Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Game » consists of 31 releases. Released Mar 20, 2006

Travel the continent of Tamriel, defend the land against Oblivion's Daedra hordes, and help fill the empty throne of Cyrodiil in the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

A few Oblivion gameplay questions.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I just clocked my 7th hour in this game, and i have some questions: 

1. I'm 7 hours in, ive seen tons of "skill increased!" notifications for many skills on the upper left corner of the screen, yet my character is still level 1. I understand that the character levels up when you do things related to the character's specialty, and my character is a warrior so why hasn't all my killing leveled me up yet ? How do i level up?
    2. Where do i get lockpicks? are they only acquired by chance through looting? 
    3. Can i put out torches like in the Thief games? they expose me a lot while i'm creeping around in underground caves.
    4. There's something i don't understand: This game's world is a mixture of a world where there's a kingdom and law and law enforcers, and a world where you roam around, looting and killing freely.  
    So how do i know which killing/looting is allowed by the law and which isn't? How do i know that when i kill random people in some underground cave, it wont bite me in the ass later on as a crime ? I guess what i'm asking here is, what are the borderlines of law-breaking in Oblivion ?

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Aronman789

1. Sleep
    2. Buy them from Thieves guild 
    3.not sure 
    4.Don't kill anyone that doesn't hit you first, you can loot anyone.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Ramone

1. You have to sleep to increase your level.

2. I'm pretty sure you can buy them from the thieves guild. If your character is good at alteration you could just buy an unlocking spell

3. Turn your brightness up

4. If you are attacked first it's fine to defend yourself, if you're looting something illegally the hand symbol will be red same for breaking into certain places.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By FreakAche

1. Once you gain ten levels in any of your major skills (class skills) a small arrow appears near the bottom of the screen. This indicates that the next time you sleep in a bed, you will level up. 
    2. Some members of the thieves guild sell lockpicks as well as this one hooded guy who just stays in one place outside the walls of the Imperial City. 
    3. You mean torches in the scenery? No, unfortunately you cannot put those out in vanilla Oblivion, but I believe there is at least one mod for that. 
    4. It is legal to kill creatures as well as people who attack you on site, such as bandits, vampires, etc. As for looting, you will know if taking an item will be considered stealing because if you put your cursor over it, the loot icon is red instead of the usual brown.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By UnrealDP

1. Only the skills you marked at the start of the game level you up and in order to level up you have to sleep in a bed.

2. You can buy them from thieves guild merchants.

3.No.

4.If someone sees you murder someone then its a crime while you can only kill people who attack you first or else its murder.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By TobbRobb

Caves=free to loot, cities and houses, not so much.
    When the skills you chose as major reach a point, you have to go to sleep and assign points, the game notifies you of this.
    No you can't mess with torches in vanilla.
    Lockpicks are loot and can be bought from the thieves guild if you join.

The leveling system is convoluted as hell, I recommend looking up a faq or something to understand it fully.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO JUMP.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TobbRobb
    @Rolyatkcinmai: ALL THE TIME, ACROBATICS IS THE BEST SKILL.

No seriously, at 100 you can jump high as FUCK.
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Hizang

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

I just clocked my 7th hour in this game, and i have some questions:  1. I'm 7 hours in, ive seen tons of "skill increased!" notifications for many skills on the upper left corner of the screen, yet my character is still level 1. I understand that the character levels up when you do things related to the character's specialty, and my character is a warrior so why hasn't all my killing leveled me up yet ? How do i level up?2. Where do i get lockpicks? are they only acquired by chance through looting? 3. Can i put out torches like in the Thief games? they expose me a lot while i'm creeping around in underground caves.4. There's something i don't understand: This game's world is a mixture of a world where there's a kingdom and law and law enforcers, and a world where you roam around, looting and killing freely.  So how do i know which killing/looting is allowed by the law and which isn't? How do i know that when i kill random people in some underground cave, it wont bite me in the ass later on as a crime ? I guess what i'm asking here is, what are the borderlines of law-breaking in Oblivion ?

Aquire the Skeleton Key to get rid of Question number 2!

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@TobbRobb said:

@Rolyatkcinmai: ALL THE TIME, ACROBATICS IS THE BEST SKILL. No seriously, at 100 you can jump high as FUCK.

Yeah seriously lol. I remember jumping onto roof tops and from building to building quite regularly.

