Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released May 01, 2002

The third entry in Bethesda's series of expansive first-person role-playing games. Arriving on the island of Vvardenfell as a prisoner, the player character is caught up in an ancient prophecy, as well as a power struggle between factions, races, and gods incarnate.

Returning to Morrowind...with Mods

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

Edited By ArcBorealis

The Elder Scrolls is my favorite RPG series ever. There are lots of things about it that I love. The large amount of land you get to explore, the customizable characters and classes, the amount of quests and things to do, the lore, and so much more. I never took notice of the series until Oblivion, and Greg Kasavin's review of the game. Made me check out both that and Morrowind, and I had a lot of fun playing them (it also helped me make a new friend when I got into Jr. High). I ultimately ended up owning Morrowind, not only because it was cheaper than Oblivion in '06 back then, but only because I couldn't really do anything about buying Oblivion as I was not 17 at the time (and I'm still not 17 yet, either. I hate being a minor). 

So, I have Morrowind, I played through the game a lot when I first got it. Game of the Year addition, with Tribunal and Bloodmoon. Had a lot of fun, and now I've decided I should get back into the game. 

But this time, with Mods. 

Mods are something I have no idea why I did not take advantage of them when I got the game. Always thought they were a bit confusing to implement, but doing them now, it was rather easy. I guess it's because I'm more comfortable downloading from websites nowadays (so long as I know they are good sites). 

I tinkered around with some to see how they worked. I liked it, and since they were easy to implement, I got excited and a bit carried away as I kept stacking them on top of each other. But, going around on the internet I found a 12 step guide for modifying Morrowind, with recommended mods and utilities. Including the one mod that makes me excited at the whole prospect of it: Tamriel Rebuilt. 

I remember looking at the site and what was being worked on before any maps were publicly released. The idea of going beyond the island of Vvardenfell just sounded nuts, and rather ambitions. I didn't check for couple years until '09, and I saw that already they had two parts of the mainland completed (though the second map has no quests). It's still great to see when going to their website that they're still working very hard. I'd be rather heart broken if they gave up. 

So I made it through the 12 step guide last week and have been testing how well the mods work. Better bodies and the texture replacements just make this game look so much better, compared to how ugly the unmodded version is. Add some quest extenders, AI companions, randomly generated NPCs and Quests, plus the Unofficial Patch, I cannot picture myself playing Morrowind in it's original form ever again. Looks and feels so much better, and that's enough to make me even more happy at the fact that I'll be playing through this grand adventure again. 

So, mods are completed, and I've been working the past few days outlining how I'm gonna tackle as many of the quests as possible. It's already proven to be impossible to complete every single quest in the game. So, after looking at walkthroughs, and taking into account various conflicts (Fighters and Thieves guild enmity, Vampirism unabtainable after corprus cure, etc), I have outline how I will tackle the quests on Vvardenfell before heading to the mainland. 

Main Quest (Report to Caius Cosades, 1st mission) 

Temple 

Vampire Quests 
    Aundae, Berne, or Quarra 

Main Quest (continue to end) 

Tribunal Main Quest (beginning to end + optional palace missions) 

Bloodmoon Main Quest (beginning to midway point)
    Midway point: Human or Werewolf 
    Bloodmoon Main Quest (Hircine's Hunt) 

East Empire Company Quests (beginning to midway point)
    Midway Point: Falco or Carnius 

Great House Quests 
    Hlaalu, Redoran, or Telvanni 

Thieves Guild  

Fighters Guild  

Mages Guild  

Imperial Cult 

Imperial Legion 

Morag Tong 

City, Town, and Fort Quests (quests originating from these locations) 

Ashlander Clan Quests 

Daedric Shrines 

Wilderness Quests 

Mournhold & Solstheim Misc Quests 

And finally, The Mainland. 
    I'm sure hardly anyone would want to, or even try to complete as many quests as possible. But me? I'm an insane completionist, so either I'm really dedicated or I'm just stupid. We'll see. 

Now, how I'm gonna tackle the spots that require you to take sides? Well, when it gets to that point, like joining one of the Great Houses for example, I'll set up separate save files, each one dedicated to that particular side. I'll play through them all, and after evaluating my enjoyment for the quests provided, I'll take the side I liked the most and have my character continue from there. They may not all be on one save file, but I'll still have played through the quests regardless. 

So yeah, a pretty big goal, but I'm in no real hurry. I'll simply be taking in the adventure at my own pace, as my scheduled playthroughs for my backlog will be unaffected. Speaking of which, I'll be starting Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy (as Luigi) tomorrow. Already completed Wind Waker and Galaxy (as Mario). 

