delivered so far, frankly, I don't really regret not signing up this year, but if it was guaranteed that I'd get more of this kind of thing then, heck yeah, I'd pay.  And before I get yelled at: this statement reflects my personal criteria for spending my own money--I'm not judging people who've been more free with their cash, either because they've got more of it than I do or because their priorities in life lie elsewhere. Still, all the complaining about this one little video suggests to me that GB needs to communicate more clearly about what we get for fifty bucks and then stick to it that list. Treating the membership like it's only a loyalty thing obfuscates a basic truth: once money becomes involved, all members become potential customers and should be treated accordingly.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#108  Edited By Cincaid

From Ryan's twitter:

Angry emailer who claims "I always blocked ads with Adblock anyways!" and "I hope you get mugged and killed by blacks." You sound special.

I guess people really don't like paying for stuff. Classy stuff, whoever sent that email to him.

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#109  Edited By Gerhabio

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Vinny_Says said:

@FritzDude said:

I'm perfectly fine with this as long as they don't, let me repeat that, DO NOT block out regular members with the upcoming Endurance Run and Quick Looks.

Pretty sure they said the new ER would be for subs only

No, they didn't. But I'd want the ER to be subscriber only and I'm glad that they made their first "RPG" video exclusive to subscribers.

I want to get a subscription but, much like the 3DS, I just don't see the value. If they start doing more of these new subscriber-only videos, I'll subscribe.

I'd say most subscribers don't do it for the content value. They do so because they like the crew and want to support them.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@BulletproofMonk said:

That sometimes is true, I know ;p But if you were a long-time regular who isn't subscribed, and you learned that our beloved Dave and Vinny are doing a new funny lets-play kind of video feature of good old school PC games, and you couldn't watch it, you'd feel shitty wouldn't you?

Premium membership on any website or service gives you better extra stuff, more options and "the whole cake", It gives you the better version and more of it, not exclusivity to a sort of thing that everyone would love to see and enjoy.

As a non subscriber I don't see the problem with making a new video feature subscriber only.

Thank you! Thank you! ... good to see there are still some reasonable people out there. Someone else said it in the comments to the video: They need to make new contenten to encurage people to become premium members yet everyone starts complaining when they make new content to attract new subscribers. From what I know Whiskey still doesn't make any money. If you want to see GB in 5 years that has to change at some point so they HAVE to encurage people to pay for some kind of content.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#111  Edited By Milkman

@gladspooky said:

The thing is, I bought a monthly subscription because I recently got a job and felt like throwing 5 bucks Giant Bomb's way. Apparently that means I'm entitled to "exclusive content." I just find that a bit weird, is all. Thanks for the stuff, I guess, but I'd rather pay for nothing if it meant everyone else could watch everything for free.

That doesn't make any sense. How are you shocked that you are receiving exclusive content for your money? If you just got nothing, then no one would pay. I don't see how that's weird. That's like saying you went into McDonald, gave the cashier five dollars and then was shocked when they handed you a hamburger.

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#112  Edited By joey

I'M OKAY WITH THIS

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#113  Edited By Gerhabio

@BulletproofMonk said:

Giving subscribers more value for their money is completely reasonable.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#114  Edited By KarlPilkington

Won't somebody please think of the children!?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#115  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @KarlPilkington said:

Hard not to think of children when you hang around these forums :O
    sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By sjupp

They're not taking anything away so why are people so butthurt? Fuck people.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#117  Edited By ThePickle

@ProfessorEss said:

@KarlPilkington said:

All I can think about is children on these forums.

That... worked better in my head...

I meant the people on these forums bitching about the Daggerfall video are children.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Brendan

@HandsomeDevil said:

@ProfessorEss said:

@KarlPilkington said:

All I can think about is children on these forums.

That... worked better in my head...

I meant the people on these forums bitching about the Daggerfall video are children.