ExportA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ExportA

Some good questions here, I'll go through one by one: 

1. The leveling system in Oblivion is somewhat complicated, but it breaks down like this; You have 7 major skill that were determined when you chose your class. To level up you must get 10 skill increases in any of your major skills, then sleep in a bed. There should be an icon next to your compass when you are ready to level up.  Sleeping is essential, waiting will not suffice.

2. Lockpicks are commonly found in dungeons and on the bodies of NPCs, but they can also be purchased from thieves' guild fences and occasionally other merchants.

3. No, you usually can not extinguish torches in the environment. Having a torch or any other luminous item equipped will make you easier to detect.

4.  This is a difficult question, but for all intents and purposes the divide between legal and illegal comes down to three questions:

i) What colour is your cursor? If your cursor is red when you put it over a door, entering would be trespassing. Similarly if your cursor is red when you put it over an item, taking it would be stealing. If your cursor is the normal colour, these acts are legal.
    ii) Are you on a quest? NPCs will often overlook illegal acts if they are part of your current quest.
    iii) Can anyone see you? Drop into sneak mode. If the eye is faded, no-one can see you and you can get away with whatever it is you're doing. If the eye is lit up however, you're spotted, and someone will raise the alarm if you do anything illegal.

And finally, killing hostile NPCs is almost never illegal, and murdering bandits in a cave will not come back to haunt you in any way.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By emkeighcameron

DO

NOT

GET

VAMPIRISM

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Aishan
    @emkeighcameron: I could not disagree more, Vampirism in Oblivion is easily manageable.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @FreakAche said:
    1. Once you gain ten levels in any of your major skills (class skills) a small arrow appears near the bottom of the screen. This indicates that the next time you sleep in a bed, you will level up.
    Ok.. i'm very confused when it comes to those skills and classes and levels etc etc.. too many skill menus in this game, i don't know which ones you're referring to.

@Jonny7892 said: 

If your character is good at alteration you could just buy an unlocking spell

Woah there's an unlocking spell? *Goes through the mindfucking process of "How do i acquire a spell? Do i need a certain skill or ability to have/be able to use that spell? hey, speaking of spells, the firey ball section in the Tab menu is full of weird magicy items, not all of them are spells, what the hell are those other things? Uh fuck it, i don't want that unlocking spell, it feels too far to reach* 

----------------------- 

@Jonny7892 said:

If you are attacked first it's fine to defend yourself

@FreakAche said:
    4. It is legal to kill creatures as well as people who attack you on sight, such as bandits, vampires, 
    @UnrealDP said: 

4.If someone sees you murder someone then its a crime while you can only kill people who attack you first or else its murder.

What about when i'm creeping about in a cave and i see someone standing by a door. I almost know for a fact that they would attack me if they detect me, yet i'm unable to determine whether they're evil or good. I just pull out my bow and sneak shoot them so they don't alarm others to my presence.. is this how you guys play too ? 

----------------------------- 

@FreakAche said:
    2. Some members of the thieves guild sell lockpicks as well as this one hooded guy who just stays in one place outside the walls of the Imperial City.
    @TobbRobb said:
    That's another thing- I heard about the game being especially awesome for having those 3 guilds, but i have no idea where to find them, and how joining them would disrupt my freedom to roam all over the map.. what hooded guy outside the walls of the Imperial City? the imperial city is huge 
    this whole game is huge, it feels impossible to find what you need.
    FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FritzDude

1. Sleep 
    2. Merchants and fences too
    3. No 
    4. If the cursor is red on an item then it is illegal, and it will be triggered as stealing. It's the same on doors etc. Usually when people attack you first then you may attack back. If you can hold the block button and press the enter/use button some enemies may forgive you. Usually normal civilians won't attack you at first but give you a warning if you do something stupid/illegal.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ramone

In terms of buying spells there are magic shops in, I think, all of the major towns and spells can also be bought from certain Mages Guild members who appear in the buildings in each of the major towns.

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Aishan
    @Ahmad_Metallic said: 
    Ok.. i'm very confused when it comes to those skills and classes and levels etc etc.. too many skill menus in this game, i don't know which ones you're referring to.
    Basically, a class in Oblivion is: 
    - A list of seven Major Skills - these are things like Blades, Heavy Armor, Alchemy, Restoration, etc. 
    - Two favoured attributes - these are the "standard" RPG stats like Strength, Endurance, Intelligence etc. 