Tomorrow is when I start Morrowind again. This'll be fun.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#1  Edited By ArcBorealis

The Elder Scrolls is my favorite RPG series ever. There are lots of things about it that I love. The large amount of land you get to explore, the customizable characters and classes, the amount of quests and things to do, the lore, and so much more. I never took notice of the series until Oblivion, and Greg Kasavin's review of the game. Made me check out both that and Morrowind, and I had a lot of fun playing them (it also helped me make a new friend when I got into Jr. High). I ultimately ended up owning Morrowind, not only because it was cheaper than Oblivion in '06 back then, but only because I couldn't really do anything about buying Oblivion as I was not 17 at the time (and I'm still not 17 yet, either. I hate being a minor). 

So, I have Morrowind, I played through the game a lot when I first got it. Game of the Year addition, with Tribunal and Bloodmoon. Had a lot of fun, and now I've decided I should get back into the game. 

But this time, with Mods. 

Mods are something I have no idea why I did not take advantage of them when I got the game. Always thought they were a bit confusing to implement, but doing them now, it was rather easy. I guess it's because I'm more comfortable downloading from websites nowadays (so long as I know they are good sites). 

I tinkered around with some to see how they worked. I liked it, and since they were easy to implement, I got excited and a bit carried away as I kept stacking them on top of each other. But, going around on the internet I found a 12 step guide for modifying Morrowind, with recommended mods and utilities. Including the one mod that makes me excited at the whole prospect of it: Tamriel Rebuilt. 

I remember looking at the site and what was being worked on before any maps were publicly released. The idea of going beyond the island of Vvardenfell just sounded nuts, and rather ambitions. I didn't check for couple years until '09, and I saw that already they had two parts of the mainland completed (though the second map has no quests). It's still great to see when going to their website that they're still working very hard. I'd be rather heart broken if they gave up. 

So I made it through the 12 step guide last week and have been testing how well the mods work. Better bodies and the texture replacements just make this game look so much better, compared to how ugly the unmodded version is. Add some quest extenders, AI companions, randomly generated NPCs and Quests, plus the Unofficial Patch, I cannot picture myself playing Morrowind in it's original form ever again. Looks and feels so much better, and that's enough to make me even more happy at the fact that I'll be playing through this grand adventure again. 

So, mods are completed, and I've been working the past few days outlining how I'm gonna tackle as many of the quests as possible. It's already proven to be impossible to complete every single quest in the game. So, after looking at walkthroughs, and taking into account various conflicts (Fighters and Thieves guild enmity, Vampirism unabtainable after corprus cure, etc), I have outline how I will tackle the quests on Vvardenfell before heading to the mainland. 

Main Quest (Report to Caius Cosades, 1st mission) 

Temple 

Vampire Quests 
    Aundae, Berne, or Quarra 

Main Quest (continue to end) 

Tribunal Main Quest (beginning to end + optional palace missions) 

Bloodmoon Main Quest (beginning to midway point)
    Midway point: Human or Werewolf 
    Bloodmoon Main Quest (Hircine's Hunt) 

East Empire Company Quests (beginning to midway point)
    Midway Point: Falco or Carnius 

Great House Quests 
    Hlaalu, Redoran, or Telvanni 

Thieves Guild  

Fighters Guild  

Mages Guild  

Imperial Cult 

Imperial Legion 

Morag Tong 

City, Town, and Fort Quests (quests originating from these locations) 

Ashlander Clan Quests 

Daedric Shrines 

Wilderness Quests 

Mournhold & Solstheim Misc Quests 

And finally, The Mainland. 
    I'm sure hardly anyone would want to, or even try to complete as many quests as possible. But me? I'm an insane completionist, so either I'm really dedicated or I'm just stupid. We'll see. 

Now, how I'm gonna tackle the spots that require you to take sides? Well, when it gets to that point, like joining one of the Great Houses for example, I'll set up separate save files, each one dedicated to that particular side. I'll play through them all, and after evaluating my enjoyment for the quests provided, I'll take the side I liked the most and have my character continue from there. They may not all be on one save file, but I'll still have played through the quests regardless. 

So yeah, a pretty big goal, but I'm in no real hurry. I'll simply be taking in the adventure at my own pace, as my scheduled playthroughs for my backlog will be unaffected. Speaking of which, I'll be starting Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy (as Luigi) tomorrow. Already completed Wind Waker and Galaxy (as Mario). 

Tomorrow is when I start Morrowind again. This'll be fun.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By eroticfishcake

Morrowind is a fantastic game. A lot of things I didn't like about it as well though, clunky combat system and a fucking awful journal. I could nag and poke at much more but the mods rectify a majority of them. Anyway, here's a tweak guide if you're running on a low spec PC. Helped me a lot back then.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude

I have Morrowind sitting on my hard drive. I have most of the mods mentioned on that site. The game does look a lot better. Dragon Age has taken up my time for now, but I'm sure I will visit again soon. Good luck in your endeavor.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By august

Morrowind Graphics Extender is pretty much the best thing ever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.