Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released May 01, 2002

The third entry in Bethesda's series of expansive first-person role-playing games. Arriving on the island of Vvardenfell as a prisoner, the player character is caught up in an ancient prophecy, as well as a power struggle between factions, races, and gods incarnate.

What is the best way to enjoy Morrowind?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#1  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Alright. I'm redownloading it from steam as I type this, as I've decided to give Morrowind a 50th chance (like a battered wife with an abusive husband) However, this time I want to ask you people of the internets what the best way to enjoy the game is (and if your answer is "Wander around, get lost, and then die and have to reload from your save that you made 2 hours prior", I will consider that the wrong answer) I don't necessarily want to play as a straight up fighter, but are mages and stealthy characters too gimped at the start? Any mods that you might recommend? Any sort of advice of what to do in the early parts of the game? Any help on this issue would be appreciated. Any berating would be less than appreciated.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

The best way to enjoy it is to not play it. Seriously, if you've tried it already and didn't like it, its probably not for you.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I've always liked playing as a thief/stealthy type. 

Join House Hlaalu and the Thieve's Guild as soon as you can. Both factions have bases in Balmora, which is convenient since it's one of the first cities you're going to be spending a lot of time in.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Hailinel

Find a mod that removes Cliff Racers from the game.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By blackbird415

I generally play as a light warrior style play. I go straight to the cave just out side of the town your in. I do a few quests around that area then find myself at the fighters guild doing missions there. After a while those mission take a while to do

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @President_Barackbar: I can clearly tell that there is an enjoyable game to be had in Morrowind. It's just the part where I can never get past the first few hours.
    blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By blueduck
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " @President_Barackbar: I can clearly tell that there is an enjoyable game to be had in Morrowind. It's just the part where I can never get past the first few hours. "
    My first magic guy was a summoner and it was pretty fun. I used "Conjuring"  I think thats the school and destruction.
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By shiftymagician

First off, don't just be a warrior.  The best parts about this game is exploiting the power of the magic schools along with your general role direction.  Sure with money and potions you could be a fair warrior and do the usual warrior-esque combat patterns and mannerisms that most people use given the class-type, however being a master of all trades (yes this is possible) will be the best experience you can have in Morrowind.

Depending on how patient you are, there are two ways to go about this.  If you think you are impatient, choose major and minor skills that you would enjoy using the most.  I like to summon monsters to distract, as well as use paralyze from illusion to disable opponents.  Also I like to learn the soultrap from mysticism to gather enemy souls in gems, and either enchant weapons and armor with them or sell them for some sweet cash (Oh yea look for the Creeper in Caldera if you want to sell, as he always sells base price.  He is in one of the houses).  

If you are very patient, make sure "none" of your favourite skills are in the major or minor skill lists.  Why would you do this you may ask?  Well since you like using them often, you can have the freedom of levelling them up as much as you like and only level up via the skills you dislike.  This gives a huge advantage when wanting to go for the 5x multipliers for increasing attributes per level, as you can level up two of your preferred skills 10 times, then just level up one of your major/minor skills 10 times to level up.  Make sure the three skills to level up match up to three different attributes for the maximum attribute bonuses.

Also, learn Alchemy!!  Morrowind lets you stack up alchemic effects, so you can do crazy things like increase intelligence a few times with a potion, only to make more intelligence potions.  Repeat the process to gain an insane amount of intelligence, then you can enchant some almost-game-breaking effects into your weapons and armour such as restoring health per second, or enchanting several armour pieces for 100% chameleon, literally making you invisible and able to kill anyone without being spotted.

Lastly, do the guild quests and if you have them, the expansions.  They generally always reward you with interesting loot that you can take advantage of when you go about completing the main quest.  I enjoyed the traversing of the world a lot though to be fair the dated graphics can only be overcome by nostalgia.  If you wish to make the game look a little more pleasing, just look around for that morrowind mod compendium and install as per the instructions.  It is pretty easy to install and manage mods though make sure you read the instructions just in case.

If my advice doesn't sound like stuff you might enjoy, then you are probably better suited just waiting for Skyrim, whilst playing some other games to pass the time.  This game is still great, however it doesn't make it easy for some players to go back to.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By RichardLOlson

I enjoyed the game a lot.  I think if you just stick it out, you'll find that it can be enjoyable also.

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By sumbog

Cheat, bring up all your skills, thats the only way to make that game fun, at least for me.

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Malakhii

Read some FAQ's so you have an idea of how to play the style you want. I'd say caster is probably the most fun, but for my first playthrough of the elder scrolls games I always just bash stuff as an orc.  

@Hailinel said:

" Find a mod that removes Cliff Racers from the game. "

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I only enjoyed Morrowind and Oblivion by making some goals for myself, totally separate from the actual missions and objectives in the game.  For instance, I decided to make a pair of gauntlets once, one to create a city sized fireball around me, and the other to render me invulnerable to said explosion.
    Another character, I decided to collect every silver dagger I came across in the game and give it a different enchantment so that I had an armory of 20 or so knives that did everything from drain magic to melting the weapons out of your hands.

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MaddProdigy

High...best way to play Morrowind is high as a mofucka...

gazel_ministry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By gazel_ministry

I started playing it again about 3 months ago myself. I play it at random intervals between other games to break up the monotony.  First time I played it I was a mage. Now I’m going the warrior way and finding it much, much easier hacking and slashing my way through.   Just completed the Fighter’s Guild.  I recommend playing with headphones to enjoy the amazing soundtrack in this game. As tired as I sometimes get of the scenery I never get tired of the music.   