You level up by raising any of your major skills a total of 10 times. i.e. if you have 5 raises in Blades, 2 in Restoration, 1 in Alchemy, 2 in Heavy Armor you will be ready for a level up. This is denoted by a small arrow icon on the side of your screen. You need to find a bed (or bedroll, anything that lets you Sleep instead of Wait) and rest, the level-up screen will pop up then.

If your character is good at alteration you could just buy an unlocking spell

Woah there's an unlocking spell? *Goes through the mindfucking process of "How do i acquire a spell? Do i need a certain skill or ability to have/be able to use that spell? hey, speaking of spells, the firey ball section in the Tab menu is full of weird magicy items, not all of them are spells, what the hell are those other things? Uh fuck it, i don't want that unlocking spell, it feels too far to reach*
    The unlocking spell effect is just called "Open". It's based on your Alteration skill, and even if you have a really low Alteration skill you can obtain a basic one very cheap from one of the Mages Guilds (there's one in every major city). I believe you're even given one for free as part of the Bruma Mage Guild quest.

There are different sorts of spells you can learn, the menu is sorted into groups: Ranged, Touch, Self. The spell descriptions will tell you which is which. There are also "Powers" which are spells that can only be cast once per (in-game) day, but cost no Magicka to use. These are usually based on your race.

If you are attacked first it's fine to defend yourself

4. It is legal to kill creatures as well as people who attack you on sight, such as bandits, vampires, 

What about when i'm creeping about in a cave and i see someone standing by a door. I almost know for a fact that they would attack me if they detect me, yet i'm unable to determine whether they're evil or good. I just pull out my bow and sneak shoot them so they don't alarm others to my presence.. is this how you guys play too ? 
    Generally, if they're in a random cave, they're free game. There's few exceptions. 

That's another thing- I heard about the game being especially awesome for having those 3 guilds, but i have no idea where to find them, and how joining them would disrupt my freedom to roam all over the map.. what hooded guy outside the walls of the Imperial City? the imperial city is huge this whole game is huge, it feels impossible to find what you need.      
    Specifically, the guy you're looking for is Shady Sam, just outside the West gate, exiting via the Plaza District of the city and just north of the Chestnut Handy Stables. 

If you're really curious about the Thieves Guild talk to beggars specifically, they'll help you out -- and don't worry, it wont really affect your ability to travel around, provided you can steal without accumulating a bounty.                         
    Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zithe

@Ahmad_Metallic:

Everyone else seems to have answered most of your questions by now, but I just wanted to give you a little more information. You might not want to go on a leveling spree if you are new to the game, because everything in the game, all the enemies in the world, all of the quests in the game, everything gets harder in difficulty as you level up. It scales with you. And it gets really tough.

As for your confusion on skills, at the beginning of the game when you are escaping through the sewers, the game asks you to choose a birth sign and a class, remember? The class you chose has six or seven "primary skills" that define what you specialize in. Those skills are the ones that cause you to level up when you increase them.

One last thing. If you are in a dungeon, I can almost guarantee that the person you see standing around is not going to be friendly. I don't think I've ever run into this situation. I'd also like to throw in that I love Conjuration magic. Makes combat so much easier since you can summon a monster to tank for you while you smack the enemy from behind.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#19  Edited By natetodamax

@Ahmad_Metallic: Wow, nobody has mentioned Shady Sam. He's a guy outside the walls of the Imperial City who sells lots of lockpicks. It's where I get all of mine.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TobbRobb
    @Ahmad_Metallic: The regular guilds can be found in all cities except the imperial one. They have their own Guild houses with their own insignia, guards can give you directions. As for the not so obvious ones, which is the thieves guild and my personal favorite, "The Dark Brotherhood", you have to fill a certain requirement. For the Dark Brotherhood you have to kill an innocent "and then shit goes down" and the thieves guild has a meeting place in the waterfront, beggars can give you more details.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Aishan said:
    @Ahmad_Metallic said: 
    Basically, a class in Oblivion is: 
    - A list of seven Major Skills - these are things like Blades, Heavy Armor, Alchemy, Restoration, etc. 
    - Two favoured attributes - these are the "standard" RPG stats like Strength, Endurance, Intelligence etc. 

You level up by raising any of your major skills a total of 10 times. i.e. if you have 5 raises in Blades, 2 in Restoration, 1 in Alchemy, 2 in Heavy Armor you will be ready for a level up. This is denoted by a small arrow icon on the side of your screen. You need to find a bed (or bedroll, anything that lets you Sleep instead of Wait) and rest, the level-up screen will pop up then.                                                             
    I see. well, is it normal to be 7 hours into the game and have this? :

No Caption Provided
    Clearly there's much more to go before i reach whatever it is im supposed to reach (the 10 raises you talked about). I've been sneaking, killing with my blade, blocking, wearing armor during combat.. what am i missing ? 

