Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released May 01, 2002

The third entry in Bethesda's series of expansive first-person role-playing games. Arriving on the island of Vvardenfell as a prisoner, the player character is caught up in an ancient prophecy, as well as a power struggle between factions, races, and gods incarnate.

question about questing vs exploring

css_switchfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By css_switchfoot

I've been slowly playing Morrowind Overhaul 2.0 the past few months. I've been mostly following the beginning quests and exploring nearby ruins/tombs that I happen to run into. The main question i have, is should I stick to doing the quests or is it wise to explore? Can i break quests by exploring? I run into a lo tof NPCs at daedric ruins who have no unique dialogue, and I haven't found too much of interest during my exploring. I'd probably complete the game a lot quicker if I just did quests. Will I miss alot by doing that?

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By rollingzeppelin

Exploring is a huge part of Morrowind, the game will tell you if you kill a vital NPC so i wouldnt worry too much about that. Explore to your hearts content I say!

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PeasantAbuse

It is possible to break quests in Morrowind because you can kill any NPC in the game, but if you kill someone that is needed to complete the main quest the game will let you know so that you can load a save if you want to. It's up to you if you want to spend time exploring or only do quests, but for me half the fun of Elder Scrolls games is just wandering around and finding cool stuff on my own. I think that if you were to stick to the main quest you would be missing out on a lot that Morrowind has to offer.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By EquitasInvictus

Definitely explore! All the Elder Scrolls games have really well-developed worlds with a nice variety of dungeons so take advantage of it!

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morrowind is an interesting one. The main quest line is there for you, but it's usually the last thing I do, and only when I feel up to exploring inside the Ghostfence (that place freaked me out the first time playing) Explore the world, visit towns, spelunk in caves (but be careful, unlike Oblivion or Skyrim, stuff does not level to you, so you could run into some big nasties).

Join the guilds, there are so many, and they have a lot of stuff to do, and perks that come with them. And every guild eventually sends you on a quest where you will run into some of the legendary items in the game, and they have some sweet ass stats/perks. Also you get to build a stronghold! Guilds are the best part of Morrowind hands down.

Nothing of significance happens to the world when you beat the main quest, it is just done, so there is no real reason to rush it. Just be careful who you kill, cause you can perma-kill a main quest guy if your being a dick or do something wrong, there is no Oblivion or Skyrim pussy mode of "knocking them unconscious" (how does a sword to the head just knock you unconscious?)

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@css_switchfoot said:

I've been slowly playing Morrowind Overhaul 2.0 the past few months. I've been mostly following the beginning quests and exploring nearby ruins/tombs that I happen to run into. The main question i have, is should I stick to doing the quests or is it wise to explore? Can i break quests by exploring? I run into a lo tof NPCs at daedric ruins who have no unique dialogue, and I haven't found too much of interest during my exploring. I'd probably complete the game a lot quicker if I just did quests. Will I miss alot by doing that?

I suppose it depends on what you want out of the game. Don't forget that you don't get experience for completing quests, that only using your skills increases their viability. Knowing that, you should be mindful that shit in this game is not leveled to scale with you at all, and that trying to blow through the quests will probably lead you into a face-to-face encounter with an enemy you cannot handle. Or a group of enemies.

If I'm not mistaken, there were some questline dungeons that straight up couldn't be explored without a high Acrobatics skill, because there's a bit of abstract platforming you'll have to undergo.

So, long story short, I'd explore for a bit. Don't be afraid of quests, but keep a running list of saves so you have available backups if you saunter yourself into a corner.

css_switchfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By css_switchfoot

thanks for the answers, I was mainly worried about ruining future qeusts by exploring ruins too early. I am loving the game so far. I can't believe I missed out on this one when I was growin' up.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By HH

i remember when i opened up the map for the first time, saw how big it was, saw how little i'd uncovered, and decided to forget all quests and just try to cross it, from one end to the other, i never went back to the quests, ever, and elder scrolls became my one true game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.