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jeffgoldblum

By playing Oblivion, and, or waiting for Skyrim.

Zajtalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zajtalan

after a good sesh.... 

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#17  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Shifty Magician really nails it well.  Personally, I think enchantments in the game are pretty spectacular.  Creating some items with permanent enchantments like levitation and a regeneration factor can be immensely useful, so keep an eye out for grand soul gems, high powered conjuration spells, and the soul trap skill.  Beyond that, I like a mix between a warrior and a mage, though a thief is pretty viable if you have the patience to go that route.  

Usually, if I go that route, I'll concentrate my skills on sword, medium armor, conjuration, and the skills for healing and enchantment.  For my secondaries, I like to toss in alchemy and a second weapon and armor set, just as a kind of backup. 

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By monetarydread

Download the Morrowind 2011 graphical update. People in the scene are complaining about the mod using other peoples work, yet I don't care. It's every graphic mod combined under one download, with one installer, and then tweaked so there isn't any problems.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By CL60
    @MonetaryDread said:
    " Download the Morrowind 2011 graphical update. People in the scene are complaining about the mod using other peoples work, yet I don't care. It's every graphic mod combined under one download, with one installer, and then tweaked so there isn't any problems. "
    Where can I find this, and does include better heads and better bodies?
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By ch13696
    @MonetaryDread said:
    " Download the Morrowind 2011 graphical update. People in the scene are complaining about the mod using other peoples work, yet I don't care. It's every graphic mod combined under one download, with one installer, and then tweaked so there isn't any problems. "
    Yeah, it's almost 4GB worth of download, but very much worth it. Anyways, what the hell is a "cliff racer"?
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Driadon
    @Malakhii said:

"
    AUIJDSAKJJUI*&(%( *&! This image is the greatest thing I've ever seen.
    Caegn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Caegn

Forget the main quest.  Screw around and do whatever you want.  Wanna be powerful?  Console cheat.  Wanna Kill everyone and strip them naked?  Do it.  Want them to really be naked?  There's mods for that.  Decide you wanna play straight?  Play straight.  Do whatever you want when you want.  When you get bored, quit and play something else.  It's just a game, not a job.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23  Edited By metal_mills

Download this:

http://morrowind2011.wordpress.com/

@Caegn

said:

" Forget the main quest.  Screw around and do whatever you want.  Wanna be powerful?  Console cheat.  Wanna Kill everyone and strip them naked?  Do it.  Want them to really be naked?  There's mods for that.  Decide you wanna play straight?  Play straight.  Do whatever you want when you want.  When you get bored, quit and play something else.  It's just a game, not a job. "

The main quest is great.
    matt_f606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By matt_f606
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    " By playing Oblivion, and, or waiting for Skyrim. "
    Agreed! Oblivion is a fantastic RPG.
    Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By the_hiro_abides

I always have to min/max Morrowind and Oblivion. So I keenly remember times where I spent an hour just casting fireballs until the associated skill goes up by 10 for the level up or sneaking behind a guard constantly.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By august

Pick a guild or faction you like and do their quests.

There's no reason to wander aimlessly unless you want to.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By monetarydread
    @CL60: 

The old site is down and this is the new one. The real version is 1.7gig and I am pretty sure I also saw it available on bigdownload.com
    beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By beej
    @ch13696 said:
    " @MonetaryDread said:
    Yeah, it's almost 4GB worth of download, but very much worth it. Anyways, what the hell is a "cliff racer"? "
    How do you not know the abject frustration that is jumping up and swinging to try and kill that motherfucking flying monstrosity, oh sure you could just ignore it, but that's what they want! They want to just follow you, slowly driving you mad.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @ShiftyMagician: Thanks. I don't really want to power game, because I find that that ruins a lot of the fun for me, but I will take the rest of your advice into consideration. Guess I won't be a pure fighter.

And for those telling me to get the Morrowind 2011 graphical update: There's no way in hell my computer could run it.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By melcene

My own thoughts... be careful with content mods.  I mean, this was just me, but personally I ended up inundating myself with mods and never completed the actual game because I was having too much fun with the mods.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By Vinny_Says

with a lot more lube

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Aronman789

"
    This picture....................I hate people now. 

Anyway, join house Telvanni, fuck Hlaalu, and go a mixed character, take alteration and the tower as your sign, and steal anything valuable. 

Or make an absurd character and run with it.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MrKlorox

At least get the Morrowind Graphics Extender for the sake of a proper balance between draw distance and performance. In vanilla, it kills my performance sooo hard when I crank up the draw distance to look like modern games. With this mod, it both looks and performs better than vanilla.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#34  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @ArbitraryWater: 

Well...  well....  well...

If you had asked me this question a day ago, I would have said wandering AND questing were awesome. I have found out that those are clearly fucking incompatible, as looting a bit too much means you can destroy quests down the road, yet questing too much might make random adventuring troublesome in spots and destroy the sense of discovery.  There are actually points in the main quest where they say you should run around a bit and get stronger, but even then there are times that if you do that without knowing what items are going to be needed later, you could, possibly, ruin your game.

That said, I guess the PC version is a lot easier to fix.

*punches a wall*

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.