The unlocking spell effect is just called "Open". It's based on your Alteration skill, and even if you have a really low Alteration skill you can obtain a basic one very cheap from one of the Mages Guilds (there's one in every major city). I believe you're even given one for free as part of the Bruma Mage Guild quest.

There are different sorts of spells you can learn, the menu is sorted into groups: Ranged, Touch, Self. The spell descriptions will tell you which is which. There are also "Powers" which are spells that can only be cast once per (in-game) day, but cost no Magicka to use. These are usually based on your race.

Specifically, the guy you're looking for is Shady Sam, just outside the West gate, exiting via the Plaza District of the city and just north of the Chestnut Handy Stables.  If you're really curious about the Thieves Guild talk to beggars specifically, they'll help you out -- and don't worry, it wont really affect your ability to travel around, provided you can steal without accumulating a bounty.                         
    Ok thanks for the spell explanation, and for specifying Shady Sam's location :)  
    I think i have to read a wiki about spells and potions and all those other misc stuff like Chamellion or whatever its called. Also need to read a wiki on how to make use of ingredients, i have a ton. 
    Btw i love the way you arrange the quotes and reply to them! Very neat, kudos. 

@TobbRobb said:
    @Ahmad_Metallic: The regular guilds can be found in all cities except the imperial one. They have their own Guild houses with their own insignia, guards can give you directions. As for the not so obvious ones, which is the thieves guild and my personal favorite, "The Dark Brotherhood", you have to fill a certain requirement. For the Dark Brotherhood you have to kill an innocent "and then shit goes down" and the thieves guild has a meeting place in the waterfront, beggars can give you more details.
    This is exactly what im talking about.. I hate to be a tool but in real time while in-game, finding those people and having "shit go down" seems impossible.. like it never happens, or like i always do it wrong. 
     Anyway thanks for the info, i'll make sure to look for the thieves guild the next time i enter a town.
    TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TobbRobb
    @Ahmad_Metallic: Actually for the brotherhood you only have to kill an innocent and the quest will pretty much start itself so you don't really have to do much ^^. And to clarify for the thieves guild, the quest starter is in the imperial city area called waterfront and you have to bribe the beggars in the persuasion window, otherwise they'll just lie about stuff.
    SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SlightConfuse

i recommend getting the skeleton key as fast as you can. you need to be level 5 i believe to start the quest.

every time you level up it will say you should sleep. when you do one of your main skills such as acrobatics or swords you get xp.

for the guilds the fighters guild has two bases in chedyhaal and and anvil. the theves guild you have to go to the water front slums and complete the race at midnight. for the best guild in the game(dark brotherhood) you have to kill a civilian and then sleep, you will be woken up by a stranger who will give you a guest.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By dillonwerner
    @slightconfuse said:

i recommend getting the skeleton key as fast as you can. you need to be level 5 i believe to start the quest.

every time you level up it will say you should sleep. when you do one of your main skills such as acrobatics or swords you get xp.

for the guilds the fighters guild has two bases in chedyhaal and and anvil. the theves guild you have to go to the water front slums and complete the race at midnight. for the best guild in the game(dark brotherhood) you have to kill a civilian and then sleep, you will be woken up by a stranger who will give you a guest.

And as soon as you get the Skeleton Key don't even bother trying to pick the lock, just keep jamming the auto-attempt until it unlocks since they key will never break.
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By august

@Ahmad_Metallic: Sneaking won't advance your level because it's not one of your primary skills.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#26  Edited By project343
    @Ahmad_Metallic: Let me melt your mind for a second here with the skill / leveling system. 

When you acquire 10 skill-ups to your 7 primary skills (chosen at the start), you level up. You can see this progress by the bottom of the skills page (which is in your screenshot). When you level up, you'll notice a large icon next to your compass. This is telling you that you need to level up and attribute skill points. 

When you level up, you choose 3 attributes to increase. There is a bonus to the attribute if you've skilled up enough "associated" (see: blades' association to strength) skills. You need to have obtained 10 strength-associated skill-ups to receive the max bonus of +5 strength on level up. Effectively, this translates to +1 at 2, +2 at 4, +3 at 6, +4 at 8, and +5 at 10. 

Now, the enemies scale with your level. At level 1, you can beat the entire game no problem. At level 30, you can beat the game no problem. If you're a bit of a min-maxer, you'll notice that you can have "more efficient" leveling up (gaining +5 stats each level to your 3 most important stats). If you micromanage your skill-ups so that you gain this +5, you'll be severely overpowered the higher level you get. And if you only get +1, then you'll be severely underpowered the higher you get.  

So what does all this mean? This means that your goal is to get 10 skillups in endurance-related skills, 10 skillups in strength-related skills, and 10 skillups in agility-related skills BEFORE that icon appears. So, you'll need to work on your non-primaries to attain those 30 points without leveling. And I say "BEFORE" because your stat bonuses on level-up are "set in stone" the minute that you ding. You can't continue to work on stat bonuses after that point in order to increase the bonus.

-- 

Sidenote about "murder." Like others have stated, it's not murder if you're attacked first. But what if you want someone killed without the penalty? Simple. Within the illusion skill set is a "frenzy" ability. If you have this skill, you can force the "friendly" person to attack you, and kill them in self-defense without losing any karma or being fined. 

Cheers.
    marvin_martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By marvin_martian
    @Hizang said:
    Aquire the Skeleton Key to get rid of Question number 2!
    Truth.  Most useful item throughout the course of the game IMO.
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By project343
    @marvin_martian: Azura's star shakes it's fist at you, rogue-thing.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @project343:  Thanks for the detailed post. It did melt my mind, and since it's 4:30 here i barely understood anything 

I shall read it again tomorrow and see what i make out of it. In the mean time, can you tell me how to get my 7 skills to progress efficiently? as a warrior? I've been killing alot and using armor and everything
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

I just clocked my 7th hour in this game, and i have some questions:  1. I'm 7 hours in, ive seen tons of "skill increased!" notifications for many skills on the upper left corner of the screen, yet my character is still level 1. I understand that the character levels up when you do things related to the character's specialty, and my character is a warrior so why hasn't all my killing leveled me up yet ? How do i level up?2. Where do i get lockpicks? are they only acquired by chance through looting? 3. Can i put out torches like in the Thief games? they expose me a lot while i'm creeping around in underground caves.4. There's something i don't understand: This game's world is a mixture of a world where there's a kingdom and law and law enforcers, and a world where you roam around, looting and killing freely.  So how do i know which killing/looting is allowed by the law and which isn't? How do i know that when i kill random people in some underground cave, it wont bite me in the ass later on as a crime ? I guess what i'm asking here is, what are the borderlines of law-breaking in Oblivion ?

1. Sleep
    2. Join the Thieves Guild, their fences always have a ton of lockpicks, you can quicksave before attempting to lockpick and quickload if you fail, at level 10 you can complete a deadric quest that will give you the unbreakable skeleton key.
    3. No, just avoid them, or increase your sneak skill, or get a chameleon/invisibility spell
    4. You can kill anyone that attacks you first, everyone else is off limits unless you're alone, and the Gray Prince. If you accidentally attack someone use block+activate to offer a yield. 
    Damn you Metallic, now i want to play Oblivion...fuck where's my disc?
    Also, for any more questions you might have about any Elder Scrolls game visit the Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages 
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By project343
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

@project343:  Thanks for the detailed post. It did melt my mind, and since it's 4:30 here i barely understood anything 

I shall read it again tomorrow and see what i make out of it. In the mean time, can you tell me how to get my 7 skills to progress efficiently? as a warrior? I've been killing alot and using armor and everything

Like I said, the game scales to your level. So leveling up isn't always a good thing. I believe the game is balanced assuming that you're gaining +2-3 points per stat per level. If you aren't meeting this, you're actually becoming weaker by leveling. Other than that, you're looking for this wiki compilation. A great way to level up armor and weapon skills is through Shagrol--a sparring partner that comes with the Fighter's Stronghold DLC. If you bought the deluxe edition on Steam, you'll already have this content. Just follow through on the quest, and you'll unlock him. He does no damage, and is entirely invincible. 

You earn heavy armor experience for each hit taken (unrelated to damage) with heavy armor equipped. And for weapon skills, again, it's for each hit, not each point of damage. Just mash away at Shagrol for hours and you'll be level 25 in no time (but you'll probably get your ass handed to you by all the level 25 monsters due to your stat allocation).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.