Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Game » consists of 31 releases. Released Mar 20, 2006

Travel the continent of Tamriel, defend the land against Oblivion's Daedra hordes, and help fill the empty throne of Cyrodiil in the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

Crashes While exploring the outside world

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By armaan8014

I might have had almost ALL the crashes possible with all possible causes in this game, but i've gotten past all of them now, but I can't seem to get past this one.

While exploring the outside world (anywhere except cities, dungeon interiors etc.) My game tends to crash constantly. Its as if the graphics in some areas are too much for my rig, and it can't take it any more so it crashes.

But that shouldn't be the case since my computer isn't so bad-

2gb ram
    8600gt 512mb geforce card
    core 2 duo@2.2ghz
    rest isn't important.

Ive got a lot of mods, but i don't think thats the reason, since i doubt they clash with each other. Though if needed, i could post them up for you.

I just installed unofficial patch 3.2 ( after 1.0.2416 or whatever was recommended), and   streamline 3.0. Though they seem to have improved performance, the game still randomly crashes while exploring.

Is my comp not good enough to run on even high settings? or is there a problem with the mods?  Help would be appreciated as ive grown tired of saving a million times (564 to be exact), and im not able to enjoy the game.

Thanks!

Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
    kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

does it crash even if youve set it on low graphics?

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By armaan8014

not on very low. But since i can run newer games on ultra high - high, i should be able to run this one around high, shouldn't i?

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By armaan8014

The resolution doesn't make a difference does it? i've set it on 1440X900   (i've a 17" monitor)

kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

if its fine on low graphics, then the crashes would probably be due to resource strain. Try scaling back the draw distance or get more ram.

personally,

my specs are
    4gb ram
    8800gt
    P4 HT 3.2ghz <---!
    and some other stuff

ran perfectly with everything maxed out inclusive of all those graphics mods out there.

21inch monitor though 1280x1080 (or something) resolution.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Funzzo

A friend of mine has this game on about the same rig.  He has about 25 gigs worth of mods running and it crashes all the time.  Check for conflicting mods, also the order in which you apply the mods is important. Do you have the mod that makes it so the cities are always there(no loading when going in and out of buildings). This mod is a huge cpu drain.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By armaan8014

i posted a pic of the mods but its disappeared. Ill post another one-

No Caption Provided

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By armaan8014

ok the pic is a bit small, but im majorily running francesco's mods, natural environments, Theives arsenal, and the uofficial patch - 3.20

the patch seems to be conflicting with francesco's mods. ( ive got a conflict report.  Any1 know how to read those?)

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r

Clean install the game, run it, see if it crashes. If not, add mods one by one, run it, see if it crashes, etc. Will find the cause for sure like that.

kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Al3xand3r said:
    " Clean install the game, run it, see if it crashes. If not, add mods one by one, run it, see if it crashes, etc. Will find the cause for sure like that. "
    have you tried reinstalling oblivion and installing all the mods, fools work!
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By armaan8014

Actually i did that and when that didn't work, i thought there was no other way than the forums.
    I uninstalled, reinstalled, and put the official patch in and ran it but the save crashed since the mods were on when i'd saved the game.

I'll reinstall again and load a save without the mods and see if that works. Ill reply back when im done.Thanks for the help!

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By armaan8014

how do i make a modless save in the first place though?
    if i load a game without the mods that it was saved with, the load will crash. hat now?

kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

time to wear a hat, im out of ideas.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @armaan8014 said:
    " how do i make a modless save in the first place though?if i load a game without the mods that it was saved with, the load will crash. hat now? "
    Don't load a save, use the alternate start mod (just that) and start a new game. This way you'll begin in the Imperial City port instead of the sewers as normal, so you can quickly start wandering the wilderness and testing for crashes. Make a save for the future tries too, so that you don't have to create a new character every time.
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By armaan8014

thanks, ill try that.. so that means ill lose my character/save?

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By armaan8014

Alright, the game's working. I reinstalled the game and put in the mods one by one. Seems like the culprit mod was francesco's add on new creatures or something. I tested it on all heavy areas and it didn't crash even once.

So I put all my old saves back, but it crashed. But then soon I discovered that i'd forgotten to put one or two irrelevant mods back, hence the crashes.

So now all is fixed, and i can finally play the game in peace..

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

Scieran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Scieran

Looks like i'm alittle late to help.
    Anyways, for future reference - http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:System_Requirements

NVIDIA GeForce 8600 seriesNoYesNoNo?NoHigh - Game can be runned up to high, not very high.
    Mods are always flawed and in this case, they don't always become friendly with each other. Your most probable cause of the crashes you've encountered are either having your settings too high or having a mod which is incompatible with another thus causing ingame issues. I could've told you that the minute I saw your problem but I was abit late.
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By armaan8014

Well actually the game is running great on ultra high settings with 1440X900 res and other mods like natural environments and 4096X4096 lod textures. The problem was only with the mod.

Thanks anyways!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.