After you finish the main questline...

#1 Posted by Royale (158 posts) -

So I popped this game back in and restarted after only playing 15 hours about a year ago and am really enjoying it.  I'm playing a different class and am getting pretty involved in the quest lines, etc...  but I have 1 question.

Without any spoilers... after you finish the main quest line can you continue on with your side quests, guild progression, character advancement, etc.. or does the game end?  Rephrase - is there a save point of no return?  I just don't want to get stuck.

Thanks.
#2 Posted by Grilledcheez (3958 posts) -

After you play through the main quest you can still do everything else. :)

#3 Posted by Atlas (2457 posts) -

You still get to play the game after you've beat the main quest. Although in truth finishing the main quest is one of the things I tend to do last. I want those Oblivion gates open as long as possible so I can get as many Transcendent Sigil Stones to power up my armour and weapons with badass enchantments.

#4 Posted by Bass (692 posts) -

Yeah. As far as i know, the only thing you can't do after the main story line is access oblivion gates.

#5 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -

No, this game isn't like Fallout 3 in that way. Do what you want, son!

#6 Edited by Royale (158 posts) -

Awesome.  I wasn't planning on just blasting through the main story, but wanted to be sure that if I did want to just finish it I could still do all the guild stuff etc...

I'm currently involved in the mages guild quests and and fighter's guild and have been invited to join the dark brotherhood by killing some old man.  I want to save the sneaking around/evil stuff til after I'm done being a good boy.

#7 Posted by HistoryInRust (6407 posts) -
Atlas said:
"You still get to play the game after you've beat the main quest. Although in truth finishing the main quest is one of the things I tend to do last. I want those Oblivion gates open as long as possible so I can get as many Transcendent Sigil Stones to power up my armour and weapons with badass enchantments."
Royale, you want to heed this post, particularly. 

Roam the country side, explore ruins, build your character.  Do the side quests first, things like the Arena, the Dark Brotherhood, and then try to start the main quest. 

Savor the experience.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.