Who you want to think about?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Turambar

The bombcast fiasco: worth complaining about. Getting eye blasters as ads: worth complaining about. This: NOT worth complaining about.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By benpicko

My problem with this isn't that subscribers are getting more features, it's that every single new feature that's appeared has been subscriber only. Things like watching the podcasts live before they go up, the Happy Hour, the Radio Show, and the Big Red Phone are absolutely fine seeing as it's not the reason most regular users come to the site. But it I randomly stumbled upon this site, clicked the link for a video and saw "This is Subscriber only" I'd probably just leave.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By prestonhedges
    @Milkman said:

@gladspooky said:

That doesn't make any sense. How are you shocked that you are receiving exclusive content for your money? If you just got nothing, then no one would pay. I don't see how that's weird. That's like saying you went into McDonald, gave the cashier five dollars and then was shocked when they handed you a hamburger.

This ain't McDonald's, bro, this is the internet. People have been paying Giant Bomb for nothing, as far as I can tell, for over a year. Also, you know that box in front of the cashier's at McDonald's, the one with all the children's faces on it? Yeah, that's a donation box.
    DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By DeF

@FritzDude said:

I'm perfectly fine with this as long as they don't, let me repeat that, DO NOT block out regular members with the upcoming Endurance Run and Quick Looks.

they've said countless times that they don't ever want to take away free content that they had before subscriptions got introduced. why is this an issue? GB has tons of free video content and it's gonna stay that way, the only thing that's changing is they're creating more content for people who decided to subscribe.

the daggerfall video now has almost a thousand comments, most of them about this "issue" ... I just don't get it.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#123  Edited By eroticfishcake

In all fairness you do have to give them credit for at least trying. It's a tough balancing act to make subscribers feel special without making non-subscribers feel left out but love the site just as much i.e. Myself. The only reason I'm not is because subscriber issues just don't appeal to me.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By ch13696
    @KarlPilkington said:

@ch13696 said:

@FluxWaveZ said:
    @CL60 said:
    Just because it's not a regular feature doesn't make it any different.. subscriber or not, they said they would never take content away, simple as that. If they made the ER subscriber only they would be going against that.
    They also said they were never going to do an Endurance Run again and yet...
    Welcome to Giant Bomb. Where they take away what everyone wants and only the subscribers opinion matters.

What has been taken away?

Your mind of course.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @G3RHRT said: 

I'd say most subscribers don't do it for the content value. They do so because they like the crew and want to support them.

I know that. Unfortunately, I don't have enough money to justify just giving it to Giant Bomb as a charity. I need value.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Brendan

@ch13696 said:

@KarlPilkington said:

@ch13696 said:

@FluxWaveZ said:
    @CL60 said:
    Just because it's not a regular feature doesn't make it any different.. subscriber or not, they said they would never take content away, simple as that. If they made the ER subscriber only they would be going against that.
    Welcome to Giant Bomb. Where they take away what everyone wants and only the subscribers opinion matters.

Your mind of course.

I will assume you ignored my last comment because it wasn't filled with curse words that you could get angry at, but let me lay out the facts for you one more time. 2000 non trailer, original content videos on GB this year, 71 subscriber ones. 3.55% None of those 71 videos are current features.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@benpicko said:

My problem with this isn't that subscribers are getting more features, it's that every single new feature that's appeared has been subscriber only. Things like watching the podcasts live before they go up, the Happy Hour, the Radio Show, and the Big Red Phone are absolutely fine seeing as it's not the reason most regular users come to the site. But it I randomly stumbled upon this site, clicked the link for a video and saw "This is Subscriber only" I'd probably just leave.

Good point.
    cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By cstrang

I hope it stays subscriber only, too. I mean, I understand not wanting to "alienate" non-paying memebers, but you gotta show subscribers some love other than 3/4 of a shirt and a lack of ads on the site.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By ch13696
    @Brendan said:

@ch13696 said:

@KarlPilkington said:

@ch13696 said:

@FluxWaveZ said:
    @CL60 said:

Your mind of course.

I will assume you ignored my last comment because it wasn't filled with curse words that you could get angry at, but let me lay out the facts for you one more time. 2000 non trailer, original content videos on GB this year, 71 subscriber ones. 3.55% None of those 71 videos are current features.

I didn't ignore. Just didn't see it. Anyways, yeah I don't give a shit any more. For now on, my comments will consist of: 

• Don't care
    • Fuck off
    • Suck a cock
    • What the fuck is in my food?

Since people like to give away their money so they can download videos, watch content that can easily be done during anyone's free time, and to get a free t-shirt. I believe that no one is in their right mind to listen to my valid arguments.
    falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By falling_fast

that's why Dave agreed to add a subscriber icon to all subscriber video links. so now you won't accidentally click those links.

@ ch13696

refreshing to see some honesty in here, at least.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#131  Edited By Milkman

@gladspooky said:

@Milkman said:

@gladspooky said:

This ain't McDonald's, bro, this is the internet. People have been paying Giant Bomb for nothing, as far as I can tell, for over a year. Also, you know that box in front of the cashier's at McDonald's, the one with all the children's faces on it? Yeah, that's a donation box.

That's false. I haven't been paying Giant Bomb for nothing. For past year, subscribers got the Happy Hour every week, TNT archives on the site, HD video and the mobile site. Now, Giant Bomb has decided to give us some more bang for a buck but that's shady business, according to some people around here. This isn't a donation and it never has been.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#132  Edited By ajamafalous

They need something to entice subscriptions, so they're using a new video feature to try to do that. There is nothing wrong with what they're doing.

ThePilgrums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By ThePilgrums

@ch13696 said:

I didn't ignore. Just didn't see it. Anyways, yeah I don't give a shit any more. For now on, my comments will consist of:

• Don't care
    • Fuck off
    • Suck a cock
    • What the fuck is in my food?
    Since people like to give away their money so they can download videos, watch content that can easily be done during anyone's free time, and to get a free t-shirt. I believe that no one is in their right mind to listen to my valid arguments.

Gee, I wonder why nobody is taking such a clearly mature, intelligent person seriously. "This gentleman telling me to suck a cock does make a good point..." There, is that better?

And "content that can easily be done during someone's free time"? What content are you looking at? Professional grade HD video capturing equipment, live streams with multiple HD cameras they switch between on the fly, thousands of gigs worth of harddrives, high quality podcast equipment... Yeah, this is a real cheap, simple operation these guys are running. Why isn't all the content free?

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a pointless topic. 

pekoe212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By pekoe212

@gladspooky said:

@damnable_fiend said:

@gladspooky said:

I agree that that would be great. but there have been a lot of people saying that the reason they haven't subscribed is that they feel there's a lack of worthwhile exclusive content.

They probably should have just done donations or ads, then, and there would have been nothing to complain about (well, maybe ads, but those are commonplace). Oh well, it's too late for that.

Donations? Seriously? Most people would only donate once, if at all. How could they have a consistent income?

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Subjugation

I'm totally out of my mind thinking I might get something for my fifty dollars. I appreciate those of you who have corrected my wayward thinking.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:

I'm trying to decide if you're a troll, an idiot, or both.

I'm definitely not a troll, so this thread could be idiotic. Then again Metal_Milis and SeriouslyNow put this into perspective and I don't mind it anymore, but sure you didn't care enough to keep reading ^^

@Gabriel said:

@BulletproofMonk said:

BATTLEFIELD 3 WILL BE THE RECKONING OF PC GAMING!!!!

lolwat? BF3? reckoning of PC gaming? it got butchered by the limitations the consoles forced on it, it's anything but a true PC game.. A lot of missing features, lack of proper lan and mod and server support, the maps and core gameplay have been watered down and simplified..

So no, not really.

ThreePi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By ThreePi

I think people are being a bit naive thinking that a 30 second ad at the begining of videos is the golden bullet to financing the content. There's probably a better chance that subscriber-only content remains subscriber-only, and ads are added to the already free stuff. People need to take a step into the real world, If you want ad revenue to pay for this website you're not going to get little pre-video ads, you're going to get floating ads, wallpaper ads, intersital ads